PDA

View Full Version : All spiders all the time.

mistrmoon
16-02-2011, 03:54
goblin great shaman
lv4
4+ward talisman
Arachnarok
spell/dreamcatcher web thingy (loremaster for the rider and every goblin in 12" gets +2 to channeling attempts).

goblin War boss (the spider lord above is 550 points, i dont know the goblin war boss's cost off the top of my head, i may need to take away the lvl4 upgrade, he's already a loremaster)
Giant spider
+gear?

goblin boss
bsb
spider mount (i think he can take this)
armour of destiny
shield
LA

goblin boss
GW
spider mount
potion of fool hardiness
LA

goblin boss
GW
spider mount
charmed shield

goblin shaman lvl1
Iron curse icon
D.scroll
Spider mount

Spider riders x 20 (7x3 one character goes here)
fcmnd
bows

fcmnd
bows

fcmnd
bows

fcmnd
bows

Spider riders x 21
fcmnd
bows

Arachnarok
web launcher

Arachnarok

The plan is to have the goblin shamen just pump out as many spells as possible. With 2 attempts at 4+ channeling i should be good for power dice and with the goblin lore attribute I should be set.

So what do you think? I just thought it would be a neat idea for an army and when i saw the arachnarok all built up and looking awesome i just had to have an army with a few.

ftayl5
16-02-2011, 05:23
You got something against common goblins?
a) I'm pretty sure that only Common Gobbo shamans can ride the Arachnarok and only common gob characters can ride other spiders
b) They have better LD - so if your general is going to be a goblin, he should be a common one.

I think you think just completely max out on spiders if you're going to do this. Perhaps with a little unit of 20 NG for the watchtower

mistrmoon
16-02-2011, 05:32
Ah, you are correct all my characters should be regular goblins not night goblins.

theorox
16-02-2011, 07:22
And the Catchweb Spidershrine (Dreamcatcher thingy as you put it) does not grant stubborn to anyone as far as i know. That was a false rumour. ;)

Theo

ftayl5
16-02-2011, 10:05
What Theo said, I believe it just gives your wizard and others within __" +2 on channel rolls, and gives the spider shaman the loremaster ability. Which frankly, I;d prefer to stubborn anyway.
That might not be 100% correct though.

ARabidNun
16-02-2011, 21:53
It looks like a good start to me, apart from O&G not having any solid core spidery units other than spider riders which are more fast cavalry then troops.

It looks like youll be busy assembling those Arachnarocks :)

I know the units of nightgoblins aren't fully within the feel of a spider army but if you give em some of the old goblin shields with the old spider emblems and a spidery type banner, should fit better. The other option may be to replace the n.goblins with something more spidery and warn your opponent ahead what they are. Off the top of my head some medium sized spiders. Unless the tourny restricts proxies.

Haravikk
16-02-2011, 22:58
While I think you might struggle a little bit the army does still sound like it'd do a ton of damage and be great fun to field and play.

I personally would consider some infantry blocks like others have said, probably Night Goblins would be best as if you just made sure the unit had nets in it (which I think you'll want to field them with anyway?) then just paint them to look like spider webs, maybe customise the shields if you can (or don't add them) to avoid other dominant iconography and just put spidery bits everywhere. It sounds like the Arachnarok has quite a few spiders in it so you could add them to regiments effectively, and it could look great without too much effort!

Captainbastard
16-02-2011, 23:34
At the moment your army general has a LD of I think 6. I am suprised few people have mentioned this because it is kinda important in a goblin army. Try to take a normal goblin warboss allongside your shaman.

Also I don't think you can take a night goblin on the big spider munster thing. I don't think night goblins can take the spider banner. I don't think night goblins can ride on spider mounts (did you mean the gigantic spider, they can't ride that either).

mistrmoon
17-02-2011, 06:13
the next post down is a correction, pretend all the night goblin characters are regular goblins so my leadership is slightly better.

Captainbastard
17-02-2011, 14:32
That really isn't the only flaw in the army - no offence. The big problem with this army is LD.

Your BSB is not going to be able to keep up with the rest of your army, unless you put him on a spider of some kind. So the main block of spiders will not get the benefits of the BSB unless you hold them all back with the rest of your infantry. To top it off your army general (the shaman) has abysmal LD. A single volley of arrows on your spider riders could cause them to panic, making the whole army panic at the same time.

You really don't need to make night goblins stuborn. They can already be steadfast by deploying in deep ranks, so its wasted points. Besides with their LD it won't matter whther you are steadfast and have a BSB, because they will panic quickly anyway. Unless you can keep the general and the BSB close together with the rest of the army, you will suffer mass panic checks. If I were you I would swap the NG units for more spider riders. That way, you can keep the whole army close together all of the time and they can benefit from the general and the BSB giving them a LD boost. I would make the units of spider riders bigger.

Unless you can manage to squeeze the points for a goblin warboss you are still going to have a very low LD army. I would try my hardest to get a goblin warboss, even if it means dropping a few things on the spider and shaman and taking a very basic warboss. The combination of the warboss and BSB being close together will stop your army from being vulnerable to mass panic tests (then we would be getting somewhere).

I think you have too many points in shamans. Simply drop one of them and make the other one a level 2 instead of a level 1. 3 shamans are not necessary.

You can then use some of the points saved to get a gigantic spider or two for your characters, if possible within your character allowance. This will add some beef to your units.

Instead of taking the spider banner I would take a ward save or some other armour for your BSB. I think you can make the units poisoned with magic anyway. The banner would probably not be worth it for a few spiders that are already poisoned. You need to protect your BSB at all costs.

Sorry to be so brutal with your army. It just looks like it is ripe for mass panic checks.

Rogzor87
17-02-2011, 15:31
don't forget the Goblin heroes on GIGANTIC spiders!

I'm doing a very similar army. got about 80 Spiders riders, 2 bosses on spiders, 4 bosses on gigantic spiders, going to get 2 arachnoroks and need some shamans on spiders. going to have lots of fun with it!. probly going to use hte little spiders off the arachnoroks base and put htem on 40mm and say there snotlings.

mistrmoon
17-02-2011, 20:38
I was juggling the idea of the goblin war boss plus the banner of discipline so he can hand out the +1 leadership and make the army a bit sturdier. also the double lvl 1s is so i can have a lot of chances to channel, with the +2

Captainbastard
17-02-2011, 21:15
Yes, do anything you can to get the warboss. Keep the whole army close to the warboss and BSB, within their LD bubble.

Captainbastard
17-02-2011, 21:23
I think the army is looking a lot better. And a bit fluffier too.

How many points do you have to spend on lords? Its a shame the big spider thing comes out of your lords cost, but I really think a decent LD for your general is necessary for a goblin army. Hope you don't have to drop too much off your shaman.

You could try it with 2 level 1 shamans and see how it works. Or if you prefer 2 bosses then use that.

I would be tempted to make the forest goblin units into 3 or 4 big units but try it out and see what works for you. I think the army will still be quite difficult to use, but is getting there. Don't expect this army to be an easy win, because it will be difficult to go up against infantry with lots of ranks such as skaven.