PDA

View Full Version : Lore of Shadow - Lore attribute

leeharris13
21-02-2011, 04:25
The lore attribute says you can swap places with a charcter of same unit type within 18".

I am running a Hero on disc 50mm base. I also run a sorc on a disc 50mm base, same unit type, these obviously could swap with the attribute. However I also run a lord on a dragon 50mm base size. All 3 of these are charcters on flying mounts with 50mm bases so are they the same unit types?

tmarichards
21-02-2011, 04:33
There's more to unit type than base size, the bestiary is the place to check if you're not sure on unit types.

Discs are war beasts, a dragon is a monster.

So, no.

sulla
21-02-2011, 04:42
Only one of those characters is on a monster mount. Thus, he can't swap with any of the others.

Haravikk
21-02-2011, 16:54
Same with Demon Princes, I was looking forward to Be'Lakor teleporting about :D

Lord Inquisitor
21-02-2011, 17:14
Note that the base size is not the criteria. So your sorcerer on a disc is actually cavalry. He could swap with another character on a chaos steed, even though the base sizes are different.

Troop types starts on page 80 in the rulebook. The summary in the back of the book tells you what troop type each of the existing WoC units is. Note that war beast + rider = cavalry.

T10
22-02-2011, 07:16
There are no restrictions except for the fact that the character that is swapped out needs to be a character and needs to be of the same troop type as the caster. Fortunately, the caster will usually be a character too, but that's not really guaranteed.

As has been pointed out previously in this forum, the Smoke & Mirrors lore attribute appears to allow you to break a helluva lot of restrictions that normally apply to characters joining units.

In my opinion, you should refrain from swapping models if either of them would normally be restricted from leaving their current unit or from joining the "target" unit. If a character (be it the caster or the other guy) joins or leaves a unit by means of this lore attribute, treat this as if the character joined or left in the normal manner: There are rules for where characters that join a unit are placed in that unit, so why not follow them in this case where the character is joining a unit?

But hey, this is just my opinion.

-T10

BlackPawl
24-02-2011, 14:01
I think the same. With the spell skitterleap from the skaven lore you have the permission to leave a combat, but with shadow I do not see this permission to leave or to join a unit which is in combat or switch place with someone in a challange.