PDA

View Full Version : Original names of the Legions

Sigis
09-02-2011, 16:41
Some of the Legions were renamed when their Primarchs were found or after a notable event.

Current name - Original name
World Eaters - War Hounds
Black Legion - Sons of Horus - Lunar Wolves
Blood Angels
Death Guard - Dusk Raiders
Ultramarines - Warrior Kings (of Ultramar?)
Iron Hands
Emperors Children
Dark Angels - The First Legion
Imperial Fists
Space Wolves
Thousand Sons
Salamanders
Raven Guard
Word Bearers - The Imperial Heralds
Alpha Legion
White Scars
Night Lords
Iron Warriors

Did any of the other ones change their names as well?

BlackLegion
09-02-2011, 16:57
Space Wolves = Vlka Fenryka
Dark Angels = The First

Sigis
09-02-2011, 19:55
I thought the Vlka Fenryka was more of what they called themselves than what they were named originally. Some of the Legions actually fought on Terra during the unification wars is seems like, and I doubt they would have a name in the Fenrisian tongue at that time. Ex: Imperial Fists at Roma.

Deus Mechanicus
09-02-2011, 20:06
Word Bearers -- The Imperial Heralds

Icarus
09-02-2011, 20:31
I have to say I think Dusk Raiders and War Hounds sound better.

I don't know what the Emperor's Children were called, but they presumably had a name before Fulgrim named them as such when he was presented with his legion.

Baron Spikey
09-02-2011, 21:33
Some of the Legions were renamed when their Primarchs were found or after a notable event.

Current name - Original name
World Eaters - War Hounds
Black Legion - Sons of Horus - Lunar Wolves
Blood Angels
Death Guard - Dusk Raiders
Ultramarines - Warrior Kings (of Ultramar?)
Iron Hands
Emperors Children
Dark Angels - The First
Imperial Fists
Space Wolves
Thousand Sons
Salamanders
Raven Guard
Word Bearers
Alpha Legion
White Scars
Night Lords
Iron Warriors

Did any of the other ones change their names as well?

The Dark Angels were just called The First Legion, rather than 'The First'.

Where does it say the Ultramarines used to be called the Warrior Kings?

Scalebug
09-02-2011, 21:40
Well, there hasn't really been that much on the subject before the HH series, it should be remembered that this falls under background that was not given much explaination when it first was introduced, so it initially looked a lot like they, first chapters and then legions, have just been given names that were cool/punny (YMMV), and by total coincidence in most cases happened to be reunited with their respective Primarch, and the guy happened to have a totally fitting name (eg. Ferrus Manus). Lucky that! :D

We do know that the Thousand Sons did not change their name, as they were codenamed from the first batch of 1000 marines created from Magnus genetic material.

And the Emperors Children are likely to have been named that from the start, being for some unclear reason a bit favoured (The whole being allowed the Emperors eagle as their insignia and such).

The rest I will go with a bit of cautious conjecture;

Iron warriors and Imperial Fists are names that sounds like they could have been accepted and kept without changing when they re-joined their Primarch.

Alpha Legion likely to have been renamed, for their little brother complex, and their Primarchs name.

"Primarchs name" thing with the Raven Guard and likely Night Lords and, renamed after their leaders name (or dark superhero-style nom de guerre).

White Scars... Tribal scarring sounds like something the warrior culture who raised their Primarch would have been into, doesn't it? Likely a renaming. Of course, it could also have been something they did before finding him, and possibly even introduced to that world.

Iron Hands, Blood Angels, Salamanders, Space Wolves... seems obvious they were renamed after finding their Primarchs; named after features of him, or features of his adopted homeworld or culture.

Word Bearers. Seems like a thing their Primarch would have choosen, being a religious nut raised by monks...
Emperor: Here are your warriors, Lorgar, created in your image, from your genes. It is your prerogative to name them should you so choose...
Lorgar: Word Bearers!
Emperor: Ehh, ok... sure you don't want something more martial? Or maybe you have some ferocious animal on your planet? What is the word anyway?
*Lorgar bursts into song and silly Family Guy-inspired dance*
Lorgar: Heh, no, but seriously, your word, Father."
Emperor: Ok, fine. Just don't go creating some religion or anything about it, we are trying to have an enlightened galactic civilisation here...

FabricatorGeneralMike
10-02-2011, 03:08
It seems to me that they just went by their Legion numbers ie The first Legion- Dark Angels, Fifteenth Legion- The Thousand Sons.

Remember the Legions where created in the Image of their Primarch.

I was thinking about this last night actually. It states that The Thunder Warriors (ie mkI spacemarines)that where used in the Unity Wars wouldn't be strong enough to help the Emperor reclaim the stars for mankind. But then we get guys like Iacton 'The Half Heard', Garro the staunch Terran and Heoroth Longfang of the Rout.

So where these guys the newbreed of Space Marines the Emperor needed to conquer the stars? Did they figure out how to enhance them like they did with some of the Primarchs followers? What happened to the Rest of the Thunderwarriors? How did the Emperor build his flagship that landed on Mars without the help of the Mechanicum? How did the orbital plates stay functioning during the Age of Strife? Where they built afterwards? Where was the Primarch project really located? some sources say it was in the Imperial Dungions some fluff sources say it was on Luna.

I guess I could go on and on, but just some food for though. =o]

rob1992
10-02-2011, 09:07
I vaguely remember something about the Thunder Warriors going insane and dying, but I don't know where from. Qruze, Garro, Heoroth Longfang and Ahriman were all proper marines, they were from Terra and part of their respective Legions prior to their Primarch being discovered. I have a feeling Garro reminisces (sp?) about being a Dusk Raider at some point.

Vlka Fenryka means the Wolves of Fenris, so I'd guess that Space Wolves was just a bastardisation of that, but that's another one that had to have been named after finding their Primarch (it doesn't answer the question of why one of the oldest Wolves just happens to have a Nordic/Fenrisian name though).

Idaan
10-02-2011, 11:08
Iron warriors and Imperial Fists are names that sounds like they could have been accepted and kept without changing when they re-joined their Primarch.

Dorn means "Fist" in Gaelic or Irish, so unlikely that they were called that before meeting him.

Iuris
10-02-2011, 11:42
And Dorn also means thorn in German. Sometimes, references can get too hard to pin down to a single possible source...

Rakoun
10-02-2011, 13:11
And Dorn also means thorn in German. Sometimes, references can get too hard to pin down to a single possible source...

Oh come on now; this one is really too obvious to be misunderstood, their entire iconography is based on hands, they are the Emperor Fists, and their Primarch is literally called Rogal 'Hand' (which could even be understood as a deformation of Regal Hand > Emperor Fists). It ties up way too well to be a coincidence.

What in the warp would thorns have to do with that?

Scalebug
10-02-2011, 13:36
Dorn means "Fist" in Gaelic or Irish, so unlikely that they were called that before meeting him.

Cool, did not know that. So that would put them in the "renamed after Primarch" camp then.

(And in the real world, "punny"... :p)

shadowhawk2008
10-02-2011, 14:53
Well for the Blood Angels, Sanguinius happens to have been raised by the Baalite tribe known as 'The Blood' isn't it, which accounts for their name I would suppose.

CrimsonTider
10-02-2011, 17:41
In "Prospero Burns" the wolves often refer to themselves as "The Rout". And they laugh at the idea of being called Space Wolves.

Sigis
10-02-2011, 20:02
I am really not convinced that "The Rout" is an original name of the Legion though. It seems more of a nickname than a legion name. The definitions of the term Rout seem to be more on the side of a nickname.

sonofhades
10-02-2011, 20:48
I never remembered if the majority of the Legions had they're original names released ever, in any of the story arc's i've read over the years.

The Alpha Legion were only created 2 decades before Alpharius was discovered when he was attacking a Luna Wolves cruiser so if they ever had a name or designated number or some fancy acronim i don't know, though i believe K.G.B suits them well :D

Londinium
10-02-2011, 20:55
The Dark Angels were just called The First Legion, rather than 'The First'.

Where does it say the Ultramarines used to be called the Warrior Kings?

TFH. I won't ruin the plot for you but they announce themselves to some Imperial citizens as 'The Warrior Kings of Ultramar.'

Baron Spikey
10-02-2011, 21:04
TFH. I won't ruin the plot for you but they announce themselves to some Imperial citizens as 'The Warrior Kings of Ultramar.'
Cheers Londinium.

I've read TFH, and so what if they call themselves the Warrior Kings of Ultramar? That's no different from the Space Wolves calling themselves The Rout, it certainly doesn't indicate it was their name prior to be the Ultramarines- quite the reverse in fact.

AlphariusOmegon20
11-02-2011, 04:36
I never remembered if the majority of the Legions had they're original names released ever, in any of the story arc's i've read over the years.

The Alpha Legion were only created 2 decades before Alpharius was discovered when he was attacking a Luna Wolves cruiser so if they ever had a name or designated number or some fancy acronim i don't know, though i believe K.G.B suits them well :D

LOL any pre-heresy info on Alpha Legion has to be suspect, due to the nature of the Legion.

But then, most of their post-heresy info is suspect also.

Eulenspiegel
11-02-2011, 08:58

This is a nickname, or a title.
Since they didnīt even know which world Guilliman landed on, "Warrior Kings of Ultramar" could hardly be that Legionīs original name, can it? ;)

"The First", "The Rout" and such are self-given nicknames, too.

LexxBomb
11-02-2011, 12:26
not for the Dark Angels... they were "Legion I"

Poseidal
11-02-2011, 12:41
I think it would have been probably better if they were just called "Legion #1 - #20" and were given names after meeting the Primarchs.

Actually, come to think of it I do seem to recall something like this back in 2nd edition, but it might have just been the Dark Angels fluff I was reading then.

Sigis
11-02-2011, 17:27
I suppose that is possible but the dusk raiders earned their nick name on Terra IIRC.

DvlDog
11-02-2011, 19:27
According to Flight of the Eisenstein the Death Guard did earn the name of Dusk Raiders on Terra. Garro thinks back to the good ole days of unification when they would attack the enemy at dusk thus earning the name. We have seen Pre-heresy forces before, has anybody painted up a Dusk Raider force?

sonofhades
11-02-2011, 20:40
LOL any pre-heresy info on Alpha Legion has to be suspect, due to the nature of the Legion.

But then, most of their post-heresy info is suspect also.

:D Omegon's agents must be working overtime.

It's all conjecture though, right? I mean the fluff is subject to change is it not, was the HH novels the first time the Dusk Raider name was thrown out there? And i have never heard the heralds name used for the Word Bearers before.

When it discusses the super human warriors that subjugate the clan's of Terra in the last church I automatically assumed they were the progenitors of just the First Legion (DA). Though now i see perhaps i was wrong, if members of the Death Guard (and they're XIVth legion? :confused: i think) stated they fought under the Emperor at the outset to unify Terra then the original Legion is perhaps the source of genetic materials for all the later Crusade Legions, so perhaps they do all have names and I suspect we'll see them be released as more novels are released.

I believe the XXth were a cloned army created in 41st millenium by Tzeentch with the sole purpose to annoy Ultra's and the Word Bearers :p though possibly not :shifty:

Wyrmwood
11-02-2011, 22:36
I prefer to think of the Legions being 'named' by number, and then having associated nicknames. For example, Legio XIV 'Dusk Raiders' and later, once reunited with their Primarch, the name Death Guard was chosen to officially 'replace' the Legion number/nickname. Whereas some monikers were just adopted; I.e, Luna Wolves (from Legio XVI 'Luna Wolves, to officially being named as such).

Shipmonkey
12-02-2011, 06:40
"The First", "The Rout" and such are self-given nicknames, too.

No, according to The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, the orignal name for the Dark Angels was "The First." That name is listed in the exact same manner as Dusk Raiders, for the Death Guard, and Luna Wolves, for the Sons of Horus. It was not, as suggested earlier in this thread, The First Legion.

Eulenspiegel
12-02-2011, 08:09
Curses!

Okay, I stand corrected.