PDA

View Full Version : Slan forced into 2 rank, Saurus unit

morglumnecksnapper
22-02-2011, 12:36
a 5 wide unit with full command and 2 scarveterans Filling up the front row.

Now what happens if I place a slan into that unit?

Iīm just quoting the army book here,
Quote:
"If the slan joins any other unit than Temple Guards, itīs placed in the front rank as normal"

Quote:
"When joined to a unit of temple guard. A Slan is always placed in the within the second rank"

I think this states that heīs placed exactly like a normal character if you place him in a saurus unit. And if you place him like a normal character he can be forced back like any normal character, whatīs your opinion on this matter?

/Morglumnecksnapper

Ultimate Life Form
22-02-2011, 13:07
The Slann only enjoys his privileges in the Temple Guard unit. In any other unit, he's just a normal character and is kicked to the front by his bodyguard. :wtf:

The whole thing would have been far more unambiguous without the first quote, but as usual GW felt the need to explain the perfectly normal standard procedure again, thereby making it sound somehow... not standard, which of course can confuse people. So, yes... he'll have to retreat to the second rank.

Chiungalla
22-02-2011, 13:15
The good thing is that they added the "as normal" to the quote, without that it would be really wired.

morglumnecksnapper
22-02-2011, 13:23
Nice, well then I'm asking since I've met Ogre Kingdom players putting heroes in the second row due to the fact that the command unit has to be in the front.

If the slan acts like a normal hero, if you fill the first row of units with heroes or command models, would I be able to force the slan back to the 2 row.

An Example in a unit of 5 Scarvererans 20 saurus and 1 Slan, 5 wide and 5 deep.
In combat, would the Slan force 2 scarveterans out of the combat back to the 2 row so the slan can fight or would the player choose wich heroes he wants to put in fighting row?

/Morglumnecksnapper

Ultimate Life Form
22-02-2011, 13:24
The player chooses which models are placed in the second rank.

morglumnecksnapper
22-02-2011, 13:26
The good thing is that they added the "as normal" to the quote, without that it would be really wired.

Im sorry might have misunderstood you, but I didnīt add anything to the quote just made a citation out of a paragraph in the book.

/Moglumnecksnapper

T10
22-02-2011, 13:37
"They" are not "you".

-T10

morglumnecksnapper
22-02-2011, 13:40
Thanks for the quick response, thatīs the thing I was after.

Now just quoting the exact wording from the Army book again.

In battle the slann mage-priest rides upon his floating stone palanquin, and is often accompanied by the utterly resolute Saurus Temple Guard. The Temple Guard from a solid block of reptilian sinew through which an enemy wishing to attack the Slann Mage-Priest must first fight. When joined to a unit of Temple Guard, a Slann is always placed within the second rank. See page 41 for further details of how to handle this. A Slann placed in the second rank may still act as normal (he may cast spells, use magic items, act as a general, army banner bearer etc). The palanquin allows it to float up to cast its powerfull magic before dropping back down within the protection of the unit.(fluff fluff). In addition, as long as the Slann has no enemy in base-to-base contact, it may still cast magic missiles even if his unit is engaged in close combat.

Do the emboldened piece of text makes the previous example say that atleast RAW, the Slann forced back into the 2 row gain the advantages of the palanquin?

/Morglumnecksnapper

Tregar
22-02-2011, 14:21
No. You cannot ignore the context, and the context of the bold part is that a Slann joined to a unit of Temple Guard and placed in the second rank may still do all that.

In effect, thanks to 8th edition rules, the only difference is that a Slann in the 2nd rank of a regular unit can't cast magic missiles when his unit is in combat.

morglumnecksnapper
23-02-2011, 08:35
"Now for the Guardians rule. It is a 9 sentence long paragraph. There is a lot of stuff in there. You can call it a loophole all you want, but in the last sentence where it details him joining any other unit it does not contain any caveat about him losing all those abilities just mentioned just because he is not with Temple Guard. It only mentions the rank placement. If Guardians was only meant for Temple Guard then why not place it under Sacred Duty not the Slann?"

venomx51
23-02-2011, 11:49
No. You cannot ignore the context, and the context of the bold part is that a Slann joined to a unit of Temple Guard and placed in the second rank may still do all that.

In effect, thanks to 8th edition rules, the only difference is that a Slann in the 2nd rank of a regular unit can't cast magic missiles when his unit is in combat.
He can still float up on his Palanquin and blast a fire ball in someone's face regardless of whether the 2 guys in front of him are Saurus Warriors or Temple Guard...

tmarichards
23-02-2011, 20:32
There's no caveat on him being in the second rank of Temple Guard in order to use that ability. If you can get him into the second rank of saurus, go for it.