PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Eye of Tzeentch and Miscast (Losing Spells)

Quinn
21-02-2011, 20:12
I played Genghis Con this past weekend and had the following happen:

I was using a level 4 Sorcerer of Tzeentch with 3rd Eye of Tzeentch (allows you to use your opponents spells) and was playing against a LM player. I used the 3rd Eye to cast Throne of Vines and IF'ed it. The miscast was Power Drain and I lost 3 levels and 'forgot' 3 spells. According to the rules I 'forgot' ToV of course and that's where we got a bit confused on which other 2 spells I should lose.

1. Do you lose the spells from the lore you have 'borrowed' for that round?
2. Do you lose the spells from your parent lore?
3. Do you lose the spells from both the parent lore and the one you borrowed?
All of the above randomly determined of course.

My opponent and I decided to use #3, but it seems to me that #1 would have been more appropriate since you can only use one lore per magic phase per the rules for 3rd Eye.

Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the solution?

logan054
21-02-2011, 20:40
Actually its none of those (unless you rolled a 1), you resolve the spell effect before the miscate, so because you caste Throne of Vines its ignored on a 2+ anyways. If your rolled a one how can you lose any spells? does it say you lose a random spell? no, it says you lose the spell caste. Again it says nothing to suggest you opponent would lose any spells. End of magic phase the slate wiped clean, your no longer a life wizard and next turn you just use 3rd eye to learn the spells again.

TMATK
21-02-2011, 21:31
I would say 2, assuming you fluffed the roll to prevent the miscast from ToV. Since you didn't cast a spell from your own lore, you would randomize all 3 of them.

Quinn
21-02-2011, 21:36
Just to clarify, I did roll a one.

logan054
21-02-2011, 23:29
I don't see why you would use spells from your parent lore, they are effectively replaced for the phase.

TMATK
21-02-2011, 23:54
I don't see why you would use spells from your parent lore, they are effectively replaced for the phase.

It doesn't seem reasonable, to me, that 3rd eye would let you completely avoid the results of power drain. You lose levels, so you lose spells that you know.

logan054
22-02-2011, 00:11
I actually didn't have the chart open at the time so was just going on what was written, as its written he forgets the spell he used + another two (as he rolled 3), it dosn't allow you to completely avoid the result of power drain. He is now a lvl1 sorcerer that knows two spells.

TMATK
22-02-2011, 00:21
I actually didn't have the chart open at the time so was just going on what was written, as its written he forgets the spell he used + another two (as he rolled 3), it dosn't allow you to completely avoid the result of power drain. He is now a lvl1 sorcerer that knows two spells.

Well I suppose that might be "raw" but it doesn't feel to fair to me that it lets the wizard avoid losing even one of his spells. I wouldn't play it that way.

It's definitely a situation that the rules don't cover. A fair solution might be lose 2 random spells, and you can't cast that stolen spell again.

logan054
22-02-2011, 00:25
Personally I would play it as either losing 3 spells or not being able to caste the stolen spell unless my opponent was annoying me, then Captain "Raw" to the rescue ;)

theunwantedbeing
22-02-2011, 00:28
Randomise between all spells known, the first being the one you just miscast attempting.

Third eye makes you know extra spells.
So these are counted towards with the randomisation process to see which other 0-2 spells you lose in addition to the first.

So #3 is indeed the correct way to go.