PDA

View Full Version : Question about magic items contributing to points costs?

Mirbeau
04-03-2011, 01:34
This is such a fundemental question that I'm almost too embarrassed to ask it. I've looked through the brb and conducted multiple searches here, and I don't know if it's on account of tiredness, but I can't find anything.

Here goes - I've always played magic items taken by core choices as if they were their own force org slot, seperate to the usual catagories of core, lords, heros etc - and so don't count towards the minimum 500pts for core in a 2000 point army.

Conversely though, with lords, heros, specials and rare, I incorporate the points spent when totalling points costs, and count it towards my maximum 25% for each.

I've only just seen this as being illogical, am I doing this right? something tells me not.....

tmarichards
04-03-2011, 01:36
They do count towards their relevant army slot.

There's nothing in the rulebook to say this per se, but more importantly there's no exception made in the rulebook for core.

wilsongrahams
04-03-2011, 01:37
Yeah you're doing the Core part wrong. If a core unit has a magic item or a magic standard, or both, it is part of the unit's cost, and comes out of the core allowance, and so counts towards the minimum. You were doing it right with the rest of the army, seems strange why you did it wrong for core.

To put it simply, whichever entry allows you to take such an item, counts it as part of that entry in the same way as you upgrade a command from a basic trooper etc. If a unit states that it doesn't count as core, but is in the core section and can take a magic item for some reason, that cost is also ignored apart from for the total army size.

T10
04-03-2011, 10:39
Here goes - I've always played magic items taken by core choices as if they were their own force org slot, seperate to the usual catagories of core, lords, heros etc - and so don't count towards the minimum 500pts for core in a 2000 point army.
(...)
I've only just seen this as being illogical, am I doing this right? something tells me not.....

So magic items carried by Core models (and only Core models) count towards an separate points category? I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could lead to this interpretation.

-T10

Mr_Rose
04-03-2011, 11:15
So magic items carried by Core models (and only Core models) count towards an separate points category? I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could lead to this interpretation.

-T10
Paraphrasing Babbage to make a point about miscalculation? Well done sir.

Mirbeau
04-03-2011, 11:45

-T10

Hah, i like the Babbage reference!

I know, it's odd isn't it - and I've been doing it for 3 editions (+) of the game. It just always felt like cheating to take the minumum possible in core choices, I treated them differently to Hero's etc because you are given a minimum to work with,as opposed to a maximum. I think it was a sportsmanship thing (which holds no weight now that generally the more core you have, the better your army is) which over the years got confused for a real rule. Mental.

Thanks to everyone ^ for clearing that up!