PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings: Information?

Tulun
24-03-2006, 21:02
Hi, I'd love some info on Tomb Kings. I am thinking of using them as my army now (Based on models, mostly: I like the undead look, but I hate most of VC models... I DO like the Egyptian look of Tomb Kings, though).

I was wondering...

are they tough to play at low points? (1k, 1.5k)

And they tough to play in general?

What are things to look out for playing as a TK general?

Is it really difficult to keep your important Hierophant alive? What are ways to make sure it lives?

Any other things you'd want to add I didn't ask!

I'd love to see some example lists, if anyone would like to post them :)

BigJon
24-03-2006, 23:43
I love playing my TK's. They are very had to play at lower points like WH Skirimish but thats is what makes them more fun if you ask me. Once you get into normal point level 2000+ they become alittle easier to general. With TK you don't have to worry about your troops running but you'll stay busy bringing your troops back. Unlike VC you can't raise new units, only restore the units you had. Your Hierophant is very important and must stay alive, Cloak of Dunes is a good way to do that, gives him flying. In games 2000+ and up think of taking the Casket of Souls, your enemy will have a hard time dispeling all your spells if he's to save dispel dice for the punch of your CoS allowing you to restore you units and move them in the magic phase much easier.

BigJon

Star.Scream
25-03-2006, 02:25
>>>>>Yes, Tomb Kings required to take a liche and a pince or king, in low point battles it is hard to build a good list with so many points going towards characters

>>>>>>Tomb Kings arnt very easy; they require very good timing, and a firm battle plan; if you just drop your units on the board and charge forward you may find yourself getting rolled up like a carptet.

>>>>>Hmm, nothing else that any other general wouldn't have to consider.

Is it really difficult to keep your important Hierophant alive? What are ways to make sure it lives?
I've never found keeping him alive overly difficult, however if you make a mistake in your positioning and your opponent notices, chances are you'll loose him; if your carefull and pay attention he should be ok. Your Heirophant requires the right equipment as well, to be effective and to stay alive.

I'd love to see some example lists, if anyone would like to post them :)

>>>>>>If your really intrested in TK then I would Highly suggest looking at the Tomb King Tactica Thread. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472) It is pretty long, and not all of it needs to be read (althought reading all of it woud help you out a lot, it has questions and answers to things you may not have thought of yet); even if you just seperate the thread into a few seperate sittings its managable.

The Thread is a work in progres, feel free to ask any additional questions if you need too.

Good luck and happy gaming!

Flypaper
25-03-2006, 04:24
The bad news is that Tomb Kings are probably the worst beginner army in the game. As follows:

Yes. Tomb kings need their Lord choices to be competitive in any sense. On the plus side, they're probably slightly overpowered at 3K points. :p

Yup. TK are an "expert" army - you'll take a lot of losses before you learn to use them properly. You can build an easy-to-play army (lots of static infantry, for instance), but the list would probably lack a lot in raw power.

Identify clear threats and focus on stripping away your opponent's support units (fast cavalry, skirmishers, fliers). Also, anything you can do to strip away the other guy's magic defenses will be very helpful. Mind you, that advice is good for a lot of armies out there!

It depends on who you're fighting (and whether they have a fast-moving character like a Lizardmen JSoD or an Elf on an eagle). The Cloak of Dunes (which gives the character flying) is the standard equipment for a Hierophant, and it generally works fairly well.

TK lists are split down the middle - half of them are aggressive lists with chariots lead by a King, and the other half are static with a focus on shooting (usually with a Liche High Priest casting Smiting on two Screaming Skull Catapults). Which you chose (or whatever mixture of the two) is up to your preference in playing style...

gunslinger019
25-03-2006, 10:48
Although being unable to march i find that tomb kings can be one of the quickest army's in the game. Chariots with a potential 24" and 360 degree charge is a devistating unit. Especially with a tomb prince or king.

The heirophant can be annoying, constant baby sitting a t3 w2 character, but in general the benefits of immune to psyche, fear causing etc easily outweigh this. As said using cloak of dunes is a useful way of protecting him, but i currently place mine in a unit of heavy horseman, as this gives extra protection from shooting and as you can never flee a charge makes the enemy think more about charging him.

Also there is a 3rd style of army, in 2k+ you can easily have a tk led construct army that can deal out a large number of s6 attacks. Ushabti, bone giants And the models are nice, well bone giants with a bit of conversion.

Obviously with such a character led army the smaller the game the harder it is. But on the whole are an enjoyable game to play

Bloodknight
25-03-2006, 12:35
Flypaper“s got it. TK are hard to learn, but very rewarding if you master them. I started WFB with them (until TK came out, no WFB army appealed to me, I just love their egyptian optics and I wanted to play undead without baaaad models).
They tend to lack in games under 2K. Especially 1999 games (basically a 2000 game with more troops and less heroes) are hard to master, as you lack magic there.
On 3K they get really strong, as you can include a King and a Liche high priest there.
I play a balanced list, consisting of King, prince, 2 priests,
25 skeleton spearmen, 24 Tomb Guard, 10 skeleton archers, 2x3 chariots, an SSC, 2 scorpions and whatever I see fit for the rest of the points. Works for me. The aggressive chariot army doesn“t work for me, there are just too many S7 guys in our club. I played construct heavy for some time, which worked well. It“s the only time where I actually advise to take the icon bearer. That guy can be a life saver.
I cannot however comment on the Liche high priest. I believe I lost every 2K game where he was my hierophant. I I just cannot figure out how to use that guy.

Tulun
28-03-2006, 06:43
Hmm, interesting stuff. I'll also check that thread out when I have more time.

i do like the models, definately more so than most armies. Vampire counts by comparisson are just terrible (model wise, anyway).