PDA

View Full Version : Any typos or faults in the new O&G book yet?

huinipachutli
05-03-2011, 13:44
I got hold of my O&G book two days ago and has since then skimmed it through for typos or faults (Just for fun).

So far I've only noticed that the choice for the great cave squig costs 10 points more if taken by a hero Night Goblin Big Boss than if taken by a Warboss. Is this intentional?

Have anyone else noticed anything that didn't really seem right?

Ultimate Life Form
05-03-2011, 13:48
So far I've only noticed that the choice for the great cave squig costs 10 points more if taken by a hero Night Goblin Big Boss than if taken by a Warboss. Is this intentional?

I doubt anyone here knows a definite answer to this. :rolleyes:

But 'tis strange, normally Lords are supposed to pay more.

Avian
05-03-2011, 13:59
Probably, since the Big Boss gains 1 wound, while the Warboss doesn't (as he has the same number of W as the Squig already).

Malorian
05-03-2011, 14:40
I've found one problem: I haven't gone to the mall and gotten it yet ;)

And as Avian said there is a good reason for the point difference.

Kalandros
05-03-2011, 15:46
pg 96 - the 3 orc boyz at the bottom, they say an orc with 2 choppas and light armor costs 8 pts, but its 7.

huinipachutli
05-03-2011, 15:51
Probably, since the Big Boss gains 1 wound, while the Warboss doesn't (as he has the same number of W as the Squig already).

The problem is; a gigantic spider also got 3 wounds, but their points costs are the other way arond (choice cost 10 points more for lords).

Tzeentch Lover
05-03-2011, 16:29
Savage Orc Big'Uns(On foot) don't have the option of a magic banner for some reason.

Shimmergloom
05-03-2011, 16:40
They didn't last time either.

Apparently they forgot how to take them after 6th edition.

UberBeast
05-03-2011, 16:42
There was some minor error in the description for the mangler squig, but it was merely a surplus word. I believe is was "the it".

Flitzz
06-03-2011, 13:01
Maybe I have read the choppers rule the wrong way, but it seems like it does now work for cavalry - leaving the question why I should buy a spear:shifty:

ihavetoomuchminis
06-03-2011, 13:04
because spear would give you S5 on the charge, S6 if the model is big'un

Kalandros
06-03-2011, 13:07
Maybe I have read the choppers rule the wrong way, but it seems like it does now work for cavalry - leaving the question why I should buy a spear:shifty:

Choppa rule stacks with any other bonus, Spear becomes like a Lance (+2S on charge) and Magic Weapon also get +1S first round on top of other bonus.

Uberskooper
06-03-2011, 14:35
I got hold of my O&G book two days ago and has since then skimmed it through for typos or faults (Just for fun).

Have anyone else noticed anything that didn't really seem right?

This statement sums up a lot of what I don't like about wargamers on the Internet. You get a new armybook and the first thing you do to have fun with it isn't read the stories, look at the pictures, or plan armylists and strategies. Instead you have fun by finding typos. I don't get it. You want to find things to complain about on the Internet?

Also the cost disparity for equipment thing is pretty common. My lord level character pays more to ride a horse than my hero level character. He also pays more for a great weapon. Don't they both get their weapons from the same armory? Flaw spotted!

SamVimes
06-03-2011, 14:39
Erm, don't think he told you to get your fun finding typos. If that's what tickles his fancy, let him. As for the equipment disparity, it's because a hero pays MORE for something than a lord, which is unusual (and not consistent with the costing of the comparable spider). It's something to talk about, which is kinda the point of Warseer.

Breazer
06-03-2011, 15:05
i can not seem to find how to upgrade an orc hero to bsb... it is not optional in the build section...

SamVimes
06-03-2011, 15:07
There's a little box at the bottom of the page saying you can upgrade any big boss to a BSB. They moved it from the unit description to it's own sub-entry.

Breazer
06-03-2011, 15:08
thank you...i was starting to worry...its a weird spot though...
very easily overlooked

Da GoBBo
06-03-2011, 16:00
This statement sums up a lot of what I don't like about wargamers on the Internet. You get a new armybook and the first thing you do to have fun with it isn't read the stories, look at the pictures, or plan armylists and strategies. Instead you have fun by finding typos. I don't get it. You want to find things to complain about on the Internet?

Also the cost disparity for equipment thing is pretty common. My lord level character pays more to ride a horse than my hero level character. He also pays more for a great weapon. Don't they both get their weapons from the same armory? Flaw spotted!

This statement sums up a lot of what I don't like about wargamers on the Internet. A new armybook is released and the first thing you do to have fun with it isn't read the stories, look at the pictures, or plan armylists and strategies. Instead you look for threads started by people that enjoy their new book in a fashion unlike your own and start whining about it. Get over yourself man. You don't have to read any threads here and posts like yours arn't constructive at all. Mine isn't either, but I don't have a life, so I don't care. I'm just here to join you in your whining.

Ultimate Life Form
06-03-2011, 16:05
And once again the spirit of WhineSeer is invoked. :shifty:

While it may seem a bit petty to skim the book for typos and mistakes, it must also be said that one usually doesn't have to look very thoroughly to spot them, and given the prices, it is also perfectly legitimate and justified to call out GW on the numerous flaws in their products.

IVEATCH
06-03-2011, 16:31

Typos are a curse. Fact checking and proof reading are important. When you read your daughter's high school history book, and it flatly states that President Richard Milhouse Nixon was the first U.S. President to visit the Soviet Union, you know someone(s) has forgotten about FDR in Yalta during the war.

Is it to much to ask?

Leogun_91
06-03-2011, 22:22
Is it to much to ask?Yes it is, no matter how much you check your facts and spelling there will always be that one thing you miss. No matter is it is an extra word ("the it" in the current O&G book) or a president you forgot about (like in your daughters history book) this is why it is so important for kids to learn to critically check their sources and double check their facts in school.

Kalandros
07-03-2011, 03:00
Its really bad even in the newspaper you will see that sort of thing.
Quality control has gone down the crapper for more than just Games Workshop.

Its obvious they don't care and don't check because everyone finds it immediately when they have the book in their hands.

Lugburz
07-03-2011, 10:04
I thought the Giant Squig's "Supreme Bounder" rule should be "Supreme Bouncer", but perhaps there is another meaning to the word "bounder" that I'm not familliar with :p.

Dutch_Digger
07-03-2011, 10:38
Its really bad even in the newspaper you will see that sort of thing.
Quality control has gone down the crapper for more than just Games Workshop.

Its obvious they don't care and don't check because everyone finds it immediately when they have the book in their hands.

Especially the newspapers. Don't forget it's just simple folk trying to write down their daily juicy stories. I do feel that 'better' newspapers have better grammar in general, not that it makes them better by default, but intensive checking is a side-effect that shows quality.

Maybe it doesnt say anything about vetock's dedication, but it does say something about the process that comes after he is done.

- if you want to find typos in this book, the fluff section is crawling with em.

Odin
07-03-2011, 10:56
Especially the newspapers. Don't forget it's just simple folk trying to write down their daily juicy stories. I do feel that 'better' newspapers have better grammar in general, not that it makes them better by default, but intensive checking is a side-effect that shows quality.

Not to mention it's all a huge rush to get a paper written by the print deadline. And most newspapers are full of lies, propaganda and wild speculation.

But it does seem odd if a spider costs more for a Lord, but a Squig costs more for a Hero.

Vashta
07-03-2011, 13:03
bounder - someone who bounds or leaps

bound

1. To leap forward or upward; spring.
2. To progress by forward leaps or springs.
3. To bounce; rebound.

Peder
07-03-2011, 14:04
There's a big mistake in the spanish version of the book, in the description of the 100 points magic armour. It's actually better if you follow the spanish description, since it always gives +3 toughness :D

There's a whole line missing, I'd say.

Leth Shyish'phak
07-03-2011, 15:15
Since the big squig is a monstrous beast with 3 wounds, the big boss gets an extra wound from it while the warboss doesn't. It makes sense for the big boss to pay more.

Kalandros
07-03-2011, 15:55
Not a fault in the book but in the usual bad battle report GWShop writes for White Dwarf magazine:

Unit of fleeing goblins pass through River Trolls and GWShop wrote "they miraculously pass their panic test". River trolls are Stupid - thus ITP at all times.

GWShop shows once more that they throw in rules not only without testing but without even playing them correctly. Highly unprofessional.

Dutch_Digger
07-03-2011, 16:15
if trolls could panic from fleeing goblins, i wouldnt even consider them.
Any chance that line 'miraculously pass their test' was meant in a sarcastic way?
(as ItP makes them auto pass the panic test).

snottlebocket
07-03-2011, 17:23
Since the big squig is a monstrous beast with 3 wounds, the big boss gets an extra wound from it while the warboss doesn't. It makes sense for the big boss to pay more.

I don't understand this. How does the boss get an extra wound from the squig having 3?

Kalandros
07-03-2011, 17:24
if trolls could panic from fleeing goblins, i wouldnt even consider them.
Any chance that line 'miraculously pass their test' was meant in a sarcastic way?
(as ItP makes them auto pass the panic test).

No, they said that because they have LD4.
Gwshop doesn't know how to play, its not the first error they make.

I don't understand this. How does the boss get an extra wound from the squig having 3?

Big Boss has 2W, GCS has 3W - You take the highest W value for a model that has a Rider + Monstrous Beast. Doesn't apply to Monsters and Chariots being ridden, only for multi-wound mounts that you cannot strike at.

snottlebocket
07-03-2011, 18:23
No, they said that because they have LD4.
Gwshop doesn't know how to play, its not the first error they make.

Big Boss has 2W, GCS has 3W - You take the highest W value for a model that has a Rider + Monstrous Beast. Doesn't apply to Monsters and Chariots being ridden, only for multi-wound mounts that you cannot strike at.

Ah a new rule I was unaware of, thanks.

minionboy
08-03-2011, 00:38
Typos are a curse. Fact checking and proof reading are important. When you read your daughter's high school history book, and it flatly states that President Richard Milhouse Nixon was the first U.S. President to visit the Soviet Union, you know someone(s) has forgotten about FDR in Yalta during the war.

Is it to much to ask?

Pics or it didn't...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dXvGSWAPHOE/S3M-Jch7AOI/AAAAAAAABbs/mRkuSt0fEtI/s320/FDR-Yalta.jpg

CRAP!

Da GoBBo
08-03-2011, 11:05

Yes it does, strange the same doesn't go for the spider. A big boss on a giant spider also has 3W right?

Leogun_91
08-03-2011, 11:14
Yes it does, strange the same doesn't go for the spider. A big boss on a giant spider also has 3W right?That is correct but the spider increases armoursave by +2 rather than +1 and I reckon they value the higher AS more for the more expensive model. In addition to this the great cave squig gives a unit he joins a bonus, something the very cheap big boss can use to give all your squig hopper units re-rolls of their movement.

Da GoBBo
08-03-2011, 11:30
Wait what? SWEET! :cool: I completely overlooked that. That makes for a very nice mount indeed, I'v allways liked unit buffs and this one is pretty awesome. +2 As is nothing to sneeze at either.

Malorian
08-03-2011, 20:14
Wait what? SWEET! :cool: I completely overlooked that. That makes for a very nice mount indeed, I'v allways liked unit buffs and this one is pretty awesome. +2 As is nothing to sneeze at either.

Yeah that rule surprised me too.

*reads squig hopper page*
NO ONE CAN JOIN SQUIG HOPPERS!!!
*turns page*
...except for a big boss on giant cave squig...

Why didn't they just include that in the squig hopper rule :wtf:

ihavetoomuchminis
08-03-2011, 20:21
because the main tools used to make this book are the keys Ctrl, C and V of a keyboard.

Leogun_91
08-03-2011, 21:22
Why didn't they just include that in the squig hopper rule :wtf:They still had to write the bonus a great cave squig gives to a unit of squighoppers and decided to have it written at the same place.