PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 2000 pts. (I'm new to 8th edition)

ZeeB
13-02-2011, 21:31
Hello guys. I've been into the hobby for about 10 years and started out with fantasy but was drawn away from it towards 40k by my friends.
Now since there is a new edition out I plan to start a new fantasy army in the near future!
I decided to go for Skaven (was the army that I started out with all those years ago).
Since I haven't played the 8th edition anything at all I would appreciate any hints and tips as well as comments and criticism on my army list.
Anyways, I've done some reading in the new armybook and on the forums and this is the army that I've come up with after that!

Lord:
Grey Seer: Power scroll, Talisman of Preservation
300 pts.

Heroes:
Plague Priest: Flail, Plague furnace
254 pts.

Chieftain: Battle standard, Storm banner
120 pts.

Warlock Engineer: Doomrocket
45 pts.

Core:
40 Clanrats: Shields, Hand weapons, Full command, Warpfire thrower
270 pts.

40 Clanrats: Shields, Hand weapons, Full command, Poisoned wind mortar
265 pts.

40 Slaves: Musician
84 pts.

Special:

35 Plague Monks: Full command
275 pts.

Rare:
Hell Pit Abomination
235 pts.

Doomwheel
150 pts.

Total: 1993 pts.

And there you have it. As I said, hints and tips are appreciated :)

Ultimate Life Form
13-02-2011, 21:37
Well this is pretty much the army I run as well, so it can't be entirely bad. :p

You pretty much included everything the Skaven army needs, but from my own woeful experience though, I can tell that it lacks a bit in shooting. Your troops will be ground down fairly quick, so something to take care of the nasty stuff would work wonders. And a Hellpit doesn't last forever, either. If I would have to give an improvement suggestion, I would name a Warp Lightning Cannon (but then again I don't run one either due to clan animosity).

thesheriff
13-02-2011, 22:41
The issue with skaven, once you take a tower or two, your points go down fast. I would suggest getting a screaming bell, and dropping all the plague stuff. The rest of those points should be invested in some shooting (jezzails, warp-lightning cannon) and some real hard hitters (rat ogres)

Thesheriff

Metzler123
13-02-2011, 22:44
I would give your bsb some more cheap wargear, like 2 hands weapons and poison. Its just a few more points and makes him noticeably better in hth.

Also imo plague monks are a bit over-costed since frenzy is worse in 8th, but that's no reason not to use them if you like them.

Eisenhorn
14-02-2011, 07:55
Looks like an ok list, as other posters have stated. But i think you need a little more shooting. If you are not very attached to the plague unites i would drop them and get a warp lighting cannon or two. Possibly some more clanrats and slaves as well.

I did the numbers dropping the furnace, priest and monks, Lets you take 1 cannon another of your clanrat unites and 2 more unites of 40 slaves. increasing the model count of the army with ca 80.

Svarten
14-02-2011, 07:56
Unless the power scroll is 15pts, the seer's to cheap ^^
Also, recount the points cost of your slaves.

Other than that, I'd drop one of the big toys (HPA, wheel or furnace), and get another unit of clanrats. Since I think you're a little low on bodies, and a little high on toys xD

//Svarten

crazywhiteboydance
15-02-2011, 08:49
You need to find the points to give that plague monk unit the plague banner, it's too good not to have on that unit!

ZeeB
15-02-2011, 12:41
Thank you everyone for your much needed advice! I forgot to mention earlier that there where a few units that I really wanted to include in the army just for the sake of assembly and painting them up! The abomination and doomwheel are must haves, as well as "a tower" (as thesheriff called it). I revised the list (with correct calculations this time Svarten ;)) and this is what I came up with.
I dropped the "plaguestuff" in favour of another Clanrat unit as well as a Slave unit.
I also added a cannon (as some of you suggested that I needed a bit more shooting) and since I wanted a big centrepiece in my army I added a Screaming bell for my Grey Seer in favour of the furnace. I also changed my seers magic items since I've heard that the Power scroll is a bit unpopular in friendly games (which is what I'll be playing the most).

Here is the revised list:

Lord:
Grey Seer: Screaming bell, Skalm, Scroll of Shielding
485 pts.

Heroes:
Chieftain: Battle standard, Storm banner
120 pts.

Warlock Engineer: Doomrocket
45 pts.

Core:
40 Clanrats: Shields, Hand weapons, Full command, Warpfire thrower
270 pts.

40 Clanrats: Shields, Hand weapons, Full command, Poisoned wind mortar
265 pts.

33 Clanrats: Shields, Hand weapons, Full command
168,5 pts.

82 pts.

82 pts.

Rare:
Hell Pit Abomination
235 pts.

Doomwheel
150 pts.

Warp Lightning Cannon
90 pts.

Total: 1992,5 pts.

What are you thoughts on the revised list? I've managed to increase the size of the army as well as its shooting but is the bell a bit too much in 2000 pts games?
Tell me what you think!

Bazzal
15-02-2011, 23:19
the bell can never be too much and depending wht it rings could win you the game (ah silly lizardmen temple guard horde, slann mage priest lore of life and +4 toughness on all wht shall i do . . . . ill assume the skaven players have a grin on their face at this point and can see whts coming).

but anyway i like the list dont knw bout skalm as iv never used it usual build is seer + bell + power scroll and hope you dnt roll a 1-3 on miscast. since i fig ill be miscastin alot since hes only caster and has the 13th spell meaning 6 dice a pop.

but yeah a nice solid list i like it :-)