PDA

View Full Version : Help with Empire army

asperon
14-02-2011, 20:09
Hi guys,

I have just started planning a new Empire army based on the Swedish forces that participated in the 30 year war. The army will be mainly fluffy even if i would like to be able to win a game from time to time. The current restrictions i have set for myself are:

No Knights of any kind
Only handgunners, no crossbow or archers
No wizards (i might abandon this one if it proves insane, but i want to try)

The idea is 2 blocks of state troops with detachments, one block of greatswords with detachment, supported by some cannons/mortars. Some pistoleers etc might be used at a later point.

Now, the questions:

1. Is this doable?
2. State troops, what is a good layout? I am thinking halberdiers with hand gunners, what is a good choice of melee support for the halberdiers?
3. Heroes will be BSB and WP, and probably a GoE. Good/Bad?

Thanks

Lord Solar Plexus
15-02-2011, 10:37
The idea is nice and I'm sure the force would look great but you do have to make some compromises. This is Fantasy after all, not historical gaming.

A solid core force would consist of 2x 40 Halberdiers, 2x Mortars, 2x Great Cannon for 790 points. A BSB is a must, as is a General for Ld 9. Units of 30+ Greatswords can be very effective. To be frank, I would not field an army without a level 4 wizard at 2k or more. There are too many brutal spells out there that you don't want to let pass unopposed or at a severe disadvantage to your dispell rolls and too many useful buffs and hexes. I recommend adding a warrior priest to both halberdier units or to take an Archlector as your General to ameliorate this problem but even with more dice, you'll be hard-pressed in the magic phase.

Why don't you come over to the Empire Tactica? Perhaps we can help you there.

asperon
15-02-2011, 11:48
Thanks, i have posted the question in the tactica thread as well.