PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Valkia WoC

Spyral
14-02-2011, 12:36
I've not actually played 8th edition yet (played 5-7) and was thinking of doing a new thematic army based on Khorne with Valkia. Everything except the knights, marauders and standard warriors is converted. (hounds will have 'brass collars, ogres are made from ironguts etc)

My only worry is with the insanity that is the magic phase will I be totally gimped and just get nuked before I get into the squishy phase?

List (2000pts)

L: Valkia = 410

H: Exalted Hero - BSB, collar of khorne, helm of many eyes, halberd = 189

C: 18 Warriors - MoK, full command, halberds = 348
C: 18 Warriors - MoK, full command, ahw or halberds (cannot decide!) = 348
C: 40 Marauders - MoK, standard, musician, great weapons = 242
C: 5 Warhounds = 30
C: 5 Warhounds = 30

S: 4 Ogres - MoK, musician, great weapons, chaos armor = 240

R: Warshrine - MoK = 160

Zaknifa
14-02-2011, 19:03
Give the two warrior units halberds. The extra hand weapons won't help with supporitng attacks and will keep their strength at 4.

When Strength 5 guarantees that heavy armour alone is negated and you are wounding most normal man sized infantry on 2's.
Also strength 5 allows the warrior to go against any monster easily an come out on top most of the time, against Ogres or minotaurs you are striking first and usually on a low roll. The strength 5 allows you to wound your biggest threat on 3's while negating any armour they can purchase.

Also you might want to consider replacing the hounds, unless you are dead set on them, with something else. More marauders or marauder horsemen depending on what you want the dogs to do.

Spyral
14-02-2011, 19:33
I will change them to halberds assuming I can find enough bitz to convert them all up :-)

What would you recommend changing the hounds to .. they only give 60 pts..

thesheriff
14-02-2011, 20:04
Looks good. I dont rate ogres, but they do vary the army slightly.

And, always halberds. They rock to good :p

thesheriff

Zaknifa
14-02-2011, 22:04

What could work would be a small unit of marauder horsemen, about 4 or 5, that you send off warmachine hunting. Give them either armour, spears or javelins. This will allow them to pester flanks with projectiles or be Strentgh 4 on teh charge agianst warmachines. They are also one more inch faster than dogs and with a vanguard move they can do some damage.

Don Zeko
15-02-2011, 04:30
I will change them to halberds assuming I can find enough bitz to convert them all up :-)

You're using chaos knight lances, right?

Evil Hypnotist
15-02-2011, 11:51
Seeing as the Hero hits at Str 5 already, why not give him the Sword of Swift Striking instead of Helm of Many Eyes and halberd. Save a point and no Stupidity test! ;)

Spyral
15-02-2011, 13:09
@Don - no they have the magic ensorcelled blades (+1 str all the time)
And I could just give the hero that sword if it works better. No stupidity would be a plus as its bound to bite me in the @$$ when I least need it to.

Also I've a question:

Valkia allows 12" re-roll of break tests
A BSB allows the same and gives +1 in combat (stacks with unit banner) The BSB also allows breaktest re-rolls (a la 7th edition) or does it allow **all** LD tests to be re-rolled (like frenzy restraint, panic etc?) As if not all its doing is adding +1 for 75 pts when I'd be better off with the warbanner on some warriors!

Also my marauders have Great weapons that I've converted to make them more uber (by replacing the flail tops with blades, hammer tops, tseubo tops, mace tops, axe tops etc) *evil grin*

Sheve
15-02-2011, 13:41
@Don - no they have the magic ensorcelled blades (+1 str all the time)

I think he means, use the Chaos knight lances to convert warrior halberds.

TonyFlow
18-02-2011, 04:23
Valkia only grants reroll of break tests (as you said), the BSB grants rerolls of ALL leadership tests of any kind. Quite a bit better I think. Panic, fear, terror, break tests, rallying, frenzy, etc... the works