PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch "Counts As"

Eldartank
28-02-2011, 04:46
What would be your opinion about using Deathwatch models in a Space Marine army, counting as Legion of the Damned? I'm talking about models that are exactly represented with whatever wargear and weapons are in their army list entry. The reason I'm asking is because I'm in the process of painting up several Deathwatch Space Marines, complete with Deathwatch shoulder pads and various weapons. I would have enough models to properly represent a legal squad of Legion of the Damned (at least, the weapons would all be properly represented). The models are meinly being used in my Deathwatch Roleplaying Game Campaign, but it would be nice to be able to use the models in a 40K minis game since I have them.

Also, how would you go about painting a Rhino or Predator in Deathwatch colors? I know they would be mostly black, but I assume there would be some silver somewhere, along with the Inquisition symbol.

Lord-Caerolion
28-02-2011, 04:52
Personally, they'd make a lot more sense being used as Sternguard, who even have the variant ammunition they stole from the Deathwatch.
Actually, there isn't anything about the LotD that makes them seem like Deathwatch, really. Deathwatch are Marines with special ammunition who hunt aliens, LotD are ghost-Marines who appear from thin air and are impossible to kill. There isn't really any overlap there...

Mage
28-02-2011, 05:23
I agree with Lord-Caerolion as using them as Sternguard. It makes more sense, and rules-wise they are more in line with the DeathWatch rules that appeared in Whtie Dwarf all those years ago. Deep striking tactical marines with an invulernable save (legion of the damned) as oppossed to veteran marines with extensive ammo types to face various threats (sternguard) does not make as much sense to me.

Then again, its your army, do what you want.

I agree with the ammo stealing and overlap (or lack of) statement above also.

As for painting, I don't think you can paint a rhino the wrong way, as long as you have the colours right and your happy with how your look. Individual squads, companies, and campagins could dictate different variations of the same scheme for various reasons.

Inquisitor Engel
28-02-2011, 05:36
My Deathwatch will be Sternguard until a more suitable replacement can be found.

shadowhawk2008
28-02-2011, 06:43
that being a deathwatch codex of course

PyroSikTh
28-02-2011, 08:07
I regularly play against a Deathwatch army. The real Deathwatch are the Sternguard as Sternguard are basically the Deathwatch rules, but better.

Eldartank
28-02-2011, 19:49
Boy, do I feel silly..... lol Yeah, Sternguard would DEFINITELY be a far better "counts as" for Deathwatch than LoTD would be (What was I thinking?). So, I'll definitely be using my Deathwatch models as Sternguard, as I can certainly represent them properly. Thanks for everyone's input on that.

As for the vehicles, I think they will basically be black, with silver doors and hatches. I'm guessing that the Deathwatch maintains it's own inventory of vehicles, so they probably wouldn't have any Chapter colors painted on them (Dreadnoughts, of course, would have Chapter colors on them). Do you think I'm right about the Deathwatch vehicles?

LonelyPath
28-02-2011, 20:28
I don't rememebr seeing anything on Deathwatch vehicles, so I suppose they could be drawn form the Inquisitions own armoury or even borrowed from the parent chapters the Deathwatch marines themselves are drawn from. The latter would allow you to keep using vehicles form other SM armies in your collection. If you prefer purely DW ones, then I quite like the idea of your paint scheme, maybe basing them on the Immolator kit so they look a bit different from the norm? If you look at the current Witch Hunters codex, it shows a Rhino made using the Immolator kit in that ;)

rodmillard
28-02-2011, 22:06
Re: Deathwatch vehicles

If you can afford it, it may be worth looking at the Forge World Inquisition doors and hatches (for both rhino variants and land raiders) - then paint them predominantly black with silver iconography and maybe red accents?

If your group allows special characters, it may be worth converting a Kantor-alike to make the Sternguard scoring (this would also allow you to build a DW honour guard if you wanted...)

Khornies & milk
28-02-2011, 22:35
My entire SM army is Death Watch themed...134 models with the DW S/Pad on the left arm and Chapter specific S/Pad on the right. I think I have 14 Chapters all up.

In the end it's your army so do what you want to do.

Illiterate Scribe
28-02-2011, 23:16
Re: Deathwatch vehicles

If you can afford it, it may be worth looking at the Forge World Inquisition doors and hatches (for both rhino variants and land raiders) - then paint them predominantly black with silver iconography and maybe red accents?

The Deathwatch RPG has the Deathwatch Chapter (not the Inquisition) using all kinds of vehicles; even a number of Storm Ravens. They're tactically less inclined to use some vehicles - mostly battle tanks, Demolishers, Predators, the like - but they'll take whatever they want out of their local Watch Keep's armoury.

Lord Inquisitor
28-02-2011, 23:45
I have a bunch of SM parts and I've been planning a DW army. We'll see if I ever complete it. But basically the army consisted of 3 squads of sternguard and two squads of bikers. The sternguard can either rock squads of ten with combi weapons either podded or rhino driven, or split into combat squads one with combi-weapons and one with heavy weapons. Then you take a captain on a bike to make the bikers core and Kantor to make the sternguard scoring and you have a SM army without any tac or scout squads. If you have points left over a techmarine or inquisitor can round out the force.

Eldartank
01-03-2011, 01:27
Here's another question that I just thought about: How would Deathwatch Terminators be painted? Normally, Terminators have the Crux Terminatus on the left shoulderpad and the Chapter Badge on the right. Deathwatch have the Deathwatch shoulderpad on the left, and the Chapter Badge on the right.

So, for Deathwatch Terminators, would the Deathwatch Shoulderpad be on the left, with the Crux Terminatus on the right, and perhaps the Chapter Badge somewhere else, like on a kneepad or something?

Thornz
01-03-2011, 01:44
I am running a Deathwatch Army.

I have thought about C:SM, SM Sternguard, SW Wolfguard, to the point of exaustion. I will save you the trouble of all of it and simply say :

Grey Knights

GKSSquad Psy powers = a DW Librarian in each DW squad.
GK Psycannons = DW HB's with Suspensors.
GK Incinerators = DW Flamers
GK Stormbolters = DW MK4 Pattern Bolters
GK CMOX Inquisitor = Nuff Said + cool wargear.
GK CMOX Inquisitor Lord Special Character = Nuff Said.
GK Dreadknight = DW Dreadnaught stand in, use the Dark Angles Forgeworld one with 2xcc weapons /wink

I think we ( Deathwatch Players ) have a great oppertunity to play the army of our dreams finally with the coming codex. And to everyone who says play Sternguard with Pedro, I say rubbish!

Lord Inquisitor
01-03-2011, 02:10
I think the crux should incorporate the deathwatch icon so the left pad still displays the parent chapter iconography.

LoneSniperSG
01-03-2011, 02:19
Personally, they'd make a lot more sense being used as Sternguard, who even have the variant ammunition they stole from the Deathwatch.
Actually, there isn't anything about the LotD that makes them seem like Deathwatch, really. Deathwatch are Marines with special ammunition who hunt aliens, LotD are ghost-Marines who appear from thin air and are impossible to kill. There isn't really any overlap there...

QUOTED FOR TRUTH! :chrome:

Now what's all this blabbering noise about a Deathwatch army? There's no such thing. Strike elements, yes. Amassed army? No. I'm usually pretty cool about people doing their own thing, but not as far as "Oh, I'm making an entire Deathwatch army." When It's pretty stone cold that if the DW needs that much power, they get the Guard or some Marines to do it.

riotknight
01-03-2011, 02:33
Sternguard are basically the Deathwatch after a wash of their armor, at least they are as close to it as is currently available, Infact, most of the marine book absorbed the Deathwatch.... The scouts got the bad ass Hellfire Heavy Bolter (My favourite unit back in 3rd ed when the DW Kill team rules were in CA, Basically a squad out of Predator). Sternguard have all the ammo types, the only thing they are missing are the neat little things that the DW got, including the unit captains and what not.

Hellebore
01-03-2011, 02:43
Take Kantor for even more deathwatch action.

Hellebore

Chem-Dog
01-03-2011, 03:13
What would be your opinion about using Deathwatch models in a Space Marine army, counting as Legion of the Damned? ...
...The reason I'm asking is because I'm in the process of painting up several Deathwatch Space Marines, complete with Deathwatch shoulder pads and various weapons. I...
...The models are meinly being used in my Deathwatch Roleplaying Game Campaign, but it would be nice to be able to use the models in a 40K minis game since I have them.

There are two options here.
Use them, as most people have suggested, as Sternguard.
Or
Use them scattered throughout your Space Marine army as "regular" battle brothers who have served within the DW at some time.

Also, how would you go about painting a Rhino or Predator in Deathwatch colors? I know they would be mostly black, but I assume there would be some silver somewhere, along with the Inquisition symbol.

Deathwatch are supposed to have their own supply of Vehicles, so I don't see any problem with taking the colour scheme on to appropriate vehicles, black with silver recesses and a big old DW symbol stencilled on there somewhere.

Take Kantor for even more deathwatch action.

Hellebore

Pedro doesn't make SG troop choices, just makes them Scoring.

Lord Inquisitor
01-03-2011, 04:22

Now what's all this blabbering noise about a Deathwatch army? There's no such thing. Strike elements, yes. Amassed army? No. I'm usually pretty cool about people doing their own thing, but not as far as "Oh, I'm making an entire Deathwatch army." When It's pretty stone cold that if the DW needs that much power, they get the Guard or some Marines to do it.

A full 40k army as I described numbers only 40 or so deathwatch. That's a strike force. And yes, there are examples of that many deathwatch being assembled in the background. So it is entirely reasonable for a 40k force.

Lord Inquisitor
01-03-2011, 04:24

A full 40k army as I described numbers only 40 or so deathwatch. That's a strike force. And yes, there are examples of that many deathwatch being assembled in the background. So it is entirely reasonable for a 40k force.

Col. Tartleton
01-03-2011, 05:16
Blood Angels

Astorath the Grim
Sternguard Squad
Sternguard Squad - Shooty DW
3 Sanguinary Priests - Medics
Death Company - Killy DW
Death Company +Lemmy
Stormravens??? Landraiders???

Put Astoroth with DC and a Sang Priest.
Sang Priests in Sterguard.
Lemartes and DC.
Put Sternguards in Stormravens.

It's like 25-45 models which makes it DW friendly. Don't forget Librarian, they're good.

Odds are everyone has FNP, Furious Charge, and Fearless. Assault units have rending with reroll to hit and wound. Sternguard have FNP which means Vengeance Rounds and Plasma spam is very legit. Stormravens deploy otherwise foot sloggers and add fire and show their cool DW gear off.

Khornies & milk
01-03-2011, 05:21

I myself could care less if people like a full Deathwatch force or not, especially the Internet. My RL experiences with using it are more important and I have never had anyone moan about my theme when they see it on the board. Fact is it is extremely well painted and all the different Chapter S/Pads really stand out, and it gets a lot of positive feedback.

As far as modelling DW Terminators I swapped the Crux Terminatus and Chapter S/Pads around, and added 'I' icons to the small Shields they have. They're painted in the standard Deathwatch design/colours..Vehciles are the same with added bling from FW.

Illiterate Scribe
01-03-2011, 08:54
Blood Angels

Astorath the Grim
Sternguard Squad
Sternguard Squad - Shooty DW
3 Sanguinary Priests - Medics
Death Company - Killy DW
Death Company +Lemmy
Stormravens??? Landraiders???

Put Astoroth with DC and a Sang Priest.
Sang Priests in Sterguard.
Lemartes and DC.
Put Sternguards in Stormravens.

It's like 25-45 models which makes it DW friendly. Don't forget Librarian, they're good.

Odds are everyone has FNP, Furious Charge, and Fearless. Assault units have rending with reroll to hit and wound. Sternguard have FNP which means Vengeance Rounds and Plasma spam is very legit. Stormravens deploy otherwise foot sloggers and add fire and show their cool DW gear off.

Ah yes, the famous 'uncontrollable frothing-at the mouth berserkers' and their dreadnought equivalents, otherwise known as the 'killy DW', perhaps the most notable and famous unit of the tactically flexible alien-hunters of the Ordo Xenos' chamber militant.

shadowhawk2008
01-03-2011, 09:19
Here's another question that I just thought about: How would Deathwatch Terminators be painted? Normally, Terminators have the Crux Terminatus on the left shoulderpad and the Chapter Badge on the right. Deathwatch have the Deathwatch shoulderpad on the left, and the Chapter Badge on the right.

So, for Deathwatch Terminators, would the Deathwatch Shoulderpad be on the left, with the Crux Terminatus on the right, and perhaps the Chapter Badge somewhere else, like on a kneepad or something?

You can simply use a Deathwatch shoulderpad with a Chapter shoulderpad and represent the crux terminator as free hand on the armour or green-stuff something small on the armour or on the weapons. Or have a Sergeant with a banner showing the crux.

Col. Tartleton
01-03-2011, 10:34
Ah yes, the famous 'uncontrollable frothing-at the mouth berserkers' and their dreadnought equivalents, otherwise known as the 'killy DW', perhaps the most notable and famous unit of the tactically flexible alien-hunters of the Ordo Xenos' chamber militant.

There are lots of Blood Angel successors in the DW. Just lump them into Kill Teams and let it "black rage." It would be ignorant if they didn't. Or theyre Just Ultramarines TW Vets on a BAd day. Or any of the other chapters with severe rage against the gribbly freelings like Crimson Fists or Emperor's Scythes or Celestial Lions or the famed Angrymarines of Angramar.

Eldartank
03-03-2011, 04:33
Thanks for the suggestions about painting Deathwatch Terminators. I was just looking in my "Rites of Battle" book (the latest Deathwatch RPG supplement). I should have looked in that book more thoroughly before asking about Terminators. That book has rules for Space Marine vehicles, and also rules for playing a Dreadnought, Chaplain, Epistolary Librarian, among other things. One of the new rules they have is for playing a First Company Veteran, and there is a nice picture of such a veteran in Terminator Armor in Deathwatch colors. The left shoulderpad is indeed a Deathwatch pad, and the right shoulderpad has the Chapter colors. That will be simple enough for me, since all the new plastic Terminator box sets include one Deathwatch shoulderpad. As for the Crux Terminatus, one of the models has a huge cross-shaped Crux Terminatus on one leg (presumably for the Sergeant) - I will just paint up that model as my Deathwatch Terminator. I have two of the box sets, so I will be able to paint 2 Deathwatch Terminators. Problem solved. :)