PDA

View Full Version : Next codex: Eldar?

r(2)Truth
25-03-2006, 19:54
Quoted by Duhgame in the GW forums:

"Ok where do I get off making this long awaited claim? It came to me in a dream, ok actually it was more of a white dwarf that came up and told me so. ;) In WD 315 on the "Turn 1" section with Games Day 2006 it says I quote "Plus, L.A. Games Day will be your first chance to see the forthcoming Codex: Eldar and awesome new models that go with it!" This is on page 2 of the magazine if you want to get really specific! This is not to funny but I don't play Eldar at all but I thought people would want to know!

"I need a quote" "

Comments?

o_menore
25-03-2006, 19:56
But, and the DA? I'm so sad:(

Xeres
25-03-2006, 20:08
Dont worry brothers, once the foul xenos get there book of heresy, the blessed forces of the unforgiven shall get the new miniatures and new rules.

EDIT: Also brothers, once this new book gets published by the heretics we shall hopefully find less of the blasphemous starcannons being used by the xenos scum.

Orbital
25-03-2006, 20:19
Dont worry brothers, once the foul xenos get there book of heresy, the blessed forces of the unforgiven shall get the new miniatures and new rules.

EDIT: Also brothers, once this new book gets published by the heretics we shall hopefully find less of the blasphemous starcannons being used by the xenos scum.

Psst: You got some cheeto dust on your communicator pin there.

Malakai
25-03-2006, 21:08
When is LA GD?

-Malakai

EDIT: Nevermind April 8 2006

Smoking Frog
25-03-2006, 21:31
Now at least it seems all but confirmed. Just a matter of when....

Xeres
25-03-2006, 21:45
Quickly i hope, may brothers have fallen due to the xenos scum.

*p.s. my comments are just from a imperial point of view, dont be offended.

lord_blackfang
25-03-2006, 21:57
If anyone will talk to the Games Devs there, ask them if Eldar will get rending ponies, or are they saving them for Squats. Also make sure to mention Fishmen :evilgrin:

Evilgnome
25-03-2006, 22:03
But, and the DA? I'm so sad:(

Can't all the DA players just use the Black Templars Codex? I mean, aren't all power armoured guys in robes the same? :angel:

Probably not the place to discuss it, but haven't the DA stolen their bike rules from more worthy bikers(born into the saddle) the White Scars?...... oh, but this isn't the place to discuss that, so I wont....... ;)

Xeres
25-03-2006, 22:06
No.......no no........no..........no no

Thats my response to The holy forces of the unforgiven using a lesser chapters codex.

Evilgnome
25-03-2006, 22:13
No.......no no........no..........no no

Thats my response to The holy forces of the unforgiven using a lesser chapters codex.

Hey that *is* Cheeto dust!

What do you reckon the poor White Scars should do Xeres? Feel free to take this over to the 40K discussion forum BTW.

Just to stay on topic, Bloomin' brilliant about the Eldar Codex, I'll be emptying my wallet many times over...as long as the minis are good!

Orbital
25-03-2006, 22:21
*p.s. my comments are just from a imperial point of view, dont be offended.

No offense at all. Don't worry (but thanks for asking). I just have to make fun. That's my nature. :)

athamas
25-03-2006, 22:34
DA will be 2006 chrismass release.. GW always release marines at chrismass, gets the nice power armourd guys there for kids at preasent time!

Eldar will be nice to see, hopefully they will address some of the balance issues in the list, [some things are too powerfull, others underused because they just have no use!!]

Orbital
25-03-2006, 22:36
DA will be 2006 chrismass release.. GW always release marines at chrismass, gets the nice power armourd guys there for kids at preasent time!

Yeah, I dunno if I'd be too sure about that. Hopeful? Maybe. Sure? Hmm...

athamas
25-03-2006, 23:08
it will be marines for sure..

the flavour might change, but all hints point to DA being the next codex chapter out..

Xeres
25-03-2006, 23:17
Dont worry elder scum, im happy you get your codex soon.........Then once your cheese is taken away the holy forces of the unforgiven shall crush you puny craftworlds.

"FOR THE LION!"

EDIT: OOC: Er sorry about that, i swear ive been possesed by a chaplain.

Edit 2: OOC: Its going to be intresting to see what they do to elder, if they make them hard to use but powerful if used right, i may even collect them (ive got a hidden stash of the nice old scorpions from my brother which are begging to be painted).

chrishin
25-03-2006, 23:35
there goes $500 of mine.......
need to buy whole army

Orbital
25-03-2006, 23:37
it will be marines for sure..

the flavour might change, but all hints point to DA being the next codex chapter out..

I think it's very likely that DA will be the next Marine chapter codex. I was just questioning where you get the Christmas '06 date from. Anything I've heard that hints of being *possibly* authentic seems to point at DA for early '07.

Dont worry elder scum, im happy you get your codex soon.........Then once your cheese is taken away the holy forces of the unforgiven shall crush you puny craftworlds.

Xeres, I know you're just kidding around... but put it in park once in a while, will you? :) :) :)

Captain Rico
25-03-2006, 23:41
So far from what I've heard (just joined Warseer but I talk alot of 40Konline (or 40Koffline as it should be called) Eldar are comming out fall, Dark Angels Christmas. Smurf being the highest selling army and christmas being the highest... well the highest everything. Highest buying, highest drinking, highest giving, highest getting, highest prices... etc So the highest played army would go perfectly with the theme of christmas.

Eldar codex will suposedly be much more refrined so that each unit will have its own purpose. So pretty much, we will be the exact oposite of smurfs whose tactical marines can do anything.

Malakai
26-03-2006, 00:17
Am I the only one dissapointed that it's two weeks before the official release shots of new Eldar minis at Games Day LA, and we have no sneak pics from our WarSeer sources?

-Malakai

skyfyre
26-03-2006, 00:20

"FOR THE LION!"

EDIT: OOC: Er sorry about that, i swear ive been possesed by a chaplain.

Edit 2: OOC: Its going to be intresting to see what they do to elder, if they make them hard to use but powerful if used right, i may even collect them (ive got a hidden stash of the nice old scorpions from my brother which are begging to be painted).

I agree. Old eldar cheese is getting moldy. Thankfully eldar will be getting brand new cheese to replace the old stuff! I'm getting tired of the same old 3 wraithlord 3 falcon lists and starcannon maddness. I want my rending 30+ shuriken cannon army!

p.s. just kidding :)

Seriously as long as the codex is balanced, the points costs are appropriate on whatever they decide to change, and there are no glaring weaknesses I'll be happy. I feel guilty about taking a single wraithlord or falcon, much less one of each in casual games. As long as I can field them and be confident they are good but not overpowered I have no problems with that.

Xeres
26-03-2006, 00:25
to orbital: ok ok, ill stop with the imperial"ism"

On topic: I think gw security has increased over the last 6 months so im not to bothered with the lack of pics but we shall see soon enough.

philbrad2
26-03-2006, 00:34
Well if the rumour of Eldar for October/November is true, LA GD would be the first event within the 6 monthly window for any news to be forthcoming from. I'm expecting the first info to come from event in April . My thinking is now more towards the DA being released in the same slot as the Tau are this year and WHFB 7th ed and the tail end of Eldar releases will be what are pushed for Xmas '06.

Am I the only one dissapointed that it's two weeks before the official release shots of new Eldar minis at Games Day LA, and we have no sneak pics from our WarSeer sources?

-Malakai

No photos of the Terminator armoured Chaos Lord is in circulation either and he's a far nearer release than the Eldar. Rangers pics were out at Xmas, we've just got the plastic Weapons Platforms even GW have released these hot on the heels of them being shown in Atlanta. Is it surprising we've not gotten pics of anything past CoD/Medusa V knowing how cagey GW are nowadays with releasing or leaked info????

On topic: I think gw security has increased over the last 6 months so im not to bothered with the lack of pics but we shall see soon enough.

Pics may be few and far between from 'official' lines but news has been leaked through various sources about the releases for a while. IIRC speculation on the Tau started last September with the first notification of CoD after that. I think actually GW are releasing more info within their self imposed '6 monthly release' window than ever before which is an improvement. When I posted a report from DAKKA on new stuff that was seen at an impromptu studio tour during last Novembers Sabbat worlds campaign weekend I had none other than Graham McNeill quizzing me on where the info came from. GW will release info. They just like to be in control of it. People may get to see, and report on new stuff before GW official confirm releases, but its increasingly rare that non-offical GW pics of new models appear on likes of Warseer before they want them to. GW have even caught on to the internet forums. How many times have new models been snapped at a GD event only to have the official GW 'sneek peek' pics appear a day later? GW have gotten very savvy on releasing info to gamers - and in some instances gamers have gotten more resourceful to get further info :angel:

:chrome:

Orbital
26-03-2006, 00:51

Patience is a virtue.

to orbital: ok ok, ill stop with the imperial"ism"

Ah, don't worry about it. Just have fun.

Well if the rumour of Eldar for October/November is true, LA GD would be the first event within the 6 monthly window for any news to be forthcoming from. I'm expecting the first info to come from event in April .

That would also mean that the Eldar are going to be released around UK GamesDay time.

Storch
26-03-2006, 01:29
Personally, I think it is a very godo thing that GW has started to plug some of the leaks as that means they can make a really big deal out of things once they start releasing information regarding the Eldar 'dex. If a well-orchestrated advertising campaign leads to more players and more diversity within the player base, then it's a good thing for everyone involved. I can wait a few extra weeks to see blurry snapshots of figures I can't buy for months anyway :)

Sedekiel
26-03-2006, 01:44
The thing is that GW usually produces the Codices in doubles meaning that they usually have an Imperial Codex paired with a non imperial enemy Codex.
Ultras = Nids, BT = Tau, Eldar = DA?. Maybe the DA are not the following chapter unless they find a way of linking them with the Eldar...Could an Ordo xenos be the next Codex or maybe the Orks ?

Cheers fdr

Xeres
26-03-2006, 01:51
oh come on sed, DA are next then next year its BA and orks......after that i hope chaos gets done.

Orbital
26-03-2006, 01:51
The thing is that GW usually produces the Codices in doubles meaning that they usually have an Imperial Codex paired with a non imperial enemy Codex.

GW has denied this interpretation of their release history and have said that the whole "one Imperial codex, one non-Imperial codex" thing is in no way a policy for scheduling products.

In other words; beyond what GW announces, no-one knows for sure what's coming down the pipe.

Scud
26-03-2006, 01:58
Fear not brethren, the short sighted Mon-keigh will know the truth of the Black Library and once again the stars will bow to our might.

That's about as corny as I'll allow myself to get.

Xeres
26-03-2006, 02:54
its a start scud :P

Brothergrimm
26-03-2006, 04:10
Ultras = Nids, BT = Tau, Eldar = DA?. Maybe the DA are not the following chapter unless they find a way of linking them with the Eldar...Could an Ordo xenos be the next Codex or maybe the Orks ?

Cheers fdr

In the new saber tooth card game the Dark Angel's are paried with the Eldar and there farseer

Sanath
26-03-2006, 04:39
really hope for a Ordo xenos 'dex sometime soon.....I know it ain't gonna happen..but we can always hope..definetely Eldar will be the next available codex,but the thing that bugs is that will there be craftworld rules in the dex??And more importantly will there be a harlequin list of some sort (maybe some kind of allies or sperate kill teams,whatever I want Harlequins:cries: )

Storch
26-03-2006, 06:49
It's been floatign around that the Harlies will not get a codex entry but will get a Chapter Approved at some point after the Eldar 'dex is released.

sulla
26-03-2006, 07:02
It's been floatign around that the Harlies will not get a codex entry but will get a Chapter Approved at some point after the Eldar 'dex is released.

I'd love to see a couple more chapter approved lists. Harlequins, exodites and eldar pirates would fit in perfectly in either chapter approved lists or as lists in a
campaign as they are not commonly seen on battlefields. Chapter approved would also be a great place to get out a draft Ordo Xenos list or even a limited mechanicus force (perhaps an outpost defense force - basic troops, techpriests and servitors, no wierd vehicles etc).

Orbital
26-03-2006, 07:06
Actually, the buzz is that at Atlanta Games Day it was said Harlequins would be included in the Eldar codex as allies that can be taken as Elite choices.

Smoking Frog
26-03-2006, 09:55
Either way, I'm gonna getta me some Harlies!!! :)

Sakura
26-03-2006, 10:47
I dont see it being too hard to have the craftworld options in the one codex.

all the Codices have been around the same size these days since the first 4th ed codex. "Marines"
I dont think it will be hard to even include Harliquins either.
Tangible indeed.
One small section per craftworld rules like the Chaos codex, may haves, may not haves, limits and bonuses.
And then a larger section for the Harliquins options, however, they are a more Dark eldar army with Independant charaters.
However, I would rather the codex be Standard and Craftworld eldar, Harliquins would mess the flow up too much.
I know dark eldar wont fit in the Codex, thats for sure, theyre also a totally different army.
Just like guard would be compared to marines.

I hope for lots of story int he start of the book, just like all the others 4th eds, so far theyve been really good and clean and easy to understand.

Storch
26-03-2006, 14:38
As much as I would love an excuse to actually paint up the pile of HArlies I have, I think I would prefer a CA article. That way they will not be competing for space. As it stands now, we wil hvae the requisite fluff, unit stats, hobby/painting showcase, possibly craftworld lists, possibly build-your-own craftworld traits system, etc. etc. It just feels like the Harlies would feel "tacked on" at that point. They are much mroe than just an Elites choice and I would fell kinda bad if their entire fluf was reduced to the little sidebar next to the stats and possibly a page long story in the 'dex.

Cpt. Andreus
26-03-2006, 15:41
I do know that the Eldar Codex is coming out sometime around November, and I do know there are some very cool suprises I've been told not to tell anyone about. I can say this, some of the "wild" rumours floating around are true. God, I just wish I could say which ones.

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 16:42
I dont think the Harlies belong in the Eldar codex. They need a codex of their own or chapter approved. They're alot more then just a couple of Elite choices. That would be like adding aspect warriors to the Dark Eldar list or putting the DA in the Eldar codex. I am hoping that all the craftworld rules will be in the new codex along with a craftworld trait system.

Strahd
26-03-2006, 17:21
I do know that the Eldar Codex is coming out sometime around November, and I do know there are some very cool suprises I've been told not to tell anyone about. I can say this, some of the "wild" rumours floating around are true. God, I just wish I could say which ones.

Rending ponies?

Orbital
26-03-2006, 17:25
I dont think the Harlies belong in the Eldar codex. They need a codex of their own or chapter approved. They're alot more then just a couple of Elite choices.

I agree with this. The thing I'm scared of is that Harlequins, which are an army unto themselves, will be reduced to nothing but another Elite choice, and all the interesting things which make them distinct will be absorbed into the Eldar army and vanish.

I dont see it being too hard to have the craftworld options in the one codex.

I agree with this as well. I've been thinking about it lately and the Craftworld Eldar codex really isn't that big; if you take out the photos you're left with only a few page. I think they could easily be rolled into the whole book.

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 17:33
The craftworld codex really only has 5 pages you actually use. Thos pages could easily fit in the new codex along with maybe the fluff for each one, that making 10 pages. The fluff for each one mite be pushing it but the rules for each one could fit in the codex with ease.

And if they add Harlies to the codex, they may as well try selling all the Imperial armies in one book.

The Judge
26-03-2006, 17:36
Good news... not that I thought otherwise anyway.

Orbital
26-03-2006, 17:36
The craftworld codex really only has 5 pages you actually use...

Well, it's a *bit* more than that, but your point is taken.

Sedekiel
26-03-2006, 18:13
2 small questions:
Is there any reason why the Harlies couldnt be included like a sepparate craftworld? Isnt the Black Library considered a craftworld? I do understand that the list is completely different from the Eldar list but it is also significantly smaller.
BTW if the Harlies were to be included, since they are comprised of both Eldar and Dark Eldar wouldn't it seem right to have both of them in the same Codex?

Cheers fdr

Orbital
26-03-2006, 18:19
2 small questions:
Is there any reason why the Harlies couldnt be included like a sepparate craftworld? Isnt the Black Library considered a craftworld? I do understand that the list is completely different from the Eldar list but it is also significantly smaller.
BTW if the Harlies were to be included, since they are comprised of both Eldar and Dark Eldar wouldn't it seem right to have both of them in the same Codex?

You might want to catch up a bit on some of your Harlequin trivia.

Harlequins aren't a Craftworld in rules or fluff. A Craftworld takes existing Eldar units, maybe adds one or two new ones, uses the same weapons and vehicles, and re-arranges the Force Org chart. Harleys have no units in common with the Dark Eldar or Eldar (they're not comprised of either). They have their own weapons, their own vehicles and even some of their own rules (like 4" coherency).

Fluff-wise, the Dark Eldar, Eldar and Harlequins are all from completely different places and do completely different things.

There is the very rare overlap (like Shuriken weaponry or Holo-fields), but you're really looking at distinct armies all around.

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 18:21
Well A) if the Harlies and a compremise between Eldar and Dark Eldar, why not put them with the Dark Eldar.

B) Have you not noticed the long row of Smurf codexs lining your local Rogue Trader or GW because those are all similiar to the smurf codex itself

C) Harlies use different models, so that too puts them out of the Eldar Codex

D) the Eldar codex is pretty full as it is, we have a massive selection of units, hobby center, special characters, crawftworld traits, the Big Bad Five, fluff, wargear and psycic powers, that there is quite a bit. To add Harlies would be a little much, how many pages do you think that would be, an extra 5-10?

Sorry bud but it just isnt realistic or fluffy to put them in the Eldar Codex.

Jonik
26-03-2006, 18:22
2 small questions:

Think of them as Eldar ordos in terms of gameplay. They should be seperate, and able to be added to armies that fight chaos (and are non chaos/necron), or eldar.

Orcdom
26-03-2006, 19:27
the only thing besides a little wargear they have in common with the CWE is some of the looted vehicles like an occasional wraithlord and thier jetbikes, otherwise all of thier troopers stats are even pretty much different as well.

but what i hope to see is the Pheonix Lords not being opponets concent (pretty sure they are except for the USF list). i know they arent all that points friendly but they are nice on occasion.

Steve

stahly
26-03-2006, 19:50
I hope the Eldar Codex will be as thick as the SM codex, I think the space is needed.

KedorLao
26-03-2006, 20:03
If memory serves correctly, in 2nd Edition, Harlequins were tacked on the back of the Eldar codex. In 3rd edition, they got an 'opponent must consent' mini-dex in Citadel Journal that was labelled as unofficial.

Personally, I would prefer the Harlequins in the Eldar Dex. I'd rather have the rules for them now, then a lick and a promise that they 'may' get some rules in the future, which I doubt anyway. Have them in the same vein as Kroot. They are a subsection of Eldar armies with a variant all Harlequin list. This way we will actually get them instead of looking hopefully to the future (that is going to be filled with anything else but more Eldar. GW has stated they haven't even put Space Wolves on their list of next codexes, and Harlequins would definately come after them).

I'd rather have a reduced Harlequin list than no Harlequins at all. Besides, they've said they've been working on Eldar for... what... a year at least? I would think that they could squeeze some Harlequins in there along with the revamping of the Eldar.

sanctusmortis
26-03-2006, 20:25
I'd like some use now and a Chapter Approved full list after, ta very much. Happened for Kroot, didn't it?

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 20:50
Well I think it would be totally unfluffy to put the Harlies in the Eldar list. And if you want to have them a a side note in the back of the book, why not just have a seperate chapter aproved list in an issue of White Dwarf. You'd probaly get alot more out of that then a side note on the back of the Eldar codex. Plus, on a personal note, I dont want you Harlies invading my Eldar Codex. Theres enough to put in it and I rather quality over quantity.

Orbital
26-03-2006, 20:55
I'd rather have a reduced Harlequin list than no Harlequins at all.

Not me. I'd rather wait till they can get to it and do a proper job.

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 21:03
Damn straight man, all good things take time.

Sildani
26-03-2006, 21:51
Concur. Besides, Jes Goodwin'll need the time to make the new minis.

To those who can confirm rumors: are there any you can debunk, flat out? Like rending shuriken catapults?

emperorpenguin
26-03-2006, 21:56
Besides, they've said they've been working on Eldar for... what... a year at least? .

since at least GD 2004 time but I'd heard snippets from playtesters in early 04

long time indeed......

Captain Rico
26-03-2006, 22:28
I cant debunk any through GW or any connections other then what I hear online but I can debunk all and any hope of rending Shuriken Catapults, at least for the Guardians.

Look at it this way, you have a squad of 12 Guardians, so thats 24 shots. Out of those 24 shots, 4 are rending on average. There you are, 4 wounds, so you could drop a Wraithlord, Deamons, Avatar, pretty much any big beasty you want. And all this can be yours for 96 points. Sorry, thats just a whee bit cheesy.

(sorry, if I got the rules for rending wrong but a friend of mine says its auto wound and now save on roll of 6 so if I'm wrong, please tell me)

Orbital
26-03-2006, 22:36
Look at it this way, you have a squad of 12 Guardians, so thats 24 shots. Out of those 24 shots, 4 are rending on average. There you are, 4 wounds, so you could drop a Wraithlord, Deamons, Avatar, pretty much any big beasty you want.

Don't necrons have something like that too?

Orcdom
26-03-2006, 22:49
i am wondering and i dont think its been mentioned about Ulthwe, i wonder if the USF List will be the only Ulthwe list available? it has become popular, i think more popular than it had been intended.

that would disallow ulthre from taking any wraithlords, or vehicles larger than a Vyper.
not to mention no more than a couple aspect squads at any one time.

Steve

emperorpenguin
26-03-2006, 22:59

with the USR of 4th ed I'd be very surprised if the gauss rule isn't changed to become rending, it's too similar at the moment

emperorpenguin
26-03-2006, 23:00
i am wondering and i dont think its been mentioned about Ulthwe, i wonder if the USF List will be the only Ulthwe list available? it has become popular, i think more popular than it had been intended.

that would disallow ulthre from taking any wraithlords, or vehicles larger than a Vyper.
not to mention no more than a couple aspect squads at any one time.

Steve

the restriction on aspects I hpe will stay but there's no real reason why Ulthwe wouldn't have tanks etc, it's only the smaller capillaries of the webway they can't traverse

ElPhantasmo
26-03-2006, 23:02
Not really. For one thing you have to hit first, and for another it doesn't ignore armor saves and only glances vehicles.

Personally I think that putting straight-up rending on any sort of ranged weapon is asking for trouble and that the rending Assault Cannon was a mistake. I would prefer a range and strength increase on the shuriken cannon to rending any day. Not to mention that (IIRC) rending was supposed to be a special thing for the Tyranids, and that seeing it show up in Marines felt as odd as seeing Ork mob rules show up in Eldar.

Orbital
26-03-2006, 23:14

I have to disagree with you on two points (cuz I'm just like that. Sorry :) ). I don't think USF is popular; for a lot of average, every day Eldar players it's no fun because it eliminates all the big, nasty units (and come on, it's FUN to play those!), and reads more like a grocery list of nerfs than like an actual army. The reason I got into it is because I wanted to play something that I felt would handicap me so opponents would stop telling me that I only win because of my Grav Tanks and Aspects. Not everyone else is like me that way.

The other point is that I think GW would have loved for USF to catch on, because it might have kept more Eldar players happy while the codex was still be developed (sort of like throwing a scrap at them while preparing the meal). That's just a guess, but I wouldn't say that USF was not intended to become popular.

Your main point, however, is an interesting one. I don't know if I'd never want to see a Falcon or Wraithlord painted in Ulthwe colors again for the rest of my life, and I think that it's asking a lot of Ulthwe players to give those things up. Still, some of the USF rules are awesome (both in making the army stronger and in keeping it from going out of control), and I wouldn't mind seeing some of those rules at least applied to Ulthwe specifically, or the whole codex in general.

emperorpenguin
26-03-2006, 23:24
I have to disagree with you on two points (cuz I'm just like that. Sorry :) ). I don't think USF is popular; for a lot of average, every day Eldar players it's no fun because it eliminates all the big, nasty units (and come on, it's FUN to play those!),

The reason I got into it is because I wanted to play something that I felt would handicap me so opponents would stop telling me that I only win because of my Grav Tanks and Aspects. Not everyone else is like me that way.

The standard Ulthwe list is more popular because it has less restrictions but almost all the benefits of USF, it's a nasty list. I play USF myself because 1) I got the army free as did all GW full timers during eye of terror and 2) because I liked the style, the hit and run warfare which to me are the way Eldar SHOULD be

Orbital
26-03-2006, 23:27
The standard Ulthwe list is more popular because it has less restrictions but almost all the benefits of USF, it's a nasty list. I play USF myself because 1) I got the army free as did all GW full timers during eye of terror and 2) because I liked the style, the hit and run warfare which to me are the way Eldar SHOULD be

Ulthwe is missing one KEY advantage that USF has: BS4 Guardians and Guardian-driven vehicles. For all the nerfs that USF has to swallow, BS4 War Walkers and Vypers (and ALL Defender Guardians) make that army into something to truly fear. I've seen it in action enough times to know that when I absolutely, positively have to win a game, I take USF.

Orcdom
27-03-2006, 00:55
i think that is the reason its popular.

there are i think 3-4 ulthwe players in my area and i think i am the only one that has never used the USF rules. and the other ulthwe players still use the USF list.

i have enough models in my eldar collection for all 5 of the main craftworld lists, and thats at least 2K for each, and even tho i have 3 serpents and 2 wraithlords in my ulthwe army, the more that i think about it, i dont think i would terrably mind if i lost the use of them in that army, they are easy enough to strip and repaint.

the USF, list if it were to be the only way to play Ulthwe, would make it totally unique.

What i would like to see done with other eldar lists like the:

Saim Hainn list for example, is remove wraithguard and wraithlords because they dont fit with the army style (or make both 0-1). also limiting certain aspects there as well. and add at least 1 more each of the elites and HS options back. or just make jetbikes troops and move the options of 6 FA back to 6 Troops with the 2T being compulsory. oh nad require all units be mounted.

Biel Tann Could be left alone

Altioc could be left alone, maybe limit certain aspects

Iyanden, god knows, maybe make wraithguard cheaper for them but basically keep the same army requirements.

Steve

Orbital
27-03-2006, 01:28
i think that is the reason its popular.

Not to belabor a point, but I really have my doubts that it's all that popular. Every time I ask anyone about USF, the short answer is always the same: Hard army to use and win with. That's not an attractive endorsement to most players. Rarely do I hear (except around here) that people think USF kicks ass. *I* think it does, but I'm just one guy in a world of thousands of players.

Spyrle_106
27-03-2006, 01:48
How much would you pay for a bigger Wraithgate? 100pts? 150? To allow a Falcon or Wave Serpent? Or would you risk on 4+ the Big items you paid for will not arrive at all (maybe a 25% max points rule) lost in warp, or web way capillary too small? But just think, a BS4 Falcon..... I might take the chance.

Alaitoc could use a 5-10 unit size for rangers. That would eliminate a lot of hate for the diruption rolls. Although, those rules should be clarified and explained a bit for uniques situations, like vs USF.

I agree on Sam Hain, no Wraithlords, no wraithguard. Maybe give them star engines for their bikes? Could also require a difficult terrain check (or leadership check) to avoid wounds from pushing the bikes too hard. Also may require all vehicles to take star engines.

Biel-tan, require dire avengers, minimum one squad. No more elites or hvy support than dire avenger squads. They are the most common. They are also rumored to be getting better, so it should be an easy sell.

Iyanden, make the troop choices like the Kroot, for one choice, you get 5-10 Wraithguard, 0-1 Wraithlords, and 0-1 Spritseers.

Atlansar, I guess the question is how do you survive in the eye of terror for that long? Powerful Psykers to shield or hide you, strong anti-chaos and demon aspects, Eldar ghost warriors? I'm not sure, maybe they will all get camo cloaks or holofields or something to make them appear ghostly. Maybe night fight rules all the time. Warlocks as a troop choice 5-10, 1 Super warlock as a Vet sgt, 2 others with wb's or SS.? Until more fluff comes out its hard to say what we will see out of the "Ghostly warriors" who helped in the fight for the eye of terror campaign.

Spyrle.

Orcdom
27-03-2006, 01:51
i hope they are totally different than any of the other craftworlds, and not just a nilla list.

Steve

Jon_Irenicus
27-03-2006, 02:38
So, Harlequins as the new aspect warriors? Grrrreat.
Next we see the return of the Zoats to Tyranids and Squats as elites in demiurg ;)

Smoking Frog
27-03-2006, 10:07
So, Harlequins as the new aspect warriors? Grrrreat.
Next we see the return of the Zoats to Tyranids and Squats as elites in demiurg ;)

And rapiers and mole mortars in the IG list!!!

And IG commanders with thunder hammers!

And Commisars with shuriken pistols!!!!

Yay!!! :)

Captain Rico
27-03-2006, 20:22
Damn it, lets just make a Battle Cannon Heavy Weapon squad. DAMN STRAIGHT FOOLS!!!

And know one has proff that harlies wil be an Elite choice, just a rummour which we all hope is false.

TheShadow3s
28-03-2006, 13:05
Me like harlequins ( actually me like shadowseer ) , and please do hope we get harlequins as a 0-1 elite choice , they are fluffy and cool
( marine traits are on the other side the completely the opposite )

Natakue
28-03-2006, 13:37
oh come on sed, DA are next then next year its BA and orks......after that i hope chaos gets done.

Right now IMO Chaos does not need to be done. They are a powerhouse already. And if they do redo the book I hope they dont change a thing.

Now I cant wait for the Eldar codex...I want pic's! :)

Orbital
28-03-2006, 13:47
Right now IMO Chaos does not need to be done. They are a powerhouse already.

Being a "powerhouse" doesn't mean your codex doesn't need fixing.

I'm not saying the Chaos codex does or doesn't. I'm just sayiing that's not a criteria.

Kellindel
28-03-2006, 13:55

I'm not saying the Chaos codex does or doesn't. I'm just sayiing that's not a criteria.

I think the Dark Eldar need to be done before Chaos. After Orks and maybe another Marine Chapter ... But definately before Chaos and the next Edition of the game.

Natakue
28-03-2006, 13:55

True... I just cant see IMO why the chaos needs to be redone. Now if they just want to update a few things and call it a 4th ed codex that's fine. I say this cause I just started a chaos army(wanted a break from my eldar) and OMG! I have never seen a more custom army. But no matter how much custom stuff I do my heart is still with my Eldar. I just cant leave my 2 falcons, 3 vypers, and 2 Wave Serpents they are my babys...:)

Natakue

KedorLao
28-03-2006, 13:57
I just cant leave my 2 falcons, 3 vypers, and 2 Wave Serpents they are my babys...:)

7 very expensive babies.

Natakue
28-03-2006, 14:07
7 very expensive babies.

Very true...but in my local gaming group if I dont take them...I get romped bad! Those things are the only things that keep me up going in a battle. That and my Striking Scorpions. They just cant seem to take them down...but they can slap my troops around like no tomrrow.

Kellindel
28-03-2006, 14:08
7 very expensive babies.

And hence Ebay was born ...

Natakue
28-03-2006, 14:19
And hence Ebay was born ...

LOL!!! Yeah I got them all but the WS on ebay...oh well sorry about going off of the subject.