PDA

View Full Version : Outriders vs handgunners

Creeser
23-02-2011, 17:27
I have a decision to make. I need some fire support to my empire army and cant decide between outriders and handgunners. I allready have unit of pistoliers, so no need for those.

5 outriders can make 15 handgunners in firepower. Are more mobile and have vanguard movement, so they can get where they are wanted before first turn.

Handgunners (about 12), the unit cannot be neutralized as easy as outriders. They can also provide small bunker for wizards (i have lvl4 shadow and lvl 2 beast) But they are not as accurate, because they are usualy long way from enemy.

Your opinions?

Morkash
23-02-2011, 17:34
I'd vote for the Outriders for various reasons:
1.) Most important: They have awesome models.
2.) As you said, they are very mobile and can shoot down warmachines for example.
3.) You can give the Champion a Hochland Long Rifle. Very effective in the hands of a BS 5 model, and quite cheap!

KimikoPT
23-02-2011, 18:24
I'd vote for the Outriders for various reasons:
1.) Most important: They have awesome models.
2.) As you said, they are very mobile and can shoot down warmachines for example.
3.) You can give the Champion a Hochland Long Rifle. Very effective in the hands of a BS 5 model, and quite cheap!

1- Agree.
2- Not very mobile. Remember that they are move-or-fire. For mobility get pistoliers.
3- Its true, but its expensive and not very efective anymore. And remember that most of the characters normally have a ward save or good armor now.
4- See the discussion about this in the tactica thread :)

decker_cky
23-02-2011, 19:58
IMO, outriders oddly enough get better as you make them bigger because of the magical boosts you can give them.

Private_SeeD
24-02-2011, 00:09
Im in the same boat, till I talked to the manager of my LGW and decided on Outriders (even thou my GF and her little sister made Pistoliers when I was away on work) My plan for my Outriders I'll have 10 so that 30 AP shots, I will be to sacrifice them, use there vanguard rule to move within 12 of something nasty and just hope to kill the target, if they don't destroy it or get charged they can always flee back to my line and I can either shot the charging unit or counter charge them.