PDA

View Full Version : 2000 points ngoblin list

drear
14-02-2011, 07:27
with the release of the massive spider, i thought id dust off the 50 nightgoblins i had and start an army to include some spiders and genral gobliness!

im unsure how an all gobvlin force should be organised, but i suspect a horde or two is always a good choice so:

lord:

goblin warboss - magical weapon, armour, magical armour/wardsave -?

heroes:
night goblin shaman - dispell scroll, wardsave, lvl 2

night goblin shaman - ' magical items here'

goblin big boss - bsb, la, greatweapon , bad moon banner

core:

50 night goblins - spears, sheilds, netters, 3 fanatics

40 night goblins - spears, sheilds, netters, 3 fanatics

20 night goblins - bows, muscian, champion

5 spider riders - bows

5 spider riders - bow

special:

6 spear chukkas

rare:

arachnorok spider - flinger
mangler squig
mangler squig

little bit of an edit:

taking out the shaman lord on spider, frees up nearly 500 points in the list.
goblin warboss for the ld 8, shamans remaining lvl 2's so they can get a spell or two off , as its only 5+ to cast alot of stuff.
still need some thought as to what ites they need though.

added some spider riders for flanking and warmachine hunting, bows and poison attacks should be perfect for this.

spear chukkas maxxed out , leaving a bit of a gap in special for maybe some squigg herders or hoppers

and rare , the mangler squigs will be so fun to use, maybe cause some chaos before any fanatics leap out, and the spider can fling asl around aswell as get into any smaller units or warmachines/other monsters.

i think this is well under 2k points atm but its got room to work around with items and units..

Spyral
14-02-2011, 13:29
I'd up one of the 20's to a horde (30) and take ssome archers or more spear chukkas if possible.

sssk
14-02-2011, 14:08
Just a rapid reply I'm afraid, but let's see if we can make a few minor changes.

First up, you'll really notice the low leadership of goblins without a common warboss heading up the outfit. I know with a big spider shaman leading it's going to be hard/impossible to include a warboss, but just bear in mind it's a very handy thing to have. Also unless you can give the spider shaman a big juicy ward save, he might find himself getting utterly flattened by cannons and stone throwers (even if a stone thrower scatters it may well still land with the hole of the template over your spider). The problem there being that at 2000 points, you have 500 to spend on the spider shaman, and I'm thinking that expensive shaman, plus expensive spider, doesn't leave much leg room. Also, bear in mind that to win combats, both spiders will need to get stuck in. Goblins can hold out for a while with nets and lots of ranks (5 wide and as many ranks as you can get), but they're not going to win anything on their own.

As you can no doubt tell, I have little trust in putting characters on monsters. However as that's the theme of your army, go for it. Personally, if I were planning an arachnarok army, I'd plan it to 2500 or more, and just put 2 of them in as rare choices.

I'd think you'll only need/want 1 extra shaman after the spider one.

I'd make the 2 20 man goblin units into bows, because spear and shield isn't all that good (and assuming you're using skull pass goblins, you should have plenty of bows lying around). I would also drop most of the fanatics, because you'll find they're a lot less effective than you think (everyone starts with hundreds and ends up with 2-4 in total). Nets on the 20 man units will be ridiculously expensive (10 points more than in the current book!) and I don't think they'll give enough benefit for the price.

Spear chukkas just aren't all that good nowadays. I would take a rock lobba or a doom diver (take them both if you have points spare from dropping fanatics).

Hope that helps.

thesheriff
14-02-2011, 18:48
The ward save on teh spider is a bit pointless as the spider will get sniped. Give him Ironcurse icon, and maybe a scroll of some variety. Keep him cheap.

Convert the 50-strong to have bows, get spider banner on the bsb. Lots of poisened shots. Drop the 2 20-man and get anouther 40 man as you have kitted.

The lv.2s are too many points for a waste. Drop them, amybe keep one, bump the lv.3 to a 4 for extra dispel.

Get some Rare giant squigs. 2D6 S6 when in combat or move through?. There like giant fanatics, fit perfect with the theme. My mates converting some troll fanatics as stand ins for his NG army (with hoods and everything :p).

thesheriff

Captainbastard
15-02-2011, 00:23
Bah, the low leadership from the shaman is just not going to be good. If you possibly can, knock off some points from your lord and get a common goblin warlord with a ward save. Otherwise I dont see how the army will survive its first couple of leadership tests. I am personally not a big fan of big monster riders either, but you know, its your army.

I also think in 8th edition you do not need to spam loads of wizards like in 7th. 3 shamans is a lot of points I would have a level 2 and a level 3. Its not like they give you extra power dice. Maybe just a level 3 and a level 1? The night goblin can add extra power dice from his magic mushrooms.

I would personnally put the two night goblin units together to make another unit of 40. Drop a few fanatics you have way too many. Its not worth the points to put nets into small units of 20 also.

Most importantly I think, you should use some of the points you have skimmed off to get some combat troops because at the moment you wont actually do any damge in cc, except from the spider thing. I would suggest trolls or squigherds. Unfortunately trolls will not be worth taking unless you can get LD8. Squig herds arent as good, but with the new rules you could just stick 15 squigs into the front of one of those NG units and get rid of the fanatic (only 24 points). Maybe get some squig manglers too.

drear
15-02-2011, 07:30
thanks for the replies guys (:

youve given me a lot to think about goblin wise.
i agree that a lord on a spider is a massive point sink, especially as the 270 points for the spider mount count towards lord points allocation.
goblin warboss it is i think..is it worth taking him on a giant squig?

the free points from loosing the shaman as a lord and his mount means i can have a giant spider and a mangler squig or two as a rare choice, which is great news as these units look/sound/hopefully play very cool.

i think for my core ill need to play about with unit sizes and types, i know i want ngoblins, but i wasnt sure whether archers were worth it. however with the poison spell in the little waagh it may be worth it to take 2 units of 20 archers along with 2 hordes of spears and sheild goblins.

special i think ill go for squigs, the tactic is to just herd the large squig unit towards the enemy and hope for the unit to break ? so the squigs scatter everywhere? thinking a unit of 20 squig with herders.
and then maybe some spear chukkas..as i can have 6 .

sadly lobbas moved to rare in the new book so i cant have all my special points in those.

Captainbastard
15-02-2011, 14:26
I would not put the warboss on a squig (too vulnerable). If you really want a massive squig take a squig mangler instead.

I think squig herds are ok in the new rules but they do have low I and T, making them a bit vulnerable. Technically speaking trolls are much better, but if I was doing a really fluffy list I would probably include a few squigs. Also if you have a giant spider you could put it in a troll unit for protection and it still has a high movement from the trolls. Now that you have a higher LD, trolls are viable.

I don't think spear chukkas are as good as they used to be. Six of them may sweep up too many points for other things.

Spiney Norman
15-02-2011, 14:51
The ward save on teh spider is a bit pointless as the spider will get sniped. Give him Ironcurse icon, and maybe a scroll of some variety. Keep him cheap.

Convert the 50-strong to have bows, get spider banner on the bsb. Lots of poisened shots. Drop the 2 20-man and get anouther 40 man as you have kitted.

The lv.2s are too many points for a waste. Drop them, amybe keep one, bump the lv.3 to a 4 for extra dispel.

Get some Rare giant squigs. 2D6 S6 when in combat or move through?. There like giant fanatics, fit perfect with the theme. My mates converting some troll fanatics as stand ins for his NG army (with hoods and everything :p).

thesheriff

The problem is you can't legally take a L4 on an arachnarok with a spider shrine, because it puts you 10pts over the lord limit in a 2K game, I would forgo the L3 because the spider shrine is far more useful. Also give him the channeling staff so he channels on 3+

Drop the ext level on the level 2s, they're basically there to channel extra dice anyway. I'd also strongly consider giving your BSB something to keep him alive instead of a magic banner, best options would be Armour of destiny or silvered steel.

The 20 strong units should be archers, and strictly speaking you only need one of them. IMHO net upgrades are a waste on units of 20.

Oh one other thing... no trolls, really???

drear
16-02-2011, 07:19
sounds like a good plan spiney norman, dropping the levels down abit, if i keep the spider mounted lord.

definitly including 20 archers, i think playing ogre kingdoms made me forget armies had ranged units..XD

as for trolls, it seemed to be the consensus that unless you can include a higher leadership general, trolls wernt so good, because they would just drool and wander forward?
ill only take nets on the two hordes i plan on taking and only take a small amount of fanatics.

ill edit the list abouve to show my intentions anways (:

Captainbastard
16-02-2011, 14:47
With a goblin warboss LD, and a BSB close by, the trolls should be ok. When you should not takt trolls is if your general has lower than LD 8 and you can't keep them close to the BSB.