PDA

View Full Version : Ard Boys Skaven

Tomalock
04-03-2011, 22:33
After doing quite well with my 2k Clan Pestilens list at a recent tourny, I plan to take Skaven to Ard Boys this year. I don't think I am going to run the fluffier version with Skrolk, so I've had to tweak it a little bit since Monks are no longer core at that point. Here it is:

Lords

Grey Seer w/ Screaming Bell (3 Plague 1 Ruin spell) 440pts

Heroes

Plague Priest w/ Plague Furnace 250pts

Core

Plaguevermin x40 w/ Shields, Full Command, Storm Banner, Poison Wind Mortar 460pts

Skavenslaves x30 w/ Musician 62pts

Skavenslaves x20 w/ Musician 42pts

Specials

Plague Monks x40 w/ Full Command 305pts

Plage Censer Bearers x5 80pts

Plage Censer Bearers x5 80pts

Gutter Runners x5 w/ Slings, Poison 90pts

Rares

Warp Lightning Cannon 90pts

Plagueclaw Catapult 100pts

Total: 2962pts

So there it is. As you can see I have a few points to play with. I am thinking Skalm on the GS or the Plague Banner on one of the Monk units might be a way to go.

As for the build itself and my thoughts on tactics.... I ran 2 Furnaces at 2k and they did an excellent job. I really like the Plague themed lists (you'll notice my Plaguevermin in a refrence to Clan Septik I am sure) so even when I run a GS they use Plague magic. I am going to try 1 at Ruin in case I get 3-6. If not then that is the one that I drop to the Dreaded 13th.

Basically the list has a solid wall of Unbreakable units at the core with a strong screen of Slave units to act as speedbumps or diversions. In support I have a good core of shooting machines and the Gutter Runners to target enemy warmachines. I am not sure how the Censer Bearers will translate into 3k, but in 2k they were my throwaway flankers that usually stuck close to Monks (for the bonuses) running behind some slaves. For the slaves, the two 20 man units are going to go on my flanks to protect my warmachines from scouts or the fast movers that want to turn my line. At 2k I ran all my slaves at 20 mans and they did exactly what I needed them to, so I am not too worried about them doing more than dying in places that are benificial to my gameplan.

Anyways, I have yet to play Skaven at 3k yet, but after my experiences at 2k I Am pumped to do so! Let me know what you guys think and where my weaknesses might be. On paper and with the previous tourny in mind, I feel that I cover all phases of the game pretty well, but let me know what you think!

arc
05-03-2011, 03:08
1. Give your grey seer some toys to play with, or at least some sort of protection.
2. Drop the two units of 20 slaves and make the remaining ones bigger. 50+
3. YES plague banner please!
4. I would drop the catapult for another unit of gutter runners.

Gooner
05-03-2011, 04:04
Id have to agree with larger units of slaves.

I just hope I dont run into you any time soon, I hate bells and furnaces.

I know you maybe dont want it for fluff reasons , but a hellpit would add a lot of power to your list.

Bob the Butcher
05-03-2011, 21:19
You can only take 2 Warp-lightning Cannons at less than 3k.

Plague Censor bearers work better in larger units due to their low Initiative.

Gutter Runners I find are great in units of 9 with Champion.

Surgency
05-03-2011, 21:27
if he's building a 3k army list, then he can take 3 WLC

I'd drop a unit of censer bearers to give the grey seer some things to work with... Skalm, and some tokens to chew on would be first on the list, maybe a power scroll, though I don't run with one myself

Tomalock
06-03-2011, 04:28
Hey guys, thanks for all the posts!

@arc
1) He gets a 4+ ward from the Bell, so any protection would be redundent unfortunatly, although I am still eyeing Skalm closely.
2) I just don't know about big units of slaves. I like having the smaller ones so I can move them around easier and I don't mind throwing them away. The smaller units actually work better with the furnace's than bigger ones do. When the enemy charges the slaves and beats them, they overrun into my furnaces (or stop right in front of them which works too). This means that the furnace's fight first in my turn, which is very important because the wrecker only works on my close combat phases. I also dont have to sweat over whether a big block will rally after I have them flee from a charge. The smaller blocks don't bother me. And lastly, having that many units messes with my opponent's head. I ran 4 blocks of 20 at 2k points and it threw people off when I had all those models on the table (I also had 2 furnaces).
3) I agree, it is an amazing banner. I tend to forget to use it when I take it, but I think it really makes the unit stupidly strong for that round haha. I'm actually leaning more towards that than Skalm because I like killy and the GS is sitting on a big bell with a 4+ ward already.
4) Thats a thought definatly. I was going to rely on the catapult and the mortar to be my horde busters, although with 3 WLCs and plague magic, hordes really aren't that scary I guess. Having 2 units of Gutter Runners causing havoc in the backfield would be pretty mean.

@Gooner
Thats a shame cause I love them! I haven't had a chance to run a bell yet, but I think having all 3 on the table will really force hard choices on my opponents. With the bell being more survivable, I am hoping that they gun for that unit first so that my Monks can get into combat and wreck stuff.

For Ard Boys, a HPA isn't excluded based purely on fluff, I can tell you that for sure. I just don't know where I would get the points. Maybe with the catapult and the Censer Bearers I guess. That would give me 4 serious targets for opponents to consider. The more I think about it, the more wickedly evil that addition sounds. Hmmm. :evilgrin:

@Bob the Butcher
Yeah, Ard Boys is a 3k tourny. Its no-holds barred with zero comp, paint, and sports. The only object is to win big (the winners of the 2nd round get a free army in addition to moving on to finals). It can be a lot of fun, considering it is a GW event that takes place at indy locations accross the country.

If I drop the Censer Bearers for the HPA then its a moot point, however I really have them there for the tests they produce and the fact that they can hit hard even with 1 or 2 of them. They are a supporting unit and rarely get sent in alone, unless I just want to hold up a unit or cause some havoc before my big boys go in. However, I am really starting to like the HPA as it will take heat off my Bell and Furnaces I think.

As for the Gutter Runners, I would be more likely to run 2 groups of 5 for the versitility that would bring then a big unit of 1. Their sole job is to kill a warmachine or two and focus attention away from my battle line. I think 20 poison sling attacks on a single target a turn is slight overkill and is pretty pricey for what it would do.

@Surgency
Yeah I have tried to fight the urge to wargear up my characters since they are high value targets just because of what they are riding. Skalm is definatly a tempting addition to keep him throwing plague on units well into the end turns, but the Plague Banner is sooo sexy! Its a tough call. Like I said above, I tend towards killy over survival, especially when he has a 4+ ward from the get-go. However it might be worth trying to fit both in. If I dropped the PCB's and the PCC to get in the HPA, that would leave me 48 points, so if I could pick up 12 more somewhere I'd be golden.

Again thank you all for the comments! One thing I am suprised about is no one commented on the shields for the Plaguevermin. I am up in the air on it as its 40 points only for enemy shooting and magic phases. I thought for sure someone would question it (and thats one of the main reasons I posted the list for discussion). While having a 4+ armor save to move accross the board, is it a good upgrade? I need atleast a portion of those points to stay in core so I can meet my minimums, but those points could always be spent elsewhere. Whats everyone think?

Tomalock
06-03-2011, 04:44
Ok so I was off on my points, if I drop the shields I am still just above 750 that I need. So with that in mind, what do you think about this list:

Lords

Grey Seer w/ Screaming Bell, Skalm, Warpstone Token x2 500pts

Heroes

Core

Plaguevermin x40 w/ Full Command, Stormbanner, Poison Wind Mortar 420pts

Skavenslaves x20 40pts

Specials

Plague Monks x40 w/ Full Command, Plague Banner 335pts

Gutter Runners x5 w/ Slings, Poison 90pts

Rares

Hell Pit Abomination w/ Warpstone Spikes 250pts

Total: 3000pts

So the changes were as follows:

Dropped:
-Plague Censer Bearers
-Plague Censer Bearers
-Plagueclaw Catapult
-Shields on Plaguevermin

Added:
-Skalm on Grey Seer
-Warpstone tokens x2 on Grey Seer
-Plague Banner on Plague Monks
-Hell Pit Abomination

What do you guys think?

Edit: If I were to keep the minimalist approach, instead of adding Skalm, the tokens, and the Plague Banner, I could have a 2nd unit of Gutter Runners for those 90 points. What do you guys think about that?

Bazzal
06-03-2011, 16:10
i personally loved the whole plague theme so gutter runners kinda away from that but the tokens are always a nice extra on the seer and would never take them with out skalm but i thin with your cannons and bell you shouldnt need a 2nd unit of runners :-) list looks solid

do you convert your plaguevermin or just stormvermin models?

Bob the Butcher
07-03-2011, 10:02
Another thing I have found to be pretty good is Skaven brew for the Storm Vermin but its a bit expensive but they fight much better.

As for the units of 9 Gutter Runners I find they work very well and give the champion Smoke Bombs in case they lose a combat. I used 3x 9 Gutter Runners vs. HE's and WE's and they tore them apart.
However as mentioned above they don't really fit a Plague type list.