PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation

ftayl5
13-02-2011, 05:51
With all this talk of abusively huge monsters, excesses of hordes and the dreaded bravery of steadfast units, I've become quite curious as to what people are actually most intimidated by on the battlefield. Anything from specific units like Slaves, to just a type of unit in general, like big monsters.

Personally, quantity has always been scarier than quality. A unit of 15 Black Guard for eg. is really killy, but there's only 15 of them so they'd never really phase me. But a huge block of orcs is a pretty scary thing to face, simply because there are so many of them.
The first time I ever played Skaven (under it's previous rules) I just didn't know how I was going to deal with that many big units (plus I was using Tomb Kings so I was outnumbered about 4:1).

The other thing has always been flyers - specifically Pegasus Knights. Basically anything that can quite simply fly straight over my units has always been unnerving, and I've played against Bretonnians a lot and nothing else in the army has ever been particularly intimidating, but Pegasus Knights really are.

Anyway, what unit, or type of unit makes you shake in your shoes when your opponent gets it out of their carry case?

_L_
13-02-2011, 06:19
I think I'm similar to you. Numbers tend to intimidate me more than the other things you've mentioned. Seeing several mages alos makes me squirm as I know that a monster magic phase awaits me.

b4z
13-02-2011, 06:32
In varying degrees: Hell Pit Abomination, Steam Tank, Dual Hellcannons, Multiple Hydras, 6+ Dwarf/Empire Warmachines, 4+ Salamanders, and the list goes on... [probably insert Arachnarok here eventually]

And yes... i play High Elves.

Trains_Get_Robbed
13-02-2011, 07:02
The only thing that phases me is when I cannot correctly or have troubled target priorty on my enemies units. Recently, this has only been done perhaps once, but that was because there were 3 Hydras, and I lacked 3 'Ard units.

Ended up just S.C.R the third one, but seeing my opponet place three down told me I was in for a rare tactically challenging game.

Surgency
13-02-2011, 08:08
seeing several mages intimidates me. The higher the mage level, the higher the intimidation factor. Which is funny, seeing as how I rarely lose to magic :p

RMacDeezy
13-02-2011, 09:17
i'm scared to death of chosen, hellcannons, grey seers, and salamanders.

sssk
13-02-2011, 09:26
I have a passionate dislike for life mages. If I see one, it has to die, it has to die NOW! It has to die before now! It has to already be dead

Urgat
13-02-2011, 09:30
Magic and chaos knights kindda creep me out. Chaos warriors too. Those are the ones I face most, and they don't care about dice roll averages or anything, they just do their stuff, they run through my fanatics w/o taking a wound, smash in my lines like madcap-mushroom intoxicated stegadons, and when they start the killing, they usually end the killing too. No amounts of nets of shields or armor or anything seem to stop them. It usually takes loooooots and looooots of dead goblins till the trolls come to end their onslaught.
Stuff like flyers don't really worry me because they're usually weak to fanatics. ftayl5's peg knights are a favourite actually :p
I used to be very, very warry of fear, and hate terror (honestly, those were the ultimate weapons against my gobs), but now, well, they've been toned down, and after years of facing VC, I've gotten used to gobs running because a wraith looked at them funny or a banshee asked them for direction.

rb.uhs
13-02-2011, 09:31
I'm scared of naked men on a gaming table (Yes, this HAS happened before)

I am also scared of Hydras.

Darnok
13-02-2011, 09:33
I'd be interested in how people with arachnophobia react to the new Arachnarok monster spider. Intimidation or panic? ;)

Ultros
13-02-2011, 09:39
My regular opponent fields big blocks of Saurus and some Temple Guard.

They just laugh off my attempts to gun them down with repeater crossbow and bolt thrower fire, then massacre my close combat units.

My Black Guard are so far the only thing I have that can go toe to toe with them and win and even then my casualties are horrific. I can only have one unit of these and they cannot be everywhere at once!

Clanrat
13-02-2011, 09:43
as a skaven player, its pretty much mortars, mortars, mortars :)

never faced one of those rocket thingies but i doubt ill like them either :)

Rolf
13-02-2011, 09:48
The most intimidating thing is sometimes the person your playing. That and two big monsters (usually giants)

Actually the scariest thing is having to become like these people to compete in the game

Djekar
13-02-2011, 11:38
Intimidating? Big, high strength template weapons: WFT, Rocket Batteries, Doomrocket, Spells of Various Names, etc.

Also as someone who is scared of spiders, I still relish the thought of assembling, painting and using the Arachnarok (all hail the almighty Arachnarok!) against my opponents. Fear the way that I fear, puny pink mortals!

snottlebocket
13-02-2011, 11:39
Players who only care about their own victory. Such a waste of time.

Lorcryst
13-02-2011, 12:49
As a Night Goblin player, anything with templates, überspells, heavy hitters, things that cause fear/terror, and such like ...

But I'm also terrified of playing against a certain friend of mine, he's really good (much better than me) and has a knack for finding the most hurty combos ... always a hard challenge to play against him ...

Morkash
13-02-2011, 12:57
For me the most intimidating thing are huge blocks of elite units like Phoenix Guard, Chaos Warriors, Hammerers, Executioners and the like..
The presence of a Dragon-mounted Lord is quite unsettling as well...

Lordsaradain
13-02-2011, 13:19

Are you talking about a real man here, or a miniature modeled without clothes...?

Tae
13-02-2011, 14:21
I'd be interested in how people with arachnophobia react to the new Arachnarok monster spider. Intimidation or panic? ;)

Probably just a touch uncomfortable. I played a LotR tournament game against an arachnaphobic with an all spider army. He was okay just couldn't bring himself to move my models that were nearer him than me.

Bodysnatcher
13-02-2011, 14:39
A line of warmachines. Especially skaven ones. Losing half your army in the first turn on several occasions stings.

vinny t
13-02-2011, 17:08
Cannons really intimidate me, as all of my monsters/chariots will be dead by turn 2.

Helcannons are horrifying, as they cause insane damage with a S5 template and are also unbreakable CC monsters

I also fear Chaos Warriors, as they are usually pseudo-unbreakable and are hard as nails in CC.

GenerationTerrorist
13-02-2011, 17:18
34 Temple Guard, 2 Scar Veterans and a Life Slann in a 10*4 Horde formation....Impossible to deal with.

Lord Dan
13-02-2011, 17:22

As a mild arachnophobic I would throw everything in my army at it just to get the thing off the table. So panic, to answer your question.

RMacDeezy
13-02-2011, 18:50
34 Temple Guard, 2 Scar Veterans and a Life Slann in a 10*4 Horde formation....Impossible to deal with.

i'm pretty sure after facing that for the first time, xereus went home and invented the purple sun ;)

Bodysnatcher
13-02-2011, 19:51
i'm pretty sure after facing that for the first time, xereus went home and invented the purple sun ;)

And the pit of shades was forced to open a special queue for processing slaan.

reddevil18
13-02-2011, 19:53
As a WoC player id have to say warmachines. nothing else that i cant deal with really.

dimetri1
13-02-2011, 20:15
A unit of 100+ Empire troops with lords and heroes in a folding fortress. 8th edition stupidity.

sssk
13-02-2011, 20:23
And right there is why the phrase "maximum 20 (or maybe 30)" should definitely be somewhere within the building rules.

I'm still a strong believer in not using building rules anyway.

kyussinchains
13-02-2011, 20:38
I dislike seeing Thorek making an appearance, and large units of swordmasters are generally a pain....

although when I'm using my dark elves, I fear mortars above all..... putting dozens of dead elves back in the box every turn isn't much fun!

Daniel36
13-02-2011, 20:41
Hmmm... I think intimidation has so far been on a psychological level for me. My friend knows how to scare me well with just a smirk on his face. Once I got past that smirk, I actually found out he wasn't all that unbeatable, though his Undead still scare me a little...

tank_santa
13-02-2011, 21:05
I have always hated facing Empire players who use nothing but mass amounts of ballistic weapons and war machines. Was almost enough to stop me from playing all together.

Instead of letting the power game of mass guns in a close combat game beat me, I specifically went out and bought an army to best the Empire. After much work and thought my Tomb Kings arrived with every unit under the sun that I could get coming from under the ground. All those guns are great until a tomb swarm or scorpion wipes out 50% of your army because you couldn't fight worth a damn up close. From that point on the empire armies I faced seem to never win and started not wanting to play me. But thems the breaks of a broken game. Havn't played 8th yet though, building a new army for that.

Torpedo Vegas
13-02-2011, 21:11
Templates and mulit-attack high WS units.

logan054
13-02-2011, 21:42

How much had you guys drunk!

I think the only thing that concerns me on the table is HE SM and WL in large units.

RanaldLoec
13-02-2011, 22:39
My wife finding out how much I spend on the hobby.

Or how much I just spent on foam and carry cases for part of my Empire army.

I dare not add up how much I've spent in 19 odd years of playing fantasy. It's going to be allot. :(

rb.uhs
13-02-2011, 23:11
Are you talking about a real man here, or a miniature modeled without clothes...?

A real man. Alcohol + 24 hour paint marathon + deciding to play a game after said 24 hours = naked man on table

Jokes were made about the lack of clothing on flagellants and slayers.

Captainbastard
13-02-2011, 23:32
Chaos warriors with the mark of tzeench, including the lords that can now have a ward save of 3.

Also hordes of marauders with the mark of tzeentch that can attack at 3 ranks with greatweapons but only cost 6 points each and have a ward save of 6.

dimetri1
14-02-2011, 01:03
A real man. Alcohol + 24 hour paint marathon + deciding to play a game after said 24 hours = naked man on table

You are very brave for admitting this happened.

TheYoungin
14-02-2011, 01:50
Big units of deamons/4+ cannons in any army.

w3rm
14-02-2011, 02:01
Wizard Lords. I hate magic against me sooo much.

Trains_Get_Robbed
14-02-2011, 02:37

I don't even want to picture this XD

Torpedo Vegas
14-02-2011, 02:43
I don't even want to picture this XD

I do, in fact, I request pictures as proof.
I wonder what sort of terrain the naked man was treated as? Impassible or dangerous?

TrojanWolf
14-02-2011, 02:58
Slann for one. I haven't faced one in 8th yet, but I'm dreading cupped hands on my Grey Seer or Plague Priest.

Chaos Warriors for another. I've just had nothing but horrible luck against them, because what shooting I do take tends to be ineffective for some reason. Probably those heretic tinker-rats wanting to see my armies crushed... :shifty:

rb.uhs
14-02-2011, 04:07
You are very brave for admitting this happened.

What if I were to admit it was I who was naked on the table?

I think I just did.

I wonder what sort of terrain the naked man was treated as? Impassible or dangerous?

Unarmed and dangerous.

ftayl5
14-02-2011, 05:42
What if I were to admit it was I who was naked on the table?

I think I just did.
I think a naked man on the table is probably the most intimidating thing out there. Causes terror and 20D6 Impact Hits...

rb.uhs
14-02-2011, 05:44
I think a naked man on the table is probably the most intimidating thing out there. Causes terror and 20D6 Impact Hits...

Yeah my Great Weapon that is. Requires two hands. Finishes combat last.

ftayl5
14-02-2011, 06:39

lol

Now before this gets any more off topic, another thing that I really hate is Phoenix Guard, because no matter your WS or Strength, only half of them will actually die.

RanaldLoec
14-02-2011, 09:59

I beg to differ, its clearly a high elve great weapon as it always strikes first with a reroll, women are always strikes last, (lucky if they strike at all). ;)

rb.uhs
14-02-2011, 10:03
I beg to differ, its clearly a high elve great weapon as it always strikes first with a reroll, women are always strikes last, (lucky if they strike at all). ;)

Might need to raise your WS.

I have no idea what I'm talking about anymore.