PDA

View Full Version : Flying Circus

Math Mathonwy
30-05-2005, 13:19
Flying Circus is a common term for a Strigoi army of certain flavour but how does it actually work? Could someone enlighten me? What is the composition and tactics and is it any good in a competitive environment? Also, is it fun/challenging?

Despite having seen quite a lot of tournament armies, I've never seen this particular army in action or even on paper, really.

Izram
30-05-2005, 15:33
The flying circus consists of 4 flying strigoi vampires, useing there high maneouverability to hit squads one after another. Because they fly you cant really flee them and when they hit you get something like 17 str5 re-rollable attacks. Even better with more bloodlines on the count.
The list also incorporates lots of small units of dire wolves and bats, denying the enemy VPs while gaining them through the concentrated power of the vampires.
The army isn't a lot of fun to play with and is a bore to play against, but it can be effective, especially against armies without magic to shoot them down.

Math Mathonwy
30-05-2005, 17:44
Could a less extreme version work? Lots of ghouls and only two thralls, for example? Maybe even a skeleton unit or something, to give the enemy something to get to grips with, as well as to help the Circus with their lessened manpower.

Frankly
31-05-2005, 04:31
I used to play a kind of flying Cirsus.

Izram has pointed out the frame work and the up side of playing it. The down side of such a list is you open yourself up to heavy shooting and magic phases, trying to murder horde amries, trying to murder other undead armies to very hard with the list.

In other words the more points you put into mobility the more fagile the list becomes.

Count
thrall
thrall
thrall

13 ghouls
13 ghouls
13 ghouls
13 ghouls

5 wolves
5 wolves
5 wolves
5 wolves
10 wolves
10 wolves

6 x knights
6 x knights
6 x knights
6 x knights

Was the basic list I would use. I could always add a caddie(by dropping a thrall) or add banishees that are very usually in a list like this. 4 x vampires all having summon ghouls is by far my favorite way of playing a strigoi list though.

IMO summon ghouls is the best bloodline power in the game.

A flying general is actually very, very handy, it keeps him very mobile and he is a REAL threat to your opponant. Giving him flight in no way means he has to get into combat asap, its just a very good all round tool for him.

Sariel
31-05-2005, 06:45
Could a less extreme version work? Lots of ghouls and only two thralls, for example? Maybe even a skeleton unit or something, to give the enemy something to get to grips with, as well as to help the Circus with their lessened manpower.

Well, yes and no.

Thing is, any Flying Circus (Strigoi or otherwise) really counts on their flyers to beat up on soft, high-point, low combat-resolution units while avoiding the rest of the army before using any surviving flyer (or other mobile units) to grab table quarters.

In the case of including cheap infantry blocks for additional warm..erm.. cold bodies, it would help against shooting and magic (ie those pesky cannon crews, Life and Heavens mages are going to have a harder time picking off your characters).

At the same time, I would strongly recommend against getting anything too expensive (ie nothing too large), and I really would'nt use them to help out your Vampires. Not skeletons or zombies, at any rate.

1) Its all about using your Count/Lord and attendant thralls to rack up enough kills to cancel out any rank/outnumber/banner bonuses an opposing unit might having. Preferably from a direction where he has no other units to support and no characters in position to call challenge, just in case you don't break him on the first turn.

With 17+ S5 attacks, you have a pretty solid chance of negating any soft combat resolution the other guy might have. Throwing skeletons (or worse, zombies) into the fray just gives your opponent the chance to rack up kills to help compensate.

2) A Flying Circus usually operates on the assumption that your opponent will NOT have a nice juicy target to aim at. Its the ultimate bully army - your small, fast, hard-hitting units gang up on enemy units that you can reliably take apart in one turn, while your opponent has to spend his time chasing after units that are worth 100 VP at most.

That being said, if you're worried about shooting/magic, minimal-sized zombie units could provide some cover for your characters (on the first turn or two, at any rate), without breaking the bank. Once the characters leave, they can just sit in a corner and contest the table quarter..

Conversely, you COULD include a very large, expensive but resilient unit to serve as bait. A single large Grave Guard unit with all the bells and whistles (full command, heavy armour, War Banner) would work nicely. It is incredibly resilient, can perform credibly in close combat, and gives your opponent something to worry about. In the meantime, the rest of your army harasses, flanks and generally make nuisances of themselves.

It would'nt really be a Flying Circus at that point, but it might increase the chances of you finding someone to play with you.

Griefbringer
31-05-2005, 14:36
I thought Flying Circus was usually associated to a Bretonnian list of certain flavour...

Sariel
31-05-2005, 15:38
I thought Flying Circus was usually associated to a Bretonnian list of certain flavour...

They started it. Guilty as charged, btw.... I still feel dirty sometimes. :p

Then came Tzeentch Daemon Legions. Guess the term transferred over to Strigoi lists of a similar flavour. Personally, I think the Strigoi and Tzeentch ones are nastier than a pure Bret Flying Circus....

Math Mathonwy
31-05-2005, 17:41
They started it. Guilty as charged, btw.... I still feel dirty sometimes. :p

Then came Tzeentch Daemon Legions. Guess the term transferred over to Strigoi lists of a similar flavour. Personally, I think the Strigoi and Tzeentch ones are nastier than a pure Bret Flying Circus....
I have seen the term used way before either Bretonnia or Soc Armybooks were released. Besides, "flying circus" refers to naming practices of circuses during the last century ("Strigoi flying circus - come one come all, witness the exciting stunts and the mindless slaughter!").

Griefbringer
01-06-2005, 14:48
Actually, I wrote two years or so ago a highly hypothetical (ie. I was never planning to put one together) 3000 point Empire army list named "Empire Flying Circus" which featured two elector counts on Griffons, several captains on pegasi, many cannons and lots of knights - though I think I forgot the Birdmen of Catrazza from that list.

Edit: of course, most commonly the term is coined with Monty Python. Would you like to have some spam with your spam?

Frankly
02-06-2005, 01:49
RAF(royal air force)= flying brets army.

niels111
04-06-2006, 17:35
Could somebody give me a good "flying circus" armylist, with the right items and units. And is it a good idea to lose some wolves and knights to put in 1 strong unit of grave guards.

niels111
04-06-2006, 17:37
And would you also use some bats? And finally is the army list good enough to take to a tournament?