PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts. Wood Elf Army - Looking for Advice

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
08-03-2011, 04:31
I just dusted off and assembled my wood elves from storage and I was trying to put together a decent 2000 pts. list to possibly play pickup games with next month, alternating them with my High Elves. This is what I came up with:

Wood Elves Army 2000 pts.

Lords:
Treeman Ancient: 425 pts.
Spites: An Annoyance of Netlings, A Cluster of Radiants, A Murder of Spites, & A Muster of Malevolents.

Heroes:
Wardancer Noble: 155 pts.
Upgrades: Wardancer Kindred
Equipment: Wardancer weapons
Magic Items: Stone of Rebirth & Potion of Strength

2nd Lvl. Spellsinger: 260 pts.
Upgrades: Glamourweave Kindred
Equipment: Hand weapon & longbow.
Magic Items: Dispel Scroll, Sword of Might, & Dragonbane Gem
Mount: Unicorn

Heroes total: 415 pts.

Core:
Glade Guard Regiment: 289 pts. pts.
20 Glade Guard with full command armed with hand weapons & glade guard longbows.
Standard Bearer equipped with Aech the Banner of Springtide

Glade Guard Scouts: 170 pts.
10 Glade Guard Scouts armed with hand weapons & longbows.

Dryads: 120 pts.
10 Dryads

Core Total: 579 pts.

Special:
Wardancer Troupe: 126 pts.
7 Wardancers armed with hand weapons, wardancer weapons, & talismanic tattoos.

Rare:
Treeman: 285 pts.

Waywatchers: 120 pts.
5 Waywatchers armed with 2 hand weapons & longbows.

Great Eagle: 50 pts.

Rare Total: 455 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

I'm really not sure how to go about playing this army (It a heck of a lot smaller than my High Elf armies at 2000 pts.) so any advice & CC&C would be welcomed.

BTW for replacement units suggestions I don't have much on hand (as the figures from my collection were from 5th Edition or older). I've already used almost all of my core units and all I have left are the following:

Characters:
Orion
Wood Elf Lord on Elven Steed
Wood Elf Hero on Foot with long bow & hand weapon
Wood Elf Hero with great sword & longbow
2x Wood Elf Wizards

Core:
10x Glade Riders

Specials:
10x Warhawk Riders

Rares:
5x Waywatchers

Thanks everyone in advance! :D

thesheriff
08-03-2011, 19:58
GG scouts are one of the worst units I'm the game. For 5 extra points, they become skirmishers, closer to the enemy, and they lose the S4 bows. Just make em normal, ranked up.

The ancient can lose all but annoyance and cluster.

The Mage is pointless with combat gear. Give him a scroll, put him on foot. Or, make tge ancient regular, and take a lv4.

Give the noble blades of loec.

And it seems a shame not to use those warhawks...

Thesheriff

WoodElfGeneral
08-03-2011, 22:04
With your model limit, i don't really know what to suggest.

I never liked warhawks, but they would probably be better than wardancers in this addition. Wardancers just can't hold up against those big units, especially with step up now.

Orion is not very good either.

Sorry this is not very helpful.

eomir4122
09-03-2011, 12:02
Hey, this is my first post here on warseer, but i started a woodelf army a few months back and have been playing quite a bit with them at various points levels.

I'm not convinced on the benefits of scouting gladeguard. 17 points for no armour seems excessive. If you want some scouting units to put pressure on warmachines, i would try and squeeze your extra waywatchers in there. When ive used them to charge warmachines, my opponents are generally quite taken aback by their 2 handweapons.
You can leave your scouts as normal gladeguard, still fill your core requirements and that free's up 50 points for somethings like an extra eagle.
I assume your plan is to tie stuff up with the treemen and rear charge(hopefully) with wardancers and dryads.
IMO wardancers, even with characters die way to fast against just abt anything. The only success ive managed with them is as assasination units for enemy mages.
However dropping them would mean rethinking your lord...
Maybe make waywatchers 10 strong, drop the wardancer unit and lord and go for a machinegun lord to accompany the ww...

DraconisTheElder
09-03-2011, 12:47
I like most of your list but I would, like others have said, drop the scouts, and make 2 or 3 units of glade gaurd (about 10 strong). This size of GG makes for a highly mobile unit of shooters (you could even give one the banner of swiftness which will allow them to move 6 inches and shoot). Even though they may not be that good I still love wardancers, If you can focus them against weaker units and charge the rear or flank they can probably break even as far as their point cost is concerned.
Also love waywatchers.
Love treemen also but they die turn 1 to things like dwarf cannons or other heavy flaming things. Make sure that you have enough magic to stop those firey spells from getting through (maybe even a disp scroll for that big spell). And you need to make sure that there will be cover for your treemen. Although the waywatchers can certainly tie up their warmachines pretty early on (and hopefully end them).

Jim30
09-03-2011, 13:05
Dryads are awesome - take lots of them in units of 10-15.

Take treekin over treemen, even if it means spending some money. A unit of 6 treekin is under 400pts, so not much more than a treeman, but with 18 attacks and wounds plus stomp. Its unlikely to get nuked in the first turn, and if you have a life wizard close by, then you can regen its wounds on every cast, plus if you have it, cast regeneration on it as well.

Try taking the moonstone of hidden ways in a noble, whack him in a 8-10wardancer unit with a beast lvl3. Then give the noble killing blow spear and helm of the hunt. Port them across the board, charge and try to get off fury of Kuornos. This gives you a WS8, S7, A8 with killing blow monstrosity, backed up by wardancers with the dance of +1 attack, which gives you a very powerful killing unit.

thesheriff
09-03-2011, 14:23
TBH, critical anaylisis aside, an army of warhawks with heroes on eagles, backed up by soem GGa nd waywatchers woudl be quite cool.

With the models you have, and without serious investment, it woudl be hard not to just go for what looks cool, over what is actually effective.

10-03-2011, 02:38
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm only planning to add at most an Eternal Guard unit, maybe 3 treekins, and another unit of Glade Guard if I plan to get this army up to 3000 pts. (which is the limit of any of my "side" armies as my mainstays are high elves & bretonnians). I will be posting a revised list soon.

10-03-2011, 04:51
Here is my revised list:

Wood Elves Army 2000 pts.
Lords:
Treeman Ancient: 425 pts.
Spites: An Annoyance of Netlings, A Cluster of Radiants, A Murder of Spites, & A Muster of Malevolents.

Heroes:
Wardancer Noble: 155 pts.
Upgrades & Equipment: hand weapon & wardancer weapons
Magic Items: Stone of Rebirth & Potion of Strength

2nd lvl. Spellsinger: 170 pts.
Equipment: hand weapon, & longbow.
Magic Items: Dispel Scroll & Elynett’s Brooch

Heroes Total: 325 pts.

Core:
Glade Guard Regiment: 289 pts.
20 Glade Guard with full command armed with hand weapons & glade guard longbows.
Standard Bearer equipped with Aech – the Banner of Springtide

Glade Guard Regiment: 120 pts.
10 Glade Guard armed with hand weapons & glade guard longbows.

Dryads: 120 pts.
10 Dryads

Core Total: 529 pts.

Special:
Wardancer Troupe: 126 pts.
7 Wardancers armed with hand weapons, wardancer weapons, & talismanic tattoos.

Warhawk Riders: 140 pts.
2 Warhawk Riders & Wind Rider armed with hand weapons, longbows, spears, & warhawk mounts.

Special Total: 266 pts.

Rare:
Treeman: 285 pts.

Waywatchers: 120 pts.
5 Waywatchers armed with 2 hand weapons & longbows.

Great Eagle: 50 pts.

Rare Total: 455 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

popisdead
11-03-2011, 22:56
I don't think you need 4 spites on an Ancient. The first two are enough.

You should really be considering a lvl 4 with the Wand of Wych Elm.

If you take a lvl 2 on a Unicorn, use the Moonstone and deploy the mage with 6 Treekin. Take Lore of Athel Loren to try to get Call of the Hunt.

The Banner of Springtide is kinda meh. Rarely is an enemy closer than 4-5 inches to you about to charge. Take the flaming banner.

When taking Scouts you probably only need 5-6. They don't get Bolters at short range ;-)

Dryads are pretty good. I take either a unit of 20, or two to three units of 8-12.

7 Wardancers will just kinda die. They are fun but not 'that' useful. Small units to help protect vs those ambushing skaven units are helpful though.

I really think you need 6 Treekin in this army =)

12-03-2011, 01:23
I don't think you need 4 spites on an Ancient. The first two are enough.

You should really be considering a lvl 4 with the Wand of Wych Elm.

If you take a lvl 2 on a Unicorn, use the Moonstone and deploy the mage with 6 Treekin. Take Lore of Athel Loren to try to get Call of the Hunt.

The Banner of Springtide is kinda meh. Rarely is an enemy closer than 4-5 inches to you about to charge. Take the flaming banner.

When taking Scouts you probably only need 5-6. They don't get Bolters at short range ;-)

Dryads are pretty good. I take either a unit of 20, or two to three units of 8-12.

7 Wardancers will just kinda die. They are fun but not 'that' useful. Small units to help protect vs those ambushing skaven units are helpful though.

I really think you need 6 Treekin in this army =)

I guess you didn't read my updated list or my replacements option limitations but thanks for the advice.

I get that Treekins are bee knees to address any close combat deficiencies the Wood Elves have but at about $23 USD a piece that asking a lot for a "side" army.

bluemage
12-03-2011, 02:23
Might I recommend playing 7th with that collection.

In 8th the more optimal setup is a bsb, lvl 4 life, glade guard, treekin, treeman, great eagles. I would recommend taking the banner of eternal flame on your glade guard. I don't know if you have a way to convert up a bsb, but that would be helpful.

As for the treekin, I've converted some out of dryad bits. I think they look much better than the treekin models. I made I think, three out of a box of dryads in addition to the 12 dryads. So if you were willing to buy a bsb, box of glade guard and 2 boxes of dryads I think you'd be able to run the competative wood elf list. For the treekin I just glued the extra branches together into a sort of humanoid/animal shape.

thesheriff
12-03-2011, 07:55
Mate I had the same problem with my selves in 8th. Splashed out on 3 boxes of glade guard, and 10 treekin. It hurt, but it was worth it.

It's funny, it's like GW are making the expensive armies the best ones.....

Turtleking
12-03-2011, 16:25
I also prefer Warhawks to wardancers in this edition.