PDA

View Full Version : EDEN [32mm Post-Apoc skirmishes] ~ A Painting & Gaming Journey

Mr Feral
24-02-2011, 14:49
So here we are, welcome to Eden…

For those not in the know, EDEN is a 32mm Post-Apocalypse skirmish game created by a small French miniatures company called Taban Miniatures (link (http://www.taban-miniatures.com/)). It consists of five unique factions (of which I shall be painting gangs from two of, the first being the sadistic and psychotic clowns of the Jokers, and secondly the Germanic water caravaneers of the Convoy.)

This log shall also be a slight departure from the norm, ie I paint stuff and you tell me how great I am :p. Instead, it shall be more of a painting journey as I through learning new processes attempt to improve my painting skills. I’ll be sharing my thoughts on both the models and the painting / creational process as I go along. I hope people who are reading add their own input and constructive advice / criticism (especially from the top-level painters out there!)

Finally, I even feel up to the challenge of making a small custom-built board for my Eden games sometime down the pipeline as well. Having never actually made any terrain before, let alone a board this should prove interesting!

- - - - - - - - - -

Completed:
Convoy Mark - (post 8)

PIP:
Jokers Bogdana
Jokers Yorg
Convoy Friedrich
Convoy Angela
Convoy Otto
Convoy Leo
Convoy Jeremia

Assembled but not PIP:
-

Not Started Yet:
Custom-made board
Terrain

(Pictures start on the next post)

precinctomega
24-02-2011, 14:51
Nice! I'm really interested in Eden's stuff. I'll watch this closely.

R.

Mr Feral
24-02-2011, 14:53
(continued from opening post)

OK, to kick things off with I have a PIP picture of the first miniature I have started one, Convoy Mark!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YjD5PJviWFo/TWZreUcfzmI/AAAAAAAAANM/9ijT_u5VRvE/s1600/Convoy+Mark+%2528WIP%2529.jpg

Initial thoughts on the model:
It’s a very nice model, the sweep of the cloak and the dynamism of the crouching pose is superb. There are quite a lot of areas on this model (particularly the clothing) which allow for blending / layering. The only slight assembly issue I had as the lower right arm wasn’t too easy to pin (because I had already attached the model to the base. In hindsight I would of attached said arm first then the base afterwards. There was also a slight gap at the shoulder on the right of the model, but a simple bit of gap filling sorted that out quickly (clay shapers are your best friend here!)

The paintjob thus far:
I’m very happy thus far, I’ve tried a few new things think I hope shows in the picture thus far;

For the shading, I have replaced using Badab Black and Devlan Mud (amongst others) for a couple of glazes to shade back down. After highlighting, the first glaze is of the base colour (Fenris Grey for the shirt for example) and then the second is another of the base colour mixed with a tiny amount of Chaos Black. I’ve learnt that the advantages of glazing over washing is that it is, one easier to control and two it’s a whole lot easier to mix a glaze colour up then it is to just use a wash straight from the pot.

What’s next to do?
Well the hooded shirt is done, the eyes needs fixing (the recesses are too dark, he looks like he has eyeliner on hehe), then finish highlights on the cloak and paint the rest of the model.

- - - - - - - -

That’s all from me for now, please drop in a comment or two (getting a bit lonely here!) and I shall be back next time with more progress.

Keep safe in the wastelands,
Feral

~EDIT~

Nice! I'm really interested in Eden's stuff. I'll watch this closely.

R.

Oops got ninja'd as I was doing the second post it seems! I hope this project satisfies your interest. :)

Mr Feral
03-03-2011, 11:32
Right; jeans, shoulder armour and bow done:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zhvbXdQt9PA/TW958T64j5I/AAAAAAAAANQ/yzTFsIgKWxA/s1600/Convoy+Mark+%2528WIP+2%2529.jpg

You'll probably notice that the metal areas were done using NMM (a first for me so go easy.) I would love to get some advice on how it looks, it's all new to me so any constructive criticism / links to good NMM articles would be grand.

Till next time where Convoy Mark should be done,
Feral

tancrede
03-03-2011, 11:56
Very nice work, man !
I really like the way you've done the jeans and the NMM.

Happy to see another man painting Eden on a international forum (as I seen your work on the french Eden forum, where I am under the name of "Le Caillou").

Hope to see more soon !

Hadriel Caine
03-03-2011, 12:05
Nice painting style. Just had a look at tancrede's log and followed it here. White undercoats are intriguing me at the moment. The only person I've met that uses them is French as well... I may have to give it a go on my Skrapyard minis.

Fredmans
04-03-2011, 16:15
I agree with Tancrede, fantastic jeans and clothes. We want more.

/Fredmans

Mr Feral
29-03-2011, 17:31
Very nice work, man !
I really like the way you've done the jeans and the NMM.

Happy to see another man painting Eden on a international forum (as I seen your work on the french Eden forum, where I am under the name of "Le Caillou").

Hope to see more soon !

Thanks, I saw and commented on your work over there. :)

Nice painting style. Just had a look at tancrede's log and followed it here. White undercoats are intriguing me at the moment. The only person I've met that uses them is French as well... I may have to give it a go on my Skrapyard minis.

Thanks. I've found the main difference between white and black is that using white makes it easier to see what you're painting! I'm using the Army Painter primer which I've discovered has this slight chalkiness to it, I quite like the texture particularly for blending.

I agree with Tancrede, fantastic jeans and clothes. We want more.

/Fredmans

You ask and I'll (slowly) provide!

- - - - - - - - - -

How nice, I've actually finished something! That's a rarity in itself. Less chat, more picture:

Model: Mark
Faction: Convoy

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WrOhjklY4bc/TZIFZFfecbI/AAAAAAAAANY/dzJBIROi-nQ/s1600/Convoy+Mark.jpg

Naturally, the zoomed in pictures makes the flesh look lame, you've probably heard this one before but it does look better in my hand. :p

Next up should be Bogdana of the Jokers.

Chow for now,
Feral

Hadriel Caine
01-04-2011, 13:18
Awesome; great jobs on the different textures with the fabrics.