PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Doomwheel basic Qs

Samurai33
09-02-2011, 09:45
Gents,

I'm starting to get to grips with my new Skaven army and have a couple of Qs on the Doomwheel:

1) I read in the latest WD that Doomwheels can only move in a straight line. Where is this described in the BRB or SAB? Am I then allowed to change direction on the DW in the next compulsary movment phase before rolling movement distance?

2) If the DW moved in the compulsary movement phase am I still allowed to charge in that same turn? I.E move 3d6 then charge (using Swiftstride?). And can I change direction before charging?

3) If no units, friendly or foe is within range of the Zzap bolts do I still have to roll for strength/misfire?

4) The SAB describes that a DW in dangerous terrain must take X amounts of X strength hits. Does this come in addition to the potential hits (if failing a dangerous terrain test) as described for chariots in the BRB?

Any inputs wil be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

theorox
09-02-2011, 09:49
1) Random movement is done like this: (The doomwheel has this rule obviously) Pivot the model on the spot and roll the dice. (3D6 for the DW). Move the model the distance rolled in a straight line.

2) No. You can not move regularly. A unit with Random Movement can never charge, only contact enemy units, wich then counts as a charge.

3) I thought there was something in the rules about Zapping yourself...? If not, the shot is wasted.

4) Check the Errata/FAQ. :)

Theo

Ultimate Life Form
09-02-2011, 09:51
1.) See 'Random Movement' in the BRB.

2.) See 1.)

4.) This whole thing has been overwritten. The Skaven FAQ details what happens.

Samurai33
09-02-2011, 10:18
Thanks guys. Just what I needed.

Wilhelm das Blutige
28-04-2013, 23:09
I see what Samurai33 is saying in point 1. Nowhere does it say that the Doomwheel can only move in a straight line, either the BRB, SRB or Errata and FAQs. (Printing it somewhere in a random White Dwarf just isn't good enough).

This is another typical poorly thought out rules oversight by GW, who really need to proof-read their rules before publishing them.

Referring to Compulsory Moves in the BRB, 'Other Compulsory Moves', it says "units forced to move in the Compulsory Moves sub-phase...follow the normal movement rules, unless clearly stated."

In the SAV, under 'Rolling Doom' it "clearly states" ;..."The Doomwheel moves and maneuvres like a chariot" and "The Doomwheel...moves a random 3d6" in the Compulsory Movement..."

This reference to a random 3d6" movement does NOT indicate that the direction of movement is fixed or even random, just the distance, nor that the Doomwheel cannot turn during it's movement. If it was intended for this to be so then it should have been CLEARLY STATED.

If the Doomwheel is supposed to be subject to the Random Movement special rule (p74 of the BRB), then this should have either been listed in the Special Rules for the Doomwheel, or referred to as such in the Rolling Doom ruling ("...a random 3d6"..." is just not specific at all).

Furthermore, as the Doomwheel is clearly a lone model, it can pivot as much as it likes during its move at no penalty, as stated under 'Lone Models and Movement' on p27 of the BRB.

I can understand why people would want to believe that the Doomwheel's direction of movement is not entirely under the control of the player, it does after all make it an extremely powerful and unbalanced (in terms of game-play) weapon. Unfortunately, GW made a complete mess of defining the Doomwheel's moving ability properly, and haven't even corrected or properly defined it in the Errata and FAQ (and I'll bet they've had numerous questions on this matter too).

Blkc57
29-04-2013, 03:39
I see what Samurai33 is saying in point 1. Nowhere does it say that the Doomwheel can only move in a straight line, either the BRB, SRB or Errata and FAQs. (Printing it somewhere in a random White Dwarf just isn't good enough).

This is another typical poorly thought out rules oversight by GW, who really need to proof-read their rules before publishing them.

Referring to Compulsory Moves in the BRB, 'Other Compulsory Moves', it says "units forced to move in the Compulsory Moves sub-phase...follow the normal movement rules, unless clearly stated."

In the SAV, under 'Rolling Doom' it "clearly states" ;..."The Doomwheel moves and maneuvres like a chariot" and "The Doomwheel...moves a random 3d6" in the Compulsory Movement..."

This reference to a random 3d6" movement does NOT indicate that the direction of movement is fixed or even random, just the distance, nor that the Doomwheel cannot turn during it's movement. If it was intended for this to be so then it should have been CLEARLY STATED.

If the Doomwheel is supposed to be subject to the Random Movement special rule (p74 of the BRB), then this should have either been listed in the Special Rules for the Doomwheel, or referred to as such in the Rolling Doom ruling ("...a random 3d6"..." is just not specific at all).

Furthermore, as the Doomwheel is clearly a lone model, it can pivot as much as it likes during its move at no penalty, as stated under 'Lone Models and Movement' on p27 of the BRB.

I can understand why people would want to believe that the Doomwheel's direction of movement is not entirely under the control of the player, it does after all make it an extremely powerful and unbalanced (in terms of game-play) weapon. Unfortunately, GW made a complete mess of defining the Doomwheel's moving ability properly, and haven't even corrected or properly defined it in the Errata and FAQ (and I'll bet they've had numerous questions on this matter too).

Brother, you must keep up with the times, the Rolling Doom section you are quoting doesn't exist anymore. As per page 5 of the Skaven errata:

Page 67 – Doomwheel, Rolling Doom. Replace this special rule with the following:
“The Doomwheel has the Random Movement special rule, with the following exceptions.
-If the move takes it into a friendly unit, the creature will inflict D6+1 S6 Hits, distributed in the same manner as shooting attacks, and then stop 1" away from the unit (or flee through it if it is fleeing).”
-The Doomwheel treats terrain in the same manner as a Chariot.”

The Rolling Doom rule hasn't existed since 8th edition was started, there has been an errata on this for a very long time. You must follow all the rules for Random Movement, sorry amigo.

Wilhelm das Blutige
29-04-2013, 07:03
Brother, you must keep up with the times, the Rolling Doom section you are quoting doesn't exist anymore. As per page 5 of the Skaven errata:

The Rolling Doom rule hasn't existed since 8th edition was started, there has been an errata on this for a very long time. You must follow all the rules for Random Movement, sorry amigo.

Thank you for this. Yes I found it under Amendments (not Errata).

However, "The Rolling Doom rule hasn't existed since 8th edition was started" is wrong. It is in the latest army book, and as GW haven't done a newer army book since 8th edition started, then this is the book to be used for 8th edition (including the Errata, amendments etc. on GWs website). It HAS existed. It has just been overwritten and replaced by the Amendment.

Finally, you are not my brother.

FatTrucker
29-04-2013, 07:57
Doomwheel movement has been errata'd.
Doomwheel picks a direction, pivots, rolls 3D6 then moves the indicated number of inches straight forward in that direction.
If the movement brings it into B2B contact with another unit, it counts as a charge.
It only treats terrain in the same way as a chariot, it doesn't move like one.

Doomwheel fires its lightning automatically in every friendly shooting phase regardless of proximity of other units. If you don't want it to fire you must pass a Ld test.

Borgomos
29-04-2013, 08:04
Except that it is not in the latest army book. The armybook AND the amendments\changes from the FAQ's combined are the latest armybook.

Wilhelm das Blutige
29-04-2013, 13:12
The latest army book is that thing with pages that you pay good money for and contains the rules for your particular army.

The Errata and FAQ is what GW puts up on its web-sites to correct errors that they could have sorted out before even publishing the book by proof-reading it (and having at least a basic understanding of the English language).

Even then, they still can't get it right, which is why the FAQs are updated every few months.

Kalandros
29-04-2013, 14:04
Anyway, case closed due to the Errata/Amendments which are official rulings.

dementian
29-04-2013, 17:23
The latest army book is that thing with pages that you pay good money for and contains the rules for your particular army.

The Errata and FAQ is what GW puts up on its web-sites to correct errors that they could have sorted out before even publishing the book by proof-reading it (and having at least a basic understanding of the English language).

Even then, they still can't get it right, which is why the FAQs are updated every few months.

The Skaven book was written before the 8th Edition Rulebook was released. That is why the Skaven book does not reference the Random Movement rule directly in it's pages. You know...since you can't reference something that doesn't exist yet.

Cool it with the attitude as well. Can't believe you corrected someone for calling you brother...

OmegaMan
02-05-2013, 12:09
I was wondering about the Doomwheel's movement rule too, so I'm glad I saw this. The Rolling Doom rule in the Skaven book isn't too well written. Thankfully, the Amendments in the Errata and FAQ clears this up.

The Skaven book was written before the 8th Edition Rulebook was released. That is why the Skaven book does not reference the Random Movement rule directly in it's pages. You know...since you can't reference something that doesn't exist yet.

Cool it with the attitude as well. Can't believe you corrected someone for calling you brother...

Some people can take offence by being called brother, especially if it is from someone they do not know. Looking at the original posting, it does seem a bit condescending and I for one would not want to be referred to in such a manner (unless it was from my real brother or we both belonged to some kind of brotherhood).

death tail
02-05-2013, 13:16
this thread is 2 years old. i cant see the point in bringing it back to life.