PDA

View Full Version : Greenskins 2500pts (New shiny book)

SchultzChaos
03-03-2011, 16:38
So, with the new book in hand I sat down and tinkered with a list to kick a punch, and then in those games when my mates wanna go more competitive than friendly. Wad'ya think?

Savage Orc Warboss, gw, armour of gork
Savage Orc Great Shaman, lvl 3 w. shrunken head

Night Goblin Shaman
Night Goblin Big Boss, BSB, armour of silvered steel
Night Goblin Big Boss, gw

40 Savage Orcs, additinal choppa, big stabba, csm
49 Night goblins, netters, sm

40 Black Orcs, csm
3 Wolf Chariots, w. extra crew
2 Spear Chukkas

Rock Lobba
6 River Trolls
Snotling Pump Wagon

Total 2500pts

The idea is with a strong bunker for the bsb in the night goblin unit, and with two punchy units like blorcs and sorcs supported by the chariots and the trolls each. The reason behind a low level night goblin shaman is that I think it would be a crime not to test both the lores! ;)

Any suggestions for improvement, tactic-tips (specially against Skaven I think. The Hell Pit A-bomb is a real terror!) or just wanna chat with another greenskin player? I'm all ears.

Sincerely
Schultz

Nathangonmad
03-03-2011, 17:05
Ive yet to read the new army book in detail but that list looks pretty solid non the less.

also woo 400th post

Jind_Singh
03-03-2011, 19:24
mm, kind of cunning with the NG there - with that many characters and command it's very feasible that the BSB will deploy in the 2nd rank - and out of harms way! Cunning indeed!

This is very much like the army I ran in 8th with our old book - only swap savages for Orc boy big uns - and no NG characters - the army worked wonders but I did have the Waaagh spell to thank for that.

As a list it looks viable - only weakness I can see is if the Warboss dies early there will be problems keeping those trolls in line - it may be worth throwing a character (one of the NG big bosses) with his crappy ld 6 in there - better than ld 4!

You'll have to give it a shot - the wolf chariot choice is ace by the way!

Jind_Singh
03-03-2011, 19:26
Also for a small points investment the flaming banner on the Black Orcs would be ideal for dealing with regeneration on HPA or Hydras, etc - you should consider that gem of a banner!

GodlessM
04-03-2011, 00:34
Also for a small points investment the flaming banner on the Black Orcs would be ideal for dealing with regeneration on HPA or Hydras, etc - you should consider that gem of a banner!

I agree entirely with this. The trick then is getting the Black Orcs near a unit that will be terrified of them; even without the banner S7 will scare monsters.

Nathangonmad
04-03-2011, 01:53
I agree entirely with this. The trick then is getting the Black Orcs near a unit that will be terrified of them; even without the banner S7 will scare monsters.

Black Orcs are Str 5 basic now? Pretty awesome.

sssk
04-03-2011, 07:30
strength 4, but with great weapons (+2 strength) and choppa rule (+1 strength in 1st round) they get up to strength 7 for one round of combat.

I like the look of it (though it seems very elite for orcs). One thing I would suggest is to make the chariots 3 individual chariots, rather than 1 chariot unit. This would simply mean that a failed charge wouldn't scupper all of your chariots, and they could be used to support charges all over the place, instead of one all conquering SMACK! I'm currently on the hunt for chariots to test them out, I think there may well be something good there...

SchultzChaos
04-03-2011, 10:05
Thanks, for the replies guys!

@ Nathangonmad - I can only speak for myself, but when you hold that green piece of golden pages in your hands, you'll wish you can grow old together. ;) It's a tremendously good read with lots of nice bits here and there. Finally we got back the Greenskin-humour that the 7th ed-book lost (Snotlings, I'm looking at you).

@ Jindh_Singh - Thanks mate! I'll find points when I know my opponent will bring his A-bomb to my poor table. I'll then walk my blorcs right up to it and say; "Say 'hello' to my little friend!" and whack him with the banner.
I think the trick with putting characters in the second rank can be both abusive and in some way "kewl" and fluffy. I mean, why would the poor gobbo, who got ruffly handen the Army-Banna' (which will look like a big flashy target once on the battlefield), wanna stand in the way for an axe or a sword, when Gitspitta (that filthy git) could (maybe not 'would') more happily stand in the way for it?

@ GodlessM - Yeah, the whole idea with the blorc-horde is to intimidate my opponent! And I think that the unit will look quite aesthetic on the table. And, so once again; I'll look at the flaming-banner when the opportunity(stars) is(are) right!

@ sssk - I know it looks a bit unfluffy (like pillows with razorblades tucked into them are unfluffy), but I'll use my gobbo-hordes and orc-hordes in more friendly-games. My regular opponent (who am I kiddin'.. My only opponent), have a rather nasty Skaven-list that have at the moment only been brawling it out with my Empire-army, and a once in a time VC-army (My wraiths, and the vampire with them, cried hard tears of broken dreams when they met an A-bomb with MAGICAL attacks...). So the list is more pointed towards comp-isch battles. On the chariots, I'll try them in both a unit and in ones! That which drew me to use them as a unit is for the looks of it. My three chariots love to sit beside each others. ;)

// Schultz

Id'git Thwompa
05-03-2011, 16:57
Ummm correct me if I am wrong , but do you not lose the abilities of the BSB if he is in the second rank ? Has that changed now in 8th ?

Gaargod
05-03-2011, 21:01
In a word... yes.

There's a complicated debate on currently, but basically the issue is thus: You, by dodgy reforms etc, stick any character into the second rank and have him stay there, even if there's room in the front. They obviously can' attack as well (stuck with only 1A), but not really an issue for mages and BSBs.... well BSBs get free protection.

thesheriff
05-03-2011, 21:38
Looks good. I think mist comp O+G armies will be sorc and blorc hord based.

I'd probably drop the pump wagon for lv.4 on the shaman.

And, I would be tempted to drop the chariots for mangler squigs.

Thesheriff

patchy
05-03-2011, 22:51
its my belief savage orc cant have magic armour, if you can't have the option for mundane armour you can't take magic armour?? or has that not been errata'd yet?