PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new O&G Army

Devil-Tears
25-02-2011, 01:59
Hey guys,

So long story short, I have recently come into possession of a couple of O&G models. Seeing as how I don't really enjoy playing WoC anymore (everything kinda became how fast I can get to my opponents lines before they magic me to oblivion), I'm planning to start an O&G army in hopes of rekindling some fun (and tactics) into WHFB.

Now, I haven't been playing Fantasy for that long, so I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on what I should get. Here are the current models I own:

~15-17 Boyz
10 Goblins with nets and shields
10 Goblins with bows
10 Spider Riders
1 Boar Chariot
Grimgore Ironhide
1 Ork Shaman on Boar
1 Spear Chukka (Chaos Dwarf Death Rocket)

Currently, I'm looking into getting the O&G Brigade set (the big one) to bolster up my model count, but I also want to get the Arachnarok model (big spiders, hell yea) and maybe a Giant. Are there any other cool/good models I need? Are the things I want to get worth it (both in money and in the game)?

Thanks in advance!

Ghazbad_Facestompa
25-02-2011, 02:45
Those are all very good choices, though if you take Grimgor you'll need black orcs (preferably 30 or more). The brigade only comes with 10. Also, the minimum size of a goblin unit (of either variety) is 20, and you'll want 40 or more for a combat unit.

Devil-Tears
25-02-2011, 04:33
I'm thinking of maybe using Grimgor as a normal Warboss instead, since I've heard that he costs a bucket load of points. Do Warbosses on foot work for Orcs, or are they like Chaos Champions (ie mounted or don't take at all)?

Also, is it necessary for orcs to have a lot of shooting? I really like the idea of Arr'er Boyz and fast calv with bows, especially since WoC had no shooting to speak of (Hellcannon aside)

AMWOOD co
25-02-2011, 04:33
Fanatics. Lots of fanatics. I'm fanatical about fanatics if you can't tell.

That means Night goblins. You've already got netters apparently, so your on the way. To this end, I would suggest trying to get your hands on the old Skull Pass starter from 7th edition. 3 units of 20 Night Goblins, two with spear and shield and one with shortbows and all with full command. These work as the main tactic of an army (fanatic screen so artillery can do its work) or as flank protectors for your fighting units.

Looking at what you have, you'll also want shamans and big bosses on foot and probably some boar boyz for that shaman.

TheYoungin
25-02-2011, 05:01
You'll want a good solid unit of 25 black orcs, 40 more goblins of any kind and a shaman or two.

Devil-Tears
25-02-2011, 15:48
Hmmm, so I should definitely be investing in Fanatics and Black Orcs then :D

How many units of just Boyz should I get? And is it better to give them Dual Choppas, or Shields and Choppas?

DraconisTheElder
25-02-2011, 16:56
Im rather new to OandG also but from what I understand, as long as your gobbos screen your orc boys a bit then double choppa is the way to go. Especially if you make them big ones. You basically double their damage and as long as their are screened they wont take much damage at all on their way in.
This kind of tactic may be a little reminiscient on your WoC days though, rushing to the enemy line.

Devil-Tears
25-02-2011, 17:58
Im rather new to OandG also but from what I understand, as long as your gobbos screen your orc boys a bit then double choppa is the way to go. Especially if you make them big ones. You basically double their damage and as long as their are screened they wont take much damage at all on their way in.
This kind of tactic may be a little reminiscient on your WoC days though, rushing to the enemy line.

This was actually one of the few things I enjoyed about WoC. Its just that I want a little more versatility in the playing style :p What would you recommend as a good unit size for goblin screens?

Also, does anyone know if the Chariots are actually worth it? Or are Boar Boyz better (I heard they're quite expensive in the new book)?

Jind_Singh
25-02-2011, 18:55
Hey budding Warboss!

Well for solid core of an army your looking at:

1) 40 Orc Boyz, full command, your choice of weapons
2) 40 Goblins (I am going to say Night) with your choice of weapons
3) 30-40 Black Orcs :D

You can add warmachines/rare choices, etc to fill out the army but it's a SOLID starting point for an army. I suggest for extra units take zany stuff that will keep you amused as you play the game!

From there you'll find that some aspects of the army attract stronger than others, so you'll naturally grow the horde in a way you want. But the above collection allows you to put together all kinds of lists, the models are great, and they do well in the game.

I'd then look at adding some of those new Savages for e.g. down the road!

Have fun - and look out for people's Battle For Skullpass sets of Night Goblins - cheap as chips and great way to build up a horde fast!