PDA

View Full Version : Heresy Era Fun, Part 2(pics)

Yodhrin
25-03-2006, 14:16
Thread Contents/Updates:

Heresy Era Fun, Part 1. (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28681)

Pictoral guide to Doghouse's method. (http://photobucket.com/albums/v208/Hazmat_captain_ZERO/tutorial-truescale/?multi=1&addtype=)

Some examples of his work(scroll down for Marines). (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24463&page=3)

Yodhrin
25-03-2006, 14:17
Hello there folks.

I intended to finish off my first test mini before I posted this, but it's taking too long and Im eager for people's first impressions. Links to pages with updates or tutorials will be posted above, so nobody has to trawl through if they just want to look at the (hopefully)pretty pictures :p

So, a short while ago, I posted a quick tutorial on making Heresy Era bolters from the current plastics. While I liked the result, it still didnt seem enough like the older style, so Ive been working on various additional prototype designs.

The focus of this thread, however, will not be on just weapon conversions. The reason I started with the whole pre-Heresy bolter gig is that soon, I hope to have an entire army of 13th Company Space Wolves who, without exception, will be in pre-Heresy armour, that is, MK1-5 with the odd MK6 thrown in(which I can explain away as scavenged from a dead Traitor Marine before it was corrupted, heh).

The pics that will follow are not very pretty. I experimented with the truescale method first used by Doghouse over on the B&C for quite a few weeks, and most of them failed miserarbly, heh, so some of the bitz Im using are a little mangled and glue-melted.

First, the "army":

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WolfPacks01.jpg

As you can see, the basis for the conversion is the trusty old Chaos Warrior plastics. The entire lot is still in the leg-manufacture stage, in which I spend a lot of time trimming down the boots and swearing(bloody hobby knife), then swearing some more as I repeatedly attempt to get the Green Stuff to stick and/or form the shape I want :D

Next, a detail shot of the two most advanced legs:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot01.jpg

Most of it's just copying the pics Doghouse made, referancing Marine plastics sometimes. I also found that the precision applicator on my poly-cement is perfect for forming little rivets, which if you look (very) carefully, you should see on the rim of the boot(it always bothered me that the seemingly solid boot sole would just bend like rubber, so I added those little joints). Once the lower leg detail is completed, Ill be using the furred-cloaks from the same box to make the backs of the torsos, and sculpting the fronts from scratch to resemble the various different types of pre-Heresy armour. The white plastic is a little 1mm spacer which will lift the cloak part up a little, and should give better proportions once the model is complete. EDIT: I should add that the bases are temporary. Once the sculpts on those legs are complete(should be Monday-ish), Ill be re-basing them on 40mm scenic bases, as all will have eventually. They're just too massive for the 25mm bases if you plan to put anything else on there.

Im planning to finish the first pack of 8 Grey Slayers and a unit of Fenrisian Wolves as soon as I can, hopefully before the start of the summer campaign, so at least I can play some combat patrols. I might manage more, I might fail in even that lowly goal, depends entirely on how much work my college lumps on me after Easter break.

Updates whenever I can.

Inquisitor lorr
25-03-2006, 16:26
Wow these look great,are you using them as 13th company ,if so that will be awesome i have wanted to this for ages,But don't have the skill.

PS. will you be doing a tutorial at the end of one marine:D

Yodhrin
25-03-2006, 16:37
Wow these look great,are you using them as 13th company ,if so that will be awesome i have wanted to this for ages,But don't have the skill.

PS. will you be doing a tutorial at the end of one marine:D

I am yes. Normal 13th Co models(combo of Marine and Chaos bitz) look good enough, but not enough models were in actual pre-Heresy armour for my taste. The fact that you dont need a huge amount of models to get a decent size game going with 13th Co makes it a very attractive list for those of us who enjoy converting a lot.

Ill do a tutorial once I finish the first pack, otherwise it would slow down my sculpting too much(and Im slow enough already :p).

Inquisitor lorr
25-03-2006, 16:47
cool-please say you'll try a wulfen:p

malika
25-03-2006, 16:56
For some reason the feet look somewhat too big, or are you also going to beef up the legs?

Some guy (UK)
25-03-2006, 18:27
I share your opinion on that one malika. Very impressed so far though :)

Later, Some Guy (UK)

A neutral shade of black.
25-03-2006, 18:44
For some reason the feet look somewhat too big, or are you also going to beef up the legs?

Click the links provided in post one; doghouse's enlarged marines have actual greaves which neither of Yodhrin's two leg pairs feature yet.

Anyway, I was a great admirer of doghouse's DA on B&C (and had no idea he was the one responsible for that massive ork boss). I'm interested in seeing what this ends up as; so far, so good - you're successfully emulating the look of the boots.

Warboss Garfang
25-03-2006, 22:17
Wow, that's quite a project, can't wait to see more. Looks like it should come out very nicely though, the more advanced sets are off to a very good start.

MIGHTYPanhead
25-03-2006, 22:52
good to see people using that tutorial! (glad, I saved it aren't you!!!!!)

I'll reserve my comments on the boots until the greaves are done, but it looks good so far!

Yodhrin
26-03-2006, 00:49
good to see people using that tutorial! (glad, I saved it aren't you!!!!!)

I'll reserve my comments on the boots until the greaves are done, but it looks good so far!

Damn right I am, I would have been sitting on my hands with nout to do otherwise, heh.

Im working on the right greave of the more complete test mini now, that should give you guys an idea of how it will look in the end, pics when Im done. I hope to finish one tomorrow, depending on how long the torso and arms take to sculpt. This one will be a Wolf Guard Pack Leader with power fist and bolter in MK2 "Crusade" armour.

EDIT: One greave is done, but I messed up the rivet pattern, and the batteries in my camera are dead. Update tomorrow.

Yodhrin
26-03-2006, 20:42
Update time!

I attempted to sort the leg, but it didnt work too well, so I stripped off the greave and started afresh. Ill be adding the rivets once I can get my hands on some decent plastic rod(my local hobby shop only have this hollow crap with metal in the middle; total bastard to cut and file). WIP shot, and I found a comparison pic online, for those of you who've not seen the pre-Heresy armour styles.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot02.jpg

And the old MK2 model, this model won't feature the helmet, and any that do will be using the updated helmet design shown in C:SM artwork.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/mk2.jpg

It should be solid soon, so Ill do the other side and get to work on the top half.

Kasrkin 666
27-03-2006, 00:17
:eek:
Is that a mini.Cuz if it is Holy Fcuking God!
-666:evilgrin:

Yodhrin
27-03-2006, 00:36
Is that a mini.Cuz if it is Holy Fcuking God!

Yup, that's one of the old pre-Heresy metal casts, it's actually smaller and more petite than the current plastic range :D I think you can still get them cast to order from MO if you ask nicely, heh.

Time for a quick update before I head to bed.

Left Side:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot03.jpg

Front:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot04.jpg

Blurry size comparison:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot05.jpg

Once Ive added the torso and filled that neck socket a bit(too deep for Marine heads, the Warrior plastics have longer nubs on the base of the head) it should reach about one and a half to two heads above a standard Marine, and have the bulk to carry off the extra height. The right shoulder on this guy will be coming off, as that arm is going to be outstretched, firing his bolter, while the powerfist hangs down on his other side. The shoulderpads will be bulked out and given rims so they look more like Marine shoulders.

Hopefully Ill have some WIP shots of the torso for you all tomorrow night.

Ray K.
27-03-2006, 02:37
Hey... this is a REALLY great project. It's inspired me to pick up a box of WHF Chaos Warriors and pull some kinda crazy with my Black Templars. I can't wait to see how your project turns out, it already looks like it's going to end amazing... as well as slow and painful ;)

Yodhrin
27-03-2006, 22:10
Torso time! :D

I started work on the torso, still got the central power cable and the final chest armour segment to go, just waiting for the first lot to dry off. I managed to do the left shoulderpad while I was at it, again the finishing touches will go on once it dries. Im considering taking a slice off the bottom and bulking out the top of the pad more, I think I might have set it too low on the torso, but we'll see what happens once I finish. I also started working on the legs for the second marine, who will be in MK3 "Iron" armour; Ill be putting some exposed cables into the indent at the back once I tidy it up a bit.

Pack Leader:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot06.jpg

MK3 guy:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot07.jpg

tzeentchgiant
27-03-2006, 22:19
"Looking great" doesn't seem to cover it, amazing seeming such a huge number of models prepped for the next stage, so "looking great" :).

However, I do think that on the next few the feet should be thinner, the chunky lower leg looks out of proportion (even compared to other pre-heresy models) and needs a bit of TLC IMO.

ABTTR (Acronym Boy To The Rescue)

TG

Yodhrin
27-03-2006, 22:47
"Looking great" doesn't seem to cover it, amazing seeming such a huge number of models prepped for the next stage, so "looking great" :).

However, I do think that on the next few the feet should be thinner, the chunky lower leg looks out of proportion (even compared to other pre-heresy models) and needs a bit of TLC IMO.

ABTTR (Acronym Boy To The Rescue)

TG

They are a bit on the large side yes, but I like 'em that way. The legs on Marines always seemed really weedy compared to the artwork, plus they wont look quite so huge once the torso, arms and head are all finished(remember, the current torso is the equivalent of the inset area with the cables on normal Marine torsos, so once the main chestplate goes on the top it's going to be fairly big :p)

I have been trying to alter the feet on the more recent sculpts though, make them a little more rounded, as I felt the first one especially looked a little square-footed.

Inquisitor lorr
28-03-2006, 16:54
I think the legs look ok,i think on the bigger base they will look better too. I love the greaves in the artwork,the raptor in Taros is awesome and they have bigger legs.

Ray K.
28-03-2006, 22:20
One thing bothers me. Do they all have the same exact "walking" pose?

devolutionary
28-03-2006, 22:28
The Chaos Warrior legs are all on a simultaneous march, so yep, same leg positions. It's what puts me off trying it too, I like a touch more variation in my poses. There's only so much you can do with the same legs.

Looks bloody nice though, will be awesome once finished :D

Yodhrin
29-03-2006, 12:34
Aye they're all the same position(there's some slight variation, but not enough to be noticable from a distance). I like it, however, gives them an air of unstoppability; you can just imagine them marching straight into the teeth of the enemy lines, blasting away with bolters and cutting down anyone who tries to stand before them :evilgrin:

Update tonight, hopefully.

tinfoil
29-03-2006, 16:15
Aye they're all the same position(there's some slight variation, but not enough to be noticable from a distance). I like it, however, gives them an air of unstoppability; you can just imagine them marching straight into the teeth of the enemy lines, blasting away with bolters and cutting down anyone who tries to stand before them.

Agreed. En masse, chaos warrior/csm conversions look looming and implacable -- a relentless force, scattering their quailing enemies before them as they advance. The look works especially well for marines toting bolters, plasma guns, flamers, melta-guns. Though it works less well for large heavy weapons such as las-cannons and missle launchers.

Awesome start, Yodhrin. This project is going to be a lot of work, but it's shaping up beautifully so far.

Yodhrin
29-03-2006, 21:58
Just a quick update tonight, got a load of bloody Javascript work to do for tomorrow so my sculpting time was limited. I chipped the belt buckle that was there previously off, as it seemed a bit on the small side, and Ive now put down the exposed cabling, the first layer of upper-torso armour(the next layer will square it off a little and add raised edges) and started the framework for the bolter arm. If you look at his base, you should see the powerfist arm(sans elbow at the moment, heh) and my new WIP pre-Heresy bolter prototype. Im going to do the Pack in stages; 5 man Kill Team, 6 man combat patrol-level squad, full 8 man version, so the other four legs for stage one are there WIP too, with the closest to the Wolf Guard being the MK3 legs I showed you earlier(with some refinements), the rest Im not decided on yet.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot08.jpg

malika
29-03-2006, 23:34
Oh this is very cool looking! Like I mentioned about your bolters, you should post a tutorial at the ASP too :D Too bad you're not making Alpha Legion ;)

30-03-2006, 09:23
Looking awesome so far, but why sculpt the shoulder pads? Methinks keeping the standard ones with your correctly sized marines would have looked at least semi-intelligent (rather than oversized bits of nonsensical stuff).

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I hope your painting's as good as your sculpting. Can't wait to see a KT of these guys.

Hideous Loon
30-03-2006, 11:17
ANSOB, I don't think he's done yet, the shoulderpads will sort themselves out in good time.

I like it, them Chaos Warrior legs are perfect for true-scale Marine conversion projects.

Yodhrin
30-03-2006, 11:23
Looking awesome so far, but why sculpt the shoulder pads? Methinks keeping the standard ones with your correctly sized marines would have looked at least semi-intelligent (rather than oversized bits of nonsensical stuff).

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I hope your painting's as good as your sculpting. Can't wait to see a KT of these guys.

Sculpting on pads with GS is actually less effort than cutting and filing plastic pads to fit into the curvature of the cloak. Im picking up some super-fine grade sand paper when my bursary arrives tomorrow to smooth the pad out a bit, and it still needs the rim added.

Also, I seriously doubt I will be painting these well, as most of my knowledge of painting is academic, gleaned from the web and watching staff and players at the local GW. The last time I actually picked up a brush was at some point in 1999 :p Still, Im hoping if I take my time and concentrate, Ill be able to get them to a good enough standard.

doghouse
01-04-2006, 19:15
Absolutely brilliant job mate, I'm seriously impressed! :)
I really like the way that you've taken the original concept and adapted it for the 13th company with older armour variants!
Great job so far, I'm definately going to be following your progress on this one. :)

Yodhrin
10-04-2006, 22:26
Cheers mate, Im glad you like them :D

Ive been a little lazy of late, plus my eye has been caught by other projects which Ill hopefully be posting up soonish. I do have a bit of an update though, the first part of which is to retract what I said above about the shoulderpads. The reason they were easier to sculpt is because I was just making extra work for myself at an earlier stage, and Ive found that if I just use clippers to chop off the existing Chaos Warrior pads, it leaves a nice flat surface for attaching the plastic pads to, whereas before I was carving them out by hand to match the curvature of the cloak as I was with the "socket" arms further down.

Anywho, I have some pics of the MK2-armoured Wolf Guard Pack Leader, who now just needs some sculpting done on the arms and detailing(smoothing out the chestplate and adding rivets on every flat surface, heh). The head is a temporary addition to give you an idea of how the final product will look(just imagine it with a huge great beard + loads of hair :p ), and he's now been given some brass wire studs on the bottom of his feet to help secure him to the new 40mm scenic base Ive built for him.

Front:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot10.jpg

Right Side:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot11.jpg

Yodhrin
10-04-2006, 22:26
EDIT: Check previous page for the start of this update.

Left Side:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot12.jpg

Rear:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot09.jpg

Base:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/Base_01.jpg

The base will be painted with this (http://www.gw-fanworld.net/forum/uploads/post-3-1133116194.jpg) sort of coloured stone, and will have patches of snow and the like. Ill be carrying the "ruined temple" theme on through the entire Kill Team and later army.

tzeentchgiant
10-04-2006, 22:52
I won't deny it, that is looking pretty fantastic, proportion wise, I'll reserve judgment for when the details are done, becuase ATM for me at least, it doesn't feel like a space marine.

But then I was raised on the shells or armour we see today.

TG

Yodhrin
12-04-2006, 18:19
I won't deny it, that is looking pretty fantastic, proportion wise, I'll reserve judgment for when the details are done, becuase ATM for me at least, it doesn't feel like a space marine.

But then I was raised on the shells or armour we see today.

TG

How do you mean?

Quick update for now, Ive tidied up the chest armour a little and begun on the rivets. The plastic rod I used on the legs is a little big for the torso and shoulderpad rim studs, so I wont be using it on any of the future models, instead Ive got some black florists wire which is perfect. Ill rip out and replace the rod later, but it will take a while as Ill have to fill the holes I drilled then redrill the putty for the thinner wire.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/Yodhrin40k/13th%20Company/WIP_Shot13.jpg

Pics of the MK3 guy to follow soon, once I figure out how to angle the arms to hold a bloody great 2-handed axe :evilgrin:

tzeentchgiant
12-04-2006, 18:35
Very cool, but in response to your question of how, well to me anyway, it just doesn't feel like a space marine, a cool model yes, but not the way I picture pre-heresy marines.

Just two different visions of the same thing, not a slant on your modelling :).

TG

12-04-2006, 20:54
zomg.

They real good. I dare not think how long it's going to take you to get them all done...

Yodhrin
13-04-2006, 16:24
zomg.

They real good. I dare not think how long it's going to take you to get them all done...

They dont actually take that long, Im just A: Lazy and B: Working on another couple of things at the same time(one of which will hopefully be revealed soon). Not counting drying time for the putty, they should only take about six hours each to convert, and once I get the technique for each armour type down I can bash them out assembly-line style(assuming I do two packs of eight at a time, once I finish one bit of sculpting on the last model, the first will only need another half-hour of cure time before I can start work on the row over again, and I can work on other stuff while I wait).

They dont really require much work to individualise, I just need to alter the way/hand they hold their weapons and what type of weapons, give them different heads/hairstyles etc, nothing that really holds up the process.