PDA

View Full Version : O&G a good start?

Tedurur
17-02-2011, 15:10
So Im thinking about getting into Fantasy (again). While I want it to be less waacish than my 40k armies I still want a decent army. So with that in mind would it be a good start getting something like this?

2xCurrent Battalions (20xSpiders, 40xBoyz, 2xBoar Chariots, 40xNGs)
4xRiver Troll Boxes (probably played as standard trolls tho)
4xSavage Orcs Boxes
3xNG Boxes
1xOrc Boar Chariot
2xRock Lobbas
1xDoom Diver
2xBoxes of Fanatics
1xSavage Orc Warboss
1xSavage Orc Shaman
2xNG Shamans

Any comments will be much welcomed :)

russellmoo
17-02-2011, 16:55
Well, you are only 2 troll boxes away from running the troll horde- see the O&G tactics thread-

You might also want to think about running savage orc boar boyz- just cuz they'll go well (theme-wise) with your savage orcs-

Captainbastard
17-02-2011, 17:21
You can get the night goblins on ebay at about half the price. You could almost make two armies from this lot I think. For example if you had an extra set of night goblins and a few more night goblin characters, you could make a troll and night goblin themed army in itself (just about).

How big do you want the army to be? You have enough troops here to kind of pick and choose several different 2000 point armies. I think you have about 2000 points at least before you even start to add characters.

Morkash
17-02-2011, 18:36
If you go for THAT, then it is definately a most solid basement. If you have the resources at hand, I see no reason for not buying that.
Welcome on the Green side of life!

Tedurur
17-02-2011, 19:43
Thanks for the comments! I was thinking of playing 2-2.5k games. So I get it this seems like a solid and balanced start then?
The idea is to use two NG squads to protect the flanks of the big savage orc unit with shaman and war boss, then have the trolls and chariots come in and smack anything that gets stuck on my orcs or goblins and the spiders go hunting warmachines.

Since I really dislike metal models I hope that I can stay away from spear chukkas, is that a feasible idea? The trolls should be able to vomit down high armor units?

Captainbastard
17-02-2011, 20:51
I think it is a pretty solid army.

It must be more than 2.5K I think. Spear chuckas arent as good anymore anyway.

stonetroll
17-02-2011, 21:00
Only thing I'm missing from that list personally is 40* Black Orcs and MAYBE 10 more regular boyz (in the current edition my 50 HW/Shield boyz do great as either a horde against weak troops or as an anvil against heavier units).

PwndaBearr
18-02-2011, 05:42
Don't know how big you are on running Goblins, but if you are going to run NGs then you will probably want more of those.

Also there is now the Arachnarok, which is pretty awesome imo.

theorox
18-02-2011, 06:20
Welcome to Brokeness, kompis. ;)

Where in Sweden are you at?

Theo

Tedurur
18-02-2011, 06:54
I have considered the idea of black orcs but I want to have savage Orc forestish theme. I figured that the NG can rather easily be made to fit the theme by painting their robes in a camouflage scheme instead of black. The BOs would be alot more difficult to get right. I hope the trolls can fill the BOs role sufficiently well?
As for the boyz, I was thinking of giving them bows and then have them sit back and protect my warmachines.

I want to run a mixed Orc and Goblin force so I think 100 NGs will have to do for now, especially since I want to have the army painted before I start playing :). The Spider looks awesome indeed but Im really not sure about its rules. Seems like an easy way of loosing 290pts to two cannon balls, still, I will most likely buy it anyway :)

Thanks Theo :P, I live in Lund

Jind_Singh
18-02-2011, 07:40
my 2500 Urty (pain giver) army runs

BO Warboss
BO BSB
level 4 shaman

40 orc big uns
40 black orcs
40 NG spears

2 wolf chariots
boar chariot

2 pump wagons
giant

Look for CHEAP Battle for SKull Pass sets (or better still for people selling their NG sets) and load up!

40 Black Orcs is yummy - if your going more feral:

40-80 Savage orcs - minimum!
5-10 boar boys
Big spider
spider riders
Savage Orc Warboss on Wyvern (why not!)

whitespyre
18-02-2011, 08:09
40 orc big uns
40 black orcs
40 orcs - minimum!
5-10 boar boys

Would you run the 40 black Orcs in a horde?

Jind_Singh
18-02-2011, 08:26
I start them as a horde - just to add 'fear factor' to the enemy player, but they soon condense into a tighter formation - just find the extra attacks are not worth going horde for.

They are a solid unit though - cleave through almost anything - just be careful who they match up against - especially as now they lack:

1) ASF with re-rolls (old Waaagh spell)
2) D6" extra charge to calling a Waaagh
3) Extra attack/D6" to charge O & G magic banners

So they won't be AS powerful as before - but still a REALLY solid unit that can still take common magic banner, ignore animosity, and are 1pt cheaper than before! ITP - well personally I like it as it fits their character down to a tee!

Tedurur
18-02-2011, 15:51
Thanks for all the help so far! While this might belong in the Army list section Im hoping for as much respons to my army list so I will post my newly thought up list in this thread for some comments :)

O&G 2500 Pts

Lord:
Savage Orc WarBoss (Armour of Gork(+D3 T),Great Weapon)

NG Great Shaman (Lvl 4, Talisman of Preservation) =

Hero:
Savage Orc Big Boss (BSB, Razor Standard)

Savage Orc Shaman (Lvl2, Shrunken Head)

NG Shaman (Dispel)

Core:
40xNG (3xFanatics, Full Command, Netters)

40xNG (2xFanatics, Full Command, Netters)

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders

27xSavage Orc Big Uns (Full Command, Extra Choppa, Big ass Thingy (D3 Impact hits)

Special:
2x Goblin Chariots

2x Goblin Chariots

8xTrolls

Rare:
Rock Lobba

Rock Lobba

Fire away! :)

DarkMark
18-02-2011, 16:14
Where's the BIG spider, savage boarboys, and Black orcs? Also maybe pick up the plastic warboss kit for conversions.

Don't post points cost, or you'll get into trouble quickly!

Tedurur
18-02-2011, 16:20
Oh, didnt know you couldnt post the total cost for a unit...guess Ive been spedning too much time on DakkaDakka :angel:

The Big spider will most likely be an addition to the 3k army, as for the BOs, Id rather get more trolls since I wanna do a forest/savage army.

TMATK
18-02-2011, 17:16
Looks good I think, although it's hard to tell since it's based on the new book.

I would personally not want to have a single unit of 8 trolls, I would take 2 units of 4. I know it's a lot of potential attacks, but you'll only get them if you're facing another unit with a large front. I've also had my trolls vaporized by Purple Sun on more then one occasion; I would rather not them all in one place.

Tedurur
18-02-2011, 17:20
Hmm, yeah. I see your point. I originally had them as rwo units. Didnt think about purple sun...still getting aquainted to all the rules/spells. What do you guys think of dropping the trolls and armour of gork to make room for a Anar...big ass spider as a ride for my Shaman? Something along these lines?

Lord:
Savage Orc WarBoss (Additional Choppa)

Goblin Great Shaman (Lvl 3, Iron Curse, Arachnarok, SpiderWeb shrine)

Hero:
Savage Orc Big Boss (BSB, Razor Standard)

Savage Orc Shaman (Lvl2, Shrunken Head)

NG Shaman (Dispel)

Core:

5x Spider Riders

5x Spider Riders

22xSavage Orc Big Uns (Full Command, Extra Choppa, Big ass Thingy (D3 Impact hits)

Special:

2x Goblin Chariots

2x Goblin Chariots

Rare:
Rock Lobba

Rock Lobba

6xTrolls