PDA

View Full Version : Games Advice Thread

Shuya
30-05-2005, 21:07
I Thought this forum needed a place to advise people on upcoming releases and ask for game recommendations for example if you have a bday coming up.

First of i have two questions. Any new star wars games been released recently (apart from revenge of the sith) that are worth buying, and are there any coming out soon? im really hoping they make a new rouge squadron (or have they allready?)...

also can anyone reccomend any games that are simalar to baldurs gate 2 cuz im missing my baldurs gate.?

Wraith
30-05-2005, 21:27
I'm looking forward to Dungeon Siege 2 which is coming out very late August.

The game seems to be a big improvement on DS1. It is a lot less linear, has a skills system, different races, better graphics, pets, the ability to dual wield, use throwing weapons, and a lot more. There is an open BETA running for DS2 but it's over a gig download and the BETA is only a few hours long.

I am really looking forward to SPORE but it isn't coming out for over a year yet... :(

Verergoca
30-05-2005, 22:36
BF2 is coming out this month.... Probably the first game I will buy since BF:V came out :cool:

alterion
30-05-2005, 22:42
what veregoca said.. that is deffo my big game of the year .. howver rumors are you will need 2gigs of ram to play 64 player with max settings.. ouch and i thought my x800 would do all the hard work..

Odin
31-05-2005, 00:01
BF2 is coming out this month.... Probably the first game I will buy since BF:V came out

BattleFront is superb - I'm looking forward to BF2. But what is BF: V? Is that a Battlefront variant?

Shuya
31-05-2005, 00:05
BF2 is battlefield and BF:V is battlefield viatnam

Jaq Draco
31-05-2005, 06:38
For Star Wars games, id suggest Lego Star Wars

yes i can hear the collective groans now.

But i have played it, and its quite enjoyable, and a bit of retro fun.

as you can tell i collected lego a lot when i was a kid

polymphus
31-05-2005, 06:54
What do you guys think of Metal Gear Solid 3? I just had great fun finished splinter cell 3 and I was thinking of buying MGS3 to quench my stealth games obsession

alterion
31-05-2005, 08:56
i played the lego star wars demo.. was ok actually but i woulnd't want ot buy the full game except tom play as a lego darth maul.. i hvae no idea about mgs 3 as i don;t own a black ps1 ( sorry ps2) a similar to valdurs gate game you can't go wrong with nwn.. massive mod support and community support.. a blast online. ther than that if you have a gc i insist you go and buy skies of arcadia- one of the best rpg's i have playedd in a long time.. and of course you have star wars kotor2 whcih combines roleplaying w the starwars and is meant to be extremly good.

Cheesejoff
31-05-2005, 09:57
Knights of the Old Republic II, because it's both starwars and a roleplaying game!

hairyman
31-05-2005, 10:26
also can anyone reccomend any games that are simalar to baldurs gate 2 cuz im missing my baldurs gate.?

I take it you've also played through Icewind Dale 1/2? Not as good, but pretty much the same game with less detail to the plot.

I never liked Dungeon Siege... too arcadish and missing the depth and tactics in Baldurs Gate. Only a couple of RPG's I'd recommend as equal to BG... KotOR and Morrowind. Morrowind is sheer genius, even with the terrible combat system. It just looks and feels amazing.

Wraith
31-05-2005, 11:39
Dungeon Siege is a hack 'n slash and nothing more. It's a good game but don't expect it to be a 'real' RPG its about combat, looting, and leveling.

I like it for what it is but other people may come to it expecting Baldurs gate and it isn't that sort of game -- it's far more like diablo. In fact DS and BG are different genres all together IMO.

I've played Neverwinternights and HotU expansion and while I thought it was good I hate the D20 leveling system -- it's confusing, and you need to be a near expert to find out all the relevent rules. I felt I spent more time working out a good character in a spreadsheet than playing the game. I don't mean I spent ages because there were than many choices but I spent ages trying to work out how the level system worked and then research all the hidden rules and benefits which aren't listed in the manual. Once you got into epic levels it became even more confusing... Oh and the weapons aren't balanced so they aren't varied -- greatsword (strength), dual wield rapier (dexterity), and scythe (critical) that's all you ever see online...

I've played KOTOR and loved it BUT I found it had little replay value despite changing to dark side second time through. The game is also riddled with unforgivable bugs (I played XBOX version).

When KOTOR2 I was first dissapointed that it wasn't a Bioware game, and secondly really irritated how they'd made lightsaber crystals all the colours of the rainbow -- I'm a traditionalist when it comes to star wars and the further away from the films it gets the more I dislike the game -- orange, grey, teal lightsabers... Suffice to say I didn't buy this game.

Oliver
31-05-2005, 11:45
I agree with the recommendation for Lego Star Wars it is an amazing game even though it is Lego. Also another good game is Juiced, I was one of the testers for it and it is a good game even though it is a racing game.

The boyz
31-05-2005, 15:35
Yeah that Lego Star Wars game does look good.

athamas
31-05-2005, 15:39
NWN is great, though HotU is a must if you are going to playt it!

hairyman
31-05-2005, 15:46
Again, I thought NWN was too simple and too hack and slash. There was no atmosphere, the icons for the weapons looked horrible and arcade-ish, there were little or no tactics to the combat, and it just got dull after a while. The D&D system was wasted on such a simplistic game - although I don't have Wraith's trouble understanding it, all NWN deserved was health and mana stats.

There's nothing wrong with the genre (diablo etc) in comparison to BG... just that back in the day I always preferred Bards Tale to Golden Axe. Same difference here.

Wraith
31-05-2005, 16:00
Don't get me wrong I spent long enough researching the D20 system to understand it but I felt irritated that it wasn't presented clearly. Thankfully the research paid off when I played KOTOR as it uses a similar modified system...

I felt NWN HotU was better than the original game by a miles... They both pale though to BG as they were far too hack n slash and not enough RPG.

Dungeon Siege is also good because it has NO loading screens -- a totally seemless world. DS2 also carries on this tradition but is even better because its far less linear.