PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Clan Skrit vs Orcs & Goblins

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:26
Overview
Scenario: Battleline
Date Played: 6th March 2011

Well, the new O&G book is now out and my friend wanted to see if his previous lists still worked out as well. There was of course a couple of changes to the list, all in the name of including a certain new model :)

Clan Skrit

Lord

[GS] Grey Seer, Skalm, Talisman of Preservation (315pts)
[WLR] Warlord, War-Litter, Halberd, Shield, Warpstone Armour (161pts)*

Hero

[BSB] Chieftain, Battle Standard Bearer, Halberd (72pts)
[PF] Plague Priest, Flail, Plague Furnace (254pts)

Core

[CR] 29 Clanrats, Clawleader, Standard Bearer, Musician, Shields (150.5pts)
[PWM] Poisoned Wind Mortar, (65pts)
[SS1] 40 Skaven Slaves, (80pts)
[SS2] 39 Skaven Slaves, (78pts)
[GR] 46 Giant Rats, 4 Packmasters, (170pts)

Special

[PM] 39 Plague Monks Bringer-of-the-Word, Standard Bearer, Musician, Plague Banner (328pts)

Rare

[WLC] Warp Lightning Cannon (90pts)
[HPA] Hellpit Abomination (235pts)

Total: 1998.5pts

* = Not the best thought out combination, I hadn't realised my little mistake until later. At least it was only 3pts wasted!

Orcs & Goblins

Lord

[BOW] Black Orc Warboss, Heavy Armour, Shield, <4+ Ward Save> (???pts)
[NGG] Night Goblin Great Shaman, Level 4 (???pts)

Hero

[BSB] Night Goblin Bigboss, Battle Standard Bearer (???pts)

Core

[OB] 39 Orc Boys, Bigguns, Boss, Standard Bearer, Musician, Two Choppas, Banner of Flame (???pts)
[OA] 40 Orc Archers, Boss, Standard Bearer, Musician (???pts)
[NG] 49 Night Goblins, Boss, Standard Bearer, Musician, Spears, Netters, 2 Fanatics (???pts)
[SR] 5 Spider Riders, (??pts)

Special

[SC1] Spear Chuckka (35pts)
[SC2] Spear Chuckka (35pts)

Rare

[AS] Arachnarok Spider Flinga (???pts)

Total: 2000pts

I'll try and fill out the pts at some point, please bear with me.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:27
Deployment

Scenery was pretty evenly spread over the board. The large building in the centre was a normal building, and the little ruins in the centre-right were arcane ruins. None of the other pieces really played a big part.

Deployment was pretty straight forward on both sides. Both armies setup facing against each other in the centre of the boards. The Arachnarok Spider was on the left flank, and the Skaven responded by putting the Warplightning Cannon opposite.

What more needs to be said...

Let the slaughter commence

Spells:
Grey Seer: Cracks Call, Death Frenzy, Bless with Filth, Curse of the Horned Rat
Plague Priest: Pestilent Breath
Night Goblin Great Shaman: Vindictive Glare, Gift of the Spider God, Itchy Nuisance, Gork'll Fix It

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:27
Turn 1 - Orcs & Goblins

The Orcs, having finished deploying first also won the roll for the first turn. The left flank quickly got taken over by spiders of varying sizes, with the Night Goblin horde

In the centre the Orcs showed incredible tactical cunning and marched forwards as fast as they could!

Despite the intended sarcastic tone, this tactic did actually prove very useful as it put the Night Goblin Goblin Great Shaman within 6" of the arcane ruins in the centre of the table.

In the magic phase the Shaman managed to put a couple of wounds on the Plague Priest and Plague Furnace with a vindictive glare.

The Orc shooting was ineffective, and then the turn came to a close.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:28
Turn 1 - Clan Skrit

Seeing as the Orcs were exactly 17" away from the Plague Monks, they opted to not charge this turn (and passed their test). The HPA movement pretty much set the pace for the rest of the Skaven advance - and then also blocked the Plague Monks by 1/2"! Doh.

The Slaves on the left reformed to prevent the Spider Riders from getting too close to the artillery.

The magic phase was pretty uneventful as the Orcs managed to shut down all the casting attempts.

In the shooting phase the Warplightning Cannon remained true to the form it has established over past games and rolled a misfire for it's bounce distance against the Arachnarok Spider.

The Poisoned Wind Mortar tried to take out the Spider Riders on the far left, but it scattered wide.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:28
Turn 2 - Orcs & Goblins

The Orcs got the first charge of the game as the Biggun's unit slammed into the Hellpit Abomination.

On the left flank the Spider Riders moved further around while the Night Goblins and Arachnarok Spider continued their advance.

In the magic phase the Night Goblin shaman made the most of a high roll for the winds of magic and both hexed the Hellpit Abomination with Gork'll Fix It and then augmented the Biggun's with the Blessing of the Spider God.

In the shooting phase the Orc Archers shot at the approaching Giant Rats, killing 5 rats and a Packmaster.

The first combat of the game saw the Biggun's rip apart the Hellpit Abomination with ease. Not only did they have a hex and an augment in their favour, but the Orcs were carrying the Banner of Flame! The Skaven monstrosity managed to take 5 Orcs with it, but it wasn't enough.

The Orcs chose to reform rather than pursuing (and clipping) into the Slaves.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:29
Turn 2 - Clan Skrit
The turn of many skulls...

The Skaven, not particularly impressed by the quick demise of their prized Hellpit Abomination, decided to take the initiative and declared a series of charges.

Firstly the Plague Monks charged the Orc Bigguns, eager to enact their revenge. This was then followed up the Skaven Slaves and the Giant Rats charging into the Orc Archers on the right flank. The resulting difficult terrain tests and stand and shoot reaction killed 9 Slaves in total, but all units made it into combat.

The Clanrats then moved up to support - hoping the Orc Bigguns wouldn't be able to dislodge the Plague Monks any time soon.

In the magic phase the Grey Seer managed to cast Death Frenzy on the Giant Rats.

The Poisoned Wind Mortar attempted to hit the Spider Riders again, but again scattered off target. The Warplightning Cannon then followed this up by hitting the Arachnarok Spider dead on - and rolling a misfire for the strength/bounce! :shifty:

In combat the combined attacks from the Plague Priest, Plague Monks, Plague Furnace and Skaven Warlord - and al the re-rolls from the Plague Banner killed a massive 26 Orc Biggins - leaving only 7 plus the Warboss remaining. In return they managed to kill the Plague Priest and inflict 2 wounds on the Skaven Warlord, but it wasn't anywhere near enough. The Orc General and his Bigguns fled and escaped.

On the right, the Orc Archers put up a more stubborn defence and managed to kill enough Slaves to turn the combat in their favour. Both the Slaves and Giant Rats were steadfast though and held.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:29
Turn 3 - Orcs & Goblins

The Orc turn started with the Spider Riders failing their Animosity test and being forced to charge the nearest enemy - which was the Slaves!

The Orc general and his surviving bodyguard rallied, a grand 1" away from the Plague Monks.

On the left flank the Arachnarok moved even closer to the Skaven deployment zone, clearing the end of the building. The Night Goblins moved up to support.

Note: in the previous turn the Plague Monks got close enough to the Night Goblins to trigger the fanatics, but the Orc player opted to send them both crashing into the building rather than risk damaging his own troops.

In the magic phase the Night Goblin Great Shaman managed to hex the Giant Rats with Gork'll Fix It and then also augment the Orc Archers with Gift of the Spider God - they are only little rats!

The ensuing combat saw the predictable demise of the Skaven Slaves, and the Giant Rats narrowly escaping the Orc Archers.

On the left flank the Spider Riders lost they combat against the other Slaves by only 2, but then fled off the board. The Slaves failed their restraint check and quickly followed them.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:30
Turn 3 - Clan Skrit

The Plague Monks had a choice of turning around and supporting the Grey Seer, or continuing to decimate the Orc Generals unit. Not feeling especially reserved, they opted for the more destructive approach.

In the centre, the Clanrats had little option. They were either going to be charged by both the Orc Archers and the Arachnarok Spider, or they had to try and charge their way through the Archers by themselves.

In the magic phase the Grey Seer tried to cast Bless with Filth on the Clanrats, but was dispelled. He then followed this up with Death Frenzy on the same unit and succeeded.

Both the Warplightning Cannon and the Poisoned Wind Mortar again failed to do any damage. The Cannon rolled a misfire yet again for it's strength after hitting the Spider on its flank.

In combat the Clanrats didn't fair very well against the Orc Archers, despite Death Frenzy. The Skaven BSB even fell (I actually forgot he was in the unit when declaring the charge!), but not before he'd killed the Night Goblin Great Shaman. To top it all off, they suffered 6 casualties from the spell - far more than the extra casualties it gave them.

The Plague Monks made short work of the remaining Orcs, however the Warboss managed to escape yet again, rolling a massive 12 for his flee distance.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:30
Turn 4 - Orcs & Goblins

The Orcs turn was pretty simple. The Archers charged the fleeing Giant Rats, pushing them closer to the edge of the board.

Then on the left flank the Arachnarok Spider finally did something and charged the Warplightning Cannon, leaving a gap open for the Night Goblins to charge the Skaven Slaves who had just rejoined the battle.

With no casters left on the board, and the Goblin artillery continuing to miss everything it was straight onto combat.

The Orc units on the left made short work of their respective enemies, and both reformed to face the centre.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:31
Turn 4 - Clan Skrit

For the third turn in a row the Plague Monks charged the Orc Warboss, hoping to finally finish off the nuisance!

The Giant Rats then failed to rally and moved off the board.

The Poisoned Wind Mortar finally hit something, and killed a whopping 2 Night Goblins :)

In the combat phase, despite all the impact hits, toughness tests, frenzied attacks and wrecker ball the Orc Warboss survived with 1 wound remaining. And then he passed his break test.

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:31
Turn 5 - Orcs & Goblins

Looking at the board, we decided to call it a day at this point. We assumed that if we carried on the following would happen:

The Orc Warboss would die
One of the Orc Spearchuckkas would be destroyed by the Plague Monks
The Poisoned Wind Mortar would be killed by any one of three units Orcs/Spiders/Night Goblins

Calculating the VP's, the Orcs came out on top - by approximately 200pts.

Game over - victory to the Orcs & Goblins!

tarrym
06-03-2011, 20:32
Post Battle Thoughts

Clan Skrit
So that ended up pretty close. After the rapid fall of the HPA in turn 2 I wasn't feeling that hopeful, but I knew my Plague Monks could unleash a lot of pain on the un-armoured Orc Bigguns. It's just annoying that it took so long to wipe them out - partly helped by the fact that I forgot my Plague Banner until after I'd rolled the Plague Priests attacks, and in 2 of my turns I also forgot the wrecker attack!

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Warplightning Cannon. I realise that it should do ok and my rolls are below average, but that is now 4 games in a row where I've used it and it's managed a little more than killing half a dozen Orcs in total.

Other thoughts:

Plague Monks + Furnace + Banner is worth every point
Curse of the Horned Rat is pretty tough to cast, and can easily waste dice. Skitterleap may well be a better option overall (TBC)
Arachnarok Spiders are scary, but can be handled
HPA needs to avoid getting stuck out front by itself. It's too easy for an enemy unit to have flaming attacks

Orcs & Goblins
Yet to come.

Bazzal
07-03-2011, 00:47
another awsum report so far cant wait for rest :-) but it doesn't look good for the skaven so far lol

i am curious wht else you gave ur warlord as he seems to be 32 pts more than he should

tarrym
07-03-2011, 07:11
another awsum report so far cant wait for rest :-) but it doesn't look good for the skaven so far lol

i am curious wht else you gave ur warlord as he seems to be 32 pts more than he should

Well spotted. I've updated the list to include his magic armour.

Had to stop last night as I was falling asleep. Will complete the report tonight once I get an hour or so free :)

Malorian
07-03-2011, 17:45
Report is not done yet but with the orcs owning the HPA it is going to be hard for the skaven to turn it arond.

Makes a good case for regular orcs over savages (magic banner).

Now finish that report! ;)

Bazzal
07-03-2011, 18:26
just checking but is the warlord in with the plaguemonks? if so i believe this to be illegal as for sum reason non clan pestilent characters cant join clan pestilent units

Q. Can I join characters to the units with the Screaming Bell/Plague
Furnace? (p43 & p48)
A. At deployment, characters can be deployed in the pushing
unit and will become Unbreakable, but cannot leave the unit as
long as the Bell/Furnace is still there. Once the game is started,
no characters can join the unit. In addition, with the Plague
Furnace only characters that belong to Clan Pestilens may join
the unit.

looking good cant wait for the rest of report

tarrym
07-03-2011, 19:10
just checking but is the warlord in with the plaguemonks? if so i believe this to be illegal as for sum reason non clan pestilent characters cant join clan pestilent units

Q. Can I join characters to the units with the Screaming Bell/Plague
Furnace? (p43 & p48)
A. At deployment, characters can be deployed in the pushing
unit and will become Unbreakable, but cannot leave the unit as
long as the Bell/Furnace is still there. Once the game is started,
no characters can join the unit. In addition, with the Plague
Furnace only characters that belong to Clan Pestilens may join
the unit.

Good spot. I knew that characters could join during deployment and not at other times. I hadn't realised that non-pestilens couldn't join them. Doh.

Sorry to my opponent for that!

Malorian
07-03-2011, 20:26
HPA should always be paired with a line of slaves, but high stength flaming attack will always hurt.

Keep out with the WLC. You have been having bad luck but once you get it figured out it will do great. You just have to practice in landing that blast in the middile of a unit.

Bazzal
07-03-2011, 20:59
if you feel its letting you down and assuming ur opponents allow it you could loose 3 Giant rats and use a plague claw catapult large template no armour save n panic tests you may find it more effective :-)

once again love the reports cant wait for your next one. over all tho how did you find playing the new Orcs and Goblins compaired to the older book?

tarrym
07-03-2011, 21:35
Keep out with the WLC. You have been having bad luck but once you get it figured out it will do great. You just have to practice in landing that blast in the middile of a unit.

Hitting isn't the issue. In pretty much every game so far it's either misfired on the first roll, or the second. And on those turns where it hasn't it usually rolls a 2 for the strength/bounce :)

if you feel its letting you down and assuming ur opponents allow it you could loose 3 Giant rats and use a plague claw catapult large template no armour save n panic tests you may find it more effective :-)

I have had a few games using this as well. It's ok, but it never really inflicts enough damage to be of much use, considering most armies are in combat by turn 2, or 3 at most. The panic tests are useful, but have rarely resulted in a unit fleeing - my opponents would rarely put something that far from the general.

once again love the reports cant wait for your next one. over all tho how did you find playing the new Orcs and Goblins compaired to the older book?

Overall I'd say the Orcs have lost their massive bonus in the form of the Waagh spell / ability - which had to happen, even my O&G opponent agrees it was silly to point of game spoiling. But they have gained 2 very nice (but not OTT) magic lores, and a decent new waaagh rule instead (which never came into it this game).

To be honest it didn't really feel like a massive difference - possibly because the list I faced was almost identical to those my opponent fielded before, with the exception of the massive spider that didn't actually do much all game - apart from look great!

That's not to say it was disappointing as we both really enjoyed the game. And I'm looking forward to my Warplightning Cannon claiming the Arachnarok Spider as it's first "real" victim :evilgrin:

Thanks for reading everyone.

vinny t
14-03-2011, 21:47
Love the battle report, too bad about the WLC missing everything. Hopefully your luck will change

SevenSins
15-03-2011, 10:11
skaven machines failing?! must be sabotaged by your enemies! Fire it a couple of times into combats involving your slave units, that ought to work out the glitches ;)

another nice one, and also glad to see the waagh spell go (to bad the spider didn't get into combat though).

Lemsip
15-03-2011, 20:23
awesome battle report :)

Meat Helmet
22-03-2011, 18:01
Excellent report. My friend just started an O&G army. Need to start studying.

Sqallum
18-04-2011, 11:04
Great reports,
Sqallum :skull: