PDA

View Full Version : New to Skaven 2250 List

elfordminis
10-02-2011, 16:21
I'm getting back into gaming since 6th Edition and have decided to bring out my old favourites, Skaven. I've read alot on the forums about whats good and bad and have come up with this army list. I would appreciate C&C for it. I plan on taking it to tournaments as well as casual gaming.

Lords - 16.4%
Grey Seer, D3 Warpstone Tokens, Level 4 Wizard. Spells of Ruin & Plague. Foul Pendant, Ironcurse Icon . 270]
Need a Level 4 for offensive and defensive duties. Hope to get Dreaded 13th off. Got a 4+ Ward Save to help keep him alive.
Warlord, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Halberd. 93
In the army to confer his Leadership to nearby units. Halberd to +1 Strength.

Heroes - 9.2%
Chieftain, BSB, Heavy Armour, Shield. 72
There to give the models a re-roll on their Generals Leadership. Joins the Generals unit.
Chieftain, Heavy Armour, Sword of Swift Slaying, Potion of Strength. 90
Joins the same unit as the Grey Seer. If a challenge comes up he can take the place of the Grey Seer, or hopefully cause some damage to rank and file.
Warlock Engineer, Doomrocket. 45
Deployed near my Slaves. Doomrocket has alot of potential for small amounts of points.

Core - 37.3%
30 Stormvermin, Halberds, Heavy Armour, Shields. Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame, Poisoned Wind Mortar. 332
Deployed 5 wide 6 deep to try and keep steadfast. Given the Banner of Eternal Flame to go after Regen models and the halberds give that bit extra to Strength. Poisoned Wind Mortar hangs behind and uses units LOS.
43 Clanrats, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Shields. Full Command. Warpfire Thrower. 283.5
Grey Seer and Chieftain with magice weapons join this unit. Deployed 5 wide and 9 deep. This is the Centre of the army. Warpfire Thrower for the template Strength 5 hits.
20 Clanrats, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Shields. Full Command. 110
Warlord and BSB join this unit. They go behind the Large Clanrat unit. Giving out a re-rollable LD bonus to those in distance.
45 Slaves, Shields. Musician. 114.5
These guys are on the other side of the Clanrat unit. Should hold in combat with the Warlord and BSB nearby.

Special - 16%
5 Gutter Runners, Slings, Poisoned Attacks. 90
To go after enemy warmachines and the like.
6 Rat Ogres, 2 Packmasters, Master-bred Rat Ogre. 271
A 'hammer' unit. Hitting with 22 Strength 5 frienzied attacks. Plus Stomp attacks after.

Rare - 21.1%
Hell Pit Abomination 235
Can cause great amounts of damage, Regen, Terror and could come back alive. Another MUST and a great 'hammer'. Will deploy behind, slightly to the left of the Stormvermin.
Doomwheel 150
Great model and rules. Can take on monsters and troops. To be deployed behing and slightly to the right of the Slaves.
Warp Lightning Cannon 90
Can cause quite a bit of damage. Cheap on points.

The Army contains 160 models and I can't help but think thats a bit too small for Skaven armies. The Rat Ogres look great on paper but are they worth all those points? Same with the Stormvermin. Lovely models, and they let me take the Banner of Eternal Flame for when those pesky Regen models pop up, but I could easily see a unit of 40 Clanrats doing the same job as them, and let the Rat Ogres hit into the flank.

Let me know what you think of the army.

Adam

Badbones777
10-02-2011, 16:50
I'd agree that you could maybe use a few more men to beef up the battle line. To do so, and as a 2 birds with one stone sorta thing, I'd suggest (though it's purely my opinion of course) that you drop the shields on the Storm Vermin and the Slaves.
My reasoning being that the points you save could buy you more Slaves (possibly even another small unit!) -which is better IMHO than a few slaves, some of which might save as long as the thing hitting them has no negative modifiers. Also, the Storm Vermin aren't going to be using their shields much (well hopefully not anyway!) -remember, once your in combat, you have to use the halberd, so the shields are only really useful if you expect your Storm Vermin to get shot at -and lets face it, why should they if you screen them with the unit of slaves that you can now afford by dropping the shields in the first place:p!

Thats not to say that if you have the points shields are never worthwhile, but I think in this instance the positives of having a few more models on the table might edge out the added bit of preotection from ranged fire that shields will give you. I would also consider maybe finding a way -even if it means dropping one of the big heavy hitting rare choices -to get an extra block or two of clanrats into the army.

As nice as HPA's and Doomwheels undoubtedly are, 9 times out of 10 it's your infantry blocks that win it for you even if it's only by standing there missing turn after turn and getting chopped up in combat, nevertheless crucially staying in the fight long enough for one of the aforementioned random nasty's to decide that yeah, the enemies flank is, afterall, the better thing to move into rather than the forest of infinite death that they've been intent on getting lost in for the past 5 turns!

Though of course maybe this says more for my inability to produce anything higher than a 3 on any given dice for things that have random movement!

sknich
10-02-2011, 19:56
I would reccomend making the grey seer the general and having him in the small bunker unit with the BSB. I dont see the point of putting him in harms way inthe large clanrat unit. Then the BSB and general are at no risk of fighting in combat (if all goes well) and the clanrat unit gets the additional attacks of the warlord. If he dies, then who cares?! To beef him up a bit I usually pay for poisoned attacks. Make him just a little bit tougher. But keep him cheap!

elfordminis
10-02-2011, 21:18
I would reccomend making the grey seer the general and having him in the small bunker unit with the BSB. I dont see the point of putting him in harms way inthe large clanrat unit. Then the BSB and general are at no risk of fighting in combat (if all goes well) and the clanrat unit gets the additional attacks of the warlord. If he dies, then who cares?! To beef him up a bit I usually pay for poisoned attacks. Make him just a little bit tougher. But keep him cheap!

I agree with poisoned attacks, I just wanted him in there so he has LOS so he can cast Dreaded 13th against those big units of chosen and slanns etc..

russellmoo
10-02-2011, 21:20
Drop the shields on the stormvermin- and maybe the masterbred R-ogre (you don't want to accept any challenges with this unit- and you are paying 15 points for 1 more attack)
Use the points to get more slaves-

sknich
10-02-2011, 21:42
LOS shouldnt be too much of an issue. That is mostly deployment. I deploy my Grey seer and BSB in a bunker behind my main battleline and dont usually have issues with it. Space out the front units a little bit and put the grey seer on a corner. It should be alright.

elfordminis
10-02-2011, 21:49
Ok then. So with whats been mentioned I've ammended the list. What do you think?

Lords 16.8%
Grey Seer, D3 Warpstone Tokens, Level 4 Wizard. Spells of Ruin & Plague. Foul Pendant.
Warlord, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Halberd, Poisoned Attacks.
Heroes 10.5%
Chieftain, BSB, Heavy Armour, Shield.
Chieftain, Heavy Armour, Sword of Swift Slaying, Potion of Strength.
Warlock Engineer, Doomrocket.
Warlock Engineer
Warlock Engineer

Core 38.8%
40 Clanrats, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Shields. Full Command. Poisoned Wind Mortar.
40 Clanrats, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Shields. Full Command. Warpfire Thrower.
20 Clanrats, Hand Weapons, Light Armour, Shields. Full Command.
50 Slaves, Shields. Musician
50 Slaves, Shields. Musician

Special 15.4%
5 Gutter Runners, Slings, Poisoned Attacks.
6 Rat Ogres, 2 Packmasters

Rare 17.3%
Doomwheel
Doomwheel
Warp Lightning Cannon
I now have 223 models. I've lost the HPA but still have a 'hammer' in another doomwheel. Plus its more 'Skaven'.

Any better?

Tordeck
11-02-2011, 15:21
If your not running a magical banner why no magic armour on your bsb. Find the points and get that guy the Armour of Destiny

elfordminis
11-02-2011, 15:55
Or a talisman of preservation for 5 points cheaper? It would mean loosing 9 Slaves from each unit. Is the protection worth that much?

sknich
11-02-2011, 17:23
If you keep him out of combat then no. I keep mine cheap and hide him in a bunker in the back of my battleline.

elfordminis
11-02-2011, 17:40
I planned on keeping him in the 20 clanrats behind the main line. With the General and hopefully enough ranks, I should get LD10 with a re-roll within 12"

sknich
11-02-2011, 18:24
just remember that the SiN bonus from the general's unit doesnt transfer over, so you would give them your Ld 7 plus whatever ranks they have.

elfordminis
11-02-2011, 21:31
Yeah I understand that. To a maximum +3 to the LD.