View Full Version : Fun with Kadon Vampires

Snake1311
05-03-2011, 01:23
Vampire
Talisman of the Lycni
Power Scroll
Forbidden Lore: Beasts

Comes to a modest 190 points.

Can some kindly VC player work this into their list and playtest it for me?
At this cost you won't even need to tweak your list much, and you surely have vampire-on-foot models

I don't think I need to explain how it works.
Also, go for the Chimera

sulla
06-03-2011, 04:16
What happens if your opponent charges you? You would almost have to keep him the unit with the regen banner.

WusteGeist
06-03-2011, 04:57
This build has a serious problem or 2.

1 you will misscast, and there is a chance that you might kill yourself or blow up a large chunk of whatever unit your in or near. Several armies have ways to tweak your misscast so that its the worst possible one.

2 sure you make yourself into a beast but if you dont break them or some how fail to make a charge. Then the spell will just be dispelled. Also there is the matter of timing. If you jump the gun and cast it before you get stuck in, then well your just in trouble.

nagash66
06-03-2011, 06:46
I think this might work as a kamikaze missile. Charge first and then cast in magic phase, that way all of templates miscasts will hit your opponent, and the beast will be in combat right away.

Ultimate Life Form
06-03-2011, 08:21
Expensive, and risky. However, could be devastating if it works. But what would be a good target? Honestly I don't expect him to make his points back under most circumstances. To take down soft targets like an enemy Mage, you don't need Kadon, and if you go against bigger targets you'll run into serious trouble the second Kadon is dispelled.

nagash66
06-03-2011, 09:15
I would think big enemy's monsters, characters on dragon and other beats or just the now almost extinct knightstars.

Not saying it is good or wise but i will give it a shot, sounds like fun to try if nothing else.

Pskyrunner
06-03-2011, 09:43
possible to go with a etheral lord + forbidden lore?

is he also etheral with kadons spell running?

EDIT: red fury working too then?

Snake1311
06-03-2011, 10:55
Expensive, and risky. However, could be devastating if it works. But what would be a good target? Honestly I don't expect him to make his points back under most circumstances. To take down soft targets like an enemy Mage, you don't need Kadon, and if you go against bigger targets you'll run into serious trouble the second Kadon is dispelled.

I think this is nastier than it looks, mostly because of the average 15 attacks + stomp + breath coming off the chimera. I reckon it would make its points back, and more, in most circumstances. Against, lets say, hammerers, it will kill roughly its worth in points in that first round - and we have to consider the implications of using it in a combined charge with something which removes steadfast to add heaps of kills and help break a unit.

This is meant to be a 'go in and die' kind of unit - my assumption is that, with a bit of luck, the opponent will inflict 2 wounds on the T10 monster, and then dispell it in theri magic phase. On the positive side, that dispell is effectively mandatory due to the threat - so you are giving up one of your magic phases for Kadon, and opponent gives up theirs to dispell it.

The talisman gives him M9, so you have the advantage in getting the charge over most things. Obviously this is where generalship comes in.

WusteGeist:

1. AFAIK only the 1st result (2-4) is problematic; the ones that damage you are irrelevant, and the ones that drop templates on you are actually beneficial.

2. Big M characteristic makes it likely you will make your charge, if you plan it well and aren't extremely unlucky (but that applies to everything in WHF). You simply woudn't powerscroll the spell until after you're in combat with your target.

Last few notes:
- in a closed list, this will catch a lot of people off guard - beasts lore isn't very popular, and the vampire model is just a standard on-foot guy
- in an open list, the simple threat of it should pressure your opponent enough to make it worth while, even if the vampire doesn't make its points back

But this is all speculation, and valid concerns have been raised. I'd like to see results from someone playtesting this

Snake1311
06-03-2011, 10:57
possible to go with a etheral lord + forbidden lore?

is he also etheral with kadons spell running?

EDIT: red fury working too then?

Non-item buffs should still be working (so yes to ethereal / fury monsters), but at that point the risk becomes too high due to the point increase (+105 for the hero to lord at least) and the return increases are pretty marginal. It will most likely still die the turn after it charges regardless of what you equip it with, so keep it on the cheap

Ultimate Life Form
06-03-2011, 12:00
Well, it sounds fun enough anyway. I'm tempted to give it a try, if only I had someone to play against. :cries:

Kevlar
06-03-2011, 15:13
Better have a model for that chimera. If all you have is a hydra or dragon, well then that is what you are. There are versions of the spell to fit those models.

Ultimate Life Form
06-03-2011, 15:27
Yeah, because there are so many Chimera models...

By the way, why does it have to be the Chimera? Any specific reason?

WarmbloodedLizard
06-03-2011, 19:01
Better have a model for that chimera. If all you have is a hydra or dragon, well then that is what you are. There are versions of the spell to fit those models.

that's just your opinion. :)

Snake1311
06-03-2011, 19:07
Yeah, because there are so many Chimera models...

By the way, why does it have to be the Chimera? Any specific reason?

Had a browse over the creatures the spell can bring up; the chimera has by far the highest damage output (do correct me if I'm wrong). The advantages of its closest alternative, the great fire dragon, seem mostly irrelevant - 2+ scaly skin is nice, but we aren't going for survival, and its damage output is far less even considering +1 WS and +1 S (this is off the top of my head, at uni atm)

Isn't the chimera a hybrid of various other animals? Just chop up some children's safari toys and stick them together, plus some GW bits to hit the requirement for it being a 'GW' model. Its kinda similar to the HPA before the recent mini - you could bring an actual dead rat stretched over GW sprue bits if you wanted to ^^