PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Annomoly

da big mek
24-02-2011, 04:41
Dear All,

I recently had something very interesting happen to me and I wanted to see if I was unique or if it happens all the time.
I emailed forge world about a very tardy order and they said that they would dispatch a replacement via UPS. In the intervening time the original order arrived via regular mail. The end result is that I have duplicate of my order.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Scaryscarymushroom
24-02-2011, 04:49
Lucky. Keep the stuff and don't tell them. :p

I had an experience years ago with the packing trolls at regular GW. I ordered 2 sisters of battle with heavy bolters and 2 sisters with heavy flamers. They sent me 2 ordinary packages of heavy bolters, and 2 heavy bolters that had been mislabeled as heavy flamers. I called and complained and they said they would send me my heavy flamers. So they sent me 2 more heavy bolters. And I called again. And they did it again.

The fourth time around, they fixed their labeling mistake. End result? I got 8 heavy bolters and 2 heavy flamers. I paid for 2 of each. And that's how I got my first army.

Sildani
24-02-2011, 05:15
My very first order with FW, ordered the then-new Void Dragon Phoenix. Hadn't arrived two months later, so I had another one sent to me via Express Air for free. Got it within two weeks. The first one arrived two weeks later. Now, I'm waiting for my second Falcon II conversion kit, since it's been six weeks since I ordered it. At least FW tries!

dingareth
24-02-2011, 05:38
All I've had is parts missing from my order- ie a heavy weapons team being shipped separately 2 weeks after the rest of the order. When the replacement for the "missing" team arrived in the US before the "real" one had been shipped from the UK....

I don't know what sort of system they use, but something tells me it's not the most reliable.

Sharkydave
24-02-2011, 06:49
And people wonder why Forgeworld stuff is so expensive. Just read a few stories like this, which don't seem to be uncommon, and it all makes sense. The bad part is, by keeping duplicate items you're probably just making the situation worse.

Simo429
24-02-2011, 06:50
Happens all the time, one of my models arrived broke, I rang up and told them and they sent me the whole pack again.

Dvora
24-02-2011, 07:11
Hmm, I've waited twenty days on mine..wonder if I should call them yet or not.

bork da basher
24-02-2011, 07:37
And people wonder why Forgeworld stuff is so expensive. Just read a few stories like this, which don't seem to be uncommon, and it all makes sense. The bad part is, by keeping duplicate items you're probably just making the situation worse

it makes no differance, their prices are sky high because they can charge that much...the resin they use is fairly low quality, the casting is subpar and whilst the minis do look amazing...world class amazing they churn them out quick n cheap and make a bundle doing so. most of the time its due to forgeworlds own error anyway so why should anyone be inclined to spend money posting an item back to them if they have waited weeks for their own order to arrive or if its damaged in some way. if you get duplicate items its a perk and maybe just maybe you got your moneys worth this way ;)

ive never had a forgeworld order i was happy with, air bubbles, warped this n that, TONNES of flash and big gaps/mold lines. their customer service always sorted me out to their credit but if they took some kind of care in what they produce they could avoid this happening.

i produce resin minis myself and check each order carefully as it goes out. never once in 3 years have i had a customer come back and say something suffered from any of the above...for the sake of a few seconds to check something they could save alot of money. also for the postage they charge unless its a BIG expensive kit its not any kind of recorded delivery so their cashing in there too. charge a flat postage rate thats insured dependant on cost, charge for it and then when things do go missing (or they say its gone missing as ive known some to do) they have something to fall back on. missing or wrong orders should never be a factor in the overall price of a product. the cost of errors and lost items can be covered to a degree its upto them to implement that.

im sure royal mail is to blame also and god knows ive suffered enough at their hands...their must be alot of gamers in royal mail sorting offices who have huge free armies. on average about 1 in 10 packages never makes it to me.

Spacker
24-02-2011, 09:06
All packages from the UK to the US are being heavily delayed - where I work it's taking over a month, and often around 6 weeks, for parcels sent by DHL Worldwide Express (which is supposed to be a 2 day service to the US!) to be delivered. There are two factors causing this - Homeland Security now requires that *all* parcels are sent via cargo plane rather than in passenger cargo so there are fewer flights with parcels getting into the US and security checks mean that parcels are taking much longer to pass through customs, and the severe weather is also causes huge problems. Royal Mail sends me updates daily at work about delays in overseas mail and for the past few weeks it has pretty much consistently reported that almost nothing is getting out of the New Jersey area which seems to be where most post from the UK enters the US.

Hypaspist
24-02-2011, 09:35
I don't know about international shipping, but as far as I am aware Forgeworld use UPS on contract to handle their UK deliveries.

with regards to sending items out free rather than doing all sorts of back checking, this is not uncommon with firms.

Firstly, you have to consider the work-hours involved in dealing individually with claims, and even with a dedicated customer service team, (who can handle claims competently and en masse) this can still be a costly affair.
In this regard, Forge World have chosen to not pursue claims, and deal immediately with them via replacement. This could be a strategy, or a route enforced by a lack of Traceability on their behalf. (making the whole process rather lengthy)

Secondly is the good-will that is generated through a good customer service experience.

Generally, a customer will remember, not the purchases that arrived as described, but those events that exceeded their expectations.

Good Customer service, often more than product pricing etc, will lead to repeat business as the consumer trusts the supplier.

Forge World could improve their customer service experience, without doubt. But it is far from shabby, and in the majority of ciurcumstance, Customers end up leaving happy, even if their initial experience was less than impressive (because of delayed delivery/poor moulding, etc)

doubleT
24-02-2011, 09:39
Well, I never had a problem with FW orders. To be exact, I once ordered on a Friday and UPS was here monday at 8 in the morning. :yes:

Keep the stuff and don't tell them.
hm ... not sure about things like that.

Deamon-forge
24-02-2011, 09:42
resin is dirt cheap they just over charge....

iv had this happen a few times. no order phoned replacement sent 1st order come in mail few days later then replacement. phoned to say iv got two got told to keep it. so i dont phone any more.

daemonkin
24-02-2011, 09:50
I ordered an Epic reaver titan (weapon option 2). They sent weapon option 1. I rang and complained. They sent a new package and told me to keep their mispacked one. Option 1 pack with option 2 contents arrived. Another call and another dispatched, mispacked option 2. Finally got the one I want (with 3 I didn't want) about 6 weeks later.

Great service, poor quality control.

D.

carnegiebear
24-02-2011, 09:51
resin is dirt cheat they just over charge....

very true, seeing as resin literally grows on trees (well... in trees :shifty: )

by the way why do they use resin instead of other materials? is it that resin is the best type for getting fine details onto models or is there a different reason?

Hendarion
24-02-2011, 09:56
Well, resin is fluid and doesn't need heat. So you can make rubber-moulds without damaging them by using metal. Heated plastic needs pressure or vacuum casts or so which isn't really feasible with rubber moulds.
So basically: Easy to cast with flexible moulds.

AndrewGPaul
24-02-2011, 10:07
I don't know about international shipping, but as far as I am aware Forgeworld use UPS on contract to handle their UK deliveries.

Mine have always been delivered by Royal Mail as far as I can remember.

Bigbot
24-02-2011, 10:08
I ordered a hell blade years ago from them. After 6 weeks (this was when apoc was huge so waiting was the norm), i got my package. It was a deathwing drop pod.

I rang them up and told them. They told me to keep the drop pod and they sent out a replacement anyway. I had it a week later.

since then all the stuff I've ordered has been right and super quick but it's nice to know the little bonuses they give you

Redscare
24-02-2011, 11:04
And people wonder why Forgeworld stuff is so expensive. Just read a few stories like this, which don't seem to be uncommon, and it all makes sense. The bad part is, by keeping duplicate items you're probably just making the situation worse.

Wait, Forgeworld's incompetence at making deliveries make things worse and justifies their prices? If they didn't screw up every other time, situations like these would not happen as much.

I once bought 2 Imperial thunderbolts, waited 1 month+ for them to get here, only to find wrong engine parts for both of them.

Hendarion
24-02-2011, 11:12
Well, their casting and mailing is not the best, but their replacement-service is superb and without any questioning.

Redscare
24-02-2011, 11:34
Well, their casting and mailing is not the best, but their replacement-service is superb and without any questioning.

I don't disagree with that, but what peeves me is that this just seems like backwards logic. If they just get it right the first time it would be much better for both parties. And the day their casting becomes as good as their sculpts, or to say when hell freezes over, I'm sure gamers across the world will rejoice.

Right now they're probably rolling in cash, but they'll be swimming in it if they just made better casts.

Hendarion
24-02-2011, 11:38
If they just get it right the first time it would be much better for both parties.
True, but as long as they replace it at their own costs, I think that is a really good compensation.

eldargal
24-02-2011, 12:04
Not necessarily, they may feel that the expense of sending out replacements kits (with postal insurance I would imagine they would get their money back as well) is smaller than having to take on an extra staffer or two to boost quality assurance.

Redscare
24-02-2011, 12:39
Not necessarily, they may feel that the expense of sending out replacements kits (with postal insurance I would imagine they would get their money back as well) is smaller than having to take on an extra staffer or two to boost quality assurance.

Haha, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case. Why pay for another employee with a real wage when you can simply replace the package which costs nickels and dimes to replace?

I'm sure a lot people don't even realize that resin, and plastic are not expensive in the slightest. A 300$ super heavy tank probably uses 1$ of resin, and that's being generous. Other fields that can even come close to matching that kind of ridiculous production to cost ratio is probably pharmaceuticals products.

Forgeworld is a robbery, but it does without a doubt produces the finest miniatures in the world. I just hope most of their net income are going to the sculptors (which I doubt), god knows they are the only ones who deserve anything in Forgeworld...

kasrkinsquad
24-02-2011, 13:00
Dear All,

I recently had something very interesting happen to me and I wanted to see if I was unique or if it happens all the time.
I emailed forge world about a very tardy order and they said that they would dispatch a replacement via UPS. In the intervening time the original order arrived via regular mail. The end result is that I have duplicate of my order.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Yes I posted about it in the IA10 information thread. The first time they sent an order out via regular mail and not express they just refunded my shipping. The last time it happened FW sent me a new book via UPS for free and told me to keep both books.

They have great customer service but man shipping something out in the method that wasn't selected shouldn't happen this often. However if it means I get an extra copy or my shipping refunded I can't say I mind too much. :evilgrin:

Earthbeard
24-02-2011, 13:15
Aside from the occasional damaged item, forgeworld tend to slightly justify the high shipping costs.

thoughtfoxx
24-02-2011, 13:17
Well when I see Alan Bligh or Simon Egan listed on the top 10 richest list I may concede that they are charging too much for the product. Agreed resin and plastic are dirt cheap, labour is not. Neither are premises costs. No matter which way you cut it, resin casting is a manual and very time consuming process. Their costs are justified, this is a unique niche market product and just because its your drug, its still your choice to buy or not to buy.

Additionally if you don't inform FW of your receipt of double their product and get their express permission to keep the additional model, you have perpetrated fraud and are a thief.

Hendarion
24-02-2011, 13:21
They always give this permission. Probably because they do not have enough employees to hand incoming post of returned items anyway. Cheaper to let the customer keep it.

xxRavenxx
24-02-2011, 14:42

I had missing parts in a necron robo-pede. (Thats its official name. Honest.)

I have tried to contact them via email and phone, 10 times each, minimum. I have never got through on the phone, and my emails are unanswered :)

No idea what I've done to upset them, but clearly its something big :P hehe.

drear
24-02-2011, 15:09
i just wanted to point out that the cost of resin casting is not in the resin itself, as stated that is rather cheap. its in the creation of molds.
depending on the types of molding mterial used, a resin mold will only have a life of a few casts before it becomes useless through wear and tear and the material breaking down.

so the cost of items is in the cost of having to re-make a resin mold, rather than the resin poured into the mold.

now go back to praising fw's amazing free-bees =p

Chem-Dog
24-02-2011, 15:17
I have friends who have had this happen, I haven't personally though :(

johnnyrumour
24-02-2011, 15:29
god knows they are the only ones who deserve anything in Forgeworld...

judging by the rest of this thread I'd assume that the Customer Service guys probably deserve a bit of credit...

DuskRaider
24-02-2011, 16:03
Back when the Death Guard kits first came out, I made an order for 3 Plague Marine kits & 2 Terminator kits. They accidentally sent me the reverse, so I emailed them informing them and was prepared to simply order one more PM kit to make it even. Instead, they told me to simply keep the extra Terminator kits and they still shipped me the PM kit at no cost. Their customer service is actually top notch.

LoneSniperSG
24-02-2011, 19:11
I hate to say that the only experience I've had with their customer service was when I tried ordering something and my card spun out of money the day before they processed it. Got a nice e-mail from them asking what I wanted to do, and I asked them to cancel the order and I would try again when able.

Half of my FW stuff I bought from other people. The rest I ordered myself. The only problem I've got is that my Vanquisher's barre points at the ground, but I think that's because of the way I assembled the turret and not bad casting. The barrel needed to be straightened, sure, but that's an easy fix with hot water.

I was actually suprised at the time it took for me to get my Vanq turret and the detail parts I ordered with it. Only about 3 weeks. I was anticipating 3 months due to demand.