PDA

View Full Version : Items of Characters who refuse a challenge

QuestionMark
08-03-2011, 03:31
If a character has stubborn from Crown of Command and confers that attribute to his unit while present, is there any reason in the rules that it would stop if he refused a challenge?

Practically, a leader who refuses a challenge might not inspire stubbornness but what do the rules say?

T10
08-03-2011, 08:38
If you shake off the lingering effects of 7th and earlier editions, what does the 8th edition rule book's section on refusing challenges say about magical items?

-T10

Lord Solar Plexus
08-03-2011, 08:45
When someone asks what the rules say about x, then replying with asking what the rules say about x is oftentimes not very helpful.

As far as I can see, magic items affecting the unit such as the Crown of Command continue to work from the back ranks.

T10
08-03-2011, 09:05
However in this instance it is rather instructive and highlights the fact that the rules don't address the issue and that the questioner is basing his question on game mechanics that applied in the previous version.

It's a bit like asking how wounds from Multiple Wounds attacks are restored by the successful Regeneration rolls at the end of the close combat, when that concept of Regeneration is the outdated mechanic of 6th edition.

-T10

Lex
08-03-2011, 14:31
First, characters don't refuse challenges. The player refuses, the issuer then chooses a character (not champion) to send to the back. Second, the only penalty for being sent to the rear is being unable to use that models leadership for the remainder of the turn. So yes, still stubborn, but not on that character's leadership.

T10
08-03-2011, 14:47
A challenge is refused if no characters (or champions) accept. Thus all enemy characters can be considered to have refused your challenge if it is not accepted. However, only one character will be retired.

-T10

H33D
08-03-2011, 16:34
First, characters don't refuse challenges. The player refuses, the issuer then chooses a character (not champion) to send to the back. Second, the only penalty for being sent to the rear is being unable to use that models leadership for the remainder of the turn. So yes, still stubborn, but not on that character's leadership.

-and if your character that is moved is a BSB then you don't get the +1 combat rez for your BSB being in the front rank/combat but you still get all of his other bonuses.

Mid'ean
08-03-2011, 17:08
And when you retire him you can put him anywhere in the unit as long as he is not in B2B contact with the enemy.

TMATK
08-03-2011, 17:35
-and if your character that is moved is a BSB then you don't get the +1 combat rez for your BSB being in the front rank/combat but you still get all of his other bonuses.

That probably should be the rule, but I'm not seeing it. All I see in the book is that they have to be in the unit.

H33D
09-03-2011, 09:18
Hmm, I thought that was the one thing they actually needed to be in the fight to use. Let me check...

Weird I can't find it. I apologize I could've swore I read that is what the rule was. :P

tmarichards
09-03-2011, 09:21
I think that's a hangover from 7th you've got the H33D.