PDA

View Full Version : Codex Archaeology - Dark Eldar Tormentors

Master_Exploder
22-02-2011, 06:49
In rereading the DE codex for the hundredth time I noticed that the Incubi entry went into quite a lot of detail about the Tormentors, an item that isn't even represented in the unit's rules. This got me thinking that at some point there probably were rules for them that were removed due to being overly effective or unbalancing the unit. Based on the description and the unit's major shortcoming I'm betting tormentors were in there to give the Incubi assault grenades and it made them a little too powerful for their cost (or reflecting it in their points would have made them cost restrictive).

With that, it got me thinking - what other rules may have been removed or changed that there are still hints at? Any overly-specific or unmatching descriptions a codex that seems oddly unrepresented in the rules?

Poseidal
22-02-2011, 08:09
It was probably consolidated into their statline.

All it did was give them one more attack before, and on becoming 'Incubi only' (ie not available to Archons or other characters) there was no point in having an entry for a piece of wargear that basically said +1A when only one unit used it.

Lord Damocles
22-02-2011, 09:25
Pariahs 'blot out psychic emanations...'. Except they don't :shifty:

Dark Aly
22-02-2011, 09:35
The tormentor helm was essentially the same as the striking scorpions mandi-blasters.

Chem-Dog
22-02-2011, 09:41
Based on the description and the unit's major shortcoming I'm betting tormentors were in there to give the Incubi assault grenades and it made them a little too powerful for their cost (or reflecting it in their points would have made them cost restrictive).

I don't follow the logic here, if the perk was that good it would be worth the points or not, I can't honestly imagine a scenario when the choice of wether to include a specific ability or not would be decided on the points that a unit costs with or without it, especially not with a unit that's essentially rebuilt from the ground up.

My own pet theory isn't much better though, I simply thought that the tormentors are mentioned purely because the models had already been sculpted and they had to explain the big gem the Incubi each wear.

Hellebore
22-02-2011, 09:45
The executioner pistol on the eversor assassin is a combi needle pistol/bolter but the new rules change it to be some kind of poisoned hyper bolt pistol. Despite the model still clearly carrying a combi-needler....

The DE codex has a few artifacts, there are several FAQs that explain rules in the DE codex that only existed in 4th ed...

Hellebore

Chem-Dog
22-02-2011, 09:51
The executioner pistol on the eversor assassin is a combi needle pistol/bolter but the new rules change it to be some kind of poisoned hyper bolt pistol. Despite the model still clearly carrying a combi-needler....

Noes! The pointy bit under the muzzle of the pistol is part of the Eversor's Targetting Array, always has been :shifty: :D

Nothing to say Assassins won't get a new model at some juncture though.

Godzooky
22-02-2011, 10:40
They are called tormentor helms, because the lack of them torments people. :)

Thanatos_elNyx
22-02-2011, 14:07
Are the new Incubi +1A over old Incubi?

If so, that is where the Tormentor Helm has gone.

Poseidal
22-02-2011, 14:10
Yes, they are.

It's probably a simplification since before other models (Archon) could take it so it had a wargear entry, but now it's Incubi only so there wasn't any point in having wargear for +1A if it just went on a single unit.