PDA

View Full Version : Slave giant is it worth the points

Darth ryanus
22-02-2011, 09:28
I really want to include a slavegiant in my 2500point ogre army but just cant decide if its worth it. I will be playing in a campaign that will be quite competative (i know if i want to be competative i should not use ogres) so i dont want to waste points on a weak choice.
Known armies in the campaign are 2-3 Deamons,1 dwarf,1 orc and a skaven.

narrativium
22-02-2011, 12:28
I've used a Slavegiant a few times. It tends to attract a lot of firepower, possibly because it's unpredictable in combat (having both the ability to win a combat regardless of the combat resolution the opposing unit can muster, and the ability to fall on enemy models and kill them when it dies), and this buys time for the rest of your units to get into combat.

However - one isn't really enough, and you're probably better off adding more models to your core units, or buying a scraplauncher. But TWO Slavegiants, kept together and pointed at the same targets - that's a formidable force worth considering.

Memnos
22-02-2011, 12:32
I agree with the previous poster's assessment:

2 Slavegiants are double the chance of Yell and Bawl, double the chance of Jump Up and Down and 2d6 Thunderstomp hits at S6. For less than the cost of a single unit on their side, you have a group that could potentially cause 6d6S6 hits/turn. That's enough to wipe out nearly any unit in 2 turns.

Just make sure to hit them in the flanks.

danny-d-b
22-02-2011, 12:48
the main thing is unlike other giant they don't have stubbon, so if you start loseing combats then there going to possibly run away, and well that could be bad if fall over and land on other troops

morglumnecksnapper
22-02-2011, 13:04
I think they´r too unsable and run faar to easy, good as support and cannon soaker though =)

Morkash
22-02-2011, 15:52
Another good thing about Slave Giants is, that you can include a Giantbreaker Tyrant, preferably with Sword of Swift Slaying, Enchanted Shield and Talisman of Preservation. Nasty.

decker_cky
22-02-2011, 16:11
With thunderstomp...that lack of stubborn is a lot less troublesome. Just be sure to pick your battles.

SevenSins
22-02-2011, 17:39
2 giants would indeed be best, and another fun tyrant is with sword of striking and giantbreaker (S6 and hits many on 2+)

Malorian
22-02-2011, 18:43
With thunderstomp...that lack of stubborn is a lot less troublesome. Just be sure to pick your battles.

Good point. They certainly lose a lot less often.

I feel they are best paired with a large unit of gnoblars.

Tie them up with the gnoblars or dual charge, and when you line up to maximize frontage it will mean the giant is on the end and not taking many return attacks.

Gnoblars take away steadfast and the giant gives you the kills for the win.

muse1c
23-02-2011, 12:08
Personally I find that a Scraplauncher is must better in 2k or below. However, in 3k and up a Slavegiant and a deep Gnoblar unit can vause some problems, as can two Giants. Plus if you are facing dwarves and skaven, then the s3 Killing Blow large template of the Scraplauncher would probably do pretty well tbh.
Overall, I think the lack of stubborn justifies not taking them, also whenever I've taken one its taken a cannonball to the face turn 1, or simply fled from combat.