PDA

View Full Version : The Emperor A-Z

Pages : [1] 2

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 22:05
EDIT: Page 16 is updated with pics of the finished model.

Hi all you fellow Warseers!

Some time ago (in November or something like this) I finally got a commission for the Emperor himself.

Now the client is a well-known, nice guy, for whom I've been doing lots of marines since spring 2005. He is a bit picky though and we agreed that for this project he can rise to the peak of his picky-ness. Which he did, of course.

I'm a bit torn, because I like to present the final model to the public and bathe in awes (well, that's how I imagine it making the model), but the very nature of this commission is that I just have to show and consult every two steps I make. And go backwards and anew if needed.

Now I'm jumping on modelling again after a 3 month break to finish my degree, so I thought this will be a good project to share.

All your comments will have minimal impact on the model as it's the client who rules these things here. However, I'd like to hear your opinions and it's quite likely I'll follow any idea that sounds good.

BTW, my degree still needs finishing.

Crube
23-03-2006, 22:07
Sounds a tricky prospect..any chance of picures yet, or have you not started yet...?

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 22:10
First we discussed the pose. The Emperor was to be standing on a rock. Great. So I drew a few sketches:

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 22:19
After some heated debate and e-mails flying half of the world several times an hour, we had a few conceptions, based on modifying the basic sketches. Of the first sketch the last pose was chosen, with a few modifications as shown below.

You can see the options we considered before we chose something like the last one: standing on a rock (yay!) and watching the battlefield (or as I prefer to think about it, admiring the sunset)

Basically, leaning slightly to the left leg, resting his gauntlet on the knee, and holding the sword dramatically flaming level in a dramatically posed arm.

Some guy (UK)
23-03-2006, 22:26
I dont like the last two sketches personally, as he looks like he's scratching himself, well.... down there :p . Not the last one so much though. I would go for one of the first three personally:)

Later, Some guy (UK)

Deadite
23-03-2006, 22:27
Sent you a pm.

This should be an interesting project. Subscribed. :D

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 22:36
This all concluded in the basic frame for the model, made of modelline and boiled. I then made the face, which was to look like on the first pic (Horus Heresy book vol.? art).

What I finished with was likened to Louis de Funes around the Studio and although quite good for a generic face, not close enough. Which both the client and I agreed upon.

I then proceeded making the second face, trying to emphasise some aspects of the face on the pic. BTW, it showed clearly the pictured face is totally unanatomical. Wider than it's high and with extremely low forehead. It's totally beyond my grasp how's it manages to look so good at the same time in 2D. 3D is another story. Trying to stay in the human anatomy and not to step into alien forms, I tried to make something as close as I could.

Faces are not what I sculpt best.

After this was done, I took the vacation from fun stuff and digged into writing 100+ pages scientific stuff and visiting library way too often for the books far too uninteresting for my taste.

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 22:38
I dont like the last two sketches personally, as he looks like he's scratching himself, well.... down there :p . Not the last one so much though. I would go for one of the first three personally:)

Yeah, that's why I kept steering subconsciously in the direction of the knee rather than groin.

BTW, this is the pic I'm basing the details and scale on, plus the Emperor vs Horus poster on my wall.

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 23:03
After nearly 3 months of hobby inactivity, I returned!

To do what? A 1500pts Adeptus Mechanicus IG army.

Had to work myself back in, and as I planned these to be "Adept" level, I was certain I will manage both sculpting and painting.

This is my first playable army for 3 or 4 years.

Basics checked, I started finishing some other projects I had postponed, to get the hang of "Master" level again before I move to the only-once-before-touched-by-me "Showcase" level the Emperor was to be on.

Then 3 days ago I felt sudden urge to do something to the funny grey-and-cream dolly I had laying in the case.

So I broke open the digi-psy-locks on my proffessional MIWO case (Minis I Work On) in the form of the yellow 100 tea-bag Lipton metal case and I brought His Most Holy Person in the form of the funny grey-and-cream dolly to the dim light of winter morning. Or maybe the sun shone bright? Nevermind.

I made another face, based on the "Louis de Funes" again, but with a few modifications. I made the rock for the base of crudely-broken (for the rock texture) modelline, baked it for extra-hardiness and filled the gaps with another modelline and baked it again.

I also started working on the armour.
It looked like this on Tuesday, 21.03.2006 morning:
(note the pics are 4 times bigger than life: to see the actual size of the mini watch them at 25%. Thanks Michal for great quality photos!)

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 23:18
The client wanted right foot to be turned slightly out, the fist to be closer to the body and the palm of the fist to face down, the face was a bit too oriental, like Asian, for his tastes, and the right arm should be slightly lower. Plus both his feet should stand firmly on the ground. Have I missed anything? He wanted to see the face with hair.

That's it?

Great!

I can do it!

Can I?

After 2 days of 8+ hours sculpting the Above Mentioned Model (I don't recall what hit me in the head, but it must have been something really blunt and heavy), I get to a stage where I needed to take some pics for fear that if I go any further, corrections will be too hard to do.

I learned a new technique before on the thighs armour, and I learned another at this stage, which allowed me to make the detail on it. Then I borrowed a technique from a person whose way of sculpting I generally find annoying, but turned useful for limited uses - casting and sculpting and then glueing the set greenstuff on the model. It looks bad (IMO) for large objects, as they're not following the shape of the model, but I found it useful for the belt and gems on the loincloth.

Here's how he looks now and will look until I get a reply from the client:
Again, remember these are 4-ups, so all mistakes are dramatically exaggerated.

The Dragon Reborn
23-03-2006, 23:22
i really like the pose, except.... i dont like the fact that he is on his tippetoes, it looks odd, and kind of girlish

Anvils Hammer
23-03-2006, 23:26
I think you forgot to upload the photos, or my comp is playing up. edit- there they are.

your client is picky, but I gess your client is paying you enough money to cover his pickness.

Hes coming along nicly, way way above my skill level, what tools do you skulpt with, and how do you get the armour so smooth?

the only thing I dont like about it is the pose, the power claw arm just doesnt look quite right. somthing that heavy would either be resting on his knee/by his side, or swinging in a punch, which it isnt because the model is static.

EDIT- comments on the recent photos.

looking very nice, the fist looks a little more natural now.
on the skulpting front, I doubt the emperor would have a normal power sword, a sword with flames would be more apropriate, but you may well be planning that :)
I think you over use those little circle indents, I see them on all your models.
the detail sculpting is stunning though.

good luck, and keep us updated.

cheers.

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 23:26
i really like the pose, except.... i dont like the fact that he is on his tippetoes, it looks odd, and kind of girlish

I suppose the same occured to the client when he wanted the mini to stand on full feet.

Hortwerth
23-03-2006, 23:39
I think you forgot to upload the photos, or my comp is playing up.

They should be here now.

your client is picky, but I gess your client is paying you enough money to cover his pickness..

I guess so. Enough for Polish standards, that is. Not that I'm cheap...

Hes coming along nicly, way way above my skill level, what tools do you skulpt with, and how do you get the armour so smooth?

I use standard GW tool, and 3 tools of my own mad devising: a broken thick pincet half, set in a pen grip and dremel-filed for round and smooth one side+corner, and two 0,8mm pins set in broken paintbrush woods: one filed to that it's round at the end, and the other so that it's flat with extremely thin edge. one corner 90deg and the other round. Plus scalpel and paintbrush, and acetone (doesn't work as well as I hoped, but the thigh armour is slighly smoother than it would be thanks to it and the brush)

the only thing I dont like about it is the pose, the power claw arm just doesnt look quite right. somthing that heavy would either be resting on his knee/by his side, or swinging in a punch, which it isnt because the model is static.

It's resting on the pointy part of the kneepad on the photos, but I bent, cut and filed both a bit so that it's closer to the leg now.

EDIT:
EDIT- comments on the recent photos.

looking very nice, the fist looks a little more natural now.
on the skulpting front, I doubt the emperor would have a normal power sword, a sword with flames would be more apropriate, but you may well be planning that
I think you over use those little circle indents, I see them on all your models.
the detail sculpting is stunning though.

The sword will certainly be sporting some fancy flames, but I need to get a right swordey shape before I go dancing on its hot edge. Check the Emperor vs Horus pic, there are power cables on the sword. I base on this.
The circles - well, they're easy to do and add detail considerably, and when painted look just like nites.

good luck, and keep us updated.

cheers.

Thanks. Don't hope for often updates. I must be in a perfect mood for this model lest I bodge it...
Anyways, I'm getting back to the Studio from Monday, so will be near the camera every day. I hope someone will be nice enough to take a few pics of the Emperor every day there's some progress.

Hortwerth
24-03-2006, 01:37
Ok, I present you the kind pickyness of the client:
I had to disable smileys as there were over 10 pictures in the message. Can you imagine?!?
I edited the most apparent grammar mistakes for easier reading.

(these are my comments)

I am in AWE!!!

The emperor looks awesome :) I do not know which part to tell you i am happy with, too many of them :) I like the eagles, the face on the armor, the eagle holding the shield and so on :)

However I do have some concerns as always :)

For the face can you try to bring it closer :) You have made it very close I should say, but i think with the mouth, and the chin modified a
bit, it will look more closer. The reason I like this pic of the emperor compared to the rest is because it makes him look younger and fierce or stern. And I agree on what you say on how to modify the mouth, that was what i am thinking :)

(I said to raise it a bit)

For the eyes and nose, I leave it to you to decide :)

(I said I'll try to shave a bit of material on the sides of the nose and upper-outer corners of the eyes)

For the right arm (holding sword), can you to change it to look like the sketch? With the whole arm straight and pointing downwards.

I like to ask for the Upper Armor, is it all done already? Like for the stomach and the side? The upper armor look a bit skinny, can you
make it more robust? The arms and legs armor are ok :)

Oh for the left arm, what I mean is for it to be close to the body, so it looks like resting on the leg, but after seeing the pic, it looks
good :) But I'm not sure, I shall leave that to you to see if there is any change needed to bring the arm closer to the leg. Or does it already look good with that pose, I shall let you be the judge for this.

The left power amour has nice details, I like to ask do you have Horus Heresy vol:1? I think from the pic of the emperor with his power fist, there are some "things" that stick out at the back of the power fist, can you check that out?

(I hoped he missed it, these are damned eagles the size of a pin head)

I am very happy with this emperor. It's fantastic!

Thanks a lot! I did not look for the wrong sculptor to build this model :)

(That's nice and reassuring)

After looking for the pics you send for an hour or so, I notice there is some difference between the sculpt and the pic of the emperor, I have attached the picture i scanned from book and have the difference circled in white.

Can you check them out?

The belt and neck armor, I have it circled because of the size difference. The stomach is mainly because of the armor and some ropes
i think which you will add in later right? And if you look under the belt, there is this "scale" armor.

Let me know what you think.

I forgot to mention in the last email, for the cheek, I remember you mention that the emperor in the book has high cheek bone right?

I like to let you know that the cheek bone you have for this emperor look good, but it's be bit different from the pic, thus I have request for you to modify it to have it look more closely, and I forgot to ask is it possible to do so at this stage? And will it look nice on the emperor?

All in all, not that bad. Extremely good I should say. No stepping back, just some corrections.

Yay!

Ziljin
24-03-2006, 02:09
this is very interesting. Can't wait till its finished.

New Cult King
24-03-2006, 04:11
Damn, he is picky. You are doing great though. It looks awesome to me! :D

Hortwerth
24-03-2006, 08:53
Damn, he is picky. You are doing great though. It looks awesome to me! :D

This is actually the first e-mail in which he lists what he likes, and expresses his feelings, and it's only because I specifically asked for some clapping my shoulder when I sent him the pics. :)

Usually his highest praise is:

I like it. However, ...

Mojaco
24-03-2006, 08:58
Thisis going to be a very cool mini... Are you painting it too or is the client? If it's the client, is he any good?

Hortwerth
24-03-2006, 09:01
Thisis going to be a very cool mini... Are you painting it too or is the client? If it's the client, is he any good?

Maybe I should explain it more in the first post, but the A-Z means its from sculpting to painting.

All in all, should take me around half of the year including the vacation I had.

NEWS!

Client asked me if I wanted to make Horus or Sanguinus next.

...sweet!

Red Skullz
25-03-2006, 07:07
It looks incredible! I mean WOW..you got some serious skills.
But how big is he compared to a normal marine? I can imagine he`s slightly larger than the avarage.

Btw, ya gotta do Horus next ;)

Hortwerth
25-03-2006, 07:40
It looks incredible! I mean WOW..you got some serious skills.
But how big is he compared to a normal marine? I can imagine he`s slightly larger than the avarage.

Btw, ya gotta do Horus next ;)

When I put an Emperor's Champion model next to him so that the lower Emperor's foot is at the same level that his Champion's feet are, the top of the Champion's head is at the height of the head of the Emperor's chest eagle.

Do you imagine such a large Terminator armour sculpted from scratch? I'm starting to :D

Hortwerth
27-03-2006, 21:49
Ok, so a minor update.

I resculpted the belly armour, and scratched the face with a tip of a scalpel blade. It was a real surgical-precision operation. I made the eyes less oriental, I shaved the nose sides, changed the lips slightly and raised his cheek bones. I'm getting closer to the artwork!

I also finally did something to the feet - and it turned out the ballerina pointy-boots were what made the model look weird.
I will make the boots eves a bit wider at sides, and will add a slightly wider sole, but I have to snip fim off the rock to do this.

I also made another sword - to make the eagle wings /\/\-shaped, add and eagle head (though I don't know if the effect is what the client had in mind). I also made the longer cable more S-shaped, as that's what client insisted.

I also made the pommel (the grip?) with a different pattern.

Changed the position of the arms slightly.

I also started figuring out how the shoulderpads will look. The left is no problem, but the right is obscured on all pics and on the CCG pics is of totally different style and looks... yuck.

I also sculpted the belt eagle today, but it was too fresh to take pics of today.

In the meantime I continued work on a Chaos Terminator Lord and made two test-models for the client's brother.

All in all, a good week start.

Hortwerth
27-03-2006, 21:54
Here is the new sword, my sketch of the shoulderpads and totally unrelated test-scheme subjects; note that the sgt is in NMM and normal marine is in metallics.

tzeentchgiant
27-03-2006, 22:11
I'm sigging this thread Hortwerth (the first "l" of will), because it is so cool, but I would really love to put some finished pictures of the emperor in there some time, any projected finishing date?

Loving the progress, keep it up :).

TG

Hortwerth
27-03-2006, 22:31
I'm sigging this thread Hortwerth (the first "l" of will), because it is so cool,

:) How the hell anyone is going to find it there as a small vertical line?!? Last time I tried digging your most-link-filled-sig I gave up halfway as there were too many amusing things and the original purpose of this clicking just drifted away from my mind.

but I would really love to put some finished pictures of the emperor in there some time, any projected finishing date?
TG

EDIT: Just reserve some capital E for him, he will deserve it, I promise! ;)

I cannot tell any set date. I never know if the next day I will be in a mood to sculpt it, or the client requests some parts re-done, or I just need to wait for confirmation so I can move on...

Something about 3 months should be a good guess, though.

HPD_Andy
28-03-2006, 02:28
Well it is looking rather spiffy so far. Just keep porting the progress.

tzeentchgiant
28-03-2006, 11:26
EDIT: Just reserve some capital E for him, he will deserve it, I promise! ;)Aha, looks like I'll be changing the "E" of each to him then...

TG

Warboss Garfang
28-03-2006, 12:03
I gotta say man, that's incredible. I wish you tons of luck continuing on him, and I'll be following this thread-I'm just blown away by what you've done.

Suicide Messiah
28-03-2006, 12:41
This is the best Emperor ive seen. Much better than those kits you see on E-bay or the Emp Vs. Horus clash you see every year at Gamesday. Best of luck with the rest of it. Though i doubt you really need it.

*edit* Can anyone tell me what modeline (or whatever the basic frame is made out of) is?

tzeentchgiant
28-03-2006, 14:36
I think those are of Hortwerth's own design, they look good too :).

TG

Suicide Messiah
28-03-2006, 16:42
You mean the disproportioned one with the power fist hanging around his ankle? That was made by Hortwerth? Or do you mean the one that actually looks like the Adrian Smith artwork? I've only seen two kits on ebay since its not something i go looking for. Anyway, i feel this version is much better than any other ive seen. Plus its an original pose (i think).

tzeentchgiant
28-03-2006, 18:01
You mean the disproportioned one with the power fist hanging around his ankle? That was made by Hortwerth? No, the basic framework, which you asked about :rolleyes:.

I believe Hortwerth makes that for other marine projects too, to base his sculpting on.

TG

Suicide Messiah
28-03-2006, 19:08
Ok, my bad (slaps face). I wanted to know what the framework was made out of. Is it something like Fimo that you have to bake?

no-use4a-name
28-03-2006, 20:36
wow-e-wow-wow, said in a Christopher Walken voice. That is amazing. Great work.

mirakel_jocke
28-03-2006, 22:44
*Returns to the forums*

The level of detail you've put into this mini so far is shocking and it is indeed looking shockingly good ;)

Oh, and Hortwerth, will you paint the mini aswell?

I'll keep an eye out for updates in this thread, quite curious on how this model will look finished.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Ryss
29-03-2006, 15:02
i can do better

Anvils Hammer
29-03-2006, 15:36
i can do better

many such statements like this require pictures as evidence, this one particularly , unless you are being silly :p

nice work Horthwerth, look forward to seeing more

mirakel_jocke
29-03-2006, 16:28
many such statements like this require pictures as evidence, this one particularly , unless you are being silly :p

nice work Horthwerth, look forward to seeing more
Ryss is a f(r)iend of mine and I'm pretty sure that he's just playing silly. ;)

Oh, and nice new ava Anvil.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Hortwerth
29-03-2006, 17:30
Thanks for the comments.

I'm quite certain there are people who can do better. It just happens they don't want to, or something :). I agree on the photo being needed to make such a comment something other than a loose thought.

The modelline (englisation of a polish word :)) is just like fimo, but harder - it varies from one product to another, though. Some are really hard and difficult to work in, but when broken into pieces by force have a nice rocky texture, and if baked are extremely hard, yet elastic. Some are just perfect to sculpt in.

The point is to have a dirt-cheap mass that you can sculpt for a week, is only a bit harder than Greenstuff so that you don't have to use a new technique, can be hardened easily (boiling or baking), and can be filed and cut easily (when boiled), or is extra-tough (when baked).

It's so much easier when you can make several mock-ups to get the hang of it, then return them to the rest of the stuff, and then make a base for greenstuff to stick to.

Plus it's dirt-cheap when compared to "proper" modelling masses.

Expect a small update today.

Hortwerth
29-03-2006, 19:16
A small update:

Eagle time!

A new eagle "hood", a new chest eagle head, a new belt eagle, a new eagle sword guard.

Plus a new sword WIP, new scale armour under the belt, face scratched another time, plus boots improved even more.

Large pic with all the angles, plus smaller if you have to wait ages for the large one to open fully.

Enjoy.

Warboss Garfang
29-03-2006, 20:16
That sword's HUGE! I really like it, just the way a sword should be.

I also noted the tanks in your sig, and they're...I don't even really know, certainly incredible, but that amount of work on them is AMAZING.

EmperorsChamp01
29-03-2006, 21:02
The Emperor is Bulimic? He looks to skinny to be the emperor. Sorry for such a late Post about it but did you mean to make him so skinny.

Hortwerth
29-03-2006, 22:27
That sword's HUGE! I really like it, just the way a sword should be.

I'm afraid it will look too long, and the eagle guard will look way too bit. But the client seems to like it.

also noted the tanks in your sig, and they're...I don't even really know, certainly incredible, but that amount of work on them is AMAZING.

I love Land Raiders. I made 10 of them through these years, these are the last 2. I love Terminators. I will finish some "proper" ones to fit the tanks sometime.

The Emperor is Bulimic? He looks to skinny to be the emperor. Sorry for such a late Post about it but did you mean to make him so skinny.

I certainly wanted to make him according to anatomy.

He's in a 1:8 proportion ratio, whereas GW minis are in 1:6, and sometimes even 1:5.

An average man usually has 1:7 to 1:8 ratio, and the "perfect" classical greek hero proportion ratio is 1:9.

(I refer to the How-many-heads tall ratio, dictating what size all the other body parts are)

It looks skinny when compared to other GW miniatures, but I just couldn't stand making such an important model look squat. (pun intended:D)

He'll look much tougher when I get to making his cloak.

BTW, The client doesn't seem like making me to shorten the sword for now.

tzeentchgiant
30-03-2006, 16:21
1:9? No, surely only 1:7, that's what I've heard quoted over the years.

1:9 and I'd be 7'6" :eek: (based on my head being roughly 10" tall).

TG

ZAChos
30-03-2006, 16:44
Are you a classical greek hero, tg?

As said, the average person in 1:7, or 1:8, but in order to make someone more heroic you can increase that.

Xeres
30-03-2006, 17:52
nice model you have there hort but its a shame about the powerfist pose.

frod
30-03-2006, 18:51
I think I know why he looks so thin, his hips are a little too narrow, normal hips are roughly the same width as the shoulders whereas yours are only about the same width as the waist.

That said your sculpting skills are brilliant

Suicide Messiah
30-03-2006, 19:50
Hips are not the same width as the shoulders. They are roughly the same width as the 'trunk', with the shoulders being wider still.

Anyway, im still loving this mini. Yes its a slightly different build than GWs but then again their minis arnt exactly correct. I do think the sword is overkill though, something that big thrust outwards would just send the balance of the mini off.

frod
30-03-2006, 20:20
sorry I meant shoulder joint i.e rouughly minus 1 arm width

tzeentchgiant
30-03-2006, 21:33
Are you a classical greek hero, tg? That's what the girls tell me ;).

I know what he meant (because he said it :p), but 1:9? I think that's really pushing it, are there any statues or anything that can show this (genuine interest, not wanting proof).

TG

McMullet
30-03-2006, 21:43
I have a slight issue with the shoulderpads - they appear to say "Imperator Deus" on them, which I believe means "God Emperor" or words to that effect. The Emperor was always very averse to being revered as a god, and saw himself as very much a man when he was alive (if I remember my fluff right). Only a little thing, but something that you may wish to look into before you start paintiing and stuff.

Other than that, amazing work on the sculpting. Most impressive.

Hortwerth
30-03-2006, 21:54
I have a slight issue with the shoulderpads - they appear to say "Imperator Deus" on them, which I believe means "God Emperor" or words to that effect. The Emperor was always very averse to being revered as a god, and saw himself as very much a man when he was alive (if I remember my fluff right). Only a little thing, but something that you may wish to look into before you start paintiing and stuff.

Other than that, amazing work on the sculpting. Most impressive.

Have I posted the shoulderpad sketches?

I used these for the trim, the size and because they were perfect to get the V-shaped lower edge.
If you look at what I intend to sculpt on the shoulderpads, you'll notice that the lettering on the trim will be covered with eagles, crosses and S swirls.

BTW, the "face with hand" shoulderpad is definitely off now. and I'll be making the swooping eagle one for the right shoulder.

As for the proportions, I do agree with all of you; he seems a bit thin.

But both me and the client like this.

Ok, TG, I pushed it with 1:9, I thought I read it somewhere. Here is other reference (http://www.dace.co.uk/proportion.htm) though, which straightens it up a bit.
BTW, when will you finish your WBBC sergeant marine?

McMullet
31-03-2006, 09:05
I did look at the sketches, yes, just wanted to check that you hadn't changed your mind or something. It would've been a shame to have a little thing like that spoil the mini.

Hortwerth
31-03-2006, 10:05
As requested by the client, superior pics of the stage posted above.

Life size at roughly 12,5%-15%.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7599/p10101076yb.jpg

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/4598/p10101087hl.jpg

Warboss Garfang
01-04-2006, 02:45
I'm just short of the verge of pooping myself with the quality of your scuplting. The blown up picture just seems to create more detail rather than point out any flaws, I'm amazed.

Great work! Is the area of plasticard that makes up the back of the eagle(behind his head) going to stay flat?

Hortwerth
01-04-2006, 06:44
Great work! Is the area of plasticard that makes up the back of the eagle(behind his head) going to stay flat?

I'm still undecided what will go in there. I had a few suggestions, and the client has to decide on one of them.

Animerik
01-04-2006, 09:33
Dang that´s some great sculping mr.Hortwerth! I love to see someone with god skills doing the emperor and this is turing out the best emperor I´ve seen good job keep it up

skiff
01-04-2006, 13:12
THAT is the way minis have to be done, very good, much better than 'scibor'

Animerik
01-04-2006, 17:26
skiff that´s damn right beats the crap out if scibor ^^

Gaz
02-04-2006, 14:47
That....is very VERY sweet. If this is all hand sculpted (none of this machine help lark) then I'll probably poop myself in awe :-D

Hideous Loon
02-04-2006, 15:03
Go ahead, poop yourself. It's all (as far as I know with my inferior kungfu) hand sculpted.

Scorpio
02-04-2006, 17:01
That is incredible it looks terrific. I cant wait to see him painted...

-Scorpio

The Dragon Reborn
03-04-2006, 07:49
are you still planning a cloak?

how are you planning on doing the flames on the sword?

are you going to paint him? or is the client?

other than that, pretty much the coolest model i have ever seen

very very nice, how many hours are you in to it so far?

Hortwerth
03-04-2006, 08:21
are you still planning a cloak?

how are you planning on doing the flames on the sword?

are you going to paint him? or is the client?

other than that, pretty much the coolest model i have ever seen

very very nice, how many hours are you in to it so far?

Yes,

Of GS, more and higher to the tip of the sword,

Yes, I,

Thank you,

have no idea.

EDIT: Around 60-70hrs so far, I think.

Hortwerth
03-04-2006, 23:45
Today Jacek was extremely nice to take pics of my IG Ad Mech army. This is my first army for several years, and marks my full comeback to the hobby.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/Hortwerh/Ad%20Mech%20army%202006/AdMechmix.jpg

EDIT: more pics.. (http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/Hortwerh/Ad%20Mech%20army%202006/)If not accessible let me know.

As for the Emperor, today I made the sword eagle heads, gems, and grip. I also sculpted the shoulderpads, and added little wings to the fist. Unfortunately I made it through the afternoon, and Jacek left before there was anything to take photos of.

Tomorrow I unavoidably hand off my degree work. I have the final studies exam (for the degree) on April 12th, together with my fiancee.

Last 3 days I was battling with printers and XP, and I'm a bit tired and stressed. Had to crop one diagram from the degree work to get the page numbers fit other parts, hope noone notices there's graph 39 and then graph 41 with no graph in between.

Anvils Hammer
04-04-2006, 00:29
wow, that is a really really nice Ad mech army youve got there.

the only suggestions/criticisms I have are that with your skill, the dozer blades should have some freehand, and that the demolisher cannon barrels are a little too big, other than that, its awesome, consider lots of ideas stolen :)

how much of the basic infantry are sculpted?
edit- had a closer look, I spy with my little eye , lots of catachan parts, excellently disguised, betonnian men at arms, cadian torsos, sculpted hoods, robes etc, plasticard shoulder guards.. what else is in the mix?

Warboss Garfang
04-04-2006, 00:46
My biggest question is what you play them as. I'm assuming you use grenadiers, special weapons squads, engineseers, and I guess cybernetics(if that's the right name, the one which gives a 6+ I save). That's only 4 doctrines though.

I was amazed by your use of parts, just incredible. I feel like I constantly say that about your stuff, but I've found that I'm just amazed every time I see something you make.

Hortwerth
04-04-2006, 00:51
wow, that is a really really nice Ad mech army youve got there.

the only suggestions/criticisms I have are that with your skill, the dozer blades should have some freehand, and that the demolisher cannon barrels are a little too big, other than that, its awesome, consider lots of ideas stolen :)

Thank you :). The army is on my tabletop level, i.e. Micro Art Studio's Adept level. I really speed-painted them all, the Leman Russes were assembled in one day and fully painted the next day, for instance.

The Chimeras are cardboard (I felt like building something from scratch rather than I had no money for 2 Chimeras. For the time I spent on these 2 I could buy several :))

As for the freehand, I wanted to keep this army as functional and simple as possible. There is only black, red and bone plus metals, and I really wanted to get an utilitarian feel, plus a bit of religious reverence to the steel behemoths. I have the Dark Angels to wrap in freehands, and this army is just to have something to play, plus I always wanted to have a Mechanicus Expeditionary force.

The demolisher cannons are made of what I found in the drawer. Nothing special, and not much consideration involved. they're magnetised though and swappable for battlecannons.

how much of the basic infantry are sculpted?

Men-at-arms+ catachan lasgun and arm. The hood, goggles, thingy at the back, cables on arms, and armour on torso are sculpted. Plus plasticard shoulderpads and cables connecting hellguns, heads and the thingie at the back. All the special weapons skiitarii are based on Catachans as I have tonnes of these laying around from my old 302 models Cultist army, and these have all the outside sculpted.

The Storm Troopers (Salusa S. Bluebloods) are particularly old and not sculpted or painted well, but they fit the colourscheme so may stay for now.
The Servitors will get some bolted-on helmets in some time.

The HQ represents a conclave of Techno-Magii and as such serves only to give Ld. All these models are based on Catachans too, with a 3mm spacer between legs and torso.
Quite of nowhere I made loads of servoskulls for these; so many that I had lots to put on bases after I gave how many I wanted to the HQ models.

My biggest question is what you play them as. I'm assuming you use grenadiers, special weapons squads, engineseers, and I guess cybernetics(if that's the right name, the one which gives a 6+ I save). That's only 4 doctrines though.

I was amazed by your use of parts, just incredible. I feel like I constantly say that about your stuff, but I've found that I'm just amazed every time I see something you make.

I use Grenadiers, Storm Troopers, Techpriest Enginseers, and Iron Discipline. Plus maybe Carapace Armour to give it to all HQ models for +20pts, but I usually prefer to have a huter-killer plus extra armour or smoke launchers for these points.

Much of the most climatic doctrines work only for Guard Infantry, and I use Storm Troopers and Grenadiers, who are not classified as Guard Infantry (if I'm not mistaken) so these don't work for them.

Other than that, I have a cunning plan to proxy the skulls as Skiitarii squad members; the point is that they'll represent how Skitarii differ from normal Grenadiers.
Physically there'll be 6 models, plus 4 skulls. These 6 models will fire more effective than normal Grenadiers, giving them the firepower of 10 models. They'll be also more resilent, and the first hits suffered will just do minor damage to them, reducing only their effectiveness (the first wounds will be taken on skull models). Only after they suffer some damage (4 skulls killed) they'll be damaged more severely and start deactivating.
Just a climatic trick for friendly games - I don't want to use some strange rules when I can make something with the existing rules plus "counts as".

Animerik
04-04-2006, 01:18
amasing army, love the use of bret minis and the scuplping is godlike! keep it up!

tzeentchgiant
09-04-2006, 16:25
Hortwerth, you aren't being fair on the other members, soon my sig will be solely dedicated to you...

(Sigged BTW, for sheer awesomeness)

TG

Hortwerth
09-04-2006, 23:54
You link spaces between the words too?!? (e.g. Scibor's CMON)

How evil...

I counted me 2 times in your sig, the same as The Hoff :). With this thread and the Slaaneshi army the client didn't pay for fully...

EDIT: lol, in the first line, after will, which includes link to this thread. I'm honoured :)

Sorry for lack of proper updates here, I have my final degree exam on Wednesday and I have to prepare for it, so the progress slowed a bit.
I can snip you an info that I work on a line of resin mechanicus troopers for Micro Art Studio now...

tzeentchgiant
09-04-2006, 23:59
That's an accident (your gallery is in a space too), the majority of the cool links are in spaces, check the last one.

TG

The Frenchy
10-04-2006, 01:09
This army is awesome... :eek:

The Dragon Reborn
10-04-2006, 01:28
I have always wondered it there were in game rules for the emperor? GW ones or just ones that some one made up, they would be cool to read

Hortwerth
10-04-2006, 05:56
I suggest something like this:

Emperor
points cost: an arm and leg
WS: classified
BS: classified
S: classified
T: classified
W: classified
I: classified
A: classified
Ld: classified
Sv: auto
Special: Unless the other side includes Horus, The Emperor's side wins the game in 4th turn with a Solid Victory (They're too civilised to achieve a "massacre" result). Can't be fielded against Tau, Necrons or Tyranids.
For information as to what happens when the other side includes Horus, adress Horus Special rule "khhyh Father... khhyh"

Inquisitor Konig
10-04-2006, 09:07
in reguards to your IG army...
at first when i read your rules about the servo-skulls in your units counting as wound counters, my first reaction was cop-out but then i thought a little more about it... personaly i think your models are ******* amazing (i love all converted guard armies) and even if you dont have full squads, the six you do have in the units drasticaly make up for the fact that there are so few of them. in after thought i really dont care that you dont have full squads, they look so good i dont think i could possibly refuse a battle against such a lovely army.
please post more pictures.

Despoiler
10-04-2006, 12:38
currant rules for the Emperor of Mankind:

(this is not a joke these are the ACTUAL agreed rules for the Emperor)

The Emperor, Lord of Mankind

Pts: 700
WS: 8
BS: 8
S: 6
T: 6
W: 6
I: 7
A: 6
Ld: 10
Sv -/2+

Wargear: Terminator Armor of the Emperor, Purityfist, Tempestblade

SPECIAL RULES
Command Squad: A Command Squad of his finest warriors may accompany The Emperor. The members of his Command Squad are treated as Force Commanders from Codex: Spacemarines. The Command Squad is made up of 4 Force Commanders and all of the Force Commanders may be equipped with additionally wargear from Codex: Spacemarines.

Terminator Armor of the Emperor: The Emperor wears a specially crafted suit of Terminator armor that makes him almost invincible to all attacks. This suit of armor acts in all ways like a suit of Terminator armor, but instead of giving a normal 2+ save its gives a 2+ invulnerable save.

Purityfist: The Purityfist is an ancient and ornate powerfist incorporating many technologies not found in normal powerfists. Because of these unique advancements the Purityfist doubles the Emperors strength up to 12 and roles 2d6 against enemy armor. Additionally if the player wishes may replace the Purityfist with a powerful relic storm bolter, called the Purgatator. The Purgatator has the following stats:

Strength Range AP Type
5 36" 4 Assault 2/Blast

Tempestblade: The Tempestblade acts as a focusing lens for the Emperor immense psychic strength. Within it blade the very soul and rage of the Emperor is focused and released, utterly annihilating any foe that would dare stand against the Imperium. Any enemy hit the Tempestblade is automatically killed with no to wound or armor save aloud. Against vehicles the Tempestblade automatically inflicts a d6 role on the glancing hit table.

Fearless: The Emperor and the entire army he leads is considered fearless. The Emperor and his entire army are immune to leadership, morale, and pinning.

Zealousness: If accompanied by a Command Squad hits must always be allocated to other models than Emperor. This accounts for the fact that any Spacemarine would be willing to take a Lascannon shot for the Emperor. In effect the Emperor may only be shot at once his entire Command Squad is dead.

Independent Character: Unless accompanied by a Command Squad the Emperor is treated as a Independent Character and follows all rules concerning Independent Character in the Warhammer 40k main rule book. Additionally any squad the Emperor joins is affected by the Zealousness rule above.

The Emperor: If the Emperor is slain the army controlling him immediately looses.

Ultra Tough: The Emperor is never affected by “Instant Death” no matter how it would be inflicted.

Psychic Powers: The Emperor may caste any Psychic Power in the game. He may caste any of these powers without taking a psychic test. Note they are not really the same powers but very similar, renamed (Stream of Corruption would be Stream of Purity or something.)

Warboss Garfang
10-04-2006, 14:39
OK, that's nutty.

Luke
10-04-2006, 15:18
Still seems a little underpowered to me ;)

Despoiler
10-04-2006, 15:40
i think hes still a little cheap to me.
for a guy who is ws8 s6 and t6 with 6w who can kill anything with one swing (out of his 6A) and inflit automatic glancing hits or fire 2 strength 4 blasts at bs8. who makes his entire army fearless and can have an entire retinue of force commanders (who you have to kill before you can lay a finger on the emperor himself), even then he's immune to instant kill so its going to be hard. oh and the small fact that he can also use any psychic power in the game without having to pass a test. 700pts seems a little cheap especially with the only downside being if he dies his army looses the battle (but with a 2+ inv save and 6 wounds and T6 and his retinue thats going to be hard). (even with the power of Chuck Norris this guy would behard to defeat).

mind you even if you pay for the emperor and a well armed retinue, thus taking a large chunk out of your points you aren't going to have much of an army anyway to fight along side.

Hortwerth
10-04-2006, 19:27
Meh.

I still believe the sketch of rules I presented is more climatic.

:)

in reguards to your IG army...
at first when i read your rules about the servo-skulls in your units counting as wound counters, my first reaction was cop-out but then i thought a little more about it... personaly i think your models are ******* amazing (i love all converted guard armies) and even if you dont have full squads, the six you do have in the units drasticaly make up for the fact that there are so few of them. in after thought i really dont care that you dont have full squads, they look so good i dont think i could possibly refuse a battle against such a lovely army.
please post more pictures.

Here's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30799) the thread on this army.

I just though of this as a climatic way of getting some extra models for battles over 1500pts. And I just made 20+ servoskulls while I was making the Tech Magii conclave and I just couldn't fit them all on them. :)

Norminator
11-04-2006, 16:39
I think the Emperor is underpowered; if I faced him I would just pump everything at him. Once he's dead you've won, so just fire all your lascannons at him!

BodhiTree
11-04-2006, 19:18
If he can smoke Abaddon at his own gimmick then it sounds reasonable to me. :D

Imus
11-04-2006, 20:36
i think there was something about terminator armour though. I believe he could not of had it as it was a later addition to the imperiums armoury. I think it was either mkII or III modified power armour.

Hortwerth
11-04-2006, 20:44
Yeah, that's why I insisted on the Power-armour looking artificer armour for this model. I think the Terminator Armour was just a 2nd edition hangover, as it was uber-superior to anything then.

I have the final degree exam tomorrow.

:(

:wtf: :confused: :cries:

ExquisiteEvil
11-04-2006, 21:07
I have the final degree exam tomorrow.

:(

:wtf: :confused: :cries:

Just to say I am a long time admirer first time poster on your work and I think its marvelous!- all of it!!!

Good luck with the exam tomorrow!

The Dragon Reborn
12-04-2006, 05:34
Good luck, and we will all be glad when its over so you can get back to work

Hortwerth
12-04-2006, 21:26
Now I'm magister (master of something? MBA? I can't figure what's the equivalent in english nomenclature) of management with a big shiney "5" ("A") on a diploma. Just a few formalities, and a loong wait till september or november, as the official diploma handing-out will be in autumn.

Just hope the army doesn't really want me.

I'll try to have some pics of the progress by the end of the week.

I'm a bit uneasy as the client hasn't replied to the last e-mail; I haven't heard from him for about a week and a half.
I put the blame on Easter and his possible coming home for it from the US where he studies. I hope nothing serious happened to him.

Inquis. Jaeger
13-04-2006, 00:06
Master of Business Administration

Fantastic work - looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing it all finished

StormCrow
13-04-2006, 09:01
even with the power of Chuck Norris this guy would be hard to defeat.

you mean Chuck Norris isn't the emperor?!

Loving this model, superb job....and congrats on the MBA!

Hortwerth
14-04-2006, 16:36
Just a small update.

I haven't heard from the client for over a week now. Beginning to get worried for him.

I made the shoulderpads, the back of the eagle hood detail, shortened the sword, made a grip for it, straightened right arm, and made a rough cloak shape.

All is held together by blue-tac (yellow stuff) and faith, as the model is now in pieces.

Waiting for the client opinion.

The Dragon Reborn
14-04-2006, 17:33
that looks b-e-autiful wow, you are making me fall in love with a minature, how could you?

hopefully you hear from the client soon, and he likes everything so far

how did your finals go?

Hortwerth
14-04-2006, 17:34
Now I'm "A" grade MBA.

I think that means the finals went quite fine ;)

Warboss Garfang
14-04-2006, 17:38
Wow, just amazing. Such a beautiful model!

VtrAxx
14-04-2006, 18:00
Lordy! Thats BEAUTIFUL! Hmm I say Cast it before you send it off, and sell it on the MAS Shop like the other models, and you'll see loads of ******* buyers.

Just my 0.02CDN Idea.

Vtraxx Out

Despoiler
14-04-2006, 19:14
wow fantastic model. i have to say the sword doesn't seem so huge when its in his hands (which is a good thing -i didn't want to see the emperor dwarfed by his sword). cape makes a huge amount of difference.

if i was client i would be very happy indeed (if i hadn't disappeared off the face of the earth) i'm sure client is ok after all no news is good news...right?

I second VtrAxx with the casting idea (hell, i would buy it and i collect deathguard and tyranids!-just because its so cool)

tzeentchgiant
14-04-2006, 20:16
Nice one on the MBA Hort, well done :).

Emperor wise, does he have two swords :confused:, I don't know what's going on between the two pictures.

TG

Norminator
14-04-2006, 20:18
TG, I think the sword is balanced on that as it sets/before it's glued.

tzeentchgiant
14-04-2006, 20:29
No, I mean look at the two pictures, a sword with handle, a sword without handle, are there two or only one that has been cut between the second and first pictures?

TG

Norminator
14-04-2006, 20:57
Oh right, I see what you mean... yeah, what is that for?

Hortwerth
14-04-2006, 22:04
I had his right arm casted and then cut and straightened (I couldn't do it with the original as I used a steel pin as a superstructure), and the first pic is with the old arm and sword just in front of the model taking a rest, and the second one is after a few other pics, when I remembered about the new arm and stuck it on and fitted the sword to it. Note the grip still would come right through his elbow guard, I have to do something with this.

precinctomega
14-04-2006, 22:59
Hortwerth, I have to confess - having slogged my way through this whole thread - I began by thinking "yeah, he's good, but he's not THAT good". I was wrong. This is, without doubt, the best version of the Emperor yet seen on the 'net. What it will look like once you've painted it, I have no idea. But I'll be here to see it!

R.

Animerik
15-04-2006, 12:12
Great sculping skills I´m green with envy! The mini looks great but the eagle on the sword is a bit big IMO but an awsome mini anyways ^^

And I beg yóu.. please make a tutorial on how you work with deatails/faces/cloaks since your the best I´ve seen in a looooong time

keep it up!

Hortwerth
15-04-2006, 23:18
The shortest tutorial would be: a selection of tools made of pins, picky and very demanding client, plus lots of patience.

And the cloak: Magic Sculp plus water plus brush.

Animerik
16-04-2006, 00:12
yeah a pic of your tools and the longest tutorial would be even better ^^

thanks anyways

Hortwerth
16-04-2006, 08:11
Sorry. there are no tricks, just an open-mind thinking.

the detail on the thighs - it was sculpted "the other way".
I flattened some GS to a consistent thickness, and smoothed it on a piece of flat PVC. I then took my round pin tool and just sketched the vine motiff. I then carefully deepened it by following it a few times with the same tool. It was extremely important that it's of the same depth all ofer. I added some leafs here and there and then, when it was setting, I smoothed the surface once more, making the sculpted vines a bit thinner. I then cut it all from the PVC and cut every vine motiff rectangle out. The thighs were filed in the places where detail would come, and then a bit of GS was added, the vine mold pushed gently, peeled off and pushed on a few times until the placement was right, then pushed hard and gently peeled off immediately. I then cut and smoothed the excess GS all around, and run around the motiff with the pin tool again to make it more defined.

ilikebmxbikes
17-04-2006, 08:58
looks awsome. has anyone asked roughly how much you would charge for a project like this? you are putting so much effort and thought into the model and you skills are amazing.

ilikebmxbikes
17-04-2006, 08:59
one critique, the feet seem to short for the greaves.

Hortwerth
08-05-2006, 20:06
Ok, now here's the model posed and prepared for painting. If I get the green light from the client on the pose and detail, I'll start painting him soon. 3 times.

ZAChos
08-05-2006, 20:48
Words fail...

Rabid Bunny 666
08-05-2006, 21:12
woah, that is beyond awesome dude

A neutral shade of black.
08-05-2006, 21:22
...whoa. Did you recast the green out of plastic? It doesn't look like fimo or another sculpting putty. In any case, awesome.

Hortwerth
08-05-2006, 21:39
It's resin. Micro Art Studio specialty. Soon we'll be getting into metal casting territory also.

It's been re-casted to clean up all the bits uncleanable due to the differing material property. Now it's all of the same material and could be sanded, filed, cut, trimmed and pinned properly.

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2006, 22:26
I'm not too sure about the flames, but the rest is great :).

By "three times" do you mean he'll probably want you to restart three times, or you're painting up three copies of this model?

TG

KayvaanShrike
08-05-2006, 22:36
Wow, finally got to the end of this thread and the chance to post my show of appreciation for showing us this work!! That is awesome awesome work Hort!! I hope your client is pleased with him, if hes not can I have him? lol Anyone would be mad to not like what you've created. Well done, when can we expect painted pics of him?

Ricko
08-05-2006, 22:43
holy... now that's a piece of work!

now.. you said that was a cast.. do we get to have "clones"? :D

Very nice work!

Hortwerth
08-05-2006, 23:05
now.. you said that was a cast.. do we get to have "clones"? :D

Sorry. I have my dignity. The client pays well to much to make something that awful to him. He jumped on the opportunity though, as I planned to cast it mainly to be able to finish it properly (single material, not compound GS/plasticard/steel/MS/modelline/etc.), but I'm just as happy that he wants 3 of them to ensure that whatever happens to one of them, he has an undamaged model. I don't suppose he'll go as far as sending it in 3 separate parcels, though ;) He pays for painting each of them separately, of course. This way this commission reaches $1k.

I'm not too sure about the flames, but the rest is great :).

I think I should make them more sticking out and in 3 places rather than 2. Like 3 large flames and lots of the smaller. This way it would look more "flamy" and less like a mane. I can still add it, but honestly I prefer to have something that I'm expecting the client to pick rather than give him free reign and aloow to pick on totally unexpected things of which I'm proud. You can call it experience...

By "three times" do you mean he'll probably want you to restart three times, or you're painting up three copies of this model?

TG

I already answered this, but you raised a good point. I'll probably paint the details a few times until the client will be happy. He's not too picky when it comes to my painting, it's just that he demands me to stay focused and not miss a brushstroke.

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2006, 23:09
:eek:

Wow, ding ding ding, payday.

(How much (%) of that does the painting place take? (minature art or something).

TG

Hortwerth
08-05-2006, 23:25

Wow, ding ding ding, payday.

(How much (%) of that does the painting place take? (minature art or something).

I don't know if I should go into detail on this, but who cares. The Studio gets 25% minus my materials cost, and the paypal gets its bite too. Usually the P&P is on top of negotiated price. Majority of the painters in the Studio are on the 50/50 term but for a few of the ones like me who were in this business before, and in the Studio from the very beginning, whose terms range from 40/60 to 20/80. I have more freelancing attitude, with most of what I do being commissions I get directly (i.e., not through the Studio). However, I feel loyal to the Studio, plus all the payments, packing, sending, pic-taking, etc., is taken care by it then. I have nothing against sharing my income to get these things away from me.

Plus soon I'll be getting a job from the Studio - taking care of the shops, wholesalers, and marketing. Guess where the salary for this comes from?

tzeentchgiant
08-05-2006, 23:32
Sorry for asking (a bit innappropriate I think).

Still, nice to hear you're making some cash for such superb efforts.

I have no idea where this salray comes from, but I suspect you have regular work as well?

TG

VtrAxx
09-05-2006, 00:06
I wonder if your gonna cast this mini lol. It'll probably give MAS more money since many people would buy one, since its darn nice and accurate to the drawing of Adrian Smith.

Vtraxx Out

Hortwerth
09-05-2006, 00:40
I wonder if your gonna cast this mini lol. It'll probably give MAS more money since many people would buy one, since its darn nice and accurate to the drawing of Adrian Smith.

Vtraxx Out

It's just not for sale. What's the point of making one-off models if they're no longer one-offs? or even limited edition? Remember the hype about GW's Inquisitor Lorr model? Now it's easily available, but for some time e-bay prices for it were sky-high. I bet the ones who bought it then were very disappointed half a year later.

Still learning
16-05-2006, 12:34
yeah GW does that (typical GW)

bloed_tarnen
16-05-2006, 13:32
After reading the whole thread... I have a few questions: Did the client want a flaming sword specifically?, I did not think the emperor had a sword with flames on it, just a power sword or force sword. I thought sagnius had the flaming sword. This is according to my recollection of the fluff. I could be wrong (no doubt that is likely)

You said he might get you to make sagnius or horus next, I would suggest horus, post him on here or a new thread. Congrats for your degree too.

*EDIT*
I forgot the most important part, well done!, the model looks superb!, I look forwars to seeing it painted!! Great looking model!

DV8
16-05-2006, 18:15
Fantastic model! I wish I could sculpt this well... :( One question though, how did you sculpt the fur? I've always wanted to acheive that effect, but never could (all I can do at the moment is the lines of doom fur.)

DV8

Scorpio
16-05-2006, 20:58
Hortwerth.... You will never cease to amaze me.

-Scorpio

Hortwerth
16-05-2006, 23:02
I don't know why people keep putting "o" into my name... Does it have some meaning in some language that I'm not aware of? It started as a name for a Half-Elf colour-blind bow-sniper character for an RPG and I really like it as I liked the character ("Shoot the ones in red tabards!" "Not the green ones! "Aagh!" plus one shot=one kill with critical hit through the eye or similar)

DV8: Flatten GS to about 1-2mm thickness (thicker than you'd do for anything else). Take a pin or a drill bit or a toothpick or some other "poking" element and make lots of holes in the GS. Lots of. Then take your sculpting tool ( I use GW's one) and turn it "upside down" so that you're not sculpting with the blade but with the very tip of it. Put a few drops of water on the GS so that it's wet. Starting from the lower side of the intended fur, put the tip of the tool into one of the holes and move it down and away from the surface, adding a gentle "S" move to the motion. It's just like handwriting a comma or s. Continue making it in horizontal rows, so that the upper row of the fur covers the base of the lower one. It's best made with very fresh GS, not even half an hour after mixing - it's soft and sticks to the tool a bit despite water, helping making the hair less clumpy.

bloed_tarnen:The flames are based directly on the Emperor vs. Horus painting from the cover of the HHvol.1 book. I believe they're more of a representation of the psychic force of the Emperor within his Force Sword.

Pirate
17-05-2006, 05:52
currant rules for the Emperor of Mankind:

(this is not a joke these are the ACTUAL agreed rules for the Emperor)

The Emperor, Lord of Mankind

Pts: 700
WS: 8
BS: 8
S: 6
T: 6
W: 6
I: 7
A: 6
Ld: 10
Sv -/2+

Wargear: Terminator Armor of the Emperor, Purityfist, Tempestblade

SPECIAL RULES
Command Squad: A Command Squad of his finest warriors may accompany The Emperor. The members of his Command Squad are treated as Force Commanders from Codex: Spacemarines. The Command Squad is made up of 4 Force Commanders and all of the Force Commanders may be equipped with additionally wargear from Codex: Spacemarines.

Terminator Armor of the Emperor: The Emperor wears a specially crafted suit of Terminator armor that makes him almost invincible to all attacks. This suit of armor acts in all ways like a suit of Terminator armor, but instead of giving a normal 2+ save its gives a 2+ invulnerable save.

Purityfist: The Purityfist is an ancient and ornate powerfist incorporating many technologies not found in normal powerfists. Because of these unique advancements the Purityfist doubles the Emperors strength up to 12 and roles 2d6 against enemy armor. Additionally if the player wishes may replace the Purityfist with a powerful relic storm bolter, called the Purgatator. The Purgatator has the following stats:

Strength Range AP Type
5 36" 4 Assault 2/Blast

Tempestblade: The Tempestblade acts as a focusing lens for the Emperor immense psychic strength. Within it blade the very soul and rage of the Emperor is focused and released, utterly annihilating any foe that would dare stand against the Imperium. Any enemy hit the Tempestblade is automatically killed with no to wound or armor save aloud. Against vehicles the Tempestblade automatically inflicts a d6 role on the glancing hit table.

Fearless: The Emperor and the entire army he leads is considered fearless. The Emperor and his entire army are immune to leadership, morale, and pinning.

Zealousness: If accompanied by a Command Squad hits must always be allocated to other models than Emperor. This accounts for the fact that any Spacemarine would be willing to take a Lascannon shot for the Emperor. In effect the Emperor may only be shot at once his entire Command Squad is dead.

Independent Character: Unless accompanied by a Command Squad the Emperor is treated as a Independent Character and follows all rules concerning Independent Character in the Warhammer 40k main rule book. Additionally any squad the Emperor joins is affected by the Zealousness rule above.

The Emperor: If the Emperor is slain the army controlling him immediately looses.

Ultra Tough: The Emperor is never affected by “Instant Death” no matter how it would be inflicted.

Psychic Powers: The Emperor may caste any Psychic Power in the game. He may caste any of these powers without taking a psychic test. Note they are not really the same powers but very similar, renamed (Stream of Corruption would be Stream of Purity or something.)

what are these rules from? surely this is not official

tzeentchgiant
17-05-2006, 09:19
No they aren't, but I think they're the most agreed on online ruleset.

TG

Despoiler
17-05-2006, 12:51
correct.
as i said these are the agreed rules.
as far as i know no official rules were ever created for the emporer himself.

OT
model looks much better now its all made of one material.
can't wait to see the finished painted model.

Hortwerth
17-05-2006, 21:51
Some minor update.

I added a few things on the client's request:
The gems on the fur, the flames at the base of the sword.

Still have to turn the head slightly (5-10 deg) to the left and file the sword eagle-guard so that it's not as wide.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2044/p10101563uq.jpg
http://img346.imageshack.us/img346/7297/empbacksmall9re.jpg

Then I should await client's approval and I can finally put a brush to Him!

KayvaanShrike
17-05-2006, 21:54
Any chance of a few pics of the alterations, so we can see before you bruch him up with a lick of paint??

EDIT: oops just noticed tht the pic never came up first time, my bad

Still looking awesome, can't say am fond of the gems on the fur though? But hey clients model.

Norminator
17-05-2006, 21:55
I really can't wait to see this finished, especially knowing how good you are Hortwerth!

Hortwerth
17-05-2006, 21:56
Sorry, forgot to upload the pics prior to posting this.

Norminator: Thanks.:angel: I'd like to see it finished already too!

EDIT: I also shortened the handle (shaft? grip?) of the sword so that the eagle head at the end is visible.

Conipto
17-05-2006, 22:04
I take it the jewels were clients request? They look a little like scarabs or something...

Bill

Cheatah
17-05-2006, 22:24
Dude, why aren't you working for GW? ;)

Looking good... don't like the gems on the fur though :(

Orcdom
17-05-2006, 22:38
they probly cant/wont afford him
Steve

Scorpio
18-05-2006, 00:01
they probly cant/wont afford him
Steve
Probably true;)
Lookin terrific Hortwerth!

-Scorpio

maraxis
18-05-2006, 14:38
Incredible. In the picture you are basing it off of who is the lady in Silver???? That woudl be a cool sculpt the Adeptus Costodeus is identifiable. for the vines on the neckguard (back) how do you get them so even (reverse sculpting them - i.e. make a mould and then cast from that)???

Codsticker
18-05-2006, 16:07
I can hardly wait to see some paint on that model Hortwerth. Have you considered doing little tutorials on how you sculpted parts of the model (ie. one on the vines, one the face, etc.)?

||-MARKO-||
18-05-2006, 19:15
hi. your work is AMAZING, and seen as you keep saying ''client'' as if someone is paying for this, im interested in maybe paying for a model of sanguinius? how much would the model be, roughly?

Norminator
18-05-2006, 19:24
Sorry. I have my dignity. The client pays well to much to make something that awful to him. He jumped on the opportunity though, as I planned to cast it mainly to be able to finish it properly (single material, not compound GS/plasticard/steel/MS/modelline/etc.), but I'm just as happy that he wants 3 of them to ensure that whatever happens to one of them, he has an undamaged model. I don't suppose he'll go as far as sending it in 3 separate parcels, though ;) He pays for painting each of them separately, of course. This way this commission reaches $1k.

That should give you an idea of how much Hortwerth charges.

||-MARKO-||
18-05-2006, 19:34
oh. 1000dollars. lol. not that rich yet. ill be back when ive directed that film. its not exactly too much, just more than expected...

Hortwerth
18-05-2006, 22:18
oh. 1000dollars. lol. not that rich yet. ill be back when ive directed that film. its not exactly too much, just more than expected...

it's 3x$200 for painting that makes it that much. However, it's still $400ish for sculpting such a model. Sanguinius has wings though, which also require sculpting from scratch, what will push the price up a bit.

I know it is a bit of a dam pricing (can I use this word for this?), but in the time I spend on this project I'd made 10-20 converted marines for auctions, which should net me around $600-$2000. As you can see this price is a bargain if you look at this from this point ;)

BTW, the next Primarch I'll be making after the Emperor for this client will be Sanguinius.

Hortwerth
18-05-2006, 22:57
Ok, I trimmed the sword eagle-guard and turned the head slightly to his left.

I hope I can start painting him now, waiting for client's approval.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7163/empwip19052006collage8fx.jpg

Orcdom
18-05-2006, 23:38
what resin are you fellas using for your castings? i am working with alumilite right now and its a 1-1 mix, yours seems to be the same color of some stuff i have seen other manufacturers use. and hopefully cheaper than alumilites.

you can PM me or email me if you dont want to talk about the casting part on this thread. the info would be much appreciated.

Steve

Hortwerth
18-05-2006, 23:55
what resin are you fellas using for your castings? i am working with alumilite right now and its a 1-1 mix, yours seems to be the same color of some stuff i have seen other manufacturers use. and hopefully cheaper than alumilites.

you can PM me or email me if you dont want to talk about the casting part on this thread. the info would be much appreciated.

Steve

I have no idea. I'm not into the technical issues of resin castings, I just ask Grzegorz or Sebastian and after some time I get a casted part.

I believe it's some sort of 1:1 stuff, as I've heard it's much easier to work with.

The colour is totally dependant on some sort of paint that's mixed with one part of the resin.

KayvaanShrike
19-05-2006, 09:32
It may have already been asked, but why if the Emperor is wearing a type of power armour, does he have no backpack to power it? I agree it looks really good without it, and I think a backpack might have ruined it a little, but was just curious as to why there wasn't one?

precinctomega
19-05-2006, 13:01
why if the Emperor is wearing a type of power armour, does he have no backpack to power it?

Because his power armour is so much more advanced and sophisticated than pretty much any other equivalent suit in the history of humanity. Remember - he's designed most of his own stuff and wassn't burdened by the Cult Mechanicus's reliance upon established processes.

It is fair to assume that the power is provided from a very, very small atomic reactor, concealed by his cloak.

R.

Mutantdale
20-05-2006, 08:47
Thats it I want one......... Dammit why does something this nice have to be loyalist.
definatly the best version of the emperor i have seen so far is you client wanting this to be unique to him or will we be able to get our grubby paws on one.

MD

Lord of Skulls
20-05-2006, 09:10
It's just not for sale. What's the point of making one-off models if they're no longer one-offs?

Probably not...

Edit: Oh, and Hortwerth, like I said earlier, Excellent work! ;)

KnightofUltramar
20-05-2006, 19:32
are you going to make Roboute Guiliman too? I'd love to see that model

Brush your teeth
20-05-2006, 20:16
BTW, the next Primarch I'll be making after the Emperor for this client will be Sanguinius.

will you be making multiple castings of these models, and will second castings cost less?

just because a sanguinius model would be a nice display peice to go with my blood angels but i have a lack in funds for $400-$600 for one model

The Judge
20-05-2006, 21:20
He won't be making any more of them for guys like us, more's the pity.

MicroArt Studios sell stuff though... would it be possible to get some models that look a lot like Primarchs and get them on the site for general sale? Not necessarily the Emperor, but sculpting that fine deserves to be shared.

Liam
20-05-2006, 22:09
afaik that would be a copywrite infringment, ppl can only do commissions i think not sell GW based stuff without a license (thats why they sell bases, not warhammer 40k bases if u get what i mean)

@Hortwerth: Excellent scuplting!!

||-MARKO-||
21-05-2006, 11:44
all looks good. i cant wait to see the sanguinius sculpt, will he be made viewable on the P&T boards like the emp?

Hortwerth
22-05-2006, 09:53
He won't be making any more of them for guys like us, more's the pity.

MicroArt Studios sell stuff though... would it be possible to get some models that look a lot like Primarchs and get them on the site for general sale? Not necessarily the Emperor, but sculpting that fine deserves to be shared.

I thought of making some pretty generic-looking "uberheroes", if you get what I mean, at some point in the future. Something like 35-40mm tall, with sculpted and detailed armour of some sorts, without backpack (but with the back sculpted so that you can fit any sort of backpack later on).

Priced at an affordable level (up to 20-30€)

If I get a positive feedback on this idea, I might consider doing it sooner rather than later.

Lady Hope
22-05-2006, 10:36
Great work Hortwerth, like everyone else I can't wait to see this mini painted. I have a question though, could you take a picture of the Emperor beside another miniature or something, so that I can get a proper idea of the size? See just how small your sculpts acctually are... :)

last_chancer
22-05-2006, 10:47

P.S: What scale is He, 40K or Inq?
Did you think of converting the balrog's sword, or just wanting to keep it unique?

Suicide Messiah
22-05-2006, 11:47
He looks awesome! this is easily the best emperor model out there (i may have already siad that, but i cant be arsed to check). I also think the generic 'uberheros' idea is really good. Lord knows that most SM characters look a bit underwhelming, id certainly be tempted.

Hortwerth
25-05-2006, 09:10
Hi folks,

with the approval of the client on the pose I started painting the Emperor.

I asked Jacek and he agreed - we're making a step-by-step painting documentary! After every layer of paint or wash, or blending of specific colours, there will be pics taken!

My painting style is rather messy in progress, I tend to tidy it up only in the last stages of painting. I just cannot force myself to paint one area to the finish at a time as some GD winners seem to do, hence on some pics the model may look like a pile of ****. You have been warned. :)

Let the pic speak for itself

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/3857/paintingwip167vz.jpg

pobolycwm
25-05-2006, 10:01
lovely bit of painting chap

i suppose a 2500 point ig army would be way out of my price range :)

Still learning
25-05-2006, 10:04
Oh My God..

Eisenhorn
25-05-2006, 10:46
You my friend is a God

Btw i learnd a lot from your step by step pics.

ZAChos
25-05-2006, 11:16
Me love you long time!

Reign in Blood
25-05-2006, 11:51
I have failed to find words to describe the greatness of this. I was really hoping that you would have started painting by the time I had gotton to the end of the thread. It was getting pretty scary in those last few pages, but you pulled through. Thanks mate and GREAT work again.

RiB

KayvaanShrike
25-05-2006, 13:05
Awesome painting Hortwerth. Are you painting it NMM then? Since there is no hint of any metallic yet. Its looks really good, picks out the detail of this model really well.

Cheatah
25-05-2006, 13:11

just :eek:

The Judge
25-05-2006, 16:20
No... I need more pics! Paint faster!

While maintaining the absurdly good quality, of course.

last_chancer
25-05-2006, 19:45

just :eek:I couldn't have put it better myself...

That paint jobbie of yours is abso-**********-lutely SPOT ON... (so far, anyway...)

Here's to keeping the Faith (in more ways than one!)...

FDG
25-05-2006, 22:32
I thought of making some pretty generic-looking "uberheroes", if you get what I mean, at some point in the future. Something like 35-40mm tall, with sculpted and detailed armour of some sorts, without backpack (but with the back sculpted so that you can fit any sort of backpack later on).

Priced at an affordable level (up to 20-30€)

If I get a positive feedback on this idea, I might consider doing it sooner rather than later.

Hi there, i love the idea of those uberheroes !! man that would be so awesome!!

Also im loving your emperror!! man your client must be the happiest man on the world when he gets that package =)

Keep up the good work and hope to see the uberheroes soon in the store!

tzeentchgiant
25-05-2006, 22:48
Very cool, and as I see you viewing this thread at the moment I've got my fingers crossed for another update :p.

To put it simply: sweet.

TG

Hortwerth
25-05-2006, 23:05
It's NMM of course. (Non Metallic Metal for those who haven't heard this acronyme)

Been painting 11.00-21.30 today, but I have several other commissions going on and had to push another one forward as much as I could.

So, today just a quick lick of Blazing Orange over the brown and yellow border, plus over some brown areas and over the top of the flame. I also marked the swords edge through the flame with it.

Plus an all-round pic for you.
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/302/26maypaintingwipmix2wy.jpg

On another note, for my Ad Mech army I'm making a Mars pattern Basilisk out of M110 A2 and lots of cardboard, and I'm to make 869 rivets on its armour.

869!

869 1mm holes, put a bit of 1mm tin wire inside each one, dremel it flat...

Orcdom
25-05-2006, 23:13
sick, just sick, awesome, just awesome.

Steve

Cheatah
25-05-2006, 23:16
:eek: yet again

Hortwerth
25-05-2006, 23:21
And just that you understand, it's still very WIP. To support this statement, I give you a full-size pic so that you can see all the brushstrokes and blotches.

Every flat area will have a seamless blending but for the uppermost highlight when finished.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/2577/p10100187ua.jpg

ZAChos
25-05-2006, 23:43
You big showoff you...

whiteshields1830
25-05-2006, 23:53
Just out of curiosity, how much is the client paying for him?

Hortwerth
25-05-2006, 23:57
Just out of curiosity, how much is the client paying for him?

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=687280&postcount=143

Scorpio
26-05-2006, 02:42
Awesome.....Just plain Awesome:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

-Scorpio

last_chancer
26-05-2006, 08:11
It's NMM of course. (Non Metallic Metal for those who haven't heard this acronyme)

Strange... I always thought it was National Maritime Museum...:rolleyes:

(Of course, me being a SE londoner, I WOULD say that!):D

KayvaanShrike
26-05-2006, 10:28
Still absolutely stunning work Hortwerth!! Keep it up!!

Christine
26-05-2006, 11:43
Oh wow he just keeps on getting better and better doesn't he!

You sir are a God amongst mere mortals!

The Judge
28-05-2006, 20:09
Thought that was the character... nah, that's correct.

HPD_Andy
28-05-2006, 21:30
Love watching the build up of color. Looking good.

Warboss Garfang
29-05-2006, 02:53
Every cent that guy is spending is worth it, your painting and modeling is simply incredible Hortwerth. You never cease to amaze me.

Still learning
29-05-2006, 11:34
yes, go Howtwerth. i love you style of painting. can't wait to see more.

one request is

pls pls pls make a thread for you tank pls pls

Hortwerth
29-05-2006, 22:06
one request is

pls pls pls make a thread for you tank pls pls

You mean a Land raider? I want to have 3 at some point, so it's possible. However, I'm stuffed with other models, and the AdMech army gives me much more joy than expected - I will hold with my Dark Angels at least until they get a proper Dex, this edition or the next!

I have two more stages of Emperor painting on my pendrive, but the last was a Scorched Brown wash on Friday and I fear it'll look too dark and blotchy...

KayvaanShrike
29-05-2006, 23:03
Cool, get them loaded on here for us mortals too view!!:p

Hortwerth
30-05-2006, 09:46
Hi folks.

I finally uploaded the two stages from Friday, after having to restart my computer twice while editing the pics - explorer kept getting lost in its own windows :eyebrows:

Anyways, this pic is nearly 1Mb so any further stages would either be on their own, or the first few will be cut out from the pic.

I'm afraid your scrollwheel finger may be sore...

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/6521/paintingwip191wz.jpg

plasmadaemon
30-05-2006, 10:26
That's my recipe for gold, you... ! :P

Oh, since this is my first post here, I'd like to congratulate you on making this amazing model, I shall now sacrifice a goat to keep me from having a heart attack. One major fact I don't like about him though is that he isn't bulky enough, he looks like some anorexic freak strapped in blinged-up shiny cardboard armour. But that's just me- I like heavy and duty looking armour.

Anywho, can't wait until you finish painting him, er, god? ;)

Mojaco
30-05-2006, 12:33
Still awesome. One of the few logs I actually follow.

Almost_Famous
30-05-2006, 17:33
Holy God.... whatever that guy is paying you for this, it isn't nearly enough....

wow.

Scorpio
30-05-2006, 17:59
Holy God....

Most gods are holy:p
Looking incredible as always Hortwerth!:D

-Scorpio

Despoiler
30-05-2006, 20:32
Most gods are holy:p

you can also have unholy gods

and also generic gods who could be evil or good depending on the ambient room temperture.

anyway back to the topic at hand.
tutorials great i will try it out on a random spare model (probably a guardsman... seem to have alot of them hanging about).

emperor coming on a treat...fantastic even.

KayvaanShrike
30-05-2006, 22:55
Looking good as ever!!! My jaw keeps hitting the floor I look at this, its kinda gettin sore

Deadleyheadley
30-05-2006, 23:12
All i can say is that its out of this world ,your skills are secound to none :)

The Judge
31-05-2006, 14:40
Very nice indeed.... but what colour is the finished sword going to be?

spikedog
31-05-2006, 15:16
Wow, just simply wow.

I have only just started reading this thread and honestly it almost made me cry. You sir have produced an incredible work of art and I applaud you.

Arch Magos Metolli
31-05-2006, 19:26
:eek: Ok......erm......(falls on floor with a loud thud then gets back up):eek: thats ********** gorgeous nothing else that i can say. Im doing something similar. Im going to make all the known primarchs, which is hard enough. Also i would like to say well done mate thats awesome. I love the NMM gold and i was wondering wether you could send me instructions on how to do it as it will come in use when i get round to painting sanguinius and rogal dorn.

Hortwerth
31-05-2006, 23:38
Very nice indeed.... but what colour is the finished sword going to be?

Depending on what client deems more appropriate, some dark silver NMM or burning red NMM.

I love the NMM gold and i was wondering wether you could send me instructions on how to do it as it will come in use when i get round to painting sanguinius and rogal dorn.

These pics should really be enough. My only advice other than that would be to use diluted paint, don't fear washes, and that NMM is only when there's high contrast involved.

The Judge
01-06-2006, 15:02
I think a dark silver would be best for the contrast... we'll have to wait and see.

L-Train
01-06-2006, 15:57
Wow... I just read through 21 pages of this... amazing...

immortal99
01-06-2006, 18:54
Looks like the Emperors been done before: http://demonwinner.free.fr/spain/2004/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=1 If I may say so i think i prefer the Golden Demon one... Partly because of the different painting stlye but mainly becuase of the pose so you shouldn't be offended - your client should for choosing the pose!

Suicide Messiah
01-06-2006, 20:35
How the hell did AllanC come second there?!!

I prefer Hortwerths version. That demon one looks a little awkward. Plus, Hortwerths is more original.

Still think he should have used real metal paints though.;)

Hortwerth
01-06-2006, 21:06
Pah! It's not even an Emperor! It's some Emperador! :wtf: ;)

I saw it before. Although the painting is great, I don't like the awkwardly large shoulders, short legs and enormous shoulder eagle.

Also, all the detail seems cramped one over another to me - it lacks shaprness.

It's a great model, but it doesn't make me go "Doh! I cannot do better, so let's not even try!"

Scorpio
01-06-2006, 21:12
To me at least it looks like he has dice on his back:p
He is good but his sword isnt long enough although the paint scheme for the sword looks really cool.

-Scorpio

Hortwerth
01-06-2006, 21:25
Yep, forgot to add that, the sword really got me thinking. Something like this would be nice.

immortal99
02-06-2006, 07:53
Now it doesn't look as good any more that you've pointed all those things out... Ah well - I'm probably going to prefer yours now. But I think i've realised what I liked about the emperador - the face looks exactly like the emperor's one on the horus heresy poster.

Hortwerth
02-06-2006, 09:23
Now that's a hard one to me, as the faces are my weak spot when it comes to sculpting. *Sigh* Have to do with what I got.

immortal99
02-06-2006, 09:32
Faces I find very hard to when drawing (or making them look like the person) - sculpting is harder to do well so how you can sculpt that much detail into a very small space is amazing - Its not suprising you can't achieve the exact look.

Hortwerth
02-06-2006, 09:49
It's hard, but that's not the point. There are sculptors that can define a face with 3 touches of a modelling tool and then fiddle with it for 5 min and it looks like a real person - it has some character, expression, some life in it.

I struggle really hard to get an inch closer to this effect and all my attempts seem a bit dull, without the spark of life.

Now Cyborg models on the other hand I presume I could make look amazing ;)

immortal99
02-06-2006, 10:08
There you go then! Make your own servitors... And sell them! Heh, if they look any better than the GW ones (which I've decided I don't like now...)

The Judge
02-06-2006, 12:13
Seriously, that sword is just what you should be going for... if only the buyer hadn't requested a load of flames all over it! They'll have to be worked into the colour scheme somehow...

Despoiler
02-06-2006, 19:54
even with the flames on the sword with that colour scheme would still work.
simply change the angle so the white edge is on the flameless edge instead of the point of the sword and work up into the flames.

note this could reasult in the sword looking as if its made of flames rather than looking on fire.

but still it could work.

The Judge
04-06-2006, 19:23
A sword made of flames is still pretty sweet.

Alex_H
11-06-2006, 18:28
What is happening here? Any progress?

Scorpio
11-06-2006, 19:10
That other emperor seems more like a primarch to me. But I still love the sword.

-Scorpio

Hortwerth
11-06-2006, 22:19
What is happening here? Any progress?

Had another project or three... four actually. The client is not e-mailing asking about progress, so I put it on a backburner.

Also had my birthday on the 8th, and a party on 10th. Hangover and such.

The news is, I now got another Emperor sculpting commission from a totally different client.

They're growing like mushrooms after rain around here...

KayvaanShrike
11-06-2006, 22:35
Oooo so could we see this one as it progresses?

Hortwerth
12-06-2006, 00:29
Oooo so could we see this one as it progresses?

I'm trying to make it all of fimo (the thermo-hardening putty), and our photo taking place is quite warm with all the lights on. I tried putting the mass under a lightbulb to speed up the mixing process, and the heat proved too much and it hardened a bit and became brittle. I'd like some pics taken when I have progressed more in sculpting, but I'll have to talk with Jacek on the photographing with minimal heat involved.

Still learning
12-06-2006, 02:38
happy b'day hortwerth. :) take your time and don't rush.

are you going to make another thread about the other emperor project?

Scorpio
12-06-2006, 02:53
Oh god...Another Emperor from you? My jaw is still hurting from the first one.;)
Sounds like we get another awe-inspiring model.

-Scorpio

Hortwerth
12-06-2006, 08:21
I'll take my time :)

The second Emperor will be less refined (I'm afraid), as the client just wants something "similar" to the pics he'd seen (of the first one), but doesn't care for the pose - he only wants it to be on 40mm base and playable.

I'm making it shorter - about 5mm shorter; still some 5mm taller than Marines, but I hope I'll get around the anorectic look with this.

Pose will be pointing with the claw, with the sword low and easy to the side/back, no standing on a rock - suited for more flat base.

KayvaanShrike
12-06-2006, 12:47
Sounds promising Hortwerth. Oh yeah an Happy Birthday.

Rabid Bunny 666
12-06-2006, 13:35
Happy birthday dude, why not use a cast of the first one?

Hortwerth
12-06-2006, 17:45
Happy birthday dude, why not use a cast of the first one?

Because.

I may use the loinstraps bit and/or shoulderpads, but that's all.

tzeentchgiant
12-06-2006, 18:05
Happy Birthday, I notice I'm not the first, but still, hope you're having a nice day :).

TG

ShadowHawk
12-06-2006, 20:47
I just found this thread.... and wow, i'm speechless

Congratulations Hortwerth you've created something I never could given a lifetime to refine my skills as a painter/modeler

it's your birthday? happy birthday!

Scorpio
12-06-2006, 21:33
Happy birthday indeed Hortwerth:D

-Scorpio

||-MARKO-||
14-06-2006, 20:28
happy bithday man, buy a drink for yourself for that. also, check out the horus heresy illustrations. ive got a nice big poster with the emperrror fighting horus, and the pose of the emp rocks.

happy birthday anway *snatches cake and runs like hell*

Ancientsociety
14-06-2006, 21:28
Happy b-day and absolutely beautiful work!

Hortwerth
15-06-2006, 07:27
happy bithday man, buy a drink for yourself for that. also, check out the horus heresy illustrations. ive got a nice big poster with the emperrror fighting horus, and the pose of the emp rocks.

happy birthday anway *snatches cake and runs like hell*

Thanks.

I have 2 of these posters, one in home, the other in front of my workdesk at MAS. I also have the HHv.1 and most of the Emperor pics from the others.

The problem with the pose from the poster is that it has been already beaten to death.

Mortare
18-06-2006, 10:46
Any progress to show us?

Hortwerth
18-06-2006, 21:21
Any progress to show us?

Nope, sorry.

I'd taken a 4-day vacation and spent a lovely sailing weekend with my fiancee.

On the work subject, I've been quite busy finishing the Iron Brotherhood and preparing them for re-moulding for production. All should be well now so expect them soon. I also finished a small tracked chassis for later Iron Brotherhood projects like Ogryn-like and Cavalry-like models, plus possibly as a heavy weapon mount.

I'll try to get a coat of paint or two at the beginning of this week to thank you for waiting!

You guys really make me want to continue this project.

Norminator
18-06-2006, 21:25
I hope you enjoyed the holiday Hortwerth! Although I'd like to see this finished, it's pointless to rush it.

Hortwerth
20-06-2006, 18:42
Ok, so I painted the Emperor a bit today. Worth of two photo stages, plus what you've been asking at some point: a size comparison.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5196/paintingwip3110ik.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8860/sizecomparison2kk.jpg

Destris
20-06-2006, 18:59
WOW. Your painting skills are amazing, keep up the good work. Im going to pee myself when i see this finished.. :p

nice size/scale as well btw.

Inquisitor lorr
20-06-2006, 19:02
Wow-that is incredible,its wierd how all of a sudden it goes from Meh to absolute amazing.The models you used for comparison are very cool as well

plasmadaemon
20-06-2006, 19:09
Hehe, the details are so small you can't even paint them properly :D

Awesome.

Norminator
20-06-2006, 19:33
Awesome Hortwerth, just awesome. Reminds me why I love this hobby :D

Still learning
21-06-2006, 00:40
dam hortwerth, you make i look so easy. allow me to be the first on my knees bowing at you godly painting skills:p

Scorpio
21-06-2006, 02:44
Whos that standing next to the emperor in the last pic?
As always Hortwerth your work amazes everyone.

-Scorpio

Hortwerth
21-06-2006, 08:23
Whos that standing next to the emperor in the last pic?
-Scorpio

That's the Emperor's Champion. This model is all magnetised, with selection of weapons and backpacks. He should fit 3 armies in total, and was commissioned by The Client's brother, so I find it fitting next to the Emperor.

Still learning
21-06-2006, 08:41
Hortwerth could we get some pics of the 2 models you posed with the emperor? pls pls pls. i really like them. maybe you could creat a new thread and just post a few pics, thanks in advance.

Hortwerth
21-06-2006, 09:27
Hortwerth could we get some pics of the 2 models you posed with the emperor? pls pls pls. i really like them. maybe you could creat a new thread and just post a few pics, thanks in advance.

It's not worth to start a new thread on them. I'll start a new one for the full 13th Co pack when I have their pics, as of now the "teaser" SW of the Thunderstruck's Storm Claws pack (3rd unit for The Client. The previous were Bloodmane's and Howler's Grey Hunters (?) packs), a 13-model unit with Wolf Guard with magnetised arms (all weapons possible), plus two guys with magnetised Power fist/Power weapon/Close combat weapon and Bolt/Plasma pistols.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6991/steaser5mf.jpg

And some WIP pics of the Emperor's Champion. Note the spear got replaced by the bolter-halberd, plus there are some rose motiffs on the tabard on the newer photos.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9113/ecwipcompilation5cw.jpg

Still learning
21-06-2006, 09:37
:eek: :eek: :eek:

your painting skills can be sumed up in the following phrase:

God < Hortwerth

KayvaanShrike
21-06-2006, 10:04
Hortwerth those are absolutely awesome, I can't even say how good they are, there is no word for it!!!

wally
21-06-2006, 18:12
are the wings scratch built?
what kind of magnets do u use
and where do u live so i can come eat your brain and absorb your skill