PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma regarding GW customer service

BobtheInquisitor
23-02-2011, 01:24
First of all, this is not a complaint about GW's service. Their service was great.
Let me explain:

I bought some dwarf miners recently, but the plastic was all crumbly. I assembled a few models, but every time I tried to clean the mold lines, chunks would fall out of the model. It reminded me of Shawshank Redemption and the scene where Andy scraped the wall a bit and a chunk of rock just falls out. It was like that. This left my bare-armed miners with a bad case of meth skin. I'm not even making miners from the new box, but rather converting some runesmiths, engineers, a flamethrower dwarf and dwarf swordsmen, so the quality needs to be somewhat high. I couldn't stand to make more than three dwarfs (and the pony for my wife) before I became too frustrated to continue. So I called up GW and got a replacement box.

Now, the problem is that I'm not a player but a modeller, so I have no use for the old, crappy box of miners. I was thinking of giving them away, but it makes me feel like I'd be ripping GW off of a sale and I'm just not comfortable with it. I might try to take a few bits that can look run down (like the picks) off the sprues and trash the rest, but that seems like a waste. What do you guys recommend?

Hellebore
23-02-2011, 01:29
Put them together and purposefully crumble them. Then paint them like they're made of stone.

Stone golem ancestor spirit regiment of vengeance at your service.

Hellebore

Reinholt
23-02-2011, 01:44
Do you make terrain?

Statues and ruins, if so.

BobtheInquisitor
23-02-2011, 03:52
Those are some great ideas! I can use the banner poles on some pedestals and use my BfSP terrain for extra depth. I might also give a couple to some of my friends who want to paint models but don't own any. It might even generate a sale for GW...

I guess I'll need to come up with a name for my dwarf hold. "Karag Grimdrak"?

tu33y
23-02-2011, 09:11
Put them together and purposefully crumble them. Then paint them like they're made of stone.

Stone golem ancestor spirit regiment of vengeance at your service.

Hellebore

genius. they might look cool painted like the green "army of the dead" LotR models

enyoss
24-02-2011, 00:04

Pretty impressive answer :).

Grimstonefire
24-02-2011, 00:06
If the crumbling is over every model it's actually an effect that some people would want. They could be sold imo, as long as people knew exactly what it was they were buying.

Hellebore
24-02-2011, 01:40
Pretty impressive answer :).

Well my favourite part of the hobby was conversion and modelling before the prices were too high to stomach. I found it like exploring the background in physical form, until it too started getting too absurd to stomach.

Hellebore

BobtheInquisitor
24-02-2011, 05:22
If the crumbling is over every model it's actually an effect that some people would want. They could be sold imo, as long as people knew exactly what it was they were buying.

It's probably not regular or predictable enough. It only happens where I clean the model, like on mold lines. I suppose you could scrape the whole model with the knife, but then you'd lose a lot of detail and there's no guarantee you'd like the result. Also, on some sections, it comes out in chunks and on others it comes out as flakes or leaves bubble-like indentations. I'm not sure that it look likes stone.

But I'll try to make it work because I like the suggestion.

Grimmeth
24-02-2011, 07:01
I think with some purposeful 'crumbling' and a quick grey paintjob they'd make some awesome statues.
Give it a go and post some pictures?

Hellebore
24-02-2011, 08:12
You could use texture paint on them as an undercoat. Just make sure to get a really fine one so the sand grains don't stand out too much.

Hellebore

BobtheInquisitor
25-02-2011, 23:20
I've got some fine sand that will work. I think I'll make a few into scenery/stone golems and give the rest to my friends to paint up. I don't really need 20 miner statues and some of my friends want something to paint that they don't have to pay for or assemble.