PDA

View Full Version : How do Spears work?

Abaddon676
03-03-2011, 00:43
I'm pretty sure I know... but I just want to double check with you guys.

Im using Orc Spearmen and have a few questions.

Firstly, do the Orcs get the Choppa rule that adds +1 Strength?
Secondly, Do they get +1 Strength on the Charge (because of the spears), my friend told me about this.
Thirdly, Do they get parry saves? (Spear + Shield).

Other than those, and the extra rank of attack, are there any bonus' with Spears?

Thanks in advance.

AMWOOD co
03-03-2011, 00:48
I'm pretty sure I know... but I just want to double check with you guys.

Im using Orc Spearmen and have a few questions.
Fire away.

Firstly, do the Orcs get the Choppa rule that adds +1 Strength?
Secondly, Do they get +1 Strength on the Charge (because of the spears), my friend told me about this.
Thirdly, Do they get parry saves? (Spear + Shield).

Other than those, and the extra rank of attack, are there any bonus' with Spears?

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes, you get the Choppa bonus (in the new book) for spears. And great weapons. And magic weapons. And fluffy bunnies if your Orcs are going to carry those.

2. That's for mounted troops. See your boar boyz about that.

3. No. That's for hand weapon and shield, not spear and shield.

Other: Other than the +1S for when mounted on the charge, which you mentioned earlier, no.

Kevlar
03-03-2011, 02:24
I believe you stick the pointy end toward your opponent.

LonestarrSB
04-03-2011, 02:13
spears in the new book add +1 str in the first turn of combat?

AMWOOD co
04-03-2011, 03:05
spears in the new book add +1 str in the first turn of combat?

You're thinking either the Choppa rule (Greenskins) or the Mounted bonus when charging.

Akusho6
08-08-2011, 21:30
So in the New Orc and Goblins Book, it costs 2 points a piece for Orc Boar Boyz to be upgraded with spears. If all mounted spears does is give you +1 strength on the charge, why pay for the spears in the first place if the new Chopper rule already does this? Do they now get +1 on the charge for spears and the subsequent turn +1 for their Hand wpns (chopper rule). OR does the Strength bonuses stack on the charge, giving you +2 (for mounted spears + Chopper rule). They do not clarify in the newest rulebook, or the new Orc codex. They leave it to interpretation.

RanaldLoec
08-08-2011, 21:39
Orcs mounted with spears on a charge get +2 strength.

+1 from the spear and +1 from the choppa rule.

The choppa rule works on any weapon used by an ork from the ork and goblins any book.

Be it a handweapon, spear, great weapon or magic weapon all benefit from the choppa rule on top of their ordinary rules.

Grimgormx
08-08-2011, 21:56
yes, if your orc warboss uses the giantblade (or giant sword) he gets +4 st in the first turn, then only the normal +3 st.

Grimgormx
08-08-2011, 22:09
Spears in infantry grants an extra line of attackers, so in a regular unit you fight with 3 lines, and in a horde you fight in 4 lines (normal infantry, HE would fight in a extra line, so 5 lines in a 50 + horde lancers, darn 51 attacks with ASF and reroll... darn I hate HE)

theunwantedbeing
08-08-2011, 22:19
yes, if your orc warboss uses the giantblade (or giant sword) he gets +4 st in the first turn, then only the normal +3 st.

Erm, pretty sure it doesn't work with magical weapons.

RanaldLoec
08-08-2011, 22:27
The orc and goblin book is quite clear

Pg 33

" This bonus is in addition to any other bonuses for weapons, magic items, spells and so on."

Oh and nice sig :D

minionboy
08-08-2011, 22:29
Erm, pretty sure it doesn't work with magical weapons.

Choppa works with EVERYTHING, even magic weapons.

To the OP's question:

On foot - one extra rank of supporting attacks, if you did not charge that turn.

Mounted - +1 Strength on the turn they charge.

Parry is only when using a mundane handweapon + shield, spears do not give parry.

Choppas give +1 S to the orc in the first round of combat. Choppas are not weapons, it is a special rule for the model.