PDA

View Full Version : Warboos on Wyvern, but not Azhag.

Turtleking
05-03-2011, 18:29
New Orc and Gobo player. Love Azhag sculpt. Don't love Azhag. Both in points and fluff I don't really get it. So I'm making a alternate option but need input.

The book gives me 3 choices for basic characters that can ride a wyvern.
A Orc Warboss - A savage orc warboos - and a black orc warboss. The latter two are 50 points more expensive then the early one, with stats that are nearly exactly the same. Other then the one point in ws for the Borc of course. But the Savage orc warboss and black orc warboss do come with a lot of special rules that make them more beasties.

Question 1 - Which one would you use, and why?

Question 2 - How would you equip them?

Cheers,

Squigkikka
06-03-2011, 07:55
Most people go for the normal Orc Warboss now, but it's not a completely given option. However, with frenzy you've got to try to charge at a bunch of really inconvenient times for example, and even if you can prevent it on a LD of 9, it's still a risk you might not want to take.

The problem with the Black Orc is that the only thing you truly get out of him is the ITP and one extra WS. There's no boyz you can quell animosity for, your boss is going to spend points on magic armor and weapons (so his heavy armor and armed to da teef you dont benefit from either).

So, I'd go with a normal Orc Warboss. Safest option and most value for the points.

Not sure what I'd buy for him though, but I would be really tempted to try Armor of Gork on him! Why? Well, it protects him quite alright... but the really cool thing is that it gives you D6 impact hits! Get him the sword with extra strength and you'll get:

4 Attacks from the boss on S7
3 Attacks from the wyvern on S6
D6 S6Thunderstomp
D6 S6 Impact hits

How cool isn't that? Of course, a ward save is still something amazing and your only way to save yourself from warmachines

How about the Armor of Gork, Talisman of Preservation and dual hand weapons for a really tough character with some fun mechanics? Or Armour of Destiny and then something choppy.

Harwammer
06-03-2011, 09:05
You can't combo other items with armour of gork squigkikka.

The threat to the warboss is artillery so he'll need a wardsave. AoGork isn't helpful vs S9 or 10. Secondly there is a good chance his wyvern will be shot out from under him so you want him to be able to run solo too. Based on these thoughts armour of destiny + crown of command may be good ideas. You can also throw in a cheap magic weapon if you like.

Other thoughts are that you'll probably want a second warboss to function as general. In this case you may need to keep the wyvern rider cheap. If this is the case it may be a good idea to put other prime artillery targets on the board: giants, arachnaroks, great squig riders, etc. This will force your opponent either to split his fire (making it more likely the targets survive) or focus on one model a time (meaning by turn 2 or 3 he'll be in combat with a bunch or giants, etc).

Kiras of the flame
06-03-2011, 09:22
um Harwammer... it's Arachnarok....

and yeah if there's one thing about the Greenskins, the more the merrier... if we're going big make sure we have some guys that are bigger than empire townhouses.... I've used my Giants to this effect... and while I do admit it's cruel to use the big lugs as cannon magnets... they do that job perfectly... and when they hit the front lines... now that's fun stuff.

nothing says threatening like a drunk giant coming towards you

Squigkikka
06-03-2011, 11:23
You can't combo other items with armour of gork squigkikka.

The threat to the warboss is artillery so he'll need a wardsave. AoGork isn't helpful vs S9 or 10. Secondly there is a good chance his wyvern will be shot out from under him so you want him to be able to run solo too. Based on these thoughts armour of destiny + crown of command may be good ideas. You can also throw in a cheap magic weapon if you like.

Other thoughts are that you'll probably want a second warboss to function as general. In this case you may need to keep the wyvern rider cheap. If this is the case it may be a good idea to put other prime artillery targets on the board: giants, arachnarocs, great squig riders, etc. This will force your opponent either to split his fire (making it more likely the targets survive) or focus on one model a time (meaning by turn 2 or 3 he'll be in combat with a bunch or giants, etc).

Oh wait, the armour of gork is 100p? Wow. That's a bloody terrible item then. Screw that!

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2011, 12:36
I'd go with the Orc warboss with Armour of Destiny, a GW and maybe the crown just incase. Armour of Gork could be fun but you need other juicy targets in your list.

I've heard it's possible to have two wyverns @2400+ pts.

I probably wouldn't do it but imagine that with two Arachnarok spiderdons :eek:

It would be crazy, maybe even crazy fun.

Da GoBBo
06-03-2011, 13:00
Yes, Wyverns have become 20% cheaper and those 2400 points include a full magic loadout for both lords. Keep em naked and you can fit a lv.4 in there as well. Seeing the awesome new Wyvernmodel and the fact I have the former one fully painted as well, I'v been thinking along the same lines and glue Spidey together and let my old Maraudergiant stretch it's legs. It leaves enough points for a zound of gobbo's and a bulky orc unit. Still, half your points in five models ... yikes.

Ronin[XiC]
06-03-2011, 16:59
4+ wardsafe armor + shield
Dragonhelm
+ cheap magical weapon

-> 3+ armorsafe (at least something)
4+ wardsafe
2+ wardsafe against flamming attacks.

General is now pretty much unkillable against the correct enemy and he is still under 400 points and thus quite cheap.

I've used the Wyvern in my last 10+ games and only lost im a couple of times.
he adds to the army

LD 18" bubble !!!! which is absolutely enormous.
Flying unit
Hard hitting unit

decker_cky
06-03-2011, 17:20
Talisman of Preservation, charmed shield, some weapon. Much better against cannons.

Ronin[XiC]
06-03-2011, 17:21
true, true, but weaker against everything else :P

decker_cky
06-03-2011, 18:21
;5362999']true, true, but weaker against everything else :P

Everything else = flaming attacks only? :P

I wouldn't take the wyvern rider as my general btw. You can easily take 2 orc warbosses with 1 on a wyvern then support your magic phase with heroes. I think that's the better way to do things.

Ronin[XiC]
06-03-2011, 18:30
You have one less armorsave
Heavy Armor + shield + ridden = 3+
Add the Dragonhelmet and have a pretty mighty 2+
I kinda miscalculated that in one of my earlier posts...

But it's true that you don't need to have the wyvern as your general. Unfortunately I love my level 4... so I can't fit in another warboss into 2400 points :(

Tedurur
06-03-2011, 18:50
But both the helm and the armour of destiny is magical armour so you cant take both?

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2011, 19:16
But both the helm and the armour of destiny is magical armour so you cant take both?

That's correct.

Turtleking
06-03-2011, 19:49
Wow, incredible input so far. Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Gork, 2 Wyverns and 2 spiders at 2500 points in nuts. It would just be hella crazy to look at that list. And I agree with everyone else, I have no intention of making the guy my general, I would just like to fit one in my 2500 list that does not play horrible.

It seems we are stuck in between two options.

1 - Do we want him to last longer and survive?
2 - Do we want him to hit hard?

Tough choices.

Ronin, other then just faring well has your Boss on Wyvern killed anything? What do you use him for?
Thanks for the input so far guys.

Gork or Possibly Mork
06-03-2011, 20:03
Wow, incredible input so far. Thanks for all the ideas guys!

Gork, 2 Wyverns and 2 spiders at 2500 points in nuts. It would just be hella crazy to look at that list. And I agree with everyone else, I have no intention of making the guy my general, I would just like to fit one in my 2500 list that does not play horrible.

It seems we are stuck in between two options.

1 - Do we want him to last longer and survive?
2 - Do we want him to hit hard?

Tough choices.

Ronin, other then just faring well has your Boss on Wyvern killed anything? What do you use him for?
Thanks for the input so far guys.

Yeah it is pretty nuts. I would probably try it a few times just for fun. I won't be fielding a wyvern or Araknorok(s) in my regular list. In larger games i would though.

GodlessM
07-03-2011, 14:35
I'd definitely be taking the Ironcurse Icon on him anyway, so at least the Wyvern stands some chance against Cannons and the like.

Wade Wilson
07-03-2011, 15:05
If i was to go for the boss/wyvern option i think i would rather go for the cheaper bog standard Orc Warboss and fully kit it out with talisman of preservation, the +2 armour save shield and bashas axe. Its cheap enough to allow a level 4 shaman with you in the Lords section in games of 2500 points but killy enough to make a mess of powerful units with a high armour save.

3+4++ sv
5 S6 armour piercing (S7 on the charge) attacks...(even better against Dwarves)
3 S6 poisoned attacks
D6 S6 thunderstomps.
Causes terror, flies, has an 18" Ld bubble, etc etc

...thats alot of bang for a Lord who comes in at well under 400 points

The one major problem is its asking to be shot to bits by all of your opponents cannons. But as a daemon player thats somthing im used to. this warboss could take on any greater daemon (barr a bloodthirster)with that rather OP armour that negates magic weapons) or Chaos Lord and would absolutly hammer similarly priced Daemon Princes. Also at the cost of this kitted out Lord you could have a hoard of big uns instead...

Rule of cool - if you want a MacDaddy Orc Warboss on a flying bat/dragon/thing then its a win!

Multra
07-03-2011, 17:05
I got the Azhag model a couple weeks ago to use as my warboss on wyvern (Enjoy putting that beast together =S. I used 1/16th in. rods to pin everything together.).

I use the standard orc warboss lord with shield. Armor of destiny, amulet that lets you reroll all armor saves, weapon that gives +1 to attack, and potion of speed. He clocks in at 373 points and takes quite a beating to down.

Turtleking
07-03-2011, 19:17
Nice Wade. It's interesting to hear that other people are using the Wyvern as well. When I first started looking at it I just presumed that it was to high of a point sink for anyone to really play it.

My fear is that even if I fielded a Spider god AND a Giant people would still shoot at my Wyvern.

Thruster
08-03-2011, 03:53
Before the new book came out, I have been using him to fly over opponent's block and charge at the wizard/warmachine in the back of his block then turn around to rack up CR by combine charging into the rear of the block that is already in combat, giving +3CR + kills. Works nicely, although I dropped it and went with 2 giants instead. With price drop to warboss and wyvern, I might use it again.

As for equipment, I prefer giving some armor and not so much weapons. This is because I suck at rolling 3+ to hits and most of my kills come from auto-hit stomping. I feel my wyvern is best use as hitty support and not in the main line. I don't even use him to hunt monsters as it's a waste of stomp attack. Warmachine does a better job against those.

Turtleking
08-03-2011, 04:23
I tend to use wolf riders to work over my opponents war machines. Sending a Wyvern after them would be quite a shock! :)

Urgat
08-03-2011, 08:37
Oh wait, the armour of gork is 100p? Wow. That's a bloody terrible item then. Screw that!

I think it's a great item; sure it's 100pts, but it's basically an armor plus a weapon. Just put it on something fast and hitty to get to use it to its best capacity. It's going on my common goblin warboss (riding a wolf), he usually runs around lending his Ld, so he occasionnally blunders and allows potshots at him, so I've always fitted him with protective items, well now he may attempt a charge on something smallish (already engaged) if the occasion arises. Given him a great weapon, too.

Thruster
08-03-2011, 09:10
I tend to use wolf riders to work over my opponents war machines. Sending a Wyvern after them would be quite a shock! :)

Well, I sent him after hellcannon(warmachine) and a bunch of beastmen wizard behind herdstone usually.

Although wolfrider can do the same , it usually take 3 turns because they have to go around the enemy blocks when wyvern just fly over them. Wyvern then will be behind the enemy line where it can give you a ton of CR in the 3rd turn.