PDA

View Full Version : WoC manticore

reddevil18
14-02-2011, 00:18
Hey, i was just wondering if it would be worth using a manticore in my WoC army.
My current idea is a lvl 4 tzeench sorc with talisman of presivation and the tricksters helm mounted on one so if he does get charged hes hopefully not just going to be stuck in combat for the rest of the game.
I usually use this guy on the disk of tzeench if thats any help.

Thanks in advance.

Jericho
14-02-2011, 02:52
Most players would consider it to be a risky proposition. The beauty of the Disc rider is that he's cheap, counts as cavalry so when you're near cav he can get a Look out, sir! save, and there is no way the Disc can be sniped out from underneath him.

The Manticore has decent stats and the KB is nice, but he's a lot more expensive and a lot more exposed on a Large Target like that. He's going to attract a lot more attention and there isn't much keeping the Manticore alive when he gets shot with war machines.

If you are curious about the build, by all means proxy one up and play a few games with your mates to see how he performs and how he fits in with the rest of your army. It might actually be a viable solution to have him take the offensive and aggressively get in the face of your enemy's war machines and other support units. Risky, but in theory he should be able to wipe the floor with them in combat while still spamming some of the spells that don't require LOS. Luckily these are plentiful in the WoC book.

Don Zeko
14-02-2011, 03:23
The Manticore has decent stats and the KB is nice, but he's a lot more expensive and a lot more exposed on a Large Target like that. He's going to attract a lot more attention and there isn't much keeping the Manticore alive when he gets shot with any missile weapon of any kind.

I've fixed that for you. I own a manticore myself for my DE army, and I so dearly wish that it was a good choice. But I've tried, and it absolutely is not.

reddevil18
14-02-2011, 17:46
Thanks for the advice and i think ill go with jericho's suggestion using a dark elf model to test it out.
Just thought it would be cool as its a rarely seen model.

Darwin_green
14-02-2011, 18:05
I was wanting to convert myself a two-headed vulture or an eagle for a tzeentchian-manticore myself. But, the disc is all you really need for a flying mount for a sorcerer.

MattP
04-03-2011, 16:00
I just made one recently, used the DE manticore and the lord on demonic mount. I haven't played with him yet, but my plan is a tzeentch lord with a 3+ ward, i'll probably play around with different weapons. Thought about axe of khorne so the whole model has killing blow, but that would have to be in games above 2k. He is going to be super expensive point wise, but if I can keep him from being shot to death I can't imagine him not being fun killing machine that can fit in games of 2000 pts.

Makaber
04-03-2011, 19:47
Might be really vulnerable, but it's also bad ass. It's toy soldiers, so I'd go with what's bad ass and eat the occational cannonball. If you're concerned it might not make you good enough at toy soldiers, try doing something boring instead! Like gardening!

AMWOOD co
05-03-2011, 09:04
I've been thinking of running it as pure offence, go for the glory kind of thing:
Khorne Lord:
Axe of Khorne, Other Tricker's Shard, Charmed Shield, Golden Eye/Talisman of Endurance, riding a Manticore.

2+ armour, 5+ ward/4+ against shooting, ignore first hit on 2+, and have a total of 10 or 11 Killing Blow attacks that the enemy must reroll ward saves for. Point at the nearest target that killing blow can kill and... kill it.

Note: this is purely fun, but I have seen offence heavy flying monsters do increadible damage before. Just have to look for the unprepared.

Peregijn
05-03-2011, 16:47
I've been thinking of running it as pure offence, go for the glory kind of thing:
Khorne Lord:
Axe of Khorne, Other Tricker's Shard, Charmed Shield, Golden Eye/Talisman of Endurance, riding a Manticore.

2+ armour, 5+ ward/4+ against shooting, ignore first hit on 2+, and have a total of 10 or 11 Killing Blow attacks that the enemy must reroll ward saves for. Point at the nearest target that killing blow can kill and... kill it.

Note: this is purely fun, but I have seen offence heavy flying monsters do increadible damage before. Just have to look for the unprepared.

i really like this idea, concider it copy pasted into my "things to try out" list

MattP
06-03-2011, 15:44
hmm yeah I like your idea! Gonna try that out as well. Should be fun. Characters on monsters have always had the same problems of being cannon ball magnets and such. They are always fun though. Back when my dogs of war weren't layered in dust I used to have fun with Asarnil. My opponent always had a glint of terror in their eyes at the beginning of the game wondering how I could have a dragon until came to terms with how easy it is to kill an elf and cannon ball the dragon.