PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ward - best Codex writer ever?

Sarevok
15-02-2011, 15:12
Matt Ward is undoubtedly the best codex writer ever. Yes, really! All the GW codex writers want to be like Matt Ward and recognise him as their spiritual liege.

Think about it, who does the moaning? Not Blood Angels, Ultramarines or Grey Knights. Plays who don't like their codex - Eldar (Kelly), Chaos (Gav), Dark Angels (Jervis), Tyranids (Cruddace). But if you play a Matt Wardex you are happy.

Why can't GW get Matt Ward to write all the codexes, 40K would be balanced. At least have him replace Jervis as head of 40K, or whatever Jervis does now.

Godzooky
15-02-2011, 15:14
Matt Ward is undoubtedly the best codex writer ever. Yes, really! All the GW codex writers want to be like Matt Ward and recognise him as their spiritual liege.

Think about it, who does the moaning? Not Blood Angels, Ultramarines or Grey Knights. Plays who don't like their codex - Eldar (Kelly), Chaos (Gav), Dark Angels (Jervis), Tyranids (Cruddace). But if you play a Matt Wardex you are happy.

Why can't GW get Matt Ward to write all the codexes, 40K would be balanced. At least have him replace Jervis as head of 40K, or whatever Jervis does now.

Fancied sparking a flame war, did we? :shifty:

Hendarion
15-02-2011, 15:17
Ahahaha, now that is a mean topic.

Captain Semper
15-02-2011, 15:20
Yes, what does Jervis do? Is he really the head of 40k? Or has he some other capacity in GW?

AlphariusOmegon20
15-02-2011, 15:20
Are you serious? :wtf:

Shamana
15-02-2011, 15:21

Indeed! A true Matt Ward codex will take on waves after waves of other codices, and break their deathstars into the dust, catching them full on in the Gauntlets of Ward, wielded by his greatest champion, Deus Ex Marnea!

MikeyB
15-02-2011, 15:22
Lol! Awesome! That made me laugh!

He's got a point though, if he wrote Eldar we'd have 96" range str9 AP1 shuriken catapults, I'd be well up for that :P

GingerBalls
15-02-2011, 15:24
I'm gonna stay out of this one other than to say I love my Kelly written DE codex.

theJ
15-02-2011, 15:31
I'm gonna stay out of this one other than to say I love my Kelly written DE codex.

This man, woman or possibly squig speaks the truth.

Bunnahabhain
15-02-2011, 15:36
C+

A reasonable attempt at a flame war, but highly unoriginal. with a little more creativity, you have great potential.

Raibaru
15-02-2011, 15:37
The reason people complain about Kelly, Jervis, and Gav is because they sit there and let Ward have a shot at codex after codex invalidating all their work.

You have the few good guys on the team that want to make a balanced and enjoyable game. Then you have Ward who must win WIN !W!I!N!.

And of course, he only works on Marines. So /shrug.

stormfalcon
15-02-2011, 15:42
What gets me is that it doesn't seem like it should be so difficult to have some kind of organizational body at GW that established basic guidelines for the codices so that the power levels are at least reasonably on par and the individual writers don't butcher the fluff.

Mannimarco
15-02-2011, 15:44
I preferred your other trolling flame war baiting topic where you said it wasnt fair for a phoenix lord to be on par with a SM chapter master.

Dreachon
15-02-2011, 15:48
Deamons of Chaos, I've said enough with that one.

KingDeath
15-02-2011, 15:51
I actually like Ward's books. Sure, the fluff should be considered a crime against humanity, but the actual rules are good. Both the Emo Angels and the vanilla marines books allow a a variety of quite fun builds while the number of useless units is quite low.

Torpedo Vegas
15-02-2011, 15:55
This got me thinking, what does Jervis even do nowadays?

archont
15-02-2011, 15:55
Huh
I actually think that the Eldarcodex is still okay (I play mostly Eldar)
I also think that the DarkEldarcodex is okay (they're my sideArmy)
I like the Tyranidcodex, for not being over the top

The SpaceMarinecodex as well as the Bloodangels one don't bother me as much (my SM opponents are usually giving me enjoyable games, I haven't played too much vs BA though honestly)

IG and SW on the other hand are two codici I face almost regularly, and I honestly dislike both for beeing a tad bit too powerfull

Edit: Honestly, I'll have to break a lance for MattW: While the fluff he does is indeed rage-inducing, Ruleswise he's doing a good job

The flak he geats is really not justified imho

Matt is a cool guy, eh writes marines and doesn't afraid of anything

As for trollattempt: 1/10, and one point only for having sufficient brains to pick a topic that could've incited a flamewar - execution was lacking though

webba84
15-02-2011, 15:57
Trolls these days, they just don't put their heart into it anymore. It's a sad day when even the standards of people who have no standards are slipping..

Castigator
15-02-2011, 15:58
Sad attempt at a flame-war, but speaking strictly 5th Edition, I think spot-on.

Kelly is hit (Dark Eldar) and miss (Space Wolves).

Cruddace is miss (Tyranids) and miss (Imperial Guard).

Blood Angels and regular Space Marines are the most diverse books and pretty much the only two books where I do not know pretty much every unit taken simply by the name of the army on a tourney-roaster.

Subjective opinions on fluff are subjective.

Hendarion
15-02-2011, 16:07
... and I got a warning for making such kinds of topics ...

DuskRaider
15-02-2011, 16:10
matt ward is undoubtedly the best codex writer ever. Yes, really! All the gw codex writers want to be like matt ward and recognise him as their spiritual liege.

Think about it, who does the moaning? Not blood angels, ultramarines or grey knights. Plays who don't like their codex - eldar (kelly), chaos (gav), dark angels (jervis), tyranids (cruddace). But if you play a matt wardex you are happy.

Why can't gw get matt ward to write all the codexes, 40k would be balanced. At least have him replace jervis as head of 40k, or whatever jervis does now.

hahahahahahahahaha......

..... Hahahahahahahahaha

archont
15-02-2011, 16:15
... and I got a warning for making such kinds of topics ...

I got a warning for asking the OP in his last thread wether or not he was a troll... Or not the brightest...

Seriously though, shouldnt you strip people such as him of tue the right to create new threads?

GrogDaTyrant
15-02-2011, 16:34
Lol! Awesome! That made me laugh!

He's got a point though, if he wrote Eldar we'd have 96" range str9 AP1 shuriken catapults, I'd be well up for that :P

Only if he likes the army. If he doesn't, then you're looking at 8" Str 2, with a random chance of killing it's user.

Shamana
15-02-2011, 16:43
When did he do that? I think the BA codex was quite bearable, although there were a few facepalms like that amicable parting with Necrons... The army wasn't exactly weak either - I'd say it might be no weaker than the Space Pups in that.

GrogDaTyrant
15-02-2011, 16:48
When did he do that? I think the BA codex was quite bearable, although there were a few facepalms like that amicable parting with Necrons... The army wasn't exactly weak either - I'd say it might be no weaker than the Space Pups in that.

Try looking towards his record with Fantasy books.

Hypaspist
15-02-2011, 16:48
... and I got a warning

I got a warning

If you got a warning, you probably broke the forum rules at some level.
This in turn, was probably because your post was reported (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_reporting_posts).
Which is the correct response to someone breaking the forum rules.

Torpedo Vegas
15-02-2011, 16:56
Try looking towards his record with Fantasy books.

I like 8th ed. However, if you wander over to the Fantasy forums, you'll see he gets a lot of hate too.

Hendarion
15-02-2011, 17:00
If you got a warning, you probably broke the forum rules at some level.
This in turn, was probably because your post was reported (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_reporting_posts).
Which is the correct response to someone breaking the forum rules.
I'm aware of that. I've just been wondering how these kinds of topics as this one would be any different.
Forget it, it's not important and you seem to have missed the point.

LonelyPath
15-02-2011, 17:00
While Ward writes some good lists, I feel his books should have someone else in charge of the fluff.