PDA

View Full Version : New orcs... Boar boyz Vs Savage boar boys

Graves
04-03-2011, 20:01
There's really been a huge change with the dynamic of cavalry in 8th ed (unless you're a chaos knight, then who cares about getting hit back). And I'm trying to figure out what I want to take in my new orc army for cav... So here's the topic of discussion...

If you are forced to choose between boar boyz and savage boar boyz in a fairly cut-and-paste orc army.... which do you use, why, and do you make them big'uns.

Morkash
04-03-2011, 21:01
Modelwise, I'd go for the Boar Boyz. Awesome models, very feral and with alot of motion in there.

Gamewise, Savages with Spear/Shield seem relatively good. 3 S5 attacks on the charge (boar included) is not too bad, throw in a cheap Orc Big Boss and they could work well.

Boar Boyz lack the extra attack from frenzy and the 6+ wardsave, but their armoursave can be 3+ and they're a bit cheaper.

Lastly, the Big 'un upgrade: Since you only ever can have one unit of Big 'unz in the army, Boar riders are not the first choice. Savage Big'unz on foot with a Savage Shaman carrying the Shrunken head will be a common sight in O&G armies, I suppose.
Big 'unz have better WS and S which makes them alot better in prolonged combats, a situation which cavalry should avoid if possible.

Graves
04-03-2011, 22:39
hmm, good points all around.
I'm still undecided for my own army. Savage boys are brutal, especially with double hand weapons and a boss. But they're also fragile
Boar boys can still be pretty nasty, but lacking the extra frenzy attacks they can only support another charge, not really hold their own at all. And without frenzy you have a little more control over them.

I'm thinking 2 10 blocks of standard boar boyz (or 9 with a boss perhaps). Should come in under 200 with upgrades each

sroblin
05-03-2011, 09:26
I don't really see the problem with having one unit of each? If you take the save boar boyz with shields and spears, they are nearly as tough as the Boar Boyz if you factor in the effects of the ward save.

Thruster
05-03-2011, 09:53
I think it boils down to what role do you want to use them for. For flankers, survivability is very important. Since if you get reduce to less than 10 models, there is no more rank disruption. However, if you are going for mage or warmachine hunting, lots of attack per model is key.

snottlebocket
05-03-2011, 10:44
hmm, good points all around.
I'm still undecided for my own army. Savage boys are brutal, especially with double hand weapons and a boss. But they're also fragile

Shrunken head does a lot to mitigate fragile. Toughness 4 and a 5+ ward save is not very fragile at all. Discounting a third of all wounds is amazing, especially on large units.

Savage orc big'uns aren't even all that expensive, especially when you remember you can easily bulk out the army with cheaper troops. They hit like a ton of brick and flatout ignore a good chunk of damage done until they hit combat and the shaman dies. But at that point they should be able to handle things.

Squigkikka
06-03-2011, 08:20
I'd go with Savage Orc Boyz, and then a generous amount of them so that they may live through shooting and warmachines. 15 maybe? Or 10 if you're feeling lucky.

My reasoning is that when you take Boar Cavalry you want something that hits hard and decisive. When they charge you need them to kill, and then the Frenzied are really the ones that will do the work for you.

Might I even go so far as to suggest Big 'Uns even? They aren't really that much more expensive and gives a lot of value for the points. Extra WS and extra S means that the rider will have 3 S5 attacks with dual weapons on the charge, and then the boar comes in for another S5.

Kiras of the flame
06-03-2011, 08:39
they're both good choices as they're both tough gitz and look great for any Warlords arsenal... Me personally I'd take Boar Boyz because I love the look of the model...

Turtleking
07-03-2011, 14:09
It really depends on what you want to use them more and if you want them to survive longer on do damage?

I would not make them big'un's however. You only get one shot at that, the unit size is prob going to be small and its very high in point cost. No value to me.

In O&G I use calv as disruption. And goblin wolf rider field that role better then boars. But it depends on what your taking them for.

russellmoo
07-03-2011, 14:57
My boar boyz are regular with a spear and shield, I use them as a support unit/fast cavalry counter unit or monster hunting- so depending on what they attack their save is either a 6, but more often it stays at a 5+ once you take into account strength modifiers-

They also can tie up large infantry blocks as long as you can get to a flank-