PDA

View Full Version : After reading Jind_Singh's "Rise Of A Space Marine" thread...

HRM
19-02-2011, 17:28
... I've decided, "Forget the haters, I'm gonna collect Marines."

I've never played 40K. I know nothing about the background, really, just bits and pieces. I have played Fantasy (in 5th and a little bit of 6th Editions) and currently collect Rohan in WOTR, but never 40K. But I've always been interested in it, and specifically Marines.

Why? Primarily, the Dreadnaught models. Love, LOVE, LOVE Dreadnaughts. And I've always kinda liked the "pious warrior" mentality of them, as well as the nice, clean lines of the model range, and the bold, striking paint schemes. Yet I could never bring myself to get into the game, as I didn't want to be "yet another ***ing Marine player".

Well, to heck with it. I'm going to buy the 40K rulebook, Codex: Space Marines and a Tactical Squad and get going. I even have an idea in mind for my own home-brew Chapter: The Templars Invictus, based on the Knights Templar that defended Jerusalem during the Crusades. I've been wondering how Marines with Empire Knightly Order shields would look - you know, the ones with the "cross" logo?

So, thanks to Jind_Singh for the inspiration! Time to get to work...

Lowmans
19-02-2011, 17:42
Whatever you do, don't stray into warhammer general.... If you read Brother Jinds greenskin thread you'll have Orcs and Gobbos too! :)

HRM
19-02-2011, 18:26
Whatever you do, don't stray into warhammer general.... If you read Brother Jinds greenskin thread you'll have Orcs and Gobbos too! :)

I don't like the color green that much. ;)

Angelust
19-02-2011, 19:00
Good news, HRM. When I got into 40k a few years back, the outspoken elitists in the gaming club immediately recommended that I not pick up yet another Marine army, and instead choose something "unique", i.e. Sisters of Battle, Kroot Mercs, Dark Eldar, or some other minority army. Choosing Blood Angels on the basis of fluff, marine aesthetics, and current model range was a decision I don't regret, even when Blood Angel players came flooding back after the new codex dropped.

The only army I do regret was picking up Eldar later because nobody played them around my store. I realized that collecting an army to satisfy others was really a waste of money and time, and I never painted anything or enjoyed the army.

HRM
19-02-2011, 20:35
Good news, HRM. When I got into 40k a few years back, the outspoken elitists in the gaming club immediately recommended that I not pick up yet another Marine army, and instead choose something "unique", i.e. Sisters of Battle, Kroot Mercs, Dark Eldar, or some other minority army. Choosing Blood Angels on the basis of fluff, marine aesthetics, and current model range was a decision I don't regret, even when Blood Angel players came flooding back after the new codex dropped.

The only army I do regret was picking up Eldar later because nobody played them around my store. I realized that collecting an army to satisfy others was really a waste of money and time, and I never painted anything or enjoyed the army.

Sisters Of Battle actually DO look kinda cool. Sadly, no Dreadnaughts.

I really, REALLY like Dreadnaughts.

Aedes
19-02-2011, 20:48
I really, REALLY like Dreadnaughts.
You should do a Blood Angels successor army then.
LOTS and lots of Dreads.

Challenge Accepted
19-02-2011, 21:19
I realized that collecting an army to satisfy others was really a waste of money and time, and I never painted anything or enjoyed the army.

Very well said.

Don't allow the jaded masses of Warseer, or this hobby in general, to influence the army that you play. You'll only regret it in the end, and be out a load of cash.

HRM
19-02-2011, 22:03
You should do a Blood Angels successor army then.
LOTS and lots of Dreads.

I actually have an idea for how I want my army to look and operate, BESIDES Dreads, haha, and I think the first thing I need to figure out (besides color scheme) is which of the original Chapters they would best be suited to succeed from, based on established 40K background (which I know next to nothing about).

I think I might start a thread in the Background forum later tonight, asking advice.

Challenge Accepted
20-02-2011, 00:59
I actually have an idea for how I want my army to look and operate, BESIDES Dreads, haha, and I think the first thing I need to figure out (besides color scheme) is which of the original Chapters they would best be suited to succeed from, based on established 40K background (which I know next to nothing about).

I think I might start a thread in the Background forum later tonight, asking advice.

Based on your love of Dreadnoughts, I'd suggest an Iron Hands (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iron_Hands) successor.

Many people use the Space Wolf codex to represent them, but I think you could pull it off well with C:SM.

HRM
20-02-2011, 01:15
Based on your love of Dreadnoughts, I'd suggest an Iron Hands (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iron_Hands) successor.

Many people use the Space Wolf codex to represent them, but I think you could pull it off well with C:SM.

I do intend for them to be generic Marines, in game terms, yeah... I dunno about all the bionic stuff in that Iron Hands link - though, I DO like how they're described as "brutal and straightforward".

I'm off to post my info request thread now; thanks for the input, man!

Firmlog
20-02-2011, 02:05
If you are planning a knightly theme, check out Scibor. They have heads you can by separately that should fit marines. They have an assortment of heads, but I'm pretty sure I saw a batch of "knight" helmets, as well as spartan and the like. They also have shields that could work as Templar, but I think they would be too big for decorative, but may be nice on models equipped with storm shields.

Nope I was wrong, they have small decorative shields, shoulder pads, helmets and large shields. Just look under conversion parts. I'd link the pics, but that takes you directly to the store, and I think that's frowned upon.

destroyerlord
20-02-2011, 02:28
If you are after a knight theme, be sure to check out the Black Templar plastic kit. Its full of parts for regular marines that have lots of extra detail on them, including shields, crosses etc.
Black Templars (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1400013&prodId=prod1060205)

riotknight
20-02-2011, 02:50
If you are after a knight theme, be sure to check out the Black Templar plastic kit. Its full of parts for regular marines that have lots of extra detail on them, including shields, crosses etc.
Black Templars (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1400013&prodId=prod1060205)

Actually, the BT + Death Company Kits get some -really- awesome looking conversions....

Optimus Anakin
20-02-2011, 04:01
I wonder if you should get the BA codex with a BT colour scheme. I believe the BT seem like the most Knights Templar but with the rules for BA since they can use more Dreads than any other army I think.

Shamana
20-02-2011, 06:14
For knightly marines, somehow Black Templars don't quite do it for me - it's like they are trying too hard. Dark Angels, on the other hand, can be quite fun with all the robes, and some of their minis can be great for the aethetic the OP is going for. The standard bearer and the company master seem quite impressive imo.

Jind_Singh
20-02-2011, 06:46
Ah HRM - just came back from Superstore after grocery shopping with the wife (and told I couldn't get my ice cream this week as it's not on sale :( ), so was looking to cheer myself up - and couldn't have gotten a better boost than seeing this thread! :D

Thank you very much for the kind compliment - it's our hobby and it's entirely in our hands how we go about collecting & gaming.

Contrary to popular belief I do play to win - any game it's nice to win - but HOW I win and what lengths I will go for that win are very important.

If you are liking the models, you love the fluff, and you think you'll have a blast doing it...do it!

I know this awesome Imperial Fist player (ye gods - his army is Golden Daemon standards!) who takes the strangest army lists/options - Deathwind launchers for drop pods, hurricane bolters & chainfist on his Ironclad because it looks epic, 10 man Stergaurd squad, Techmarine on a bike, Tactical Marines on foot, the list is endless!

But at the end of the day he is passionate about collecting, loves to paint, and LOVES to game - he won't win as many games as a 'standard marine player' would, but he gives his opponents hell and really takes the fight to them.

What I found was after a while others start to pick up on the vibe and join in - if you can enjoy yourselves and have fun doing it - why not?!

But having said all of the above the night is painful for me as in addition to no ice cream I am painting on the green trim on the shoulder pads of my Marines to show their allegiance to the Forth Battle Company - and it's a pain! Your almost at the end of the pad when a small lapse means I have to go back to touch up all the pads with blue paint! So finicky!

But welcome to the Brotherhood - I suggest you sequester yourself in the bowels of the Marine Battle Barge and consult our sacred Codex Astartes and see which play style coincides with the models you love!

As for Dreadnoughts - none better than the Ironclad model for me, though the Angels did arouse my curiosity with their new kit - but for me it's Codex Marines - I love the Venerable, Ironclad, and generic Dread - so much so I'm expanding my collection from 4 to 6 so I can field as many of them as possible! Maybe all in drop pods!

Jind_Singh
20-02-2011, 07:24
PS - I seriously recommend grabbing Assualt on Black Reach as your initial purchase!

Rule Book & templates

10 Tactical Marines
Dreadnought
Terminators
Captain

You can't go wrong and there will always be a ton of people willing to pay around $35-40 for your Orks!

Or ask them to purchase a Space Marine codex of your choice for trade!

HRM
20-02-2011, 10:48
PS - I seriously recommend grabbing Assualt on Black Reach as your initial purchase!

Rule Book & templates

10 Tactical Marines
Dreadnought
Terminators
Captain

You can't go wrong and there will always be a ton of people willing to pay around $35-40 for your Orks!

Or ask them to purchase a Space Marine codex of your choice for trade!

Actually the first thing I'm gonna buy is that lil' box of three Tactical Marines - y'know, the ones that snap together? I wanna try out a few color schemes. The Knights Templar ran a mostly off-white and red theme... Gonna try a few variations on that. The Black Reach thing... I have a bit of OCD in that I REFUSE to buy things I don't want (in this case Terminators aren't on my radar), plus money is tight for a few weeks still until my wife is off EI.

I did have a look at the Dark Angels and Black Templars stuff, and indeed I think I will be looking at a few of their conversion packs and characters to represent my Sergeants and what have you. Thanks, all, for the input... I appreciate it! I oughta start a log on this project...

PS: Gotta love Superstore; you know you're Canadian when, eh...?

jason_sation
20-02-2011, 15:43
Haha. I never had an interest in Space Marines really until I saw a picture of a Crimson Fist painted Dreadnought. There was something about the striking solid blue and red that make feel like I was looking at a very solid and tough unit. I still haven't yet started my SM army, but would love to have it filled with Dreadnoughts dropping out of the sky in Drop Pods and destroying huge blocks of an enemies army.

Jind_Singh
20-02-2011, 15:51
Well maybe do some pre-sales? Get someone to confirm the purchase of the Orks & Terminators from the AOBR box so down the road when you grab it you know you'll get 'x' dollars in selling off the unwanted stuff. One way of doing this is when your closer to grabbing your purchase put up a listing on Craigslist to see what interest you generate.

That small box of 3 is awesome, even better is going in and asking for painting lesson at GW and get a demo marine! :D

There is also that paint set which has like 4-6 paints in it, a brush, and 5 tactical marines - true they have Ultramarine Symbols on them but with the quick scrape of a knife they quickly become standard marines!

Demo figs for the win!

HRM
20-02-2011, 17:35
Yeah, I just got back with the Codex, the "Box O' Three" and they even threw in a free Tactical Marine figure and a Small Drybrush. I need to start taking photos so I can track my progress!