PDA

View Full Version : can a level 0 wizard still use arcane items?

Da Crusha
28-02-2011, 03:33
so, can a level 0 wizard still use arcane Items? at first glance I would say no but in the faq it says that a level 0 can still channel but he cannot cast. so Im still unclear how much magical power a level 0 still possess'.

maybe the correct answer is he can still use it but his brain will get sucked out of his ear :eek:, as it says in the description of arcane items. does that mean he'll die? or would some wizards find that rather refreshing?

Kalandros
28-02-2011, 04:06
He's a character with the Wizard rule, his Level is 0. So yes he can use items and channel.

AMWOOD co
28-02-2011, 04:21
Can't see why not. He can't cast spells, but he can do his other wizardly duties.

Archangelion
28-02-2011, 09:53
Warhammer FAQs

Q: If a Wizard has had his level reduced to 0 does he still counts as
a Wizard and can he still attempt to channel Power and Dispel
dice? (p28)
A: Yes.

Q: If a Wizard has had his level reduced to 0 and he still knows
one or more spells, can he attempt to cast them? (p31)
A: No.

Paladin21
28-02-2011, 20:47
If a character *starts* at level 0 (I'm thinking Skaven engineer), can they take an Arcane item? Can that character also channel, even though they never had a level to start with?

I'm having visions of groups of naked Engineers standing around meditating on 6's....scary.

tmarichards
28-02-2011, 20:51
Not unless their rules say they are wizards anyway. If not, they're no more of a mage than all the slaves in the army.

FestHest
28-02-2011, 20:52
As engineers don't start with a wizard level, they can't use arcane items or channel, otherwise every character would be wizard level 0.

The difference is they can buy a wizard level, as other characters buy eg. the wizarding hat, thus becoming a wizard with all the troubles that follows.

theunwantedbeing
28-02-2011, 20:52
A model should stop being a wizard if they become level 0 really.
That'de make sense.

But that's FAQ's for you.

Insane Courage
28-02-2011, 21:29
I don't think that a level 0 wizard can use arcane items. In the BRB pg. 28 under Wizard Level- "Wizards have a level from 1 to 4."

Page 504 in BRB (or Reference section) under Arcane Items second sentence states "Only a character with a Wizard level can carry an arcane item." After it talks how characters with no sensitivty to magic will find Arcane Items useless and inert, or have their brains sucked out.

In conclussion if a level 0 wizard cannot use Arcane Items and if they tried to get brains sucked out. And when interviewing a Khemri Mummy for Blood Bowl I heard getting your brains sucked (pulled) out is no fun!

Archangelion
28-02-2011, 21:53
If the army book states that a character is a level 0 wizard. Then they are a wizard.

Insane Courage
28-02-2011, 23:30
If the army book states that a character is a level 0 wizard. Then they are a wizard.

Ok but to my knowledge I don't know any description that says "the character is/counts as a level 0 wizard." The closest I can see is the Liche and High Liche Priest, the description only says they are Wizards there is no level given. That is an exception to the rules which GW does and can't be used to compare every other example. Plus its a very old book which came out even before 7th edition. So if there is an example of a level 0 wizard in an army book please correct me.

AMWOOD co
28-02-2011, 23:43
Actually, Lich Priests and High Priests count as Lvl 1 and 3 respectively. See the Tomb King FAQ.

Reading the rules for Arcane Items, it says that "Only a character with a Wizard Level may carry an Arcane Item." (Big Rulebook p504, top paragraph)

I don't see any reason that once he has it that he cannot continue to use it. A Chaos Hero who bought the Book of Secrets and then had it destroyed by Vaul's Unmaking can still use the dispel scroll he was able to buy.

gabehowlett
01-03-2011, 00:21
The way I see it is that if he can channel, then he still is seen as having some affinity for magic you know? Therefore he should be able to at minimum use his items because he is still knowledgeable and sensitive to their use

Da Crusha
01-03-2011, 07:00
Ok but to my knowledge I don't know any description that says "the character is/counts as a level 0 wizard."

well, that's because it's a unique situation. at the very least, the FAQ acknowledges that a level 0 wizard is still a wizard.

Q: If a Wizard has had his level reduced to 0 does he still counts as
a Wizard and can he still attempt to channel Power and Dispel
dice? (p28)
A: Yes.