PDA

View Full Version : First List 2000 point High Elves looking for advice

eron12
04-03-2011, 23:52
So I’m trying to plan out a starting army list to direct future purchases. I figured 2000 was a decent starting point and plan to work up from there. Units I already have are in green, things I would have to get are in red.

2000pt High Elves

Lords (315pts)
Archmage (315pts) Level 4 Wizard, Silver Wand, Folariath's Robe

Heroes (168pts)
Noble (168pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix

Core (480pts)
Probably not the optimal choice for core, but it’s what I have and I’d rather spend money on new special units before replacing core.

10x Archers, Musician
10x Archers, Musician
25x Spearmen (225pts), FC

My core isn’t quite high enough yet, but I have a few options. First, I could give the archers light armor, which would give me exactly 500 points, but I don’t know how much that would help them. I could give the spearman a cheap banner for 500 or 505 points, or I could bump a unit of archers to 12 for 502 points.

I was also considering adding an extra archer to one of the units and putting the archmage in there. This would hopefully keep him out of the worst of the fighting, but 11 archers seems like a fragile unit, and with Folariath’s Robe I don’t know how worried I need to be about close combat.

Special

I don't have any core units yet.
I’m really not sure about this section. I want to use a lion chariot (because it’s cool looking) to support a large block of elites, but I’m caught between 25-30 phoenix guard and 25-30 white lions. I’d also like to have a more damaging block of infantry, but I’m not sure if White Lions or swordmasters would be better. I know swordmasters would kill more, but they will also die faster to shooting. I guess I could also use a unit of dragon princes. I'm really looking for opinions on this section

Rare (200pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)
Great Eagle (50pts)
Repeater Bolt Thrower (100pts)

The bolt thrower may not be the best choice, but I want to try a little more shooting, and I have a bolt thrower. However it might be an easy place to pick up an extra 100 points.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
05-03-2011, 03:58
Hi eron my responses will be in blue

So I’m trying to plan out a starting army list to direct future purchases. I figured 2000 was a decent starting point and plan to work up from there. Units I already have are in green, things I would have to get are in red.

2000pt High Elves

Lords (315pts)
Archmage (315pts) Level 4 Wizard, Silver Wand, Folariath's Robe

Good choice for a general. I'd give him either the Talisman of Saphery or Talisman of Preservation for additional protection.

Heroes (168pts)
Noble (168pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Great Weapon
Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix

Can't go wrong with the cookie cutter BSB

Core (480pts)
Probably not the optimal choice for core, but it’s what I have and I’d rather spend money on new special units before replacing core.

10x Archers, Musician
10x Archers, Musician
25x Spearmen (225pts), FC

My core isn’t quite high enough yet, but I have a few options. First, I could give the archers light armor, which would give me exactly 500 points, but I don’t know how much that would help them. I could give the spearman a cheap banner for 500 or 505 points, or I could bump a unit of archers to 12 for 502 points.

I was also considering adding an extra archer to one of the units and putting the archmage in there. This would hopefully keep him out of the worst of the fighting, but 11 archers seems like a fragile unit, and with Folariath’s Robe I don’t know how worried I need to be about close combat.

Or you could just give the spearmen unit the warbanner magic item to fill out your 500 pts. allotment. I tend to give my 10 man archers units a standard & musician with a block of 25 spearmen with full command to fill out my 2000 pts. core requirement. They have performed rather well with that setup and are a boon for Blood & Glory battles (due to the extra standards the archers carry)

Special

I don't have any core units yet.
I’m really not sure about this section. I want to use a lion chariot (because it’s cool looking) to support a large block of elites, but I’m caught between 25-30 phoenix guard and 25-30 white lions. I’d also like to have a more damaging block of infantry, but I’m not sure if White Lions or swordmasters would be better. I know swordmasters would kill more, but they will also die faster to shooting. I guess I could also use a unit of dragon princes. I'm really looking for opinions on this section

IMO I'd probably go with White Lions first then work your way to the phoenix guard. The ability to ignore forest terrain, stubborn, & good armor saves vs. shooting attacks with the ability to ASF with great weapons have pretty much won me over the Swordmasters with their multiple attacks & Phoenix Guard with their ward saves. Plus it a good bunker unit with the BSB & Mage (especially if the Mage has Lore of Life). The Lion Chariot are pretty good too but require considerable effort to use if you play with a lot of forest or dangerous terrain.

Rare (200pts)

Great Eagle (50pts)
Great Eagle (50pts)
Repeater Bolt Thrower (100pts)

The bolt thrower may not be the best choice, but I want to try a little more shooting, and I have a bolt thrower. However it might be an easy place to pick up an extra 100 points.

If you go with RBTs go with at least 2 as 1 will never perform as well on it's own. I would also take at least 2 Great Eagles at 2000 pts. They are the best warmachine hunters in the army and can help in a pinch for added CR bonuses for flank or rear charges.

I hope that helps.