PDA

View Full Version : how to get a friend started with IG.

shrodinger_cat
24-02-2011, 08:54
hi my friend wanted to get started with IG but i have no idea where to point him. i thought maybe getting some second hand models from my local hobby store might be a good base to build on, or maybe just 2 squads and a comand squad to get started .
any ideas?
cheers:D

Shamana
24-02-2011, 09:07
Do you have some buddy who collects IG and can give some of it to your friend for a game or two? That way he can get a feel for the units and decide what he likes :) . After that, I'd say look for some cheaper (2nd hand, probably) stuff at the local club or ebay, maybe a battleforce for their birthday :) ?

shrodinger_cat
24-02-2011, 09:10
thanks for the quick response.
i think there is a few guys down at my local store who have some IG so i could probs chat to them and i think the store has an army to.

Dux
24-02-2011, 09:26
A box or two of guardsmen is never wrong. He can not have enough of them. Im around 60 guardsmen at the moment, with an upward trend.

I would advice reading the fluff/looking at pictures of all the units. That way he can get an idea what units he likes. These units may be a good base to build an army around with some help of experienced players.
Thats how I started with my IG.

Still Standing
24-02-2011, 12:57
Have him throw 500 at a Vostroyan army, like a real man. xD

Bunnahabhain
24-02-2011, 13:35
The ideal start is to borrow a guard force from someone, and see if they like it.

Assuming they do, get a codex and rule book, and make up some trial lists so they get a feeling for how stuff works. Have a poke round ebay or such like, and see if the core of a force can be found cheaply. Most things are reasonably useful, assuming a bit of conversion etc.
Then round out the force with bought bits.

baphomael
24-02-2011, 14:20

I can tell I spend too much time on facebook... I was looking for the 'like' button.

doubleT
24-02-2011, 21:32
maybe just 2 squads and a comand squad to get started.

Uh, you'd need 2 platoons and a hq to get started (compulsory selection). And each platoon has min. 1 command and 2 squads. Or were you talking about a platoon?

Or Elysians, or Death Korps (like me :eyebrows:), ...

Dvora
25-02-2011, 01:28
Honestly, two squads of vets, and an HQ, one lemanruss, one Sentinel. boosh.

Stormfather
25-02-2011, 01:37
The Cadian battleforce comes with 30 troopers (including officers, special, and heavy weapons options) as well as a sentinel. However, the older one (gone for a year or two now) came with the infantry, plus a Leman Russ battletank and a few pieces of terrain, for about the same price. The infantry models are identical; if you can find the old boxed set, unopened, on the net, it's an excellent way to put together a 400-500 point force.

EDIT-

I was mistaken. The old kit came with the russ and 26 troopers, not 30, and had options for sergeants, but not lieutenants or captains, so it's not necessarily superior, just different. It also came with a pretty cool vehicle upgrade sprue and a terrain sprue. However, the russ is the older model, the hull and turret are the same but there are no cannon options other than the battlecannon, and the tank treads have to be put together piece by piece, rather than the largely pre-formed pieces in the modern russ kit.

Still Standing
25-02-2011, 07:58
Or Elysians, or Death Korps (like me :eyebrows:), ...

I know your pain, I have Elysian, Krieg, Vostroyan and Tallarn armies, all 2000 points or more! :D