PDA

View Full Version : Just looked over the new Orc and Gobbo book...

isanti13
10-02-2011, 00:37
Just left my local game store and had a good read over the orc and gobbo book. Here are some of the things in it in no particular order.

- Animosity works like it used to, if you roll a 1 for the unit, roll again. On a 1, they do some damage to nearby units, on a 6 they move forward (not march)

- All orc weapons are "choppas" aka they all grant +1 str in the first round. So yes, a choppa spear is also +1 strength and a great weapon is +3 strength in the first round.

- Common goblins get half point upgrades and the skulky stalkers are only 10 points each

- Big un upgrade is only 2 points now

- Savage orcs get a big spear thing ( i forget the name) that gives the unit d3 impact hits which do d3 wounds on large targets

- Spider riders do not have to dismount to assault a building, although they still cannot occupy it.

- Goblin Wolf chariots can be bought in units of up to 3 models and are slightly cheaper than currently.

- Black orcs are pretty much the same but now have immune to psychology

- Boar Boyz, of both types, are cheaper.

- Regular trolls are now special choices while stone/river trolls are still in rare ( and they are cheaper than they used to be as well)

- Pump Wagons can now be upgraded to increase their strength and movement as well as other things

- Rock Lobbers are now rare choices

- Doom divers can now correct their scatter by d6 inches instead of d3.

- There is a new rare unit called the mangler squig which is basically like a fanatic but does 2d6 STR 6 hits on enemy units. However, once it hits an enemy unit it goes crazy and moves in a random direction.

- The new giant spider monster has 8 wounds and the crew cannot be killed. 4+ Armor save, stubborn ( 99% sure on that), poison attacks, and one of its attacks is poisoned and does d6 wounds. It can be upgraded to have a STR1 (3) stone thrower that gives any enemy unit it touches the always strike last special rule. Or if a goblin great shaman is mounted on it, it can have some sort of upgrade that gives all friendly casters +2 on their channel attempts and gives the goblin the loremaster ability.

- The Waaaagh Spell is gone.

- The foot of gork/warpath spell now is a template that scatters d6 inches.... (dear god, thats a lot of damage!)

- There is an orc spell that lets you pick up a unit and move them 3d6 inches or 5d6 inches. AKA the hand of gork comes and grabs them and moves them where you want in any facing.

- There is only about 8 magic items to chose from, and none of them were really that impressive.

logan054
10-02-2011, 00:42
Sounds interesting, cheers for the info, I can't say I am that surprised by the lack of magic items, i remember reading that was the general idea of having so many in the BRB, do you know if orc's and gobbo's get any of them cheaper?

isanti13
10-02-2011, 00:46
Sounds interesting, cheers for the info, I can't say I am that surprised by the lack of magic items, i remember reading that was the general idea of having so many in the BRB, do you know if orc's and gobbo's get any of them cheaper?

I don't believe so. The entire magic item section ( the whole two pages of it) I skimmed over pretty quick. Didn't see anything about the common items and all the new items they get were rather meh. The only one that was mildly amusing was some armor that increased the toughness of the wearer and gave impact hits.

I'm not totally surprised by the lack of magic items since most people only used a select few. I am surprised however by the somewhat lackluster items that they put in the book. I really don't see many people using any of them the majority of the time.

logan054
10-02-2011, 01:01
To be fair with the massive selection in the BRB what else do you really need? I don't think I use many of items in my WoC list as it is now, still this is going to give me a lot to think about when facing orcs. Big uns with spears could be very nasty :(

Odin
10-02-2011, 10:49
I expected a bit of a reduction in magic items, but only down to the levels of the Beastmen and Skaven books. It would be a shame if every army ended up using the same items.

Otherwise, sounds good. Quite tempted to make a small-ish savage orc/forest goblin army.

VenomBlood
10-02-2011, 11:02
So giant spider has 8 wounds, but can you tell us something more about T walue? Please:angel:

Pigboyneo
10-02-2011, 11:06
So giant spider has 8 wounds, but can you tell us something more about T walue? Please:angel:

from what it says in this post:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292684

It going to be T6

madden
10-02-2011, 11:07
Is an all gobbo force viable now (still getting aracnos).

Pigboyneo
10-02-2011, 11:13
Most prop, from the rumors a gobbo shammy can ride on top of the spider so 18inc cmd range. Both goblins stay the same price but common goblins shield and spear are half a point now, and Night goblins can choose to have spear shield, hand wep and shield or short bow for free. It will cost 45 points now for nets instead of 35 though. And Little Waaagh magic gets a really nice buffing. Top spell is like purple sun, another makes a unit get poisoned attacks if it already has poisoned attacks then it will poison on a 5+ instead of a 6+ and the sig spell gives a unit AP and if it is in the flank/rear it gets to reroll hits / wound rolls. Also when you pass a cast roll with little waagh you steal a dispell dice on a 5+ roll, which then will become a power die

sssk
10-02-2011, 11:14
Is an all gobbo force viable now (still getting aracnos).

An all gobbo force has always been viable, and it looks distinctly like it will continue that way.

I haven't used a single orc in my army to date, and after seeing those savage orcs, it looks like my lack of orcs will continue. I do use trolls and squigs from time to time, but with gobbo chariots being cheaper and in units (!!!), plus the uber spider, I think all goblin armies will be more viable than ever before.

Thruster
10-02-2011, 11:15
I assume Black Orc, Orc boyz, Night Goblin, and Common Goblin's stats and cost the same as before??

VenomBlood
10-02-2011, 11:15
Meh, T6 without regen is sucks! Nevermind, after latest skaven book I have an 'abomination syndrome':eek:

Jind_Singh
10-02-2011, 11:19
Oh really - just 8 magic items you say - that is really quite sad - the one thing I've always liked about Warhammer was the fact that each army book had it's own items/toys that set them apart from other races!

Now the problem is that the game looks like it's going the way of common items - but this is not a reality every as the newer books, lizardmen, skaven, beastmen, will retain theirs for years to come - while we're stuck with the norm. Maybe it's a way to push special characters into the game?

We had too many in the last book - 8 just seems TOO FAR the other way, very silly if you ask me!

There are only so many items worth taking from the BRB - you'll end up seeing clones of characters with hardly any guess work as to what items/combos they have - were is the fun in that?

GrimmHammer
10-02-2011, 12:05
I'm pretty disappointed in the new book - If it took GW this long to copy and paste old artwork and images and come up with a way to make the uniqueness of the orcs and goblins disappear, by taking away all of their characterful magic items(no mushrooms - nothing!) call me impressed... ah forget it - disgusting - (however if they are looking to stream line this game they are def on the right path.)
But like a previous post stated, all the books have to be updated for this new magic item direction to work if not then it's just a low blow to the orcs and gobos.

On a brighter note - Cool giant spider(really this things great!), giants are 5pts cheaper and there are a dozen or so special characters (welcome to fantasy warmachine!) *i actually pretty much hate the special characters, If i wanted that I'd stick to only warmachine.

Some of the new magic items in the book -Spider banner now 35pts more then it use to be.(night goblins cannot take it.) * but for some reason all night goblin shamons know the spider lord spell? I guess spiders don't live in caves or underground or any dark places at that.

Night goblins cannot take the new sneaky assassin goblins in their units-
Night goblins no longer pay for spears but now pay more for full command
and 10 pts more for nets. -
Night goblin great shamans are more expensive- 55pts more not counting the upgrade to level 4...

All the new magic items are above 50pts.

sorry for the rant I get up at 4:30am

logan054
10-02-2011, 12:47
Oh really - just 8 magic items you say - that is really quite sad - the one thing I've always liked about Warhammer was the fact that each army book had it's own items/toys that set them apart from other races!

To be fair you had a lot of books with the same item just with a different name, ist pretty cool the seem to be making the items more balances, judging by the Orc's and Goblins book we wont see more items like Book of Hoeth in the future. I can't talk for Orc's but with my WoC army I hardly use items out of my book anyways, I mainly use the common items in my lists these days (maybe the odd banner or gift).

I am just glad they don't have the stupid +2 dispel dice banner anymore!

logan054
10-02-2011, 12:50

To be fair you had a lot of books with the same item just with a different name, ist pretty cool the seem to be making the items more balances, judging by the Orc's and Goblins book we wont see more items like Book of Hoeth in the future. I can't talk for Orc's but with my WoC army I hardly use items out of my book anyways, I mainly use the common items in my lists these days (maybe the odd banner or gift).

I am just glad they don't have the stupid +2 dispel dice banner anymore!

There are only so many items worth taking from the BRB - you'll end up seeing clones of characters with hardly any guess work as to what items/combos they have - were is the fun in that?

While this is true I guess in theory it should make the armies easier to balance, if it does is another matter.

Vashta
10-02-2011, 12:59
- Savage orcs get a big spear thing ( i forget the name) that gives the unit d3 impact hits which do d3 wounds on large targets

A Big Stabba

Leogun_91
10-02-2011, 13:01
Some of the new magic items in the book -Spider banner now 35pts more then it use to be.(night goblins cannot take it.) * but for some reason all night goblin shamons know the spider lord spell? I guess spiders don't live in caves or underground or any dark places at that.Giant spiders don't and only forest goblins have learnt how to tame spiders. It makes sense that nightgoblins can't use spiders, just living in a cave isn't enough to make them nightgoblin territory or we would have nightgoblins riding dwarfs and cold ones as well.

Djekar
10-02-2011, 13:05
...nightgoblins riding dwarfs...

I just found my next modeling project.

Urgat
10-02-2011, 13:18
To be fair with the massive selection in the BRB what else do you really need?

My beloved staff of sneaky stealing, but I bet it's gone :cries:

Ronin[XiC]
10-02-2011, 13:24
yeah :( They probably converted the staff into the goblin lore attribute (steal a dispell dice).. still sad panda on this side of the interwebz :(

GrimmHammer
10-02-2011, 14:10
Giant spiders don't and only forest goblins have learnt how to tame spiders. It makes sense that nightgoblins can't use spiders, just living in a cave isn't enough to make them nightgoblin territory or we would have nightgoblins riding dwarfs and cold ones as well.

I'd think if a night goblin could tame a squig(or at least come as close as they have) then a spider would be a breeze.

I plan on mounting some night goblins on that giant spider!
If you can find a night goblin willing to ride 2 giant squigs then I'm sure there is a horde of night goblins ready to jump on the giant spider!

isanti13
10-02-2011, 14:21

The new little waaagh lore attribute sort of does the same thing. Whenever you cast a little waaagh spell, roll a dice. on the roll of a 5+ you steal one of your opponents dispel dice and add it to your power dice.

Damocles8
10-02-2011, 14:24
I wonder if they moved the mushrooms to a unit specific item instead of clogging the magic sections with items only available to certain models. Is in Hardback?

isanti13
10-02-2011, 14:43
I wonder if they moved the mushrooms to a unit specific item instead of clogging the magic sections with items only available to certain models. Is in Hardback?

Magic mushrooms are in there, I don't remember if they were a magic item or something under the night goblin shaman entry, I do remember seeing them though.

And yes, it is in hardback.

Urgat
10-02-2011, 14:43
The new little waaagh lore attribute sort of does the same thing. Whenever you cast a little waaagh spell, roll a dice. on the roll of a 5+ you steal one of your opponents dispel dice and add it to your power dice.

It's the exact opposite (well, less efficient), it boosts the magic offense instead of the magic defense. That's not the same at all.

isanti13
10-02-2011, 14:51
It's the exact opposite (well, less efficient), it boosts the magic offense instead of the magic defense. That's not the same at all.

It steals magic dice, which is sort of the same thing.

Urgat
10-02-2011, 14:56
It gives a power dice instead of a dispell dice, it works the same, but the result is opposite. I like the staff of sneaky stealing because it boosts my defense. The lore attribute doesn't do that at all, right?

Shimmergloom
10-02-2011, 15:03
How long till 9th edition?

Wargamejunkie
10-02-2011, 15:38
I can see myself picking up a couple of new sets and I don't even play Orcs and Gobbos in fantasy....yet.

isanti13
10-02-2011, 15:41
It gives a power dice instead of a dispell dice, it works the same, but the result is opposite. I like the staff of sneaky stealing because it boosts my defense. The lore attribute doesn't do that at all, right?

Correct. Magic defense is down, but the offensive ability is 10x greater than it used to be. A worthwhile trade IMO.

wizbix
10-02-2011, 15:46
I'd think if a night goblin could tame a squig(or at least come as close as they have) then a spider would be a breeze.

I plan on mounting some night goblins on that giant spider!
If you can find a night goblin willing to ride 2 giant squigs then I'm sure there is a horde of night goblins ready to jump on the giant spider!

Isnt it more to do with themes? Night Goblins get there cool monster/animal type in the squig so why do they need spiders too? Besides thats one giant cave for that giant spider. imagine the problems as it attemps to navigate all the tiny nooks and cranies a cave system has to offer.

ROCKY
10-02-2011, 16:10

HAHAHAHA! someone is in a hurry ;) sorry bro your going to need to wait about 5-8 years ^_^

rob_appo
10-02-2011, 16:54
Armies are gonna become even more expensive havin to buy 4 boxes at 18 to get a viable unit and then every army is gonna have giant monster that are gonna cost 30+ a throw........ If the models werent awsome id be a very very sad panda.

Ultimate Life Form
10-02-2011, 16:58
Armies are gonna become even more expensive havin to buy 4 boxes at 18 to get a viable unit and then every army is gonna have giant monster that are gonna cost 30+ a throw........ If the models werent awsome id be a very very sad panda.

Yes... the models are great, but basically you can say GW is in the process of pricing yet another army out of my interest range. :rolleyes:

I'm really glad I don't have a thing for Savages anyway. I'm just gonna grab a bunch of Orc Boys while they're still cheap in case I want to start the army at one point.

By the way, no one complaining about ItP Black Orcs yet? I thought this would be the major offender here...

CaliforniaGamer
10-02-2011, 17:01
By the way, no one complaining about ItP Black Orcs yet? I thought this would be the major offender here...

Yeah not many std. OnG players are realizing that 8th ed with rerolling 9s from a BSB+Warboss makes fear and terror near worthless (the only reason to be ITP) but being ITP prevents you from ever tatically fleeing...bad bad.

HereBeDragons
10-02-2011, 17:07
Oooo this is so good :D I am quite liking the sound of this release (well apart from the magic items maybe)! Dont suppose goblins are getting knocked back down to 2 points per model? :angel: lol I wish!

Chain
10-02-2011, 17:12

even more so than the money department the transportation of armies in larger or even average battles is getting more troublesome than it already is...

Just 8 magic items? sounds pretty boring

was it the same amount of special characters?(i tend to find add stuff good but reductions is rarely a good thing)

HereBeDragons
10-02-2011, 17:17
There's more isnt there? Wurzhag's back for one (or did he just not have a model in the previous edition? Been a while since I've read through)

Deus Mechanicus
10-02-2011, 17:30
Any way of making Black Orcs core unit? Specialcharacter or lord/hero choice?

CaliforniaGamer
10-02-2011, 17:43
Any way of making Black Orcs core unit? Specialcharacter or lord/hero choice?

Negative Ghostrider. That is a negative.

Jind_Singh
10-02-2011, 17:46

Oh believe me - I've been using Black Orcs by the fist full (I have 60!) and ITP isn't something I like on units as you lose out on their ability to flee - BUT from a fluff perspective it just makes sense to seeing ITP Black Orcs - they just have to much disdain for the weaker races, they see themselves as the true Greenskins and as such they rightly should know no fear (or terror!).

Hearing about Chariot units for Gobbos - that does make me smile! I'm sure that is much more to this book than 1st glances at web posts will allow so I'll keep an open mind until I can get my hands on a copy - damn you GW! Why did you close down our store when I need it the most! Hurry up and open the new bunker already!

Avian
10-02-2011, 18:20
Correct. Magic defense is down, but the offensive ability is 10x greater than it used to be. A worthwhile trade IMO.
Given how powerful the Waaagh! spell is in 8th, that can't be even remotely true.

Andy p
10-02-2011, 18:29
Given how powerful the Waaagh! spell is in 8th, that can't be even remotely true.

Maybe he meant the Little Waaagh specifically?

The Underdog
10-02-2011, 18:37
Maybe he meant the Little Waaagh specifically?

No - the sixth spell from the Big Waaagh is currently a spell called Waaagh! - It's amazingly good for its low casting cost and will be dissapearing in the new OnG book. :cries:

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-02-2011, 18:42
Blackorcs itp does kinda suck but my horde of 40 wreck thingz and they like that thier a point cheaper.

I think he's just trying to say there more versatile overall and can do some terrible damage.

Some are freaking out they can't use there powerscroll+Waaagh crutch anymore. Like it was the end all be all of the army. :rolleyes:

Avian
No - the sixth spell from the Big Waaagh is currently a spell called Waaagh! - It's amazingly good for its low casting cost and will be dissapearing in the new OnG book. :cries:
I think Andy P meant that Isanti only meant that the Gobbo lore got 10x better.

It would be very difficult to argue that the Orc lore got any better at all, considering that Waaagh! easily won battles more or less on its own (I know, I have both done it and had it done to me).

Pigboyneo
Why would they keep a 7ed rule which was pretty good in 7ed, but became a broken OP spell in 8th ed? What way do people think?

Avian
10-02-2011, 18:46
Note: I'm not suggesting that removing Waaagh! wasn't the right thing to do, I'm just saying that doing so inarguably made Big Waaagh! worse in the new book than it was in the 7th book playing with the 8th edition magic system - regardless of the what else they might have done with the 8th edition Big Waaagh! lore.
;)

Jind_Singh
10-02-2011, 18:59
The Big Waaagh was not a bad lore in 7th, ok but not super amazing. Little Waaagh infact was by far a better lore to use.

Then along came 8th - all of a sudden you couldn't keep away from the Big Waaagh - all 5 spells thru 1-5 were great, the 6th spell (Waaaagh) was just maybe the best spell in all of 8th ed! Sure purple sun may kill a unit or 2, dwellers may also, etc.

Waaaagh spell just plain and simple won you battles - it was a brutal, savage spell that ensured your Greenskins waded through the blood of your foes to crush enemy army after enemy army!

Which is why I am glad to see it gone - it's too good, it makes for less entertaining games as there is almost nothing that can be done against it (in terms of tactics).

Can't wait to see the book now - too many questions, not enough time!

CaliforniaGamer
10-02-2011, 19:44
Wow, I have done a total 180 on the new book. The loss of Waagh spell is no way made up for by any of the new spells. Whoever was claiming the new spells are 10x increase in offensive power is clueless.

Bad Moon Curse is nowhere near the power of Purple Sun, Final Transmute or Dwellers (which allow no saves of any kind, remove from play). Foot of Gork is decent. Just decent.

The night goblin shaman with mushroom casting thing sounds like a trainwreck.

Ugly.

Shimmergloom
10-02-2011, 19:51
I just want GW to be consistent.

Why are goblins staying the same price, when they lowered the prices of all those army units which were better but in the goblin range during 7th?

Like Marauders, clanrats, empire state troops. And slaves stayed 2pts each.

They are not consistent.

And why were Gors and now Orcs raised in price, when both are near naked in armor, with orcs having animosity and low I to boot?

They just aren't consistent. It's like the rock lobba. I agree it should have been raised in price(but not moved to rare, I don't think), but will GW be consistent when other army books come out? Are mortars going to be rare? Are trebs going to be a price increase? Grudgethrowers?

And the worst is the 8 magic item mess. I have a feeling this will last for a army or 2, then armies will start coming out with dozens of magic items, because they realize too late, how dumb this is.

Greenskins are a looting army. They should have access to lots of looted magic items or items traded to them from Chaos Dwarfs or Ogres.

CaliforniaGamer
10-02-2011, 19:55
the fact that goblins are 3 pts and skaven slaves are only 2 is an egregious debacle IMO. Especially since Skaven players run the slaves so they are usually LD10 Steadfast...they literally have no weakness. By far the best unit in warhammer.

Gork or Possibly Mork
10-02-2011, 20:02
Wow, I have done a total 180 on the new book.

Really? I thought you were calling poo poo from the start:p

Tavendale
10-02-2011, 20:02
Are goblin shamans still limited to just the one lore?
I used to like running a few shamans, but there's not much point when they only have the wee-wah lore.

CaliforniaGamer
10-02-2011, 20:07
Really? I thought you were calling poo poo from the start:p

No the constipated poo poo began when I read that thread from Australia....that's when I spawned the concept of "Beastminifcation"

of course Im going to lose some bets from people who said months ago they would never write a stronger OnG book than the 7th ed one.

Shimmergloom
10-02-2011, 20:10
I think it looks stronger, but it's still not a horde like it should be.

I'd much rather have lots of orcs, then fewer orcs with +1S spears, especially since animosity only got slightly better(the jury is still out on this, because no one is saying how quell animosity works or if it even exists or if Waaagh! can still kill D6 of your models).

Lorex
10-02-2011, 20:21
So orc boys with shields cost 7pts??
And then all goblins / NG can have spears and sheild for no extra point cost.

Urgat
10-02-2011, 20:42
So orc boys with shields cost 7pts??
And then all goblins / NG can have spears and sheild for no extra point cost.

No. Why do people post random stuff when all the info is there and repeated like ten times over 3 different threads?

decker_cky
10-02-2011, 20:52
Are goblin shamans still limited to just the one lore?
I used to like running a few shamans, but there's not much point when they only have the wee-wah lore.

They have a pretty nifty lore attribute and a decent signature spell. If you want to load up on shamans, take the loremaster shaman on the big spider, then have a bunch of other shamans around the spider to channel on a 4+.

I wonder if that's a defensive channel too....if so, that's very powerful. L3 shaman with loremaster/channel boost on a spider, a bunch of other L1 or 2 shamans around the spider (night goblins obviously, so you have boosted casting levels with the mushrooms) and you can probably spam your entire lore every turn. Add to that 2-3 extra dispel dice and you're in pretty good shape with the magic phase.

Will make a big difference if the loremaster is an ability of the shaman (meaning he never rolls for spells and other shamans can duplicate the entire lore) or if it's an ability that's added only when on the spider, which means he blocks out at least 2 spells if he's a lord (swapping 1 for the signature spell).

Expensive, but that's double doin doo-dahs good.

edit: Another thought on the spiders - if you can mount Gobbo Warbosses and Big Bosses on them, then give both your BSB and your general 4+ wards and sit them on spiders. 18" leadership bubble and 18" BSB bubble.

Jind_Singh
10-02-2011, 21:29
I think after seeing all the posts THE ONLY THING I'm going to REALLY dislike is the severe cap on magic items - 8 is just laughable!

N810
10-02-2011, 21:39
I think it's because a lot of units have many normal weapon options instead.

Avian
10-02-2011, 22:18
Will make a big difference if the loremaster is an ability of the shaman (meaning he never rolls for spells and other shamans can duplicate the entire lore) or if it's an ability that's added only when on the spider, which means he blocks out at least 2 spells if he's a lord (swapping 1 for the signature spell).
Dude, you are not making any sense.

edit: Another thought on the spiders - if you can mount Gobbo Warbosses and Big Bosses on them, then give both your BSB and your general 4+ wards and sit them on spiders. 18" leadership bubble and 18" BSB bubble.
The only Spider that is a Large Target is the Arachnarok. You can't get a BSB on one and you can only get your general on one if he's a (Ld7) Goblin Great Shaman.

Justicar_Freezer
10-02-2011, 22:58
These are the first rumors I've heard of the book cause I've just not been paying attention to warhammer much these days. I have to say I saw the new models first and I was excited. Thought I might add some forest gobbos to my nigt goblin army. But hearing that they cut down on the magic item selection so much is really a kick in the pants to me. I always liked the big selection of items in each of the older books and if in the new edition since they put in such a big common magic item section all the new army books will only get a handful of magic items well were is the fun in that.

I'll wait till I see the book but it might just be another nail in the proverbial coffin for me. Oh well the giant spider is mighty cool and that new squig thing sounds pretty awesome as well.

Tower_Of_The_Stars
10-02-2011, 23:00
I just want GW to be consistent...

There's internal balance to consider as well as external balance.

Shnerg
11-02-2011, 00:00
Is there a Gigantic Spider option? I think it would work well having an Shamanarok surrounded by Shamans on Gigantic Spiders...

Morglum Necksnapper
11-02-2011, 00:18
I think people underestimate how powerful Immune to Psychology really is... The fact Savage orcs are ItP alone makes them so much better than regular orcs. Now Black Orcs are ItP too makes an O&G army much stonger. Wonderful that wyverns, trolls and boarboyz are cheaper pointwise, that what I was hoping for. Only downer for me is that regular goblins don't have some cool benefit. Except for the, eh zorro's, which I don't fancy (yet)...

Torpedo Vegas
11-02-2011, 01:08
i'm thinking of picking up some of those Savage Orcs to make Hobgoblins.

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 01:36
I think people underestimate how powerful Immune to Psychology really is... The fact Savage orcs are ItP alone makes them so much better than regular orcs. Now Black Orcs are ItP too makes an O&G army much stonger. Wonderful that wyverns, trolls and boarboyz are cheaper pointwise, that what I was hoping for. Only downer for me is that regular goblins don't have some cool benefit. Except for the, eh zorro's, which I don't fancy (yet)...

What's so good about ItP?
Rerollable MW9 is almost immun to psycho anyways. Blackorcs already ignore most sources of panic thanks to "size matters".
Yeah, it's nice but.. so what?
It comes with a big drawback. You cannot flee anymore! Fleeing IS a tactical move you sometimes just need to do.

Geep
11-02-2011, 02:08
With ItP you have no need to worry about fear or terror. Sure, with good BSB and general positioning it's a minor problem, but when you do fail a fear/ terror/ panic test on a unit as central to your army as a big Black Orc block it's likely to be game deciding.

I've read the book now, and found most of the changes either mild or even a bit negative, but I think the army will easily be decent on the field.
Most of my units won't be changing in points much (Orcs are more expensive but additional hand weapons are cheaper, night goblins are cheaper but nets are more expensive, command groups are almost all more expensive). I am looking forward to fielding large units of much cheaper trolls now.
Animosity changes are great. It's now very unlikely to stop those vital charges.
Magic I'm not too impressed with. It's alright, but most common spell lores seem better. The only exception is 'Curse of the Bad Moon', which makes Purple Sun seem friendly, although I'm not a fan of the super-spells in concept.
The 8 magic items it has- I doubt I'll be using many/ any. Fortunately I was steering away from using magic items anyway, so this won't change much for me. It is a disappointment to variety though- I'm expecting character builds will become a lot more generic and conversion opportunities will drop (I really liked the ironback boar).

Now let's just hope it's not another 7 months until the next army book...

TMATK
11-02-2011, 02:12
Magic I'm not too impressed with. It's alright, but most common spell lores seem better. The only exception is 'Curse of the Bad Moon', which makes Purple Sun seem friendly, although I'm not a fan of the super-spells in concept.

I thought this spell only caused 1 wound and allowed a ward save? Purple Sun deletes models with no save of any kind... much, much worse.

Trodger87
11-02-2011, 02:13
I play against VC a lot so ItP works well for me. You can't make the re-rollable LD test everytime and you will fail it just when you can't afford to (usually just after you've taken care of the crown wearing vamp ;P)
And they could panic from shooting or flaming and when they panic then run through some others it causes no end of drama.
So whilst still only rare situations it pretty nice to have and I don't usually flee with my BO, dunno just can't bring myself to do it :P

... ninja'd

Geep
11-02-2011, 02:39
I thought this spell only caused 1 wound and allowed a ward save? Purple Sun deletes models with no save of any kind... much, much worse.
True- I tend to only think about how common infantry will be affected (where number of wounds and presence of a ward save don't tend to matter). Still, being able to choose the characteristic test (with the highest level casting) makes it very dangerous IMO.

Leogun_91
11-02-2011, 03:05
;5305006']It comes with a big drawback. You cannot flee anymore! Fleeing IS a tactical move you sometimes just need to do.But blackorcs isn't the unit to do it with, greenskins have tons of expandable units and a leadership problem, getting ItP on the things that aren't expendable is great, I actually considered using Grimgor only to get ItP on blackorcs and general pre-8th ed.

In addition it's great when you need something out of the bubble.

TheYoungin
11-02-2011, 05:13
I'm pretty excited for march. (: Thanks for all the info.

Private_SeeD
11-02-2011, 05:41
I'm not a massive fan of OnG but I really like the 'Nasty Skulker' models and there fluff, so will pick up a blister as a painting project :)

grumbaki
11-02-2011, 07:35

Someone sneaky stole it.

Geep
11-02-2011, 08:14
It's now vaguely represented by the 'Sneaky Stealin'' goblin lore attribute (though helps with power dice now instead of dispel dice). Roll a D6 when a Little Waagh! spell is successfully cast- on a 5+, the enemy loses a dispel dice and you gain a power dice.

Avian
11-02-2011, 11:42
Which really isn't all that great since it MIGHT, if you are lucky, hamper enemy dispelling LATER in the phase, while the Staff CERTAINLY hampers enemy casting RIGHT AWAY.

But then the Staff is 50 pts and this attribute is free. ;)

drear
11-02-2011, 15:41
looking over all the rumour posts, and the vague pictures of the book pages, i can see this army being very fun to play, and opening up alot of new possibilities for players.

to me waagh felt very broken, there shouldnt be that 1 spell that wins the game every time, and waagh was that spell for ong players.
the anamosity changes are nice too, i did miss the older table. and rolling a 1 is possibly harder to do than rolling on the previous table.

the models are beautiful, i can see myself dusting off the 40 or so N goblins i own and buying another 100 or so, along with a butt load of spider riders and atleast 3 of the aracnorok spiders, goblins essentially got a stegadon, with poison attacks. and t6 with 8 wounds isnt somthing to sniff at, espcially if you give the shaman riding it regen or a nice wardsave.

i see the item reduction as a form of streamlining, in previous books, how many things were never taken? ive only played elves and ogres in 8th but for the most part their magical items section could have been reduced to 5-6 key items that were worth taking and nothing else.
and most duplicated the brb items exactly anway.

the lore attribute looks very fun too, either defend or attack? id rather kill the enemy caster or unit than prepare for their turns attack, offence is the best defence and all that.
how many times is killing the oponents wizard/unit better than waiting for their charge or offensive spell to hit?

Urgat
11-02-2011, 15:45
i'm thinking of picking up some of those Savage Orcs to make Hobgoblins.

Now that's an odd idea, I can't think of any greenskin looking less like an hobgoblin than a savage orc...

wizbix
11-02-2011, 16:08
Now that's an odd idea, I can't think of any greenskin looking less like an hobgoblin than a savage orc...

Couldnt agree more.

theorox
11-02-2011, 16:08

You sure do your screemname justice. :D

Theo

Mr_Foulscumm
11-02-2011, 16:19
I really just have one question.

What did they do with the Squig Hoppers?

kris.sherriff
11-02-2011, 16:21
What did they do with the Squig Hoppers?

+1

Oh and Squig Herds...
Kris

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 16:26
Squig herds are exactly the same but you can can buy single NG or Squigs (has to be at least one herder for 3 squigs)
Hoppers: 12 points. on a tripple six when move they get a single impact hit. (so absolutely useless).
Giant Squig can now join a unit of squigs. The unit can then reroll the distance they jump.

kris.sherriff
11-02-2011, 16:37
I like the bit about Giant Squigs as I have been running one for years so it will be nice for him to actually be able to boss his mates around.

Kris

theorox
11-02-2011, 16:39
I like the bit about Giant Squigs as I have been running one for years so it will be nice for him to actually be able to boss his mates around.

Kris

Yeah, i love it too! :D

Theo

Torpedo Vegas
11-02-2011, 17:02

If you look at the Chaos Dwarf fluff, hob goblins are tall and lanky. Those Savage Orcs look tall and lanky, though a bit too muscular, and the heads will need to be replaced.

Dark Aly
11-02-2011, 17:04
tall for a goblin- not an orc and they are WAY to muscular for hob gobbos

Torpedo Vegas
11-02-2011, 17:05
tall for a goblin- not an orc and they are WAY to muscular for hob gobbos
Meh. I'll just sculpt on some robes or something.
Okay, I admit it, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy some of those Savage Orcs.:D

Geep
11-02-2011, 17:15
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet I'll point out an interesting change to Night Goblin Fanatics (and the fanatic squig)-
Fanatics now die whenever an enemy unit moves into them. The enemy unit can be of any size, does not need ranks and does not need to stop (well, sort of- it pauses to work out damage). The unit contacts the fanatic and takes the D6 hits as normal (2D6 for fanatic squig). The unit then takes another D6 hits from the fanatic's death throes (also only 1D6 for squig). The unit can then continue with its move as normal (I can't remember anything about panic tests, but i assume they're taken at the point of contact).

Goldenwolf
11-02-2011, 17:18
Folks,

Haven't seen it yet but have a few questions:

(01). With banners, can a regular orc or gobbo unit take a magic banner besides the bsb?
(02). What spell replaced "Waaaagh"?
(03). Did the Animosity rules go back to my Arrer Boyz may decide to shoot my own troops? and does a BO keep that from happening still?

Thank You

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 17:20
1) only big unz can take magical banners (besides Bo and the cav)
2) none :(
3) nope, they have to move. and yeah BO still beat up your unit.

Souppilgrim
11-02-2011, 17:23
So how much cheaper are boar boyz now? They were very overpriced before, and as an empire player I would like to get a window into whether mounted units in general might go down a bit in cost in the future

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 17:26
common are 16+2spear+2shield.
savage are 18+2 2nd handweapon.

afaik

CaliforniaGamer
11-02-2011, 17:50
Can anyone carefully read the Savage orc entry and confirm/deny Big Un Savage Orcs Can/cannot take a magical banner as Orc Boy Big Unz Can?

Thanks

Urgat
11-02-2011, 17:59
If you look at the Chaos Dwarf fluff, hob goblins are tall and lanky. Those Savage Orcs look tall and lanky, though a bit too muscular, and the heads will need to be replaced.

I've looked at the Chaos dwarf fluff, I have actual hobgoblin minis, and I've converted some too. Hobgobs are taller than goblins, that doesn't make them taller than men like those orcs seem to be. And those SO are not lanky, they're muscular and massive :eyebrows:
But whatever floats your boat hey, I was just stating an opinion, don't mind me :p

Andy p
11-02-2011, 18:00

You missunderstand me. He quoted a person saying this: "Correct. Magic defense is down, but the offensive ability is 10x greater than it used to be. A worthwhile trade IMO."

He then replied with: "Given how powerful the Waaagh! spell is in 8th, that can't be even remotely true."

And I replied suggesting that perhaps, given the content of the post he quoted, that the person he quoted meant just the Little Waaagh not the Big Waagh, especially now that it's new lore attribute boosts your power dice in a reversal of what the sneaky staff of stealing used to do.

Urgat
11-02-2011, 18:04
Can anyone carefully read the Savage orc entry and confirm/deny Big Un Savage Orcs Can/cannot take a magical banner as Orc Boy Big Unz Can?

Thanks

Already checked and confirmed.

herohammer
11-02-2011, 18:13
I am personally well on my way (via Ebay) to accumulating my Nipponese Hobgoblin WAAAAAAGGGHHH. Damn those old Japanese style hobgoblins really had an incredible model range.

I'll use the common gobbo rules. I am going to be using the 80s Hobgoblins mainly as character models and unit champs. I also have got some old Fiend Factory red orcs I am going to use as a sort of contingent of Estalian goblin missionaries of Gork (no one knows how a goblin managed to sail around the Southlands and Ind...). I am going to be converting one of the female hobgoblin models into a Princess Mononoke inspired character to lead my wolf riders (think I will sculpt the little round mask from the scene where she attacks Iron Town since the mini's head looks pretty fuggly). I think I will trim the feathers off of some spider riders and convert them into kumo riding fighting monks of Mork (or possibly Gork). I will be doing some light conversion to current and 4th edition goblin plastics for my infantry. I have a couple of rocket launchers to use as lobbas or chuckas. I might get a pretty cool samurai on a giant temple dog that I plan on using as a suicide bomber lone lord. I'l be converting ogre bulls into oni to use as trolls.

If I had more money I'd buy some river trolls and give them shells and beaks so they could be kappa and stick some chaos furies in trees painted up like tengu to to use as doom divers.

Sorry that post really had nothing to do with new info or rumors, just someone mentioned hobgoblin counts as...

CaliforniaGamer
11-02-2011, 18:13
Already checked and confirmed.

Noooooooooooooo.

This is racism pure and simple. Savage Orcs are Orcs too...Magic banner equality NOW!

The Underdog
11-02-2011, 18:20
You missunderstand me.

Fair enough - I think the quotes can be seen either way but apologies for any misundersatnding.

Destruction2
11-02-2011, 20:06
i got a look of the book at my local store today and i think it is probably the worst new fantasy book i have seen.
only 8 magic items and most of them are poor
not that much new changes in rules apart from choppas
new characters are unimpressive
new units (manglers etc) are not brill but good for a laugh
most special chars are unchanged or worse than before
black orcs not great for points, 13 pts with a shield, stats not great
boyz overpriced

only really cool thing is the new choppas rule but imo the new book is very poor

drear
11-02-2011, 20:12
am i to take it that in an all goblin army there would be acceess to 1 magical banner only through a goblin bsb? or no access at all?

also any idea if snarsnik and gobbla are in the new book and if so have they changed?

Destruction2
11-02-2011, 20:17
skarsnik is in the new book and if i remember correctly( i just looked at his rules quickly) that he is almost exactly the same as before. Spider banner is really expensive and only available to gobbos now. only 1 banner under 50pts and cant remember what it does.

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 20:18
Skarsnik is now Infantery but got a bit more expensive.

Shamutanti
11-02-2011, 20:23
Personally I think the new book is the sign of great things to come.

Really enjoyed reading through it, thought the magic items were both clever and fluffy, being useful and decidedly Orcish/Goblinish. I did question the number 8 to myself but actually with me using a bucket load of common magic items from the rule book anyway it made me realise how much I DIDN'T need 50+ extra magic items. Plus all the magic items I DID use (mushrooms) are now a 'standard' of night goblin shamans.

There's a bucket load more variety in this book now. Forest goblin armies, Troll armies, etc. are more reasonable/possible. Hurrah for that!

Destruction2
11-02-2011, 20:40
so there will now be much less variety as more and more people will be forced to use the common magic items as new books come out like this, and u think thats a good thing????

TMATK
11-02-2011, 20:41
so there will now be much less variety as more and more people will be forced to use the common magic items as new books come out like this, and u think thats a good thing????

It's a good thing if you want the army books to be balanced. We can't have it both ways.

Ronin[XiC]
11-02-2011, 20:42
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=15300003a

Some more infos about the spider

It's interesting that no one mentioned the Swiftstrider rule. I think that it is a very nice addition to the monster.

Jind_Singh
11-02-2011, 20:52
I think it's cool that they kept it strength 5 - 6 would have made this bad spider just too mighty! Well played rules writers!

Torpedo Vegas
11-02-2011, 20:57
I've looked at the Chaos dwarf fluff, I have actual hobgoblin minis, and I've converted some too. Hobgobs are taller than goblins, that doesn't make them taller than men like those orcs seem to be. And those SO are not lanky, they're muscular and massive :eyebrows:
But whatever floats your boat hey, I was just stating an opinion, don't mind me :p

You're probably right. I'm just trying to justify buying them to myself:D

And now I want that giant spider too.
My poor, poor wallet.

Spiney Norman
11-02-2011, 21:20

Yep, we've gone from having probably the strongest magic defense in the game to one of the weakest. Conversely we do now have an obscenely powerful casting phase (probably more characterful), what with the spidershrine/staff of channeling combo allowing a shaman to channel on a 3+ and the new mushrooms rule for NG shamen AND the DD stealing properties of the goblin lore I forsee much green magical destruction.

One question I have, please don't post points values as that would break site rules, but can anyone tell me if I can take a Goblin Greatshaman with channeling staff on Arachnarok with spidershrine in a 2K battle (basically is that set-up sub 500pts?)

Souppilgrim
11-02-2011, 22:11
Yep, we've gone from having probably the strongest magic defense in the game to one of the weakest. Conversely we do now have an obscenely powerful casting phase (probably more characterful), what with the spidershrine/staff of channeling combo allowing a shaman to channel on a 3+ and the new mushrooms rule for NG shamen AND the DD stealing properties of the goblin lore I forsee much green magical destruction.

One question I have, please don't post points values as that would break site rules, but can anyone tell me if I can take a Goblin Greatshaman with channeling staff on Arachnarok with spidershrine in a 2K battle (basically is that set-up sub 500pts?)

I feel for orc players that are going to miss the defense, but I never thought that O&G should have been one of the most powerful magic defense armies in the game from a fluff perspective anyway.

Tadite
11-02-2011, 22:16

No. Think it's 600pts+

TheMav80
12-02-2011, 00:24
Wait, there are only 8 magic items on two pages? That doesn't sound right at all. If there are indeed two pages of magic items there would have to be more than 8.

Geep
12-02-2011, 05:09
No, just 8 items presented in a very pretty manner with lots of description.

The 8 items is disappointing, but I see it as another way to put the focus back on the core units rather than characters. I'm sure people will get used to it fairly quickly.

scruffyryan
12-02-2011, 05:17
I feel for orc players that are going to miss the defense, but I never thought that O&G should have been one of the most powerful magic defense armies in the game from a fluff perspective anyway.

Don't orc mages get a spell that pummels people's wizards pretty hard? something like d6 str 4's to a wizard within 4d6 6d6 boosted?

That just seems like a different form of magic defense but still pretty powerful.

zid
12-02-2011, 05:59
... Forest goblin armies, Troll armies, etc. are more reasonable/possible. Hurrah for that!

What has happened to Trolls to make a possible Troll army?

Multra
12-02-2011, 06:24
I love the new book. People are cry babies.

Urgat
12-02-2011, 08:26
What has happened to Trolls to make a possible Troll army?

You can't make a pure troll army, but you can fill both your special and rare choices with them (well, special if you make three really large common troll units, under 3000pts), since common trolls are now special, and stone and river trolls are each a different rare unit.

fruitystu
12-02-2011, 08:42
Regarding the Magic Items, they are all pretty filthy really. Shurnken Head is an essential for me, as I play a Savage Orc Army, and a 5+ Ward is just too good to pass up. I reckon we might see a book with additional magic items in it, or perhaps should we get expansions, ala 40k, we'll see more magic items specific to say, obliterating walls etc.

Overall, highly impressed with the new book.

castlesmadeofsand
12-02-2011, 09:01
Yes... the models are great, but basically you can say GW is in the process of pricing yet another army out of my interest range. :rolleyes:

I'm really glad I don't have a thing for Savages anyway. I'm just gonna grab a bunch of Orc Boys while they're still cheap in case I want to start the army at one point.

but the orcs aren't cheap, they're also 18 for 10 now... http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod900162a

don't understand why no one has picked up on this (at least from the several 100 posts i've read, maybe they have in the other 1000 or so ;) )

nagash42
12-02-2011, 09:12
they better bust down the savage orcs to at least 24 bucks like just about every other 10 man box out there.

fruitystu
12-02-2011, 09:29
Still cheaper than the old metal ones. I should know. I have an army comprised of nothing but. Cheaper is cheaper to me.

Urgat
12-02-2011, 09:35
Can someone confirm that the choppa rule also applies to boar boyz with spears (therefore they gain +2S when charging)?

BeatTheBeat
12-02-2011, 09:35
Still cheaper than the old metal ones. I should know. I have an army comprised of nothing but. Cheaper is cheaper to me.

What this guy said.

Cheers,
BTB

fruitystu
12-02-2011, 09:36
Can someone confirm that the choppa rule also applies to boar boyz with spears (therefore they gain +2S when charging)?

It counts for EVERYFING! WAAAAGH!

Ahem...yes. Choppa Rule, regardless of weapon, gives a base +1S in the first round of combat, even when charged.

Tae
12-02-2011, 09:37

Yes you can. Goblin Greatshaman (Level 3) on an Arachnarok with the Spidershrine comes to 475 points.

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 10:56
"Troll" Army

Lord:
Stuff
Heroes:
Stuff (BSB!)
Core:
Some (lets say ~3-4) big blocks of goblins/night goblins

Special

18 Trolls for 630
18 Trolls for 630

Rare
6 River Trolls for 260
6 Stone Trolls for 260

Bam :D

Would probably only work for 2500++++++

Lorcryst
12-02-2011, 13:48
Your calculations seem a bit wrong on the River/Stone trolls, IF the rumour is right and they are the same price as Chaos Trolls, that makes 270 points for an unit of 6 ...

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 13:53
uh yeah... 6*45
Can't count :D Me orc, can't count. Only smash!

Shimmergloom
12-02-2011, 17:09

Black orc plastics are already up to $33 for 10. They were $45 for 10 metals when the plastics came out.

At this rate in a year or 2, the plastics will cost as much as metals ever did.

You are right, cheaper is cheaper. Plastic itself though is far cheaper than metal in reality. So they are happily price gouging you with $29-30 plastic sets and telling you, what a deal!

Lumps of plastic are not worth $3 per model or more. Especially not when Mantic is on the verge of releasing orcs in boxes of 30 for what looks to be about $40 US.

$30 for 10 GW orcs from 1997. Or $40 for 30 Mantic orcs. Even if those orcs don't look as great as new GW models, you get far more value for your money.

TMATK
12-02-2011, 18:04
Black orc plastics are already up to $33 for 10. They were $45 for 10 metals when the plastics came out.

At this rate in a year or 2, the plastics will cost as much as metals ever did.

You are right, cheaper is cheaper. Plastic itself though is far cheaper than metal in reality. So they are happily price gouging you with $29-30 plastic sets and telling you, what a deal!

Lumps of plastic are not worth $3 per model or more. Especially not when Mantic is on the verge of releasing orcs in boxes of 30 for what looks to be about $40 US.

$30 for 10 GW orcs from 1997. Or $40 for 30 Mantic orcs. Even if those orcs don't look as great as new GW models, you get far more value for your money.

It's pointless to break down the cost as if it was just raw materials. The Mona Lisa is just canvas and some linseed oil after all.

They cost what they cost because that's what they think can get for them, ie market price. You don't have to buy them, go ahead and buy from Mantic. If enough people do the same, then GW will probably lower the prices.

decker_cky
12-02-2011, 18:06
GW has really inconsistent pricing. For every well priced clanrat, stormvermin or arachnorok they release, there's at least as many goldsword, bestigolds, gors and ungors.

Avian
12-02-2011, 18:54
Bring on Avatars of War plastic Orcs, I say! :)

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 19:03
Uh yeah.. that would be awesome! I need some as my new Big'unz ^^

Major_Blackhart
12-02-2011, 20:12
So for giggles, has anyone thought about taking a Black Orc Warboss and giving him the hat of wizarding stupidity, along with that nifty arcane item you'll see Shamans taking alot of? I doubt it's allowed, but that combination would make him pretty nasty in close combat, especially along with the Choppa Rules and if you give him a magic weapon that further augments his abilities. Could make for a very nasty character.

TMATK
12-02-2011, 20:21
So for giggles, has anyone thought about taking a Black Orc Warboss and giving him the hat of wizarding stupidity, along with that nifty arcane item you'll see Shamans taking alot of? I doubt it's allowed, but that combination would make him pretty nasty in close combat, especially along with the Choppa Rules and if you give him a magic weapon that further augments his abilities. Could make for a very nasty character.

If you take the wizarding hat, you won't have any points left for anything else.

Jind_Singh
12-02-2011, 20:22
I think that hat is close to 100pts - so mundane upgrades only I'm thinking

Urgat
12-02-2011, 20:53
Bring on Avatars of War plastic Orcs, I say! :)

Depends their price :p

Ronin[XiC]
12-02-2011, 21:07
The plastic slayers are pretty "cheap". I doubt that Orcs would be that much more expensive

"As I already commented the plastic sets will be available in two formats:
Regiment boxed set (20 to 24 minis, depending on the troop type) at 25EUR
Horde boxed set (32 to 36 minis, depending on the troop type) at 35EUR"

Torpedo Vegas
12-02-2011, 21:48
The Mantic orcs may be another option too.

Major_Blackhart
13-02-2011, 01:19
Oh wait, that's right, 100 points for the damn hat!
I keep forgetting about enchanted items now.
Would've been nice though.
Too bad special characters, such as the Black Orc Warboss Azhag, can't choose arcane items, as he is a wizard. He'd be a bit nastier if that were the case.

nyahuma
13-02-2011, 04:06
Just looked at the book and was a little let down. I was hoping for a little more of a bump. I was pleased to see that my favorite special character, Gorbad, got a little better. He still gets his 18" leadership bubble, and all units in 18" can re-reroll animosity AND he no longer loses his leadership bubble when he is wounded. I think his cost also went down, but I don't remember for sure. So I know who my general is going to be :)

fubukii
13-02-2011, 05:48
i thought the book was pretty solid overal, strong but not Over the top. If 8th edition does this for all books this will be amazing.

the boar boys being cheaper is awesome as you can now get cheaper mega hammer units.

Choppah rule is cool, and so are the new units.