PDA

View Full Version : Core rules question (infantry weapons)

nurglespuss
09-02-2011, 15:20
Hi all,

well basically, I rather daftly (while constructing/painting my Tomb Kings army) made a unit of skeletons with hand weapons and shields, without realising of course that they cannot really take hand weapons and shields...

We-ell, I was wondering (as per pg88 of the new rule book) as every model 'has a hand weapon' could I choose to pay for them to have spear shield, but then 'choose' not to use the spear and play the hand weapon and shield instead?

I know its a weird one, I'm not trying to ben any rules, i just haven't olayed fantasy for quite soem time, and don't fancy going back through the unit and addin spears to their backs/bases etc.

Any help much appreciated!

Ultimate Life Form
09-02-2011, 15:25
If they have Spears, they have to use them.

nurglespuss
09-02-2011, 15:27
Ah ok, fair enough. Just out of interest is there something in the rule book that says that (not that I doubt you, I'm just in work :P ). I know they introduced it in 40k (no more 'turning off' power fists), but am interested to hear that it has made it into 8th ed fantasy.

Thanks.

Torpedo Vegas
09-02-2011, 15:30
If in the unit description it specifies that they have Spear and Shield, you cannot choose to use the hand weapon, but it can be "counts as" a spear, as we don't have to deal with WYSISYG, just telling your opponent should be enough.

Ultimate Life Form
09-02-2011, 15:30
That would be p.89, 'Close Combat Weapons'.

nurglespuss
09-02-2011, 15:35
Thanks all, thats really cleared things up!!

yes, I don't think opponents will mind the visual difference :)

Thanks again!

Masque
10-02-2011, 02:28
Um, it's free for Tomb King Skeletons to trade their bow for a shield. They have to pay a point to get the spear too. Don't pay the point, problem solved.

Chris_
10-02-2011, 02:40
It is as Masque says. They come equipped with HW and Bow, just switch the Bow for the Shield as listed and don't upgrade to Spears and you are set.

You don't need to take an upgrade, that rule is only there if you do take it and/or it is included by default as for Dark Elves Warriors for example.

AMWOOD co
10-02-2011, 06:33
You don't need to take an upgrade, that rule is only there if you do take it and/or it is included by default as for Dark Elves Warriors for example.

Except Chaos Warriors and Chosen. They need to take an upgrade.

nurglespuss
10-02-2011, 07:56
Thanks Masque and everybody, doh! I can't believe I missed that one!

Now I can have a big unit with hand weapon and shield :)

brill!

Chris_
10-02-2011, 08:39
Except Chaos Warriors and Chosen. They need to take an upgrade.Yes, obviously if it says they must take an upgrade they, in fact, must take an upgrade... ;)