PDA

View Full Version : Nid news

Stickmonkey
02-03-2011, 21:14
There is a bit of speculation in this post so I'm putting in general and not rumors.

Lots of internal rumbling on a 2nd wave of tyranids. I don't have timelines, but expect it to hit before end of year, but after dark eldar releases complete that codex.

First, a new tyrant model is soon to debut. It has options for the swarm lord. It has some slight differences from the current metal, but is basically similar. I do think it stands between an inch or more higher, but not as tall as a trygon. I did not have an existing tyrant to compare. Wings are supposedly in the kit, but I did not see those.

Second, a harpy has been done, and will either be in this release or in the "summer of flyers"

Next for plastic kits the tervigon is finalized. IMO it does not exactly meet the image in the codex, but if you squint it's close. The model is nice and definitely fits the line.

This is where it gets fuzzy. The tyrranofex is not at all shaped or sized IMO like the tervigon model. I did not have them side by side to compare, but lot of Internet speculation these kits would be combined. I don't see it. Some pieces like legs might have dual use, but I didn't see sprue cuts to tell there. If they are one kit, it will surprise me.

No word on mycetic spores... Either way. I would place a bet they are also coming, but I don't know anything solid.

For metals,

There is a doom and parasite sculpted. They look as expected. Doom is fairly dynamic, parasite is a bit bigger than I thought and will likely use the larger skimmer base.

Also someone mentioned old one eye is getting a new sculpt, but I don't know how much faith I place in that one yet.

And a new yrgarll genestealer in metal...think flash gitz

That it for now.

Cheers.

Dreachon
02-03-2011, 21:19
Thanks for the info, now we'll just have to bite our time.

PyroSikTh
02-03-2011, 21:37
Thank you for this. My wife is now smiling at me :D

silverstu
02-03-2011, 21:39
Cheers for that stickmonkey! Sounds promising -just have to sit back and see what appears..

PaperStraw
02-03-2011, 21:43
Can you tell us how large the Tervigon and Tyrannofex were compared to the Carnifex kit?

Also wondering how close the Tyrannofex is to the codex art?

Either way thanks for the info, much obliged. :)

Azzy
02-03-2011, 21:44
I don't play Nids, buy I'll but a Hive Tyrant when it goes plastic... I just like some of the Nid models visually (especially the Warriors, Raveners and Trygon) and I've got a paint scheme I want to go with.

LonelyPath
02-03-2011, 21:48
Thanks StickMonkey, your news is always appreciated :)

Bestaltan
02-03-2011, 21:49
So good news/bad news.

1. Good news-Possible second wave.

2. Bad news-If it is end of the year, that will put our second wave nearly two years after the codex release and AFTER two codices that were released AFTER us.

And people say I'm an idiot to state that Tyranids are GW's afterthought in this edition. Oh well, at least we might be getting something. :rolleyes:

Cosmic_Girl
02-03-2011, 21:51
Can't wait to play with the new models. I'll be buying Tervigons and T-fex kits for sure! And a new Tyrant sounds nice. Harpy I'm not sold on as a definate sub-optimal choice, but we'll see what the kit looks like.

C-girl.

MasterDecoy
02-03-2011, 21:54
hope there is some kit coming out with enough boneswords and lash whips to make it worth buying for the bitz. (hive tyrant with 4 bone sabers might do the trick)

Dreachon
02-03-2011, 21:54
And people say I'm an idiot to state that Tyranids are GW's afterthought in this edition. Oh well, at least we might be getting something. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean but still at least we are getting a second wave, it could have been worse.

Cosmic_Girl
02-03-2011, 21:58
2. Bad news-If it is end of the year, that will put our second wave nearly two years after the codex release and AFTER two codices that were released AFTER us.

You're such a wet blanket. All the whining in the world is not gonna change GW's space marine-centric business plan, so you may as well accept the way things are. The fact is the SM line makes the money so they get the bulk of the development budget. If they didn't have SM sales, their overall budget would suffer and that in turn would mean less development for the other races as well. I don't like it either, but there's the way we wish things were and the way things are. Dwelling on the difference between the two will give you wrinkles.

C-girl.

Bonzai
02-03-2011, 21:59
Harpy I'm not sold on as a definate sub-optimal choice, but we'll see what the kit looks like.

C-girl.

Awe... be nice. Harpy's need love too. Just ask my ex'es...

LonelyPath
02-03-2011, 22:04
Can't wait to play with the new models. I'll be buying Tervigons and T-fex kits for sure! And a new Tyrant sounds nice. Harpy I'm not sold on as a definate sub-optimal choice, but we'll see what the kit looks like.

C-girl.

I have alot of fun with my harpy, it's forever ruining my opponents plans for cover saves and keeping tanks away form my forces.

Max Jet
02-03-2011, 22:09
Do you have any knowledge about a possible price charge? Or is this something that will be decided much later? If not, did you see the actual model kits assembled or rather the sprues?

Also I am quite curious on why they would relase more models in the second wave than in the first.

And people say I'm an idiot to state that Tyranids are GW's afterthought in this edition. Oh well, at least we might be getting something.

Your comment was stated as the most stupid on this Forum. Even below the infamous "There are no lighter elements than hydrogen? But they discover new elements each day! How can you say that." comment. Speaks only against your offender. Only against him buddy.

Coldblood666
02-03-2011, 22:17
This is very exciting news! I was just going through my codex today and fuming about not being able to create the type of list I want because of lack of models. Hopefully this wave comes sooner then later!

demondriven
02-03-2011, 22:21
Good to hear about the tervigon, even if I did just purchase the chapterhouse conversion kit this very day. Thanks for the news, now back to scratch building a spore...luckily easter is close and that means lots of plastic eggs in various sizes.

-Loki-
02-03-2011, 22:40
Good news if it happens. I'll be first in line for two of each of the Harpy, Tervigon and Tyrannofex. I know the Harpy is a suboptimal choice, but big Nids are always cool to build and paint.

Strange that the rumours of the Bonesword and lashwhip options for Tyranid Warriors disappeared though.

wyvirn
02-03-2011, 22:49
Good to hear, but where were you yesterday to add actually rumors to my nid rumor thread? :p
Oh well. The plastic Tyrant has me a bit intrigued. Any word on a prime model or conversion kit?

Chapters Unwritten
02-03-2011, 22:53
Really can't understand these blokes' business practices sometimes. The Tervigon is apparent to me to be the most useful thing in the book, and was from day one. Why are they releasing it now, after everyone's already faked one? And the Swarmlord option? Hasn't everyone gotten their boneswords at reasonable prices from third parties and move on?

It's nice that they are doing it and all but these things are going to sell like coal in hell.

-Loki-
02-03-2011, 23:18
Really can't understand these blokes' business practices sometimes. The Tervigon is apparent to me to be the most useful thing in the book, and was from day one. Why are they releasing it now, after everyone's already faked one? And the Swarmlord option? Hasn't everyone gotten their boneswords at reasonable prices from third parties and move on?

It's nice that they are doing it and all but these things are going to sell like coal in hell.

Because they're not getting money from third party sales or people converting their own models (which were mostly done with Carnifexes that people don't like anymore). New models will sell, even if they are late.

Bestaltan
02-03-2011, 23:23
You're such a wet blanket.

I'll certainly admit to that in regards to Tyranids, but I believe with good reason. The Tyranids have always been one of their better non-SM sellers. To give them the treatment they have with this edition is just bad business sense.

The irony is that, now that we've all converted and scratch-built our own tervigons/swarmlords/tyrannofexes/harpies, NOW they come out with the kits. They are running the risk of hurting their Tyranid sales even more by being so late, as unless the quality is incredible (which, I admit, it probably will be) a lot of folks will just go "Meh, I've already built my own".

Angelwing
02-03-2011, 23:28
Better save some money....

LonelyPath
03-03-2011, 00:21
I only proxied my Swarmlord and Tervigons, so actual modies are good for me. Plus there are always new gamers discovering the game who would not have already build conversions ;)

AlphariusOmegon20
03-03-2011, 02:17
SM, you wouldn't happen to know if there will be a pair of wings in the Tyrant box, do you? I already have a winged Tyrant I converted, but it would be nice to know that future players won't have to go the same route I did, due to a little GW forethought.

Otherwise, Glad to hear GW's finally releasing some of the missing models.

-Loki-
03-03-2011, 02:25
He did mention it.

First, a new tyrant model is soon to debut. It has options for the swarm lord. It has some slight differences from the current metal, but is basically similar. I do think it stands between an inch or more higher, but not as tall as a trygon. I did not have an existing tyrant to compare. Wings are supposedly in the kit, but I did not see those.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-03-2011, 02:31
He did mention it.

Crap, I must have missed that when I skimmed over his post. Thanks.

Chapters Unwritten
03-03-2011, 03:09
I imagine the wings will be a welcome addition to most bitz boxes. Still, I am very surprised.

I think the plan is a newbie blitz. Mom and dad buy you 10 MCs at ~70USD each and they've made back some of their losses. I notice a lot of new players to the game falling in love with the Tyranids but not realizing that the meta game makes them fairly difficult to play.

noobzilla
03-03-2011, 03:12
As a player that converted his Tervigons, I find this to be a bit of a win and loss at the same time. I like that they are finally releasing a kit, but so late. I know for a fact I won't be replacing my models with the new ones. That's just a waste of money and time.

Chapters Unwritten
03-03-2011, 04:23
I'm a Wolves player, but I would feel the same if they abruptly released Thunderwolves, so I can identify a little bit. This is why I assume their plan is to score kiddie money off newbies who are coming into the game.

-Loki-
03-03-2011, 04:43
Or, well, people without the skill and/or time to convert their own.

I fall into this camp - I suck at green stuffing, so converting my own Harpies, Tervigons and Tyrannofexes is out. However, I do want the units. So if they release models, I'll gladly buy a couple of each.

Chapters Unwritten
03-03-2011, 06:18
Most such conversions are just rudimentary blends of the Trygon and Carnifex kits. GW even had tips on it up on their own website (which always annoyed me...you couldn't put sprue A from the Trygon and sprue B from the carnifex in one box and called it a Tervigon kit? Instead you expected us to pay something like ~120USD per tervigon? Really, GW?).

Scythe
03-03-2011, 06:44

Going from the assumption that the actual models look very good, and better than most conversions out there, they will sell. Enough people will probably replace (or add to) their converted models.

Either way, good news. I never converted anything new, in the assumption that a plastic kit would arrive sooner or later. Seems I made the right decision (though it will still take some time to the end of the year). Now if they only could publish a page of actual good errata and points / profile adjustments as well....

magicmonkey
03-03-2011, 07:06
i will buy many things now. 2 tervies and a t-fex i think. plus end of year is newar christmas and ma brthday, so plenty of money to get them, but no time to build.

theJ
03-03-2011, 07:15
And a new yrgarll genestealer in metal...think flash gitz

The 'stealer's got a targetting squig and a cheesy smile? :eek: AWESOME! Imma get that! :D

Souleater
03-03-2011, 07:24
Thanks, Stickmonkey.

A plastic HT is an unlooked for bonus. The other models are 'obvious' but nonetheless welcome.

bocirish
03-03-2011, 07:31
It's great to finally hear some positive nid posts. Hopefully this will quiet some of the haters out there whining about the current codex cause they drive me nuts. Sorry little boys and girls but the new dex actually requires strategy and planning for competitive builds, but if you took half of the time learning the game instead of bi%$hing about how much the new codex sucks you'ld figure that out. So far I've played three builds in two large and five small tournaments and took first twice and havn't placed less than third.

ForgottenLore
03-03-2011, 07:50
A plastic HT is an unlooked for bonus.

I don't think anything he said indicates a PLASTIC hive tyrant, just a new one. In fact "basically similar" to the "current metal one" implies that it is still metal.

Would like to be wrong about that but what he said sounded to me like he was specifically separating his statements about the Hive tyrant from his statements about the plastic kits.

Stickmonkey, care to clarify this issue at all?

Blink
03-03-2011, 08:05
*sigh*

No one complains that the codex isn't competitive bocirish. They complain that it's not very Tyranid-like and contains many unusable and sub-par models with little substitutes to many vital needs of the game (anti tank for instance), which means half your legos are missing their notches.

Anyway, this is great news for Tyranid. I really look forward to the new Hive Tyrant model (although I hope getting cover saves won't be TOO much more difficult). I'm a little concerned about the Tervigon models not looking right... though mine is modeled like a hornet without its wings to be insect-like so I have a hard time faulting them.

Born Again
03-03-2011, 08:26
As always, thanks for these Stickmonkey, it is appreciated.

You mentioned the Parasite of Mortrex would be on the "large skimmer base". By that, do you mean the one used for DE Raiders and the like, or the Valkyrie/ Stormraven one? I'm guessing the prior as it's meant to be Warrior sized, but thought I better check...

Dreachon
03-03-2011, 10:06
I don't think anything he said indicates a PLASTIC hive tyrant, just a new one. In fact "basically similar" to the "current metal one" implies that it is still metal.
Stickmonkey, care to clarify this issue at all?

If there are wings in the kit it will be plastic, GW is not gonna go back to hybrid kits so it's gonna be all metal or all plastic and plastic is more believable given it will allow options like wings to be added.

alphastealer
03-03-2011, 10:59
For me this is a case of too little too late.

I can understand a 1st and 2nd wave method of model release, but when it is so far part it it like buying a suit jacket and then the matching pants 2 seasons later.

Secondly the rules for the new models (besides tervigon) are really sub-par.
I mean, how many people use the parasite or even harpies?

Ymgrl stealers are good but if they are coming out in metal then it just means you will be paying a crap load for a blister when for a bit more you could get a whole box of stealers. Talk about going the wrong way...most armies are going from metal to platic...we are going backwards!

A doom model will be nice but there again, the FAQ took this guy from being a rabid dog that people ran from, to being a bee that stings once then dies.

I am not a big conversion guy, so actual models will be nice, but due to the poor points cost and value of a lot of the tyranid codex I will probably give them a miss until the 6th Ed codex. Why buy something you will hardly ever want to use in a competative game.

Of course if GW decided that maybe they were a little too fiddly with the good parts of the tyranid codex, like the touchy uncle, who offers candy, and they make amends by releasing a codex update at the same time as the second wave...well then all might be forgiven.

Bonzai
03-03-2011, 14:03
I have made my conversions for both Harpies and Tervigons. The Tervigons I will certainly pick up some more of. That way I will use my converted ones as HQ's and the official ones as Troops, and have an easy way to distinguish them. With the Harpies, it will depend on the models. I used converted Ravners mounted on a flying base (which worked well, as they can use the Warrior HVC's). However if they are significantly bigger, I will certainly get some more.

Stickmonkey
03-03-2011, 14:34
Tyrant. Plastic.
Parasite. Vyper/wave serpent skimmer base, not flyer base.
Harpy. Flyer base. Harpy is about the size of a Valkyrie.

One thing I did not look closely at is the harpy/tyrant parts comparison. It's possible, though not probable, those might be a shared kit.

Blink
03-03-2011, 14:42
So the Harpy will be about the size of a Valkyrie... and yet it's one of the most fragile monsters and now almost impossible to give a cover save to.

=/

Stickmonkey
03-03-2011, 15:12
I think you need to invest in better terrain...

ForgottenLore
03-03-2011, 15:47
I generally find that to be universally true for almost all wargamers.

that is a discussion for another thread however.

Thanks for answering those couple of questions and thanks for the initial info.

Always appreciated (by me, anyway:rolleyes:)

Souleater
03-03-2011, 16:26
I am saddened that some good news on what is coming for nids is met with such a high volume of whining. :(

Yeah, they should have put Tervigons in the first wave, the FAQ sucked, and our codex is a bit buggy but could we avoid carping at the good news when we finally get some, eh?

GingerBalls
03-03-2011, 17:03
Lots of internal rumbling on a 2nd wave of tyranids. I don't have timelines, but expect it to hit before end of year, but after dark eldar releases complete that codex.
Cheers.

I hate to take anything away from the long deprived Tyranid players/fans but in reading between the lines does this mean ALL DE models will be out by years end?

MajorWesJanson
03-03-2011, 17:04
One thing I did not look closely at is the harpy/tyrant parts comparison. It's possible, though not probable, those might be a shared kit.

Honestly, a Tyrant/Swarmlord/Harpy kit would make sense. Swarmlord is just a weapons fit out, and the Harpy can use the tyrant wings. Just give it a different head, a change of legs, and put it on a flying base.

silverstu
03-03-2011, 17:28
I am saddened that some good news on what is coming for nids is met with such a high volume of whining. :(

Yeah, they should have put Tervigons in the first wave, the FAQ sucked, and our codex is a bit buggy but could we avoid carping at the good news when we finally get some, eh?

+1 - I'm just looking forward to getting some new very nice kits to build and paint[not to mention kitbash..]:D

naloth
03-03-2011, 17:49
I've converted up a Tervigon but I'll buy one or 2 if they are cool. I actually need a harpy as I've been proxying it with my winged tyrant and again if it's cool I might just get 2 'cause I like running things in pairs. I'll pass on the Doom and Parasite unless the models are "gotta have" impressive. That is after all why I own 2 pyrovores that have never been fielded...

de Selby
03-03-2011, 18:18
I deliberately held off on converting stuff that didn't have models so I'm still in the market for plastic tervigons, harpies and winged tyrants. Looking forward to seeing all of this with any luck.

nedius
03-03-2011, 18:55

The fact we're getting a 2nd wave in just under a year (still 10 months if it's a Dec release) is just news. It's not bad news, because we're getting a 2nd wave. But STILL having to wait till the end of the year means it's not exactly good news.

I'm glad it's happening, at last, but it does just smack of "we don't care about nids or nid players - we'll release something sometime." Especially when compared with the speed of releases for DE and BA.

Had this release been scheduled 6 months ago, or even one month ago, it would DEFINATELY be good news.

This is just news. And mostly expected news. And, I must say, the same 'news' as I've heard for some time. All this does is again re-enforce the end of 2011 report - so less news and more an affirmation.

What would be good news would be that the 2nd wave would come hand in hand with an FAQ update that includes some reversals of previous decisions, or even a new codex. Truth be told, I'd prefer them to hold back the second wave and redo the codex properly, release them alongside that.

MajorWesJanson
03-03-2011, 19:40
The fact we're getting a 2nd wave in just under a year (still 10 months if it's a Dec release) is just news. It's not bad news, because we're getting a 2nd wave. But STILL having to wait till the end of the year means it's not exactly good news.

I'm glad it's happening, at last, but it does just smack of "we don't care about nids or nid players - we'll release something sometime." Especially when compared with the speed of releases for DE and BA.

Had this release been scheduled 6 months ago, or even one month ago, it would DEFINATELY be good news.

This is just news. And mostly expected news. And, I must say, the same 'news' as I've heard for some time. All this does is again re-enforce the end of 2011 report - so less news and more an affirmation.

What would be good news would be that the 2nd wave would come hand in hand with an FAQ update that includes some reversals of previous decisions, or even a new codex. Truth be told, I'd prefer them to hold back the second wave and redo the codex properly, release them alongside that.

DE needed an entire new range, and sold very well, hence a second wave quickly.

BA had a wave that consisted of a mere two kits and a battleforce.

For the sounds of this nid wave it will be 3 MC kits, 2 metal characters, and a collecters metal Ymgarl.

As for the FAQ, some things can change, but Doom does not need any boosts.

Clang
03-03-2011, 19:46
So that's three new MCs in plastic? Converters rejoice!

Bonzai
03-03-2011, 21:21
Tyrant. Plastic.
Parasite. Vyper/wave serpent skimmer base, not flyer base.

Ah.... thanks for that bit. Heh, I've been enjoying my converted harpies, but they were smaller than they apparently are going to be. Good news is that I can use my models for Shrikes without any real issue.

Warpspider
03-03-2011, 21:38
I am glad that the Tervigons and hopefully the Tyrannofex WON'T look like the pics in the codex - those pics are terrible! Deliberately vague, if you ask me.

I've converted a harpy, a Swarmlord (complete with sparkly crystalline sword implants) a Doom, and a Tervigon. I'll still want the actual kits. At least one each.

I don't understand why non-tournament nid players bemoan the allegedly weak metagame. 1) Bugs are *supposed to lose*! Read Armor, or Starship Troopers, or any number of other books. Stop letting your fun playing be dependent on winning - it isn't (or shouldn't be). 2) Even in tournaments, I've done well with them. Maybe not won, but placed 2nd twice now. That's not bad. Most importantly, I had a blast the whole time. Bugs are evil, evil is supposed to lose. ;-D

Bestaltan
03-03-2011, 22:53

Are you serious? A T5 model with 4 wounds is the size of one of the largest non-FW models ever made by GW?

Poor carnifex is gonna have some major "size" issues at the end of the year.......

As for the whining......Sorry, but economics 101 states that if a company produces a sub-par product with sub-par performance and sub-par support, then customers can complain. Didn't realize we had to just grin and bear it.

-Loki-
03-03-2011, 23:00
I'd be really happy about the plastic Tyrant with wings if I didn't like the Forgeworld Tyrants so much. I'll stick to those.

I'll still use a plastic Tyrant for a Swarmlord though - it'll end up being bigger than the Forgeworld Tyrants, and look far different, which suits me. The description of the Swarmlord is 'what a Tyrant is to a Termagant'. Always felt lazy having them just be Tyrants with 4 swords.

Warpspider
04-03-2011, 01:35
The Ultraforge greater war demon wings are awesome. I used them for my Harpy conversion.

http://www.ultraforgeminiatures.com/?page_id=56

AlphariusOmegon20
04-03-2011, 02:18
I mean, how many people use the parasite or even harpies?

*raises hand on both counts*

Granted though, I run an all DS list.

PaperStraw
04-03-2011, 02:23
Too ask again in case you missed it the first time. Approximately how large are the Tervigon and Tyrannofex models when compared to the Carnifex or Trygon model?

-Loki-
04-03-2011, 02:33
*raises hand on both counts*

Granted though, I run an all DS list.

I would too if there were models.

But that's also due to my gaming group not having ridiculous armies, so I don't feel the need to either. And one of them is starting Dark Eldar, and a Harpy or two should have fun taking down Raiders.

Blink
04-03-2011, 02:56

I mean none of our models can obscure it and it can't turbo boost to give itself a cover save and it can easily be boltered to death. 4 easy heavy bolter wounds will be the death of it. Pretty pathetic for a model that size.

-Loki-
04-03-2011, 03:05
I mean none of our models can obscure it and it can't turbo boost to give itself a cover save and it can easily be boltered to death. 4 easy heavy bolter wounds will be the death of it. Pretty pathetic for a model that size.

Why are you getting it close to things that can kill it?

Keep it away from things that can kill it, and get it near things it can kill.

The Harpy is the most situational creature I've seen in the Tyranid codex. It excels against some armies and fails miserably against others.

I wouldn't hesitate to use one against Dark Eldar, for instance, but I'd never take one against Space Marines or Imperial Guard.

Blink
04-03-2011, 03:12

... What?

... Seriously, what? You don't HAVE to get it close to things that can kill it. Everything that can kill it can kill it from the full table away, let alone the half mark from faster units or from right up close with any drop pod unit. And it will go down VERY easy against 8 wounds caused by easy poisoned Dark Eldar attacks or otherwise.

Notanoob
04-03-2011, 03:13

Keep it away from things that can kill it, and get it near things it can kill.

The Harpy is the most situational creature I've seen in the Tyranid codex. It excels against some armies and fails miserably against others.

I wouldn't hesitate to use one against Dark Eldar, for instance, but I'd never take one against Space Marines or Imperial Guard.You don't need to get close to the Harpy to kill it, in fact the problem mentioned is those HB's which have a 36" range, which is fairly long.

Also, just a reason Cruddace failed, the bombs and screetch rule both require the Harpy to get close, yet it's easy to kill, has long range weapons and sucks in CC. Great game design, giving us contradictory rules and no choice but to pay for them if we want to use the creature in the first place!

Optimus Anakin
04-03-2011, 05:33
A year and a half after release, maybe more? If at the end of the year, as someone said earlier, that would be almost 2 years. For me this is too little too late now. Why would I be interested in it?

Or is this again, GW not carring about the vetreans who already has done the buying of other kits and doing thier own convertions, and only wanting the "young" fresh blood to buy everything?

Azzy
04-03-2011, 06:22
Woot! I'm more excited about these releases than actual Nid players.

And two years? I have no sympathy--do you realize how long Ork players waited for a Battlewagon kit? Other armies have had it worse off than this paltry year and a half.

Scythe
04-03-2011, 06:26
A year and a half after release, maybe more? If at the end of the year, as someone said earlier, that would be almost 2 years. For me this is too little too late now. Why would I be interested in it?

Because it might be new, cool models? What more reason would you need? For what it is worth, this rumour has perked my interest in Nids once more. Despite poor internal balance in the current codex, I play the army because I love the models, and will probably get some of the new kits, as I like the Tyranid designs.

demondriven
04-03-2011, 06:31

Can't believe somone hasn't made a comment about the tyranid codex being "buggy" yet...

When this thread first started, I marveled at how it was not immediately met with ****-amissom, but alas two pages in the chihuahuas appeared to start nipping at the heels of the messenger. Granted, it took a while to get the models, but at least you get the damn things. Not to defend GW, I disagree with a lot of their doings, but let's take a realistic look at what other things they've released since the codex came out. From a business stand point it does make sense not to blow your entire wad on everything for a line when it first comes out (you can make your own jokes about that sentence). While it is frustrating, it also makes the gaming public go "oh yeah, about those tyranids" again. GW isn't a company that makes just tyranid models. Maybe the stat line doesn't fit the size of a model, but hey, maybe the hobbiest in you wants to buy it just to put it together and paint. After all, this is a hobby. In particular a GAME you PLAY with MODELS. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare to beat the crap out of my opponents in the next tournament.....

Silent_Moebius
04-03-2011, 06:38
Are you serious? A T5 model with 4 wounds is the size of one of the largest non-FW models ever made by GW?

Poor carnifex is gonna have some major "size" issues at the end of the year.......

As for the whining......Sorry, but economics 101 states that if a company produces a sub-par product with sub-par performance and sub-par support, then customers can complain. Didn't realize we had to just grin and bear it.

Had to agree with all points. A whining carnifex, sitting in the corner of a room and screaming: "I was the BIGGEST!!!" *buhuhuhu*" ...

... What?

... Seriously, what? You don't HAVE to get it close to things that can kill it. Everything that can kill it can kill it from the full table away, let alone the half mark from faster units or from right up close with any drop pod unit. And it will go down VERY easy against 8 wounds caused by easy poisoned Dark Eldar attacks or otherwise.

Have to agree here, too. Don't go to near to the heavy bolter? Yeah, 36" is nothing on a 48" table .... :D

Souleater
04-03-2011, 07:21
As well as playing Nids I also play Dark Eldar (waited a decade for a codex), Necrons (how long now?) and am still using lead Sister of Battle models. To me two years doesn't actually sem that long. :eek:

Yes the figures could have come sooner. The Nid vets I know have simply converted fex kits because well...Trygons.

I think GW have only themselves to play for poor Nid sales. IMHO BA might be less 'deserving' than Nids but Dark Eldar had a very, very wait with some very ugly models. GW needed to ensure they gave them extra love and support.

I admit that I'm not happy with the state that Nids are in right now but I still love the army.

Blink
04-03-2011, 07:27
I hope Stickmonkey knows that none of the disappointment for how things are happening with GW is being aimed at him. I'm sure almost everyone has only appreciation and respect for him giving us answers and hope for our hobby by giving us a nice majority of the GOOD news available.

Thanks for continuing to do this Stickmonkey.

Rick Blaine
04-03-2011, 08:09
If GW had released all the models alongside the Codex, you lot would then complain how your army isn't getting any releases for ~6 years until the next Codex while those darn Orks, DE, IG... get 2-3 new things each year! So unfair :rolleyes:

nedius
04-03-2011, 11:42
Not at all. If we had all the models we needed, what would there be to complain about? We have every model available to us. We'd be happy with that.

I defy any player from any army to be happy if they have to wait 2 years after a codex release before perhaps THE most competative model in the codex is released.

IT's not just nids - there are other armies that suffer from GWs lack of consistancy on model releases. Orks, Necrons, DE (pre this release).

DE was a shining example of what GW can do when they get it right. A solid, intersting codex that is well balanced (very well written glass hammer list), quality model releases that are well timed. I don't like DE, but I can recognise a quality release when I see one.

So seeing what GW can do when they put their minds to it, then watching as other armies are left languishing just doesn't make me happy!

AS was said above, thanks to Stickmonkey for sharing the rumour! It's nice to hear these things are on the horizen, and I'm gratefull to HIM for sharing it.

I'm upset at GW that this rumor wasn't around 6-12 months ago...

Bonzai
04-03-2011, 14:06
Yeah... I have had some success with Harpies, but my Harpies were ravenor sized, and as such were able to get cover at times and hide.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/Bonzibomer/photo-2.jpg

But if they are going to basically be Harridan sized, it changes things considerably.

Deathwing_Matt
04-03-2011, 17:56

Economics 101 is actually "Wants are unlimited, but resources are limited" - hence why it'll take so long to get the models ;)

Still, as much as people whine on the internet, sure as hell isn't anywhere near as effective as voting with your wallets...

Blink
04-03-2011, 18:00
Haha that will probably look a little awkward.

*pulls out huge flier base and sets it on the table*

"Uh oh." The opponent begins to sweat as their expectations for something big get the best of them.

*Puts a dinky little winged model on the base*

*laughbox*

Blink
04-03-2011, 18:02
Economics 101 is actually "Wants are unlimited, but resources are limited" - hence why it'll take so long to get the models

And Tyranid players, who rock one of the highest selling xeno armies for GW up until recently, are upset that so little resources were allocated to them.

Voss
04-03-2011, 18:03
The irony is that, now that we've all converted and scratch-built our own tervigons/swarmlords/tyrannofexes/harpies, NOW they come out with the kits. They are running the risk of hurting their Tyranid sales even more by being so late, as unless the quality is incredible (which, I admit, it probably will be) a lot of folks will just go "Meh, I've already built my own".

Just skimming the comments in this thread, I think your analysis is off. Most of the commentators are salivating at the _possibility_ of new models.

Delta Echo
04-03-2011, 19:31
Thanks for the good news SM. I appreciate your efforts to try and give us the "inside track". The timing makes sense. After the mediocre codex and FAQ clubing GW gave us Nid players maybe pushing Necrons back into 2012 and giving us some fun models is their way of saying sorry. I always thought that you were supposed to buy someone dinner and drinks BEFORE taking advange of them, not the otherway around... but whatever, at this point I'll settle for whatever table scraps they throw our way. The two year wait for a second wave... it stinks for sure, but other armies have had to wait longer for high profile models as well. Nids are Xenos and like other Xeno armies, you/we had better be able to stomach the fact that Marines get that vast majority of GW's love. I'm not saying its fair, its just the reality we live in.

Its ironic that you brought up the possibility of GW redoing the Hive Tyrant model. I was just looking at mine this morning thinking he looked a little dated and small (FYI, he is about 3 1/2" or 9cm tall). The other models mentioned have me worked up as well and I can't wait to see pics of some of those sprues. Like most of the other Nid posters I'm sure I end up with at least a couple of the Tervigons, T-Fexs, Harpy and at least one of each of the others. As others have mentioned, I find metal Ymgarls and odd choice for GW given their max unit size. At this point I'm guessing that I will contine using my 24 stealers modded with alternate heads from another company. I'll still buy a couple just to have them (yes, I have a virgin pyrovore in my collection as well).

So, with SM's ND clause with GW, all we have to do is wait for him to stop talking about the Nid second wave and then start the 6 month countdown?

Happy Nid Player

Grunge
04-03-2011, 20:40
@Stickmonkey: Any more insight on both the Tervigon and Tyrannofex kits and model or base sizes? Also a little more insight on their actual looks when compared to other stuff would be awesome!!

That's pretty much what will matter to 90% of the Nid players in this release.

Also what do you mean by comparing Ymgarl Genestealers to Flash Gits? Size? Price? :P

victorpofa
04-03-2011, 20:50
I am definitely looking forward to a plastic Tyrant. I was avoiding it in my test lists because I did not want to buy that big metal model.

Born Again
04-03-2011, 22:56
Also what do you mean by comparing Ymgarl Genestealers to Flash Gits? Size? Price? :P

I assume he means that, like Flash Gitz, there will be a single pose metal model released, probably order only, so that they can say they make a model for the troop type, but unless you are in total love with the model or have a bottomless wallet most people will still be modding the standard plastics.

MajorWesJanson
04-03-2011, 23:14
Clarity. While it's footprint is similar in size to the valk, it is by no means as bulky.

So like the High Elf Dragon in fantasy? Large base, large wings, but otherwise pretty scrawny?

Nezalhualixtlan
04-03-2011, 23:36
That it for now.

Cheers.

Awesome, thanks for the update Stickmonkey, always appreciated.

Azzy
04-03-2011, 23:51
What really are the physical differences between normal Genestealers and the Gargle.. er, Ymgarl variety other than the feeder tendril heads? If there isn't anything significant, can't you do Ymgarl Genestealers with the existing Genestealer box without any additional alterations (aside from needing some extra feeder tendril heads)?

Bestaltan
05-03-2011, 03:26
Clarity. While it's footprint is similar in size to the valk, it is by no means as bulky.

Thank you, then. You can bet that, if the model ever gets owned (I say that because, given GW's prices, the only time I pick up anything new is when I win a tournament and use the prize money), that bad boy will be flying LOOOOOOW to the ground. Might even have to wire in some neon runners, as he will be my "Low Rider" :D.

@Voss--Might want to do more than skim then. While we appreciate the news that Stickmonkey has brought, I wouldn't say the majority are salivating for new models. Best they will get out of me for example is maybe a tervigon buy. And if you notice, most everybody else is talking about getting maybe one or two models at most to complement what they've already got/converted. The rest is too little, too late.

For example......WHY would I buy an expensive metal Ymgarl genestealer blister when I can pick up a box of 8 genestealers for probably the price of 2 blister packs? And why pick up a new winged hive tyrant when I've already converted my own?

As has been said, Tyranids have been one of GW's best supported (and bought) xenos armies since 3rd (when I got into the game). To see the support they are getting in this current edition is just sad.

Paedan
05-03-2011, 03:52
Or you can be like me, convert and magnetize 2 pairs of Gargoyle Wings and attach them to your Hive Tyrant's back. I don't think I'd get anything except for maybe one Tervigon (but then again I'll need to get a bunch of Termagaunts.... I'm a Hormagaunt fan).

silverstu
05-03-2011, 07:50
For example......WHY would I buy an expensive metal Ymgarl genestealer blister when I can pick up a box of 8 genestealers for probably the price of 2 blister packs? And why pick up a new winged hive tyrant when I've already converted my own?

Because you love collecting models? I wouldn't be looking to get a full brood of them- I prefer converting the fantastic plastics but I could see myself buying a single metal to paint up "for completeness". I'm not saying you don't have a valid point [and I've really appreciated your insights into nid tactics] -but I imagine a lot of 'nid players love the model range- the opportunity to add more variety to their collections is bound to be very attractive[especially if the kits are particularly good]. Plus there are the further possibilities of conversions and kitbashes to make even more monsters. I think the addition of a number of new nid kits will dramatically extend the visual imagery of the whole range.

ghoulio
05-03-2011, 08:38
There are a lot of things you can easily "hate on" in regards to the Nid army...one of those things ISN'T the model range though. Apart from the DE this is hands down my fav range GW produces and it is the only reason I keep coming back to this army. All the newer Nid models (basically from 4th ed on) have been incredible. It sucks that they are coming late and it is VERY true that there really is no excuse why the Tervigon wasn't available on the original release (it would be like having no Rhinos/Razorbacks for marines for 2 years after their book came out :P ).

Despite already building virtually everything on that list (sigh...yes, including the harpy :( ) I am sure there will be 1 or 2 things I will want to pick up. The news that we are FINALLY getting a plastic Hive Tyrant is by far the most exciting. Even to the point where I wouldn't care if nothing else was released for the Nid 2nd wave (although a spore would be nice).

Souleater
05-03-2011, 08:42
I'll almost certainly be getting one of everything out of that list.

Tyrant will depend on how buff the model is compared to my existing ones. Tervigons I might get two of.

Bestaltan
05-03-2011, 10:23
Because you love collecting models?

I certainly do, but not in metal. As has been said, plastic conversions are fun. Metal conversions.....Not so much.

I just don't get why they are taking the most mutable species in the codex (Ymgarl genestealers) and putting them in a metal range. Seems like a no-brainer to make them plastic or simply upgrade the existing genestealer box with an additional sprue (with an additional charge). THAT'S how you make money.

MasterDecoy
05-03-2011, 12:41
but all the parts for the ymgarl stealers are already in the exisiting box (admitditaly, just enough for 1)

Voss
05-03-2011, 17:38
I certainly do, but not in metal. As has been said, plastic conversions are fun. Metal conversions.....Not so much.

I just don't get why they are taking the most mutable species in the codex (Ymgarl genestealers) and putting them in a metal range. Seems like a no-brainer to make them plastic or simply upgrade the existing genestealer box with an additional sprue (with an additional charge). THAT'S how you make money.

It doesn't sound like they're doing them in a range. It sounds like someone did a single stealer and they did up a mould like they did for the single Flash Gitz model.

Azzy
05-03-2011, 17:55
There are a lot of things you can easily "hate on" in regards to the Nid army...one of those things ISN'T the model range though.

Agreed. As I've said before, I don't play the army, but I love some of the models--Warriors, Raveners, Trygons/Mawlocs, Termagant, Hormagaunts, Carnifexes, Genestealers, etc are all great looking models. The older stuff like everything from RT, 2nd ed. and some of 3rd ed. (like the Tyrant Guard, Biovores, etc.) look awful. Like with DE, the present line has come a long way. :D

When I get better finacially situated so that I can justify spending money on models that aren't for my army, I'll probably pick up some kits here and there (really looking forward to the plastic Tyrant). I suppose if I get enough I'll field them as an army, but more interested in them for building and painting as one of my friends already fields Nids.

but all the parts for the ymgarl stealers are already in the exisiting box (admitditaly, just enough for 1)

Shouldn't that be two (or have they changed the contents of the box)? Though if you field other broods of Genestealers you'll have a few more. Plus there's always bits sellers (like the Warstore and the like).

Delta Echo
05-03-2011, 19:32
It is 2. They still come in boxes of 8, with 8 standard heads and 2 of each of the 4 optional head types.

Alex_H
05-03-2011, 20:07
I am a bit worried about the new kits. GW have been doing some amazing work recently with their big nasties for Warhammer, but I have some major issues with them being only in one "pose" like the one hand in the air hell pit abomination. Given that a lot of so called competitive lists out their use multiple Tervigons I would hate to see multiple big nasties all with their front claw in a aggressive stance.

silverstu
05-03-2011, 22:01
Well one thing in the nids favour is that nid forms lend themselves to ball and socket joints thus far and there wouldn't appear to be any reason for that to change. Plus the continuation of such design enables kits to be compatible across the range- which if Jes is overseeing the range would be something he favours.

Angelwing
06-03-2011, 07:57
Agreed. As I've said before, I don't play the army, but I love some of the models--Warriors, Raveners, Trygons/Mawlocs, Termagant, Hormagaunts, Carnifexes, Genestealers, etc are all great looking models.
Agreed.

The older stuff like everything from RT, 2nd ed. and some of 3rd ed. (like the Tyrant Guard, Biovores, etc.) look awful. Like with DE, the present line has come a long way. :D
Well ones mans treasure is another mans trash. I love all the nid models!

Paedan
06-03-2011, 11:08
Well one thing in the nids favour is that nid forms lend themselves to ball and socket joints thus far and there wouldn't appear to be any reason for that to change. Plus the continuation of such design enables kits to be compatible across the range- which if Jes is overseeing the range would be something he favours.

Yes, the Tyranid models (well, that I've seen since starting 5th Edition Tyranids) are all so customizable, especially the plastic ones. Their unique look is the main reason I started 40K after 14 years of Fantasy.... no other army in the 40K universe look or play like them....

The fact that they also look like Aliens/Zerg helps as well. If they are doing new models, you know what I'd wish for? Ask Blizzard for the rights to make new Zerg-inspired Tyranid units, and give them official "40K rules" in each box. I bet you they'd sell like hotcakes if you were able to add your favorite Zergs to your Tyranids army.... anyways, don't mean to derail the topic.... I will probably buy a few boxes of Termagaunts and a Tervigon.....

battybattybats
06-03-2011, 11:13
I'm ecstatic about this!

Though i hope the Tyrant isn't much bigger, i'm really looking forward to making The Swarmlord and won't mind not finishing my winged tyrant if the wings are good.

I am worried about the Tervigon not looking like the pic cause i love the pic (the tyrannofex i hope doesn't look too much like it's pic though) but i'm hoping it will still be great. The Tervigon is something i really really want.

In fact the earlier rumours of the Tervigon coming out caught my imagination, reminded me of my love for Termagants, rekindled my painting and had me return to the game after months of Monsterpocalypse. Any GW staff here note: I have spent around $300 on my Tyranids in the last month because of this rumour and been painting miniatures i bought long ago.. and i do mean long ago as i even finally put brush to lead Strangleweb Termagants that i bought the week they hit the stores!

I'm hoping the Flyers WD expansion (if we do get one) may give the Harpy some extra survivability, but i want the mini anyway and i can always use it as a Harriden in Apocalypse.

I'd love a warrior upgrade sprue with shrike legs with clawed feet, wings, Prime parts and lash whip, bone swords etc.

Doom and Parasite I want too, and i hope the Ymgarls are multi-part and so poseable.

Old One Eye? Can't we just make him with existing Carnifex parts already?

I'm going to buy one of each of these unless any are truly terrible sculpts, but if they are great sculpts i will buy more than one of each and buy them faster!

And a better FAQ would be really nice too.

Blink
06-03-2011, 20:33
A better FAQ is what I am hoping for. The 4th edition tyranid codex, they fixed some point values. I'm hoping they do that again. Hey stickmonkey, do you know anything about the faqs? Who handles that anyway? Is the codex designer involved in any way?

Bestaltan
06-03-2011, 20:51
Be careful what you wish for. A "better" FAQ in GW's mind might be different than yours. ;)

Though an improved FAQ would be news that would make even grumpy old men like me excited.

MajorWesJanson
06-03-2011, 21:02
I'm hoping the Flyers WD expansion (if we do get one) may give the Harpy some extra survivability, but i want the mini anyway and i can always use it as a Harriden in Apocalypse.

I'd love a warrior upgrade sprue with shrike legs with clawed feet, wings, Prime parts and lash whip, bone swords etc.

Doom and Parasite I want too, and i hope the Ymgarls are multi-part and so poseable.

A Harpy to a Harridan is like a Storm Raven to a Thunderhawk. Similar role and appearance, but smaller by an order of magnitude.

Don't think there is a Warrior sprue coming.

Ymgarl stealer is a single Collecters model, likely a nice dynamic pose, but odds are against being posable.

Azzy
06-03-2011, 23:05
Don't think there is a Warrior sprue coming.

Which is a shame. I'd love to see a recut complete with wings and any other missing options (if there are any--not familiar with the kit).

Hive Fleet Snackin'
06-03-2011, 23:38
If they are doing new models, you know what I'd wish for? Ask Blizzard for the rights to make new Zerg-inspired Tyranid units, and give them official "40K rules" in each box. I bet you they'd sell like hotcakes if you were able to add your favorite Zergs to your Tyranids army.... anyways, don't mean to derail the topic.... I will probably buy a few boxes of Termagaunts and a Tervigon.....

Way back when, Blizzard and GW were working on turning 40k into an RTS. The deal never panned out, and Blizzard repackaged what they had as Starcraft.

Point being, GW doesn't really need to get IP permission from Blizzard because they created the Tyranids (albeit with inspiration from other sources) which very heavily influenced the creation of the Zerg.

Compare Hydralisks and Raveners, Carnifexes with tusks and Utralisks, forgeworld flying Rippers with Scourge. They're all the same things.

I'm surprised that either company hasn't tried to claim credit for the creation of orcs, the internet, or the wheel, they way they tend to lord over their IP.

Paedan
06-03-2011, 23:58
I haven't played Starcraft for years so I don't remember all the available Zerg units (and what about those available for Starcraft 2)?
These units can be used to fill any unfilled niches in the current Tyranid Codex.... of course, many Zerg lifeforms wouldn't be needed.... for example Zerglings pretty much equal Hormagaunts.

Hive Fleet Snackin'
07-03-2011, 00:06
Haven't played SC2, I fell out of computer gaming and am just waiting on Diablo 3.

I think the Tyranids have most of their niches filled, it's just that the things filling them don't perform their roles particularly well in many cases (I'm looking at YOU, Pyrovores and Lictors).

Paedan
07-03-2011, 04:30
Haven't played SC2, I fell out of computer gaming and am just waiting on Diablo 3.

I think the Tyranids have most of their niches filled, it's just that the things filling them don't perform their roles particularly well in many cases (I'm looking at YOU, Pyrovores and Lictors).

Sad, but true.... high far the mighty Lictors have fallen....

battybattybats
07-03-2011, 05:00
Starcraft? GW has been stealling Units ideas templates and game mechanics from Kryomek for edition after edition, codex after codex. Synapse range? Kryomek's Swarm-Master Control Radius you mean. Instinctive Behaviour? Kryomek. Rippers? They were called Helions in Kryomek. Venomthropes cover save? Oh the Swarm Master did that too? Increased control range power of the Tervigon? Oh Swarm Masters could do that too.

GW stole a lot from Kryomek, Blizzard stole a lot from GW.. and Kryomek stole a lot from Aliens and both Kryomek GW and James Cameron stole heaps from Robert Heinleins Starship Troopers (Gale Ann Hurd admits they were lucky they didn't get sued for Aliens on the Quadrilogy extras IIRC)

And Heinlein and George Lucus and GW and many many others stole from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman stories. and Doc stole from H.G.Wells.

Blink
07-03-2011, 05:07
Be careful what you wish for. A "better" FAQ in GW's mind might be different than yours.

Yeah, I'm worried that next thing you know, Swarmlords and Hive Tyrants will have to be on the board for their Hive Commander and Alien Cunning abilities to work. =/

They should really REALLY do some math for the statistics on some of their upgrades though. The fact that Crushing Claws statistically is a worse option than 2 Scything Talons shows they didn't put too much thought into it as an option.

Scythe
07-03-2011, 07:14
A better FAQ is what I am hoping for. The 4th edition tyranid codex, they fixed some point values. I'm hoping they do that again.

That would be a significant errata, not a FAQ. Very unlikely to happen, but it would be nice.

wyvirn
07-03-2011, 15:22
No, it wouldn't be an errata because most of the codex is fine. There are no obvious contradictions.

Have you not seen the new FAQ's? They all have gone from answering a couple questions that occassionally pop up to actually answering real questions. With logical and consistant responses to boot! I have no doubt that the new FAQ will follow suite. I think that like the codex, that FAQ was a rush job

MajorWesJanson
07-03-2011, 17:14
Which is a shame. I'd love to see a recut complete with wings and any other missing options (if there are any--not familiar with the kit).

I agree, but we generally don't see many recuts of plastics right now (barring ancient models like Dark Eldar). Priority seems to be hybrids and metals to full plastic.

Bobske
07-03-2011, 17:27
Cake and drinks for StickMonkey!!
One very happy Nid player who is almost finished painting his current nids, is bad with greenstuff (and all conversion's I've seen are ok but nothing spectacular), and wants everything

Tomb Kings, forget it!
(oh no better start really playing that other game after 20 years in the hobby)
I was hpoing for the plastic Hive Tyrant with wings and swarmlord options :)

Vaiuri
07-03-2011, 19:00
I've been playing with the idea of converting up a Tervigon in a similar way to this one: http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2011/03/converting-arachnarok-into-tervigon.html#more

This is a really nice idea, but a lot of an investment!

Big thanks to Stickmonkey for the news, any clues as to what the Tervi looks like in terms of the artwork we've already seen and the beauty I've linked here? Plus, what sort of release times are we looking at?

I've always loved nids but I havent touched this army in over 2 years and was quite disappointed by the codex and lack of models for the new units - please note, I dont include abortions like the Biovore and Pyrovore in the 'new model' category, although I couldnt personally do any better, I've seen the cats throw up hairballs that were better looking that these... things. Apologies to folks who do like these models, we'll have to agree to differ I'm afraid, but I'm just not a fan of suggestive fleshy parts on my figures!

I'm begging you Stick, rekindle the guttering flame of passion I have for my favourite xenos beasties, tell me they're more in tune with the Trygon than the Biovore!

battybattybats
16-03-2011, 17:38
Big thanks to Stickmonkey for the news, any clues as to what the Tervi looks like in terms of the artwork we've already seen and the beauty I've linked here? Plus, what sort of release times are we looking at?

Seconded. Thanks indeed!
If you can answer Stickmonkey, how different is the Tervigon from it's artwork (which i liked)? In what sort of direction did they take it?

Azazyll
22-03-2011, 00:32
I've been playing with the idea of converting up a Tervigon in a similar way to this one: http://darkfuturegaming.blogspot.com/2011/03/converting-arachnarok-into-tervigon.html#more

This is a really nice idea, but a lot of an investment!

That is awesome sick. The only thing missing are distended sacks with foetal termies hanging off.

Starcraft? GW has been stealling Units ideas templates and game mechanics from Kryomek for edition after edition, codex after codex. Synapse range? Kryomek's Swarm-Master Control Radius you mean. Instinctive Behaviour? Kryomek. Rippers? They were called Helions in Kryomek. Venomthropes cover save? Oh the Swarm Master did that too? Increased control range power of the Tervigon? Oh Swarm Masters could do that too.

GW stole a lot from Kryomek, Blizzard stole a lot from GW.. and Kryomek stole a lot from Aliens and both Kryomek GW and James Cameron stole heaps from Robert Heinleins Starship Troopers (Gale Ann Hurd admits they were lucky they didn't get sued for Aliens on the Quadrilogy extras IIRC)

And Heinlein and George Lucus and GW and many many others stole from E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman stories. and Doc stole from H.G.Wells.

Best not to even think of it as stealing. The last man to understand that ideas should be shared to grow was good old HPL, who pretty much everybody "stole" from, with or without his permission. People build off each others' ideas, and copyrights and IP are very, very new concepts in the artistic world. If you want people to buy your stuff, do it better.

MidnightKid333
23-03-2011, 16:19
id only consider picking up a tervigon kit, since its a bit of a challenge to convert one,
but if the parasite of mortrex's money cost is low, ill certainly pick one up,
harpies look too weak for my taste, and
doom of malantai's are pretty easy to convert, so i doubt many of those will sell.
ymgarls i just use normal genestealers and call them ymgarls, metal models sound pretty lame.
the old one eye is pretty bad, nobody ever uses him.
ill definitely get a mycetic spore though no matter how ugly it looks, ive been proxying my magnetized carnifex with no head or any arms as a mycetic spore and it is so lame to proxy stuff.

Wade Wilson
23-03-2011, 16:22
id only consider picking up a tervigon kit, since its a bit of a challenge to convert one,
but if the parasite of mortrex's money cost is low, ill certainly pick one up,
harpies look too weak for my taste, and
doom of malantai's are pretty easy to convert, so i doubt many of those will sell.
ymgarls i just use normal genestealers and call them ymgarls, metal models sound pretty lame.
the old one eye is pretty bad, nobody ever uses him.
ill definitely get a mycetic spore though no matter how ugly it looks, ive been proxying my magnetized carnifex with no head or any arms as a mycetic spore and it is so lame to proxy stuff.

same, i would defo pick up 2 or 3 spores and a tervigon(probably 2 if there was a t-fex too). Doom, ymgarls, parasite and old one eye...not a chance though. ymgaarls are great but hell i have 50+ genestealers already. Only 12 of them are the newer models so they can be ymgarls.

Aeron
29-03-2011, 12:39
So is this offical news then? Does it not count as a rumour - it's not in the rumour round up....

I'm curious about the hive tyrant the most. Its the same yet slightly different? Hmmm I really like the look of the metal tyrant. I dont know if its worth selling my metal tyrant now - (i dont use it much and is unpainted) Or to wait. I feel if it's not broke, dont fix it. I love the tyrant model, has an enchanting retro look. The new model could be not to my liking, but i digress.

I'm also intrested in the tyrannofex - I hope it's massive or at least looks like it has a 2+ save.... bit dissapointed with the loss of the carnifex[i] i "wasted" by converting into things. More money in GW pocket I suppose haha.

Massive cheers for posting these rumours, ive just started 40k and loooove nids. Best. Race. Ever.

Many thanks.

Nate.

Vampiric16
29-03-2011, 15:34
I converted a T-Fex and a Harpy already. Will only buy the new models if they are a) awesome, and b) substantially bigger.

Grunge
29-03-2011, 15:52
This thread needs more Stickmonkey.

It also needs more ETA's. The only models I didn't buy/convert are the Tervigons and Tyrannofex so I'm actually on a crappy situation right now. Should I buy them soon or should I wait a bit more?

I'd rather wait 3/4 months than convert something that will look crap in a few months :S

Grunge
30-03-2011, 11:06
Oh and by the way, I was just browsing Wayland Games and according to them the Hive Tyrant went on Direct Order Only.

EDIT: and it wasn't like that a few days ago because I ordered one and even it's price has risen now.

Ventus
30-03-2011, 14:27
Unless GW releases a decent nid errata/FAQ update along with the new models there is no way I plan to reward this company with any more money even if tempted by warrior boneswords/lash whips or tyrant wings (warrior wings also if they were included). GW needs to show it actually cares about the game and its customers, not just making money which is important obviously, before I can feel justified spending any more on their products.

Depulsor
30-03-2011, 15:20
The tervigon and the plastic tyrant sound really nice... although I maybe wait till they release a new tyranid codex.
This one was a bit too disapointing to support it. ;)

Grunge
02-04-2011, 15:18
So, no more info on this?

Any estime time of arrival? Or should I just go ahead and buy 2 Fexes and make Tervs? :P

jspyd3rx
02-04-2011, 19:57
My guess would be around the same time daemons got their wave. I think it might have been around July or August. Purely a guess though. I know their are tons of rumors of a lot of releases this year, though GW seems to be doing it.

Orphic
18-05-2011, 14:07
So with the Hive Tyrant listed as one of the 'Finecast' miniatures, how does that affect the new plastic Tyrant?