PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Engineers Guild of Zhufbar, 2000 Points, for review.

Forrix
23-03-2006, 16:00
Heyho guys, the following is a list I quite fancy getting, mostly for a bit of fun but also 'cause I'm a big fan of blowing big holes in the enemy battle line:D . So, here we have 2000 points of the Engineers Guild of the Dwarf hold of Zhufbar (the principle shrine of the engineers guild). Unsurprisingly it has a sickening amount of war machines, though thats what this army is all about ok? Anyhoo, tell me your thoughts on it. As you can see I'm 13 points short and there are still some things I'm not set upon (most notably the two master runes on my general). So if you feel the list could be tweaked further while still holding fast to the ideal of 'more firepower than god' then please share your thoughts with me.

Cheers.

Engineers Guild of Zhufbar. 2000 Points

Master Engineer (Great Weapon, Brace of Pistols, Gromril Armour with Master rune of Gromril, runic horn with Master rune of Dismay): 134 pts.
(Joins Grudge Thrower)

Master Engineer (Great Weapon, brace of pistols, gromril armour with rune of stone): 89 pts.
(Joins Bolt Thrower):

Master Engineer (Great Weapon, brace of pistols, gromril armour with rune of stone): 89 pts.
(Joins Bolt Thrower):

16 Thunderers (Shields, musician, standard bearer, veteran with pair of pistols): 265 pts.

16 Thunderers (Shields, musician, standard bearer, veteran with pair of pistols): 265 pts.

Bolt Thrower (Rune of penetrating, Valiant rune): 90 pts.

Bolt Thrower (Rune of penetrating, Valiant rune, Rune of burning): 95 pts.

Cannon (Rune of forging): 125 pts.

Cannon (Rune of forging, rune of burning): 130 pts.

Grudge Thrower (Rune of penetrating, engineer with brace of pistols, rune of accuracy, valiant rune): 170 pts.

Gyrocopter: 140 pts.

Malakai Makkaisons goblin hewer: 130 pts.

Total= 1987 Points.

Borthcollective
23-03-2006, 16:11
I'd take the runes off those bolt throwers and double up on them.

Forrix
23-03-2006, 16:48
do you mean take 2 more bolt throwers instead of 45-50 pts of runes??

As far as I know, no army at 2000 points can have 5 special choices...
interesting idea though.;)

foehammer888
23-03-2006, 17:06
No offense, but if you set out to create a list that is incredibly boring to play with and against, you took first prize. Basically, all you are going to do is sit there, roll dice and guess ranges for the entire game. That said, here are a few problems I see.

Master Engineer (Great Weapon, Brace of Pistols, Gromril Armour with Master rune of Gromril, runic horn with Master rune of Dismay): 134 pts.
(Joins Grudge Thrower)

(Joins Bolt Thrower):

(Joins Bolt Thrower): First, why the great weapon and the pistols? Both are close combat oriented. Second, spending 180 points on engineers to get BS5 bolt throwers when you could just spend 30 and get BS4 seems more than a little off. Stick them with the cannons. Lastly, as you have no runesmiths, magic is going to pummel you, which could be bad for your gunline if your opponent has movement spells.

16 Thunderers (Shields, musician, standard bearer, veteran with pair of pistols): 265 pts. As for your core choices, you have absolutely nothing to stop enemy close combat units. Even with this much firepower, you will not stop everything. All it takes is one cavalry unit hitting your ranks and it's all over. Also, as your army is only engineers, missile troops and artillery, you have extremely few numbers.

Bolt Thrower (Rune of penetrating, Valiant rune): 90 pts.

Bolt Thrower (Rune of penetrating, Valiant rune, Rune of burning): 95 pts. Bolt throwers are cheap, don't make them expensive with runes. Engineer upgrades would be good. You have enough cannons to not require runes of penetrating.

Cannon (Rune of forging): 125 pts.

Cannon (Rune of forging, rune of burning): 130 pts. A staple.

Grudge Thrower (Rune of penetrating, engineer with brace of pistols, rune of accuracy, valiant rune): 170 pts. You're spending an aweful lot of points on runes. Also drop the engineer from this, it doesn't give you that much of a benefit.

Overall, I would suggest some magic defense and something to stop close combat units. Either a warrior unit, some slayers, a slayer character, something. Also, why does "engineers guild" always translate to "tons of guns." Do they not create other things than guns? Giant Steam juggernaughts (use "counts as" with lords and thanes tooled up with runes) anti-magic contraptions (carried by "counts as" runesmiths). Add some creativity.

Foehammer

xmbk
23-03-2006, 17:06
I like it. Looks like fun (for you at least ;) People around here seem to prefer losing in HtH instead of being shot to death, but I don't see the difference.

I've had success with the MR of Challenge on a ME with MR Gromril, sitting on a Valiant machine. Once tied up a unit of Grail Knights for turns 4, 5, & 6, while the rest of my army fired away. I really like the Rune of Reloading on the GT - def worth the 10 points, you don't have to decide whether to reroll a 2 or 3 and take a chance on a 1 coming up.

xmbk
23-03-2006, 17:17
No offense, but if you set out to create a list that is incredibly boring to play with and against, you took first prize. Basically, all you are going to do is sit there, roll dice and guess ranges for the entire game.

Why do people discount the strategy of a shooting game? I've been playing for a long time, and I see more strategy and tactics in shooting than CC - target priority, movement, etc. I can certainly accept that different people have different tastes, but discounting the shooty army as dumb and boring doesn't seem right.

Second, spending 180 points on engineers to get BS5 bolt throwers when you could just spend 30 and get BS4 seems more than a little off. Stick them with the cannons. Lastly, as you have no runesmiths, magic is going to pummel you, which could be bad for your gunline if your opponent has movement spells.

Definitely agree here, but I was under the opinion that you like the way this army plays. The ME is most useful on a GT, and least point-efficient on a BT. And having used an army list like this, I can definitely say that you can shoot enough to make your troops stand up to what reaches you. Some magic will give you trouble though.

Borthcollective
23-03-2006, 17:48
do you mean take 2 more bolt throwers instead of 45-50 pts of runes??

As far as I know, no army at 2000 points can have 5 special choices...
interesting idea though.;)

You can take 2 bolt throwers as 1 special choice.

Krootman
23-03-2006, 18:52
the first guy sumed it up. 2 ,many points in runes take a warrior block with a oath stone and make them immune to phych so they dont break they should be able to hold people up for a while. I dont rly think its cheeze (then again i play all skrimish, faast calv we army). You will do a lot of damage to people but if a few units do get into combat its over. When u play a few games with them let me know how u do with it, as i have never really seen a game of gun line (dwarfs or empire for that matter)