PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights Advance Orders Up

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Quetzl
09-03-2011, 09:35
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440160a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

Looking pretty good :)

Really like the Nemesis Dreadknight, very cool!

Latro_
09-03-2011, 09:38
Also article on the site with more pics
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=15800027a

I had no reason too bother with GK's but omfg awesome models!

£20.50 for 5 rank and file marine models is a bit scary thou, guess their pts cost must be silly high.

Morkash
09-03-2011, 09:41
Draigo looks quite awesome...the Terminators are nice as well, but the PAGKs look...weird somehow. The helmet seems a bit different as I expected, but overall nice!
I will call my Dreadknight Bumblebee.

Nubl0
09-03-2011, 09:43
Terminators look nice, the normal marines heads look a little bit big... but my god the dreadknight looks horrendous, very stupid looking imo. All in all rather meh for me I expected better after the dark eldar... but then I guess they are just silver marines.

VenomBlood
09-03-2011, 09:47
Plastics seems ace :yes:, but the painting is quite 'eavy metal stile :o :no:

Lord Damocles
09-03-2011, 09:49
Ahhahaha! The Dreadknight looks absolutely absurd.

EDIT:
Lord Kaldor Draigo is a combat monster - there's no other way to describe him. He's lethal against non-daemonic foes, with plenty of Strength 5 force weapon attacks to lay a beat down. When faced with hated Daemons, his Titansword becomes Strength 10, ensuring a pretty one-sided fight in his favour. Even if his enemy survives, Draigo's storm shield is sure to keep him fighting. And on top of all of this, Draigo is a Grand Master, able to bestow extra abilities on his allies. Want your Dreadknight to capture objectives? Draigo can make that happen. Want a Scouting screen of Dreadnoughts? Draigo can make it happen. He's the best possible way to keep your opponent on his toes.
Want to field Mary Sue? Draigo can make that happen!

imcdonnell
09-03-2011, 09:50
Pictures now up...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=15800027a

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1720477a_P3Mb6.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1720476a_P3Mb5.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1720475a_P3Mb4.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1720473a_P3Mb2.jpg
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1720470a_P3Mb1.jpg

Grimtuff
09-03-2011, 09:51

In a good way. ;)

People seem to get too bent out of shape about the sillier elements of 40k.

Note how there appears to be only 1 Warding Stave on the GKT sprue, cue much whining as people cannot get said bit fast enough for the next cookie cutter net list. :p

Radium
09-03-2011, 09:51

Agreed.

The terminators and PA grey knights look great. Draigo too. Nemesis dreadknight... not so much - heck, it's a stupid concept and the model looks totally out of place in 40k.

Latro_
09-03-2011, 09:52

hehe its on par a bit with the matrix mech
http://mimg.ugo.com/201006/48967/cuts/matrix-revolutions-6_480x270.jpg

for zionnn!, .,,, i mean terrrra.

eldargal
09-03-2011, 09:54
The new plastics are nearly identical to the old metals as far as I can see (comparing one of my brothers squads to what I see on the screen). Notsure what people are complaining about there.

The Dreadknight is marginally less absurd than I thought it would be, still think its silly, but I don't think it is any more silly than most of the Ork range. At least the pilot has some armour plates over his torso, unlike those ridiculous things from the Matrix.

Hellebore
09-03-2011, 09:56
hehe its on par a bit with the matrix mech
http://mimg.ugo.com/201006/48967/cuts/matrix-revolutions-6_480x270.jpg

for zionnn!, .,,, i mean terrrra.

Holy.... it looks virtually the same down to the shape of the feet and toes....

Sadly, Draigo's background is written like it is in the leaked book. The question of why you'd need dreadknights when Draigo can do the job of 1000 of them is obviously ignored.

Hellebore

AdamR
09-03-2011, 09:56
I quite like the PAGK, but I agree about the Dreadknight - it really just looks wrong...
Why has it got such good toughness and wounds, when the pilot is stuck on the front of it - he's not even wearing a helmet dammit!!!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
09-03-2011, 09:57
The Terminators looks great, really nice models and a brilliant paint job. I don't mind the Dreadknight, though the guy stuck in the middle of it looks a bit off. I'm not too keen on the PAGK though, as said their heads look weird, and their general body dimensions seems a little off.

Micha
09-03-2011, 10:00
Well, I used to play GK a long time ago (when they were released). I think the models look awesome, they are very close to the metal originals but with much more options now available. Although I liked the gun belt for the stormbolters better then the magazines they have now. The terminators are also very close to the metal ones, although I used the 2nd ed ones back then and never painted the 'real' ones. The Dreadknight looks fine actually, I think it looks much more mobile and high-tech then the penitent engine ot the dreadnought. Although I agree the way the pilot is dangling at the front makes the whole thing look quite vulnerable as compared to a dreadnougt. I assume the thing was meant as a GK version of the penitent engine, as the general layout is actually quite similar. It also loks a bit simiar to the war walkers from the avatar movie, maybe due to it actaully having human-like hands as opposed to a classic dread.

Micha

robjohan
09-03-2011, 10:00
Lovely models. I Must have them all, ill just stop bying food until release...

Aenarion
09-03-2011, 10:01
I'm not sure, I don't think the dreadknight is too bad it's also nice to see something different.

I'm liking, but I don't think it has enough wow for me to drop everything and buy a force of. Lucky wallet.

Inquisitor Engel
09-03-2011, 10:02
Well, I guess I'll be spending some time making them match my now useless Grey Knights... the smaller army I can create out of this the better. *sigh*

Dreadknight looks terrible though could be saved with a repose perhaps.

The helmets on the PAGK's are... odd.

The paint job on all but Draigo look... sub-par to me, far below what I typically expect.

Hellebore
09-03-2011, 10:02
Why is the dreadknight pilot A) in terminator armour (what a waste of resources) and B) not actually enclosed? An enclosed cockpit with a battlebrother wearing something normal would have been far better than a dude in terminator armour strapped to the chest. At least the penitent engine was designed to expose the pilot to cause them as much pain as possible, there's really no reason for that in the dreadknight's case.

Hellebore

Nubl0
09-03-2011, 10:03
You know I think I could deal with the dreadknight if it had a cockpit of sorts and wasnt so static. At the moment the guy in the centre looks like hes strapped into a baby harness.

Latro_
09-03-2011, 10:07
Why is the dreadknight pilot A) in terminator armour (what a waste of resources) and B) not actually enclosed? An enclosed cockpit with a battlebrother wearing something normal would have been far better than a dude in terminator armour strapped to the chest. At least the penitent engine was designed to expose the pilot to cause them as much pain as possible, there's really no reason for that in the dreadknight's case.

Hellebore

GW meeting:
'we need a new unit to look out there and cool in the new GK codex so all the kids are gonna love it'

'hows about a dreadnought! but BIG, kids love robots'

'how big'

'BIG'

'It needs to look out there though! like a dreadnought but different'

'Hows about the cockpit area exposed and stuff?'

'Like in the matrix?! you sir are a genius, get skulpting, the kids are gonna lap this up!'

'aob?'

'no we're done here'

Brother Jones
09-03-2011, 10:13
Ahahaha the dreadknight looks like utter ****.

Totally making a pre heresy dreadnought out of it though, the whole GK range is going to be conversions for my marines.

Idaan
09-03-2011, 10:14
At the risk of using an old meme, Matt Ward likes power armour so much, that he put power armour on his power armour, so he can appear huge while he appears huge. Lame :rolleyes:

shin'keiro
09-03-2011, 10:15

Hellebore

agreed - looks as silly as Thunderwolves!

Still not as tough as a wraithlord, but better saves.

Gropius
09-03-2011, 10:16
While I think that the exposed pilot is silly, the rest of the Dreadknight is fine. It looks alot like a pre-herey Dreadnought to me. I'd like to see the sprues.

The conversion potential of the plastic infantry looks great. Just the amount of different close combat weapons on the terminator sprues.

stahly
09-03-2011, 10:18
Nice price increase on the Terminator Librarian for no reason. Was 12,50 Euro before, is now 15,50 Euro.

Mercutius
09-03-2011, 10:18
And what is the sense to equip a dread knight with heavy weapons? Is heavy fire not best supportet from the back with tanks and so on? Is'nt it a waste of resources to buil a dread knight, then waste a terminator on it an then let it stay in the back to support fire? So riddiculus. I think it should have two close combat weapons, if it still has to exist...

And draigo let Abaddon look like a child, how I hate GWs latest background...

PS: sorry for the rant...

Worsle
09-03-2011, 10:20
Note how there appears to be only 1 Warding Stave on the GKT sprue, cue much whining as people cannot get said bit fast enough for the next cookie cutter net list. :p

A 2++ in combat only? It is not even that good, people will just ignore it.

Hellebore

You know for someone complaining so much about Daigo you don't seem to have read the dreadknights fluff. Not saying it is brilliant but it does explain why it has an open cockpit. But then again why do that when we can all just complain about how silly this idea is compared to all the other stupid ideas that have been perfectly acceptable up until now.

Lord Khabal
09-03-2011, 10:22
Why oh why do I have to pay bills... :(
Do I really need a house and a car? and to eat? god damn it...
Just ordered the codex. And nothing else... Im a sad panda! :(

The termies and PA look like the metal models. GOOD!
The dreadknight looks weird. But I'll buy a couple of them anyway. No monkeys or Crowe?

Hellebore
09-03-2011, 10:34
You know for someone complaining so much about Daigo you don't seem to have read the dreadknights fluff. Not saying it is brilliant but it does explain why it has an open cockpit. But then again why do that when we can all just complain about how silly this idea is compared to all the other stupid ideas that have been perfectly acceptable up until now.

I have. Having a force field just makes it even more redundant to wear terminator armour. In fact, if the force field is 'nigh impenetrable' why is the exosuit so heavily armoured in the first place? Given it's so heavily armoured, why did they suddenly not armour the pilot?

Titans have protective fields, you don't see their crew strapped to the front in priceless armour. Actual Titan Knights have fields, you don't see their pilots strapped to the front. Oh dear, I just had horrible images of the next GW plastic kit - Warlord titan with crew hanging from the carapace...

Having a force field doesn't explain why there isn't an armoured shell around the pilot. Why he isn't in a cockpit. The model is plenty big enough to have him inside the torso.

If they wanted to show how tough he was, inside dreadknight armour protected by a nigh impenetrable forcefield would have done it. The force field is a solution to the problem of having a pilot exposed, it's not a REASON to have the pilot exposed.

Hellebore

Covering Fire
09-03-2011, 10:34
While I think that the exposed pilot is silly, the rest of the Dreadknight is fine. It looks alot like a pre-herey Dreadnought to me. I'd like to see the sprues.

Just scroll the pics on the Dreadknight page to see the sprues. Seems to be a lot of bits on there!

I agree that the heads on the GK's in Power armour looks a bit strange, and I'm not too sure about the antenna-things on the backpacks.

Darkspear
09-03-2011, 10:38
The dreadknight is a Mummy dreadnought with a baby space marine strapped on.

Coldblood666
Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this but I think the Dreadknight is spectacular. Really, its one of the coolest 40k models EVER. The rest of the release looks great too. I don't much like the silver color scheme though, I think I'm going to paint mine with white armour instead.

blooddragon
Not read the leaked codex so could someone explain...

How Draigo made Abbaddon look like a child...?

And are there any other fluff embarrassments that I need to steel myself for?

EDIT: Also, the Dreadknight looks to me simply like an extension of the knight's body, rather than an added protection. Perhaps a better way of thinking of this?

Godzooky
09-03-2011, 10:41
I have. Having a force field just makes it even more redundant to wear terminator armour. In fact, if the force field is 'nigh impenetrable' why is the exosuit so heavily armoured in the first place? Given it's so heavily armoured, why did they suddenly not armour the pilot?

Titans have protective fields, you don't see their crew strapped to the front in priceless armour. Actual Titan Knights have fields, you don't see their pilots strapped to the front. Oh dear, I just had horrible images of the next GW plastic kit - Warlord titan with crew hanging from the carapace...

Having a force field doesn't explain why there isn't an armoured shell around the pilot. Why he isn't in a cockpit. The model is plenty big enough to have him inside the torso.

If they wanted to show how tough he was, inside dreadknight armour protected by a nigh impenetrable forcefield would have done it. The force field is a solution to the problem of having a pilot exposed, it's not a REASON to have the pilot exposed.

Hellebore

Not that I'm defending the design, but maybe they just felt that if they completely incased the marine it would be too close in concept to a dread.

Grimtuff
09-03-2011, 10:42
And what is the sense to equip a dread knight with heavy weapons? Is heavy fire not best supportet from the back with tanks and so on? Is'nt it a waste of resources to buil a dread knight, then waste a terminator on it an then let it stay in the back to support fire? So riddiculus. I think it should have two close combat weapons, if it still has to exist...

Firstly, Monstrous Creatures are Relentless and can fire on the move, secondly the DK comes equipped with 2 DCCW as standard. Thus making your little rant moot. ;)

EDIT: Also, the Dreadknight looks to me simply like an extension of the knight's body, rather than an added protection. Perhaps a better way of thinking of this?

That's exactly what it is. But let's let Warseer have it's customary moan and let them make some crappy meme out of it like TWC, as apparently 40k is getting too unbelievable.... :eyebrows:

lilloser2010
09-03-2011, 10:43
Where is the monkey? I thought he'd be released in the initial wave.

Grimtuff
09-03-2011, 10:45
Where is the monkey? I thought he'd be released in the initial wave.

Nope, there was never a release of a Jokearo on the cards, unless I missed something.

Morkash
09-03-2011, 10:47
Titans have protective fields, you don't see their crew strapped to the front in priceless armour. Actual Titan Knights have fields, you don't see their pilots strapped to the front.

Hehehe, now I have a picture of an open-topped Reaver titan convertible in mind, with the Princeps shouting and wavering with his chainsword: "For the Emperor, eat my sword, sissies!" :D:D:D

Souleater
09-03-2011, 10:49
Mixed feelings. A lot of it looks quite good - not brilliant, mind. The new stuff is obviously a continuation - which is what I was expecting but nothing in there blows me away.

Some odd posing choices and the colour scheme are the problem for me. The shade of silver along with the bronze metals and pale robes don't work for me. My GK were painted dark grey which allowed for much better depth of shading.

My quibble with the storm bolters is the small, off center barrel holes. Could they not have redrilled?

Helmeted Draigo is a good model, though.

EDIT:

The force field is a solution to the problem of having a pilot exposed, it's not a REASON to have the pilot exposed.

I agree with your conclusion. I presume the Handwavium shield also prevents those same GD and DP from simply plucking the guys head or limbs straight off in CC...

The DK does look better with the two big guns on but..it still looks silly to me. For 40K it looks silly...which is impressive.

I also feel a vague sense of smugness at all those Thunder Hammers. Cos people argued they didn't have or need them. :shifty:

Frgt/10
09-03-2011, 10:59
2 models haven't been put up yet:

Castellan Crowe
Jokaero (yes the monkey is getting a model and it looks rad :D )

Nope, there was never a release of a Jokearo on the cards, unless I missed something.

you did
it's coming

Souleater
09-03-2011, 11:02
Hehehe, I might just have to pick up a Jokaero if the model is cool. :)

Wise Guy Sam
09-03-2011, 11:07
I'm relieved.

The range is pretty good but I'm not getting that usual impulse to drop everything and spend up. Thank's GW for that because I really don't need another army (just yet).

I'm sure it has been mentioned countless times but I didn't follow much of this release, I'm a little dissapointed that the codex isn't hard cover like the Orc and Goblin AB.

Frgt/10
09-03-2011, 11:11
for those wondering, Crowe can be seen in this picture, he's the guy in the back right corner with the cape.

Grimtuff
09-03-2011, 11:11
I'm a little dissapointed that the codex isn't hard cover like the Orc and Goblin AB.

I'm not. As it's just another way for GW to artificially raise the price on a (compulsary if you want to play the army) item. If they gave us the option of softback and hardback like PP do then that's a different matter and a whole 'nother topic entirely.

Lord Khabal
09-03-2011, 11:13
for those wondering, Crowe can be seen in this picture, he's the guy in the back right corner with the cape.

Thanks! looks pretty cool!

TrojanWolf
09-03-2011, 11:13
The models look okay to me, with the exception of the Dreadknight - now that people have mentioned the baby harness, I will never be able to see anything but that.

However, they do not make me want to start an army. Earlier in my involvement with 40k I might have considered it, but now I feel little but contempt for the mon-keigh zealots.

I do have one question though. Will other GKPA squads (eg Purgation squads) see a kit or will the standard kit be used for all?

Morkash
09-03-2011, 11:16
The article mentioned in post 2 suggests the latter. You can build all the PAGKs from this box. Theoretically.

Frgt/10
09-03-2011, 11:17
I do have one question though. Will other GKPA squads (eg Purgation squads) see a kit or will the standard kit be used for all?

standard kit will almost certainly be used for all of them.
there's enough parts in those kits to make any of the units in the codex (aside from multiple heavy weapons)
ditto for terminators/paladins

edit: my mistake, there are 2 psycannons in the PA kit, along with single incinerator and psilencer

Asmodia
09-03-2011, 11:22
How is been protected by a force field while wearing Terminator armour while strapped into an armoured exo skeleton making the Grey Knight exposed?

I don't get that line of reasoning.

TrojanWolf
09-03-2011, 11:24
standard kit will almost certainly be used for all of them.
there's enough parts in those kits to make any of the units in the codex (aside from multiple heavy weapons)
ditto for terminators/paladins

So it could be in the same boat as the Wyches if you want more than one of the same gladiator weapon. Good to know I suppose.

shadowhawk2008
09-03-2011, 11:24
The new storm bolters on the PAGK's look absolutely ridiculous, the old belt feeds were much much better. The helmets also give off a standard helmet vibe.

And OMG the baby-harness. Otherwise the DK model looks good.

sheppe
09-03-2011, 11:33
Clearly the designers of the DreadKnight have been watching far too much Avatar.

The rest of the models look interesting, and Deathwing fans will be happy as there's finally a plastic terminator standard bearer and apothecary (scroll through other termie pics)

madden
09-03-2011, 11:40
I quite like these but just going to get the book to start with and maybe the dreadknight (love the look is that thing tall or what).

surprize
09-03-2011, 11:45
I'm loving the dreadknight with the massive NMM sword in the group shot. That has given me a good chuckle. Looks like it should be fighting some big monster in a 1970's Ray Harryhausen stop-motion film.

Its also nice to see GK's continue the Top Trumps theme of 40K with special rule-denying special rules.

Eagerly awaiting the next demon codex where a demon (probably a special character) will get a special rule to cancel the special rule to remove the special rule the demons get for an invulnerable save. At which point everyone has to shout "JENGA!!!!".

Crazy Ivan
09-03-2011, 11:46
I quite like these but just going to get the book to start with and maybe the dreadknight (love the look is that thing tall or what).
The Dreadknight is going to give the Grey Knights a huge advantage during the Imperial Inter-Service Basketball Competition, that's for sure! :p

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 11:53
I don't get all the Matrix/Avatar reference. It's the very same as with the DE Raider being a rip of from Star Wars Sailbarges.

The design makes sense. A Exoskelleton is basically just that - a enhancement of your own body. US Army is working on something similar aswell, what are you going to tell them when it's finished? "Hey, nice job, but I still think the one from Avatar looked a liiiittle bit better, oh, and watch out for tentacled robot-drones, Ha Ha!"?

Yes, they could have put the marine IN the Dreadknight. You know what you would have said then? "Oh, look, a Evangelion/Gundam/random-mecha-anime - Rip-off."

A total different design with say, 4 legs? "Oh, now they got their own Souldgrinder?" Or "Looks like a Scrin from CnC?"

They could have left it out, yes. Than the whine would be "Wait, no new units besides different-style PAGK's? That's so lame."

Keep in mind that despite all alien-tech and high-tech weaponry, they are still a human army. And what are humans best in controlling? Their own body. So, what's the logical conclusion? Extend the body. Works perfect. Yo could have added a couple of arms, than the whine would be "oh, look, doc ock."

If you dig deep enough you can find something similar in EVERYTHING. There as no decent new invention in design since Jules Verne. To quote my favorite TV show: "All of this has happened befor, and all of it will happen again."

This will not be the last exoskelleton we see which looks "like this thing from Matrix. or Avatar. or Aliens."

I really hope that at least half of you complain because they actually don't like the very idea behind this machine (as I do, don't like the concept of Grey Knights needing such a walker), and not because you copy empty phrases by people filled with so much bitterness in their life that they have a need to whine about EVERYTHING.

Justice
09-03-2011, 11:54
I'm not sure what people's issue with the dreadknight is. I think it's by far the best kit in the release.

Even from a fluff stand point it's cool - the idea of a lone GK strapping on a battle harness to go toe to toe with a greater demon is awesome. And it brings to mind many great sci-fi movie moments. How many GK players will be taking on Nids screaming 'Get away from her you bi*ch!' whilst CC a tyrant!
It's no more ridiculous than a dreadnaught (at least the pilot has functioning limbs) or a penitent engine and is far less silly than inquisitor doom chair or whatever he's called!

the other kits look ok too, loads of options although they universally seem to have heads that are a fraction too big!

Just

Earthbeard
09-03-2011, 11:56
The Monkey and crowe are the ones missing from the pre-order, not sure how they missed the boat.

Even a day later I still don;t like the DK as a 40k vehicle/unit, just doesn't fit imho.

Still love the termi apothecary.

Now I've got to see the sprues, rather than pictures, those hammers I wanted are gonna be a swine to get hold of now.

Heero-Severus
09-03-2011, 11:57
Feeling exposed while wearing Terminator Armour?!? get a grip!

Models look ace tbh, cant wait to get to grips with the kits to see what i can come up with. Interested into what size base the dreadknight is on. It looks bigger than 60mm to me.

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 11:59
Draigo looks a little plain considering his achievements.

Thanatos_elNyx
09-03-2011, 11:59
Sadly, Draigo's background is written like it is in the leaked book.

Yeah, this was my first thought when checking these out.

But I have to say the Helmeted Draigo model is fairly nice.

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 12:01
The Monkey and crowe are the ones missing from the pre-order, not sure how they missed the boat.

Even a day later I still don;t like the DK as a 40k vehicle/unit, just doesn't fit imho.

Still love the termi apothecary.

Now I've got to see the sprues, rather than pictures, those hammers I wanted are gonna be a swine to get hold of now.

They are released 2 weeks later. The Sprues are on the page.

Crazy Ivan
09-03-2011, 12:04
I'm actually liking the Dreadknight more by the minute. I think it looks cool and has a lot of modelling potential. I just want someone to model two high-fiving each other... :D

It's also nice to see that the Draigo model continues the multiple head options thing for metal models, as this is still a rarity as far as I know (Louen Leoncouer, Sicarius, DE Archon, Draigo?).

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 12:08
That named Tau Commander in the new Suit has Two heads aswell.

stonehorse
09-03-2011, 12:09
The Dread Knight looks good, I can't for the life of me understand the complaints... it is a nice model, and adds something new to the Grey Knights playstyle.

Stop the negativity, and enjoy your hobby.

MajorWesJanson
09-03-2011, 12:11
Coteaz as a blister will probably join Crowe and Jokero in 2 weeks.

I mostly like the Dreadknight, but for ease of weapon swapping and appearance, I may trim off those reinforcing rod things at the shoulder, leaving the first wheel but nothing past it. Then It becomes a lot easier to swap the heavy weapons. Hands look easy to magnetize too.

I love the helmeted Draigo. Makes a hard choice as I also wanted to use the ForgeWorld Inquisitor model for him. Too bad a normal Grandmaster can't take a Storm Shield.

Its nice to see a lot of the weapons are being held two handed, all the old metals they held their Nemesis weapons in one hand.

I can see why the proportions look a tad off- it is because the necklines and hoods are more circular than the metals, which had a lot of straight lines around the helmet. The Terminator helmets especially on the metals merged into the neck, so the new heads look more rounded because they curve around and have a back to them.

What does make me sad is that the Terminators have 13 heads for 5 guys, but the PAGKs only have 7 heads for 5 guys :(

_dwarf_
09-03-2011, 12:12
The dread knight imho looks a little weird. I am not saying he's ugly he just doesn't look that tough.

Great news tho and i can't wait to get my hands on the codex!

laudarkul
09-03-2011, 12:32
Amazing Dread Knight...An interesting model and I'm waiting to have one and assemble it and paint it (especially the shooting version)...
As for PAGK and GKT at least one kit is a must...

doomspittle
09-03-2011, 12:35
The Dread Knight is terrible, the rest , well silver marines.

rabblerouser
09-03-2011, 12:35
The Dread Knight looks good, I can't for the life of me understand the complaints... it is a nice model, and adds something new to the Grey Knights playstyle.

Stop the negativity, and enjoy your hobby.

Maybe people are complaining because it looks like this (see attached file)
It's basically a giant space marine that fights greater demons... everything about it seems to clash with 40k imagery

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 12:38
The dreadknight concept, being passable as an exosuit driven by an exosuit seems to poorly translate into a kit. I'd be interested in seeing the sprues. Everytime i've seen a picture of one the pose is very static and toy-like.

Crovax20
09-03-2011, 12:39
Awesome Grey Knights the only space marine army that ever interested me. But why are the prices so rediculous, do they come with a blessing from the local priest and a bottle of holy water or something?

NixonAsADaemonPrince
09-03-2011, 12:41
The prices aren't really surprising, in fact I'm quite pleased with the TAGK price. It's just the general trend of GW pricing unfortunately.

WokeUpDead
09-03-2011, 12:44
well, my wallet is happy :)

was afraid that I might spend some money on these, but.. no way ;)

the dreadknight doesn't fit right there IMH(umble)O and I won't repeat the ranting it's gotten so fa - deserved as it may be ;)

the PAGK look just like marines, but with a really lame style (helmet, rediculous big weapons attached to arm...) - cartoony marines.

the termies aren't really any better, IMO. maybe slightly less cartoony, but still..

after the great DEldar releases I was afraid these GK would be great, too, and I had to buy all that stuff.. well, my wallet is happy (for now) ;)

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 12:49
The dreadknight concept, being passable as an exosuit driven by an exosuit seems to poorly translate into a kit. I'd be interested in seeing the sprues. Everytime i've seen a picture of one the pose is very static and toy-like.

The sprues are on the Page.

MajorWesJanson
09-03-2011, 12:50

Try GW's site. They have sprue pics available

Nemesis Dreadknight (https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1160010a&rootCatGameStyle=)

I'm looking at the guns, trying to figure out how to best magnetize them. Guess I'll have to see it in person.

MistaGav
09-03-2011, 12:52
The dreadknight reminds me of the Basketball robot (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w4VnmXyM4g8/SjKLSG66aYI/AAAAAAAAKOo/ewMruhZ-L3g/s400/dexter+2.jpg) from Dexter's laboratory. Not sure if I like it though as the price puts me off more than anything.

The terminators though I really like especially the fact that there's options to make an apothecary and Banner bearer which makes it easier for my Deathwing. I will probably pick up a box just to make an elite set of terminators.

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 12:53
Oddly enough sprue pictures aren't showing up. Yay work computer.

Kjell
09-03-2011, 12:56
The power armour dues are alright (should have been a box of ten, though) and the terminator armour dudes are alright but the bolters could have done without the clumsy ammo box. The power armour heads will probably be pretty popular as bits. I know I'd find a use for one. Mostly I want to get some GK bits and make a Chaos Lord with a stolen and desecrated suit. You could also convert decent autocannons out of those psycannons by just extending the barrel.

The Dreadknight is dumb in both concept and execution and looks like the tau tried to build a Wraithlord. At most it could fit into a tech priest army as a mixture of robot/knight technology.

MikeyB
09-03-2011, 13:00
... and is far less silly than inquisitor doom chair or whatever he's called!

Oh god that made me laugh ^_^ Forever shall he be known as Inquisitor Doom Chair for me now :D

Personally the power load..er...Dreadknight is growing on me. I too like the concept of the one utter nut job going after a 'thirster and pressing >,V \|, and punch on his joypad he's got there and dragon punching it back where it came from ^_^

Only issue i have is it looks like the legs come in a one-pose-fits-all configuration :(

Not gonan get any but I can appreciate them :) Roll on the sisters though! :D

TimLeeson
09-03-2011, 13:02
I'm indifferent personally, it all looks "okay" but nothing I really care for, thats ok though! I am however very excited for the new jokaero model!!

laudarkul
09-03-2011, 13:11
I'm indifferent personally, it all looks "okay" but nothing I really care for, thats ok though! I am however very excited for the new jokaero model!!

Any info's about the look of the model? It will be plastic set or metal models?

Korraz
09-03-2011, 13:16
No matter how long I stare at it, I just can't bring myself to like the DK. Oh well, I'll wait to see it in real life. Maybe it's like Minotaurs, Pumbagor and the Storm Raven and I'll like it once I've really seen it.

PAGK without lots of halberds? I have no mouth and I must scream.

Draigo is really nice. Will get a red paintjob and join as a cap.

Am I the only one that thinks that the paintjobs look really, really weird? Like...they just airbrushed Mithril Silver over everything and called it a day?

MajorWesJanson
09-03-2011, 13:16
Any info's about the look of the model? It will be plastic set or metal models?

Jokero is a single metal model.

I may get one, but I plan to make a variety by using a Jokero model, then some of the Dwarf Engineer models from Fantasy to represent surviving Squat engineers.

Poseidal
09-03-2011, 13:18
Hmm, the Dreadknight is a joke and the Termanators look worse than the metal ones. The plastic Power Armour Grey Knights look a bit better than the old ones who didn't look that great.

With Draigo 'Eavy Metal seem to have painted his face to look tortured, probably after reading his own codex entry.

Korraz
09-03-2011, 13:25
I like how the cover of the dex continues the tradition of bland, washed out-colourswirl covers.
Wait a minute...aren't the PAGK and Terminator legs the regular legs from the regular boxes with some extra bling?

Anyway, with those rules and for 130 points (remember the "undercosted" Trygon?) the Nemesis Dreadknight will sell, no matter what the miniature looks like.

Müller
09-03-2011, 13:26
...Seriously?
This is what GW has been doing lately?

These fellas and the Stormraven are def. some of the single worst models I've seen GW ever release...

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 13:26
If GW can re-filter the Jokero into Grimdarkery then Squats shouldn't be a problem! :D

blooddragon
09-03-2011, 13:30
I'm so surprised at all the rather extreme negativity so far....

These models look wicked. And they're plastic. And they have tons of conversion options.

:confused::confused::confused:

Heero-Severus
09-03-2011, 13:31
Seems like polished marines can make a 12 meters tall metal combat monster but can't make an enclosed cockpit for pilot... Great job :shifty: :wtf:

Advantages and disadvantages of a external cockpit for a guy already in terminator armour please?

Doppleskanger
09-03-2011, 13:33
@Rabblerouser

Ah I like what you did with the photo of the kid in the baby harness...

But let me ask you, if you were that little kid and you were getting pushed around by a bigger kid who wanted your icecream... wouldn't you want to be strapped to the front of a great big thing with four limbs and an attitude?

Lathrael
09-03-2011, 13:35
Advantages and disadvantages of a external cockpit for a guy already in terminator armour please?

And joints plus head exposed? It will be twice easier to disable the pilot than incapaciate the walker instead. There is a reason for a terminator armor can fail against a lasgun but a dreadnought will not.

BigBarryJazz
09-03-2011, 13:35
Seems like polished marines can make a 12 meters tall metal combat monster but can't make an enclosed cockpit for pilot... Great job :shifty: :wtf:

But he's wearing terminator armour, which is supposedly tough enough to survive being stepped on by a titan. May as well keep the weight down. Also, aren't they supposed to get close to the enemy and then smack it upside the head? If that's the case then I'd want as big a field of vision as possible. A cockpit could be a bit of a liability in that situation.

Lathrael
09-03-2011, 13:37
But he's wearing terminator armour, which is supposedly tough enough to survive being stepped on by a titan. May as well keep the weight down. Also, aren't they supposed to get close to the enemy and then smack it upside the head? If that's the case then I'd want as big a field of vision as possible. A cockpit could be a bit of a liability in that situation.

As i said, such device can handle ticker armor than terminator armor for it's most vital part: The pilot.

MajorWesJanson
09-03-2011, 13:38
Wait a minute...aren't the PAGK and Terminator legs the regular legs from the regular boxes with some extra bling?

Nope, at least no more than the metals were. The terminator legs, like the metals, have the engravings and the larger hip plates that cover the thighs. The PAGKs all have the solid shin/knee setup with engravings, again just like the metals.

The Terminators look somewhat different, thanks to the head. The metal terminators had the head basically blend into the torso. There was no back or bottom to the helmet, much less a neck. The plastics have separate heads, and the bottom of the faceplate looks odd since the old models never showed that part. The neckline is dropped a tad, making sort of a circular opening.

If you look at the pictures where the terminators have their chins down, inside the neckline, they look a lot more like the older ones.

The other thing that may make them look weird is that they hold a lot of their weapons with two hands now. The metal models were all one handed. That changes the look quite a bit too.

I like the new helmets. They have sort of a more menacing, brutal feel to them. And there is one terminator head that looks a lot like Poseidal's icon too.

The Dreadknight seems like it is meant to be strapped on or jumped out of as needed. It's not a set of armor, the Terminator Armor takes care of that. It is an exo-suit, meant to give more reach, more strength, and mount much heavier weapons than a terminator could carry and retain mobility. If the suit is damaged or not needed at the moment, the pilot could hop out and join his brothers.

Heero-Severus
09-03-2011, 13:40
And joints plus head exposed? It will be twice easier to disable the pilot than incapaciate the walker instead. There is a reason for a terminator armor can fail against a lasgun but a dreadnought will not.

Ahh but this is not a machine to fight lasguns, its to valiantly face down an immortal foe face to face :P

Besides anyone who has seen Return of the Jedi knows how easy it is to take down walkers, enclosed or otherwise!!

Ofc your welcome to design somthing far more practical to fit in with the stringent realisms of the 41st millenium.

Bestial Fury
09-03-2011, 13:44

Hellebore

Agreed. I like the design of the dreadknight except the pilot.
The other thing that bothers me are the coils on the strike team. Will have to convert something else for that. Those coils look wonky.

I absolutely love everything else though. (Well except the magazines and ammo cases on the storm bolters)

FabricatorGeneralMike
09-03-2011, 13:49
I agree with a few other posters, the whole release is 'meh'. I like the termies not as much as the metal ones, but they do look nice.

The PAGK's look 'off' to me, there's something about them that I just don't like. The legs look really bad, not enough runic wards in there I think. Since these where all designed on CAD you think they would put a little more umphh into them. Also its the fact that I only get 5 for three dollars less then a tac-squad. I really hope this isn't the new trend.

The DK looks awful. They should of let forgeworld have a crack at it.

As much as I hate the fluff of Drago...:wtf::shifty: the helemted model looks nice.

Great way to get more money out of people GW, half the amount of marines in there but keep the price around the same.

I really need to read the whole dex before I make a final decision about them but from what I have seen....'meh'.... bring on the jes and juan sisters please.

Kjell
09-03-2011, 13:49

There isn't a reason to first give the pilot a rare suit of armour and then strap him into Optimus Prime. It's a much more sensible concept to just have an enclosed cockpit from the start. It would look less dumb, as well.

tezdal
09-03-2011, 13:50
Wow, kudos to you Games Workshop, I didn't think anyone could make awesome Grey Knights stupid looking, but you sure did. Since when did Grey Knight terminators start looting eldar war walkers?

Dilgar
09-03-2011, 13:52
Have to voice my disapointment with the dreadknight (sry)...I mean suit on a suit, I could maybe even understand if there would be some rule saying that the guy can jump out of it if destroyed and fight as normal or some but this is just...

Really really disapointed :cries:

Raised my concern when the first rumours of the guy started circling that they will go and mess it up and apperantly they did. (yes yes my opinion but looks kinda like the general one).

Other models look similar to the old ones, which is VERY GOOD, like em alot.

Edit: LOL, just realised that the guy even stands on some "cute" leg platforms...

Alvena
09-03-2011, 14:00
I WANT that GK terminator apothecary :)

Lord Khabal
09-03-2011, 14:04
I do like the number of "acessories" in the termie pack. Great to decorate the "new" rhinos / razorbacks. Shame there isnt a "flat" banner for the termies but the one we get is quite cool. gotta buy me some 3-4 rhinos... :(

ckirby10
09-03-2011, 14:23
The old Justicar model is now magically a Brotherhood Champion lol

Suspicions
09-03-2011, 14:24
I think this release shows exactly just how much GW can outdo themselves when they try. Comparing what we have today to where modeling was just three years ago shows a world of progress, and I can't wait to see what's next. Everything in this advance order is amazing and there is no way that I am not getting three Dreadknights to use as Knight Titans. Thank you GW for making me give up my lunch money to slake my hobby lust.

maaksel
09-03-2011, 14:39
http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/831/831290/aliens-ripley-powerloader_1193711350.jpg

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images//AUTOIMAGES/MTT3900lg.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-aC0UYCmL8U8/TXd3mOa-euI/AAAAAAAAFQo/RQ_INf61Gv8/s640/m1710176a_99120107003_DreadKnight01_873x627.jpg

Iverald
09-03-2011, 14:41
I've been ogling these for quite some time. They well and truly recaptured the feel of the metal versions while adding variety. I'm not mind-blown but this release has everything what I hoped for and a bit more. :)

Thoughts:

1. If you don't like the plastic psycannon, you can always get the metal version (I'm going to add them to my old metal minis)

2. White paintjob on Purifiers' heads makes them optically bigger.

3. Personal teleporters look naff, but I'm thinking of bending lenghts of thin copper wire (around 0.25mm thickness), attaching them to the antennas and painting them light blue so that they resemble electric arcs.

Conversely, you can use standard jumppacks.

4. Marketing old Justicar model as Brotherhood Campion is kinda lazy. ;)

5. The paintjob could use more contrast (near-black shadows) looking more "polished" (no pun intended whatsoever :angel:).

6. I got over the banana clips quite easily. Probably that was the best way out.

7. They managed to make them more individual without resorting to excessive bling. Also, Purifier Justicar's face (despite silghtly messed-up chin) looks great. :)

streetsamurai
09-03-2011, 14:45
Terminators look nice, the normal marines heads look a little bit big... but my god the dreadknight looks horrendous, very stupid looking imo. All in all rather meh for me I expected better after the dark eldar... but then I guess they are just silver marines.

agreed, I wasn't neceseerly against the dreadknight asthetically (rule wise, I think it's dumb to use mc rules for a walker. What's next, tank using mc rules), when i first heard about it, but the model is pretty bad. As said before, it look like a man carrying a baby.

The rest is pretty good tough, but not as great as the metal ones imo.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 14:49
I like them overall (of course, some complaints as almost nothing is perfect), but wondering how the hell to make a good looking Librarian without using the crappy regular terminator one GW makes.

Maybe cut up Draigo and use some plastic and fw parts?

Sanjay

stonehorse
09-03-2011, 14:49
Has anyone thought that the Terminator is needed to help interface with the exo suit, I'm not a massive Marine fan, but I think that their Power Armour is wired into them via the Black Carapce so that the armour becomes a second skin in effect.

Could this be the same with the Terminator Armour?

The more I look at the Dread Knight the more I laugh at all the people saying that it looks like a Transformer... it shares very little resemblance to a Transformer, or a man carrying a baby for that matter.

Someone said in an earlier entry, that if GW hadn't have given the Grey Knights something new they would have moaned about it, seems no matter what GW do with the models people are always going to cry... and people wonder why the GW studio have very little internet presence.

Dilgar
09-03-2011, 14:50
Thankfully the Dreadknights pilot´s legs are not incorporated in some other part, but a very own piece.

By leaving the legs of, and converting some "box" maybe a bigger version of the one all GK´s have with the "book" on there chest there instead, might make the figure alot better already.

It would also go a long way to remove the "I have a suit on a suit" thingi, which is the only thing most of us seem to dislike.

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 14:54
Conversely, you can use standard jumppacks.

I think I will put the wings of the sanguinary guard on them.

stonehorse
09-03-2011, 14:56
I think I will put the wings of the sanguinary guard on them.

Nice idea.

Avalon
09-03-2011, 14:57
I don't understand Kaldor's fluff. It's said that he banished Mkar as a battle-brother and has been cursed to live within the warp since...so how was he ordained Grand Master? Does he have an official retinue with him that did so?

Ramrod
09-03-2011, 15:00
their Power Armour is wired into them via the Black Carapce so that the armour becomes a second skin in effect.

Could this be the same with the Terminator Armour?

I'm pretty sure that's a given. Terminator armour is just big power armour. Better in every way, but works the same.

The counterargument is that with a closed cockpit, they'd only need a chest and back plate (the black caparace is in the torso) for the marine to interface with the Dreadknight.

Castigator
09-03-2011, 15:01
I don't understand Kaldor's fluff. It's said that he banished Mkar as a battle-brother and has been cursed to live within the warp since...so how was he ordained Grand Master? Does he have an official retinue with him that did so?

He fought him twice.

As a battle-brother, he beats M'Kar and banishes him. M'kar however casts a curse that Draigo himself would be banished forever to the warp if he does it again.

Next time they meet, Draigo (now Chapter Master) "kills" him again, knowing the curse would consequently doom him to wander the warp for eternity.

Poseidal
09-03-2011, 15:01

Kaldor Draigo cares not for such little things as 'details'.

loveless
09-03-2011, 15:08
Thoughts:

- Dreadknight looks silly with the exposed head, but looks alright with the helmet. I was hoping it would be a bit more enclosed, but I'm okay with it - it's still pretty cool.

- Grey Knights are actually pretty cool. The teleporter packs are giggle-worthy for silly implementation, but the rest of the bits are excellent. I would've preferred more Incinerators, but the look didn't change so drastically that the metals will look out of place.

- Grey Knight Terminators are the stars of this release. Good Emperor, those are pretty. I've got zero complaints about this kit - tons of options for a price that makes normal Terminators look all the more overpriced.

- Draigo desperately needs to keep his helmet on. Other than that, he looks alright.

Sarevok
09-03-2011, 15:08
The Matrix suits were stupid and ridiculed at the time. Of all the stuff to rip off, why did they chose that?

KingDeath
09-03-2011, 15:10
I agree. Probably if the Studio did a 1:1 transfer from metal to plastic, some people would still be crying that the new mins don't have the same "feel" to them. :eyebrows:

And some people cheer on everything GW does, no matter how meh it is.

But back on topic,
The new miniatures, with the notable exception of the Dreadknight, are ok, but not really overwhelming. The new Stormbolters look stupid but the rest is acceptable, if imo inferior to the Dark Eldar release. No reason for me to continue or even expand my tiny GK army.
Oh, but Draigo looks awesome.

Godzooky
09-03-2011, 15:10
I reckon a ven dread front, crowbarred onto the front of the dreadknight, and using the GK helmet bonce would prettify that up, large-time. :shifty:

Vic
09-03-2011, 15:11
Wow, the Dreadknight looks almost like a copy of the Matrix exosuits. Where's the creativity GW? Looks like they've forgotten the theme of retrotech/steampunk gothic (thick canopy's, smoke stacks, oversized weapons etc) that made the 40k universe the 40k universe.

Wonder what they want for it? Maybe I can still find some GIjoe or Matrix suits to proxy them...

Kjell
09-03-2011, 15:12
Someone said in an earlier entry, that if GW hadn't have given the Grey Knights something new they would have moaned about it, seems no matter what GW do with the models people are always going to cry... and people wonder why the GW studio have very little internet presence.

There's no basis for that people would complain that the Grey Knights didn't get a man-zord. There is a greater variety of Nemesis weaponry, Paladins and dudes with teleporters. That's just fine as far as new stuff goes and makes sense. There's nothing about GK background that suggests a need for a big robot.

If the Dreadknight had an enclosed cockpit, didn't have those silly little hands and was an Adeptus Mechanicus contraption that stood between robots/Dreadnoughts and Knights I don't think anyone would mind. But as it is, it is simply stupid.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 15:12
*cough* FW ven GK dread *cough* :)

Sanjay

zis
09-03-2011, 15:13
Well some cool models but not the wow feeling i expected to get from seeing them. The dread khnight is fine but the pictures on the advance order page is bad, the article about them shows a much better angle and then it looks far better then just front picture wich is terrible.

I will buy the book to read the rules, and maby some models to paint but i will probebly not start an army of them.

Mentat
09-03-2011, 15:21
1. The Nemesis Dread looks to me like an upgraded version of the penetant engine, it is not without precedence in the 40k universe. It's probably based off some exoskeleton used by tech priests to change high light bulbs on Mars.

2. If I were going to strap myself into an exoskeleton and I was an elite of the elite, I would damn sure wear the best armor I could in case the exoskeleton is disabled or the force field goes down. Also, it would be unbecoming for the grey knight to be strapped in wearing a loin cloth.

3. I have never seen so many whiners in my life. Go Warseer!

ChrisMurray
I like it - all of it. I would have prefered the DK to be different, I especially am not keen on the legs hanging out, but as a model it looks to be well made and fantasticly sculpted. If I wasn't in the mood where all I want to paint is blue at the moment I would have picked up a small force. Looking forward to seeing what the space monkey looks like.

stonehorse
There's nothing about GK background that suggests a need for a big robot.

I see how that can be viewed as an issue, but from what I have read the new Codex explains why they need the Dread Knight, and it does make sense. Given the size of the monstrosities that they have to fight, they have seen that their physical dimensions are sometimes not enough to combat said monstrosities. So they resort to Man's gift, our creativity to over come such obstacles. Also aren't the Grey Knights meant to get all the best and exotic wargear from Mars? If so, well that in itself is enough justification.

I imagine that the Grey Knights found it hard to swallow their pride and admit that they need the Dread Knights.

The only complaint that can be levelled at the model is that the legs are a bit too static... other than that it is a great model. I'll never have one as Grey Knights aren't my thing.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 15:22
It appears the ammo boxes on the storm bolters are attached to the guns; not separate parts, so maybe sawing them off?

the SBs will prob look betterwithout the ammo boxes. You can also buy ammo feeds (resin) from other companies and just add them on?

Sanjay

Anarnaxe
09-03-2011, 15:23
Looking at most of the new range, well, I can live with it. Hell, there are some bits there that would be perfect for the Dark Angels (Apothecary terminator bits for a start).

But... Every time I look at the dreadknight, I die a little inside.

daismith906
09-03-2011, 15:24
Loving the models even the dreadknight. It fits in with there specialist theme, if your going to fight a monster daemon you'll need a monster weapon to hit it with - ask ripley, lol!

People are asking why the driver isnt in a armour cab - well it'd be a huge dreadnought then wouldnt it.

Planning on using/ painting mine as custodes, think the gold armour would look good.

Ramrod
09-03-2011, 15:25
It appears the ammo boxes on the storm bolters are attached to the guns; not separate parts, so maybe sawing them off?

Look at the sprues. They're all separate, PAGKs and GKTs.

Sandlemad
09-03-2011, 15:25
The dreadknight looks silly, very silly indeed, but pretty good. Not too impressed with the eavy metal paintjob on some of the PA knights though.

loveless
09-03-2011, 15:26
People are asking why the driver isnt in a armour cab - well it'd be a huge dreadnought then wouldnt it.

Well...no. It'd be a bit more like a huge Sentinel.

Rirekon
09-03-2011, 15:32
The more I look at the DreadKnight the more I like it - probably related to having watched Aliens for Nth time recently ;)

For those of you who won't accept Rule-Of-Cool as an excuse, have you considered that;

a. Given this thing is designed for getting up close and personal with Greater Daemons the Gk might need a quick way to ditch evac the Knight.
b. GK fluff supports them having crazy levels of access to Terminator Armour, which is so close to being tank armour that it almost makes up for not being in an armoured cockpit.

Put those two together and it makes more sense to me. Sure the pilot is probably more vulnerable than if he was in a cockpit, but not significantly so given the armour he is wearing, and the trade off is probably worth it. GK are created to sell their lives in service to the Emperor after all - surviving is a secondary concern beyond completing the mission.

MalusCalibur
09-03-2011, 15:35
I have to echo the thoughts about the Dreadknight - it just looks daft, completely unfitting with the 40k aesthetic, let alone the Imperial one (and the justification I've heard floating around that it's alien tech makes it worse). Not to mention the strange pose of the 'pilot' that very much looks like a child harness - it doesn't look at all like the DK is an exoskeleton, an extension of his body. It just looks like he is stuck helplessly to the front of it.

PAGK's look alright. I preferred the old ones, as I felt the NFH was the thing that made them stand out, but these are reasonable sculpts, if we ignore the Storm Bolters and their awkward side-mounted magazine. Though the teleport packs are just beyond stupid.

The Terminators look...weird. It's hard to pin down exactly why, as on the surface the design hasn't changed from the metals, but something about the heads and shoulders looks wrong. The Sergeant (or whatever equivalent title the model has) in the 'command group' picture has one of the stupidest poses ever concieved, so one would hope the kit has the potential to avoid that. I'm also not sure why one of the Terminators has a Thunderfire Cannon strapped to his arm - I suppose it's a new weapon from the book I'm unaware of, but it looks a bit oversized to be a forearm gun.

Both kits look bad for the inclusion of the severed Daemon heads. I don't think they really add much, and look a bit stupid. Assumedly, though, they are optional pieces.

Helmeted Draigo is a nice sculpt. The cover of the book is acceptable too - neither spectacular nor horrific.

All the models suffer from the usual pricing issues so I won't even get started on that.

Overall, it seems a rather underwhelming release. Nothing seems to have improved drastically in quality over the previous metals, and though I don't have the exact numbers to hand, I don't think the price of an army of GK's will have decreased by much compared to an old all-metal one either. Not to say it's a terrible release, just a bit 'oh, is that it?'

Korraz
09-03-2011, 15:37
The only gripe I have with the NDK (Ward went out of his way to call him NEMESIS Dread Knight! Honor his work!) is, that it looks so...Un-Imperial. Not clunky enough. But I keep looking and discover a bit imperial clunkyness. So maybe, not everything is lost. I say: Wait for the real thing.

The TDA in an Exoskeleton...My initial reaction was a facepalm. My second thought was "This is a baby-harness." My third was "Oh well, just don't think about it", shrugging it off. MST3K mantra.

Also: I just noticed how Draigo wears the Ecclesiarchy I as his banner?

GreySeerZ
09-03-2011, 15:42
Honestly, I like the dreadknight (is that bad? :confused:) haha. I can definitely see why some people hate on it, but it is very different, which I can appreciate. I'd rather have something completely different then something that looked like a dread on steroids. Not saying that people aren't justified in their responses, and while it does look like the Matrix walkers, it also looks like the Alien loader, which is pretty bad-ass (nostalgia FTW). The detail is pretty good on it as well.

As for the rest, I thought the original grey knights models were amazing, the fact that they are now plastic is even better. I think people were expecting their design/ornamentation to be extraordinary. But I think they look great, special characters too.

I think after waiting so long people just got a lot of personal images in their head about what the new ones should look like (heck, i've spent knights dreaming), but in the end I think they did alright, and am excited to look at the new rules! and send my friends Kairos back to the warp!

Gropius
09-03-2011, 15:47
What annoys me with these models ist the same thing as with all Marines. The giant heads without helmets. they are the same size as the helmets. How are they supposed to fit in there. In addition to that, smaller heads, same size as for example guard heads, would make the marines look more imposing.

Korraz
As for the rest, I thought the original grey knights models were amazing, the fact that they are now plastic is even better. I think people were expecting their design/ornamentation to be extraordinary. But I think they look great, special characters too.

Well, to be fair, we GOT hyped that they were supposed to be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, so detailed that Sanguinary Guard and Space Hulk Terminators would look like the first plastic Marines.

Doppleskanger
Or the harness does kind of look like the ones you get on fancy new rollercoasters.

Like this one.
Which is called Nemisis.
Which is at Alton Towers.
Which is 30 miles from Nottingham :shifty:

BobtheInquisitor
09-03-2011, 15:48
I'm loving the dreadknight with the massive NMM sword in the group shot. That has given me a good chuckle. Looks like it should be fighting some big monster in a 1970's Ray Harryhausen stop-motion film.

You just sold me on the Dreadknight! At first, I thought it was ridiculous, but now I must buy one to fight a warhammer giant to the death while Sinbad watches on in awe.

As for the PAGK, I think their "ears" need to be filed down to make them look more like the metals.

Ramrod
09-03-2011, 15:48
The Terminators look...weird. It's hard to pin down exactly why, as on the surface the design hasn't changed from the metals, but something about the heads and shoulders looks wrong.

Comparing the pics to the old metal mini in my hand, top of the torso seems more rounded, the neck opening seems to be wider, and the Aegis hood is much bigger (the old metal minis had some pretty puny ones, tbh). As for the head, it looks "taller", if that makes any sense.

This post is not intended as a criticism, it's just for edification. I personally love the new sculpts.

Shatterclaw
09-03-2011, 15:49
That easy enough to fix,

what you do, is take a dreadnought torso and combined it with the front of the Dread knight.

Its a fairly simple conversion, really. You can run leads from teh empty shockets of the dread to the Knight, then you have one pair of arms.. then all you have to do is may be add some plastic card to the legs and leave off the footsteps where the termy is. Boom, your done. I would suggest using the Grey knight termy head, and the ven dread body.. that can be really nifty if done right.

The models look okay to me, with the exception of the Dreadknight - now that people have mentioned the baby harness, I will never be able to see anything but that.

However, they do not make me want to start an army. Earlier in my involvement with 40k I might have considered it, but now I feel little but contempt for the mon-keigh zealots.

Ravenous
09-03-2011, 15:50
I laughed when I saw the dread night.

I have a massive exoskeleton mech suit armed to the teeth! Just dont shoot me in the face....

ModelCalamity
09-03-2011, 15:53
I think hanging in a harness like this will give the knight more freedom seeing around him. I imagine that this would give them a much needed edge against big daemons

Mentat
09-03-2011, 15:59
As far as the design of the NDK not looking Imperial, just compare a Grey Knight Strike Cruiser to a Space Marine Strike Cruiser:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1182489_99060801001_BFGStrikeCruiserMain_445x319. jpg

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/DefaultFW/large/gkstrike.jpg

The Grey Knights receive the most advanced tech that the AM will give them and it apparently has a sleeker look.

Korraz
09-03-2011, 16:02
That's why I said that I'm slowly discovering more Imperial things at the NDK.

Fugazi
09-03-2011, 16:03
the sillier elements of 40k.

+1. Although my own personal preference is a contrast between the super serious marines and super silly orks. Put an Ork in that Dreadknight and you got something.

Jokaero (yes the monkey is getting a model and it looks rad :D )

Nevermind, put the Jokaero in the Dreadknight.

Otherwise, owning only a small few of the metals from the last release, I love the new PAGK and TAGK plastics. I'll have to save up to buy a box of each for mix'n'match with some unbuilt vanillas.

The Dreadknight doesn't excite me. If I wanted that kinda thing, I'd go back to Battletech/Mechwarrior. Design-wise, it looks incomplete. It looks like more junk should be thrown on it so that it would better belong to an Ork army.

Conceptually, I'm not a fan. To me, the Dreadknight dilutes the existence of Dreadnoughts. But I realize my point of view has no place in the GW universe of today. The race to out-uber the previous uber continues.

(Lest anyone think I'm just whining, I want to reiterate that I love the PAGK and TAGK plastics. And the Draigo mini seems interesting enough. If the love-hate ratio is always 3:1, then that's pretty solid. Also, Ork or Jokaero in Dreadknight instead of terminator is uber-silly-good.)

Zweischneid
09-03-2011, 16:03
As far as the design of the NDK not looking Imperial, just compare a Grey Knight Strike Cruiser to a Space Marine Strike Cruiser:

As far as the design of the NDK not looking Imperial, just compare it to this particular piece of imperial tech.

FlashGordon
09-03-2011, 16:06
Dear god that dreadnought looks like a piece of filth, but oh, the rules are probably going to be awsome(like the buttugly stormbird) and will sell as hell. Way to go gw for promoting ****** models.

superdupermatt
09-03-2011, 16:07
I'm glad the SB clips are separate, I won't be attaching them, but instead I will use the rhino SB ammo feeds. Much nicer (in my head).

I am unsure on the dreadknight though, as I was from the day I hears rumours, although I agree there is a fluff gap it fills nicely.

I like the justicar model that has his sword stuck in a nurgling's head!

Korraz
09-03-2011, 16:09
It's not a Dreadnought, it's a Nemesis Dreadknight. And yes, the rules are ridiculous and make Tyranid players cry.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
09-03-2011, 16:10
It is worth nothing that the dreadknight's legs are, as I suspected, similar in basic design to a warhound's (Or Sentinels) legs. Double jointed with a reverse ankle joint. I still think it looks silly, but at least there to somewhat tie in what is effectively a knight titan with its closest relatives.

The terminators are cool, but I don't know if I will be picking any up. I'm not really sold on the new weapons options, and I still like my current GKT just fine. The new PAGK though? Super sexy. The Justicar with his sword impaled in a plaguebearer's head was all I needed to see to know that I'm picking up at least a box of these guys.

Draigo looks off without his helmet. With it on he's pretty cool, should make a cool GM model for those who want one.

Coldblood666
09-03-2011, 16:14
For those who hate the Dreadknight, wait till the Dreadknight spam is tabling your entire army! I for one am planning on using 3 ;)

Voss
09-03-2011, 16:18
Wow, the Dreadknight looks almost like a copy of the Matrix exosuits. Where's the creativity GW? Looks like they've forgotten the theme of retrotech/steampunk gothic (thick canopy's, smoke stacks, oversized weapons etc) that made the 40k universe the 40k universe.

They dropped a lot of themes for this book.

On the models themselves... I've got to say that the stormbolters on the power armor guys are really awful. Blocky, ridiculously oversized and cumbersome, and I've seen better barrel-holes done by hand with drill bits. They're passable on the terminators, but just don't work with power armour. The teleporter vanes add a level of silly, and none of them look particularly capable of wielding their weapons effectively- they look like little kids trying to wave around big brother's swords and guns.

The new heavy weapon designs are also a bit... odd. They aren't bad, but the design aesthetic is off, as if they were designed for a different game.

Small release as well.

It's not a Dreadnought, it's a Nemesis Dreadknight. And yes, the rules are ridiculous and make Tyranid players cry.
The text from Mat Ward at the bottom of the entry helps with that as well. 'It can beat up any other MC in the game, and absolutely slaughters everything else' is a bad sign for game balance.

FlashGordon
09-03-2011, 16:19
For those who hate the Dreadknight, wait till the Dreadknight spam is tabling your entire army! I for one am planning on using 3 ;)

Well i stopped playing tournaments when 5th entered the stage.

Fugazi
09-03-2011, 16:19
I'm glad the SB clips are separate, I won't be attaching them, but instead I will use the rhino SB ammo feeds. Much nicer (in my head).

Yeah, I prefer the box ammo magazine to the sickle clip/magazine style. I could use a whole sprue of box magazine bits.

boreas
09-03-2011, 16:24
I for one, like pretty much all models, but I still have to get the hanging-baby image out of my head to completely like the NDK.

I'm happy so many people prefer the metal model. I've got about 25 PAGK and 14 GKT fully painted and I was wondering if I'd sell them or not. Now, I might get a decent price for them and switch to a plastic army.

Oh, and ridiculous canadian prices strikes again!

4 GKSS boxes, 2 GKT boxes, 2 NDK boxes, 1 codex: From my local store: 500CDN$ (loca taxes inc.). Shipped around the world by Wayland (free ship. voucher): 285CDN$

Phil

Fugazi
09-03-2011, 16:31
The Draigo model is metal, yes? (It doesn't say, but I'd assume that if it were plastic it would be more than 6 pieces.)

The unhelmeted head looks terrible. The helmeted head looks fine. If I were to pick it up, I'd consider a Space Wolf head in there.

lordbeefy
09-03-2011, 16:32
Ammo box to the side.....how are these guys supposed to reach OVER their gun to change clips? Seriously, the design there is way off, they will have to roate their whole arm around to even reach the damn thing.....just wouldnt work....plus, as earlier poster pointed out, the belt feed versions jus looked way cooler.

PAGK's...agreed, the scale looks odd, almost childlike dimeansions.

Dreadknight....awful....departs from the design ethos of 40K in my opinion.

Having said the foregoing, I am pleased that GW is trying new things, and undeniably we will be inundated with multiple dreadknight armies and power gamers everywhere.....but who am I to throw accusations.....I just bought 2 stormravens and three BA dreads as my new army.....decided to try something different to my IG and orks.....glad I went with BA though....far better release of minis.

Fable
09-03-2011, 16:35
I don't know if it's that they followed up Dark Eldar, which in my mind have been a magnificent line so far, or if it's just power armor fatigue, but I'm really underwhelmed.

Cigar
09-03-2011, 16:42
Does anyone else find the bolters attached to the GK's forearms rather ridiculous?

I can't get over how weird/dumb/bulky etc. they look.

Also the GK and GKT's armor (aside from ornamental pieces) looks too similar. Especially since most people's armies aren't going to be THAT detailed in their paint jobs.

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 16:45
It is nice to see a slight return to the RT'esque silliness with the Jokaero and Dreadknight. Perhaps 40k is turning away from Grimdark a little?

Irbian
09-03-2011, 16:46
With Draigo 'Eavy Metal seem to have painted his face to look tortured, probably after reading his own codex entry.

LOL that made my day :D

Torpedo Vegas
09-03-2011, 16:46
Meh, they don't look bad, but I am not exactly blown away by the line either. They look more or less like the old models, maybe with a bit more detail. Dreadknight is dumb, but sort of fits in.

Hendarion
09-03-2011, 16:47
Just to hear some reasonable arguments, why exactly are so many hating the Dreadnight?
- Because it has legs which are long enough to actually walk? (opposite to a Dreadnought)
- Because it has a pilot attached to the front like Eldar Warwalker-Pilots and who is able to use his legs and arms to move freely to control the Dread?
- Because it has big guns to compensate for ... something else?
- Because it actually does look technically instead of the overall flat Marine-Power-Armour which seems to move the heavy plates because of pure magic?
- Because it is towering all the other tiny off-scale 40k-machines?

Let me hear it, what exactly is it that creates so much hate for that construct? I rather see it as a nice new kit which actually does look like it could work at least, not like a Penitent's Engine that looks like a stupid giant electronic organ with some poor naked fellow in front of it.

I mean after all, what DID people expect from a MARINE RELEASE? That power armours will look differently? That Storm Bolters will become slim like Shuriken Catapults? ORLY?

bkiker
09-03-2011, 16:48
Ahahaha the dreadknight looks like utter ****.

Totally making a pre heresy dreadnought out of it though, the whole GK range is going to be conversions for my marines.

I think the dreadknight is okay. However, I agree on the conversion. I see so many bitz that I can slap on else where that I may start a Grey Knight army just so I have an excuse to buy the troops.

I'm still curious to see how the codex will end up being though.

loveless
09-03-2011, 16:48
The helmeted head looks fine. If I were to pick it up, I'd consider a Space Wolf head in there.

I actually like this line of thinking. I like to think of Draigo as grizzled and at the breaking point, but still fighting the good fight (I don't care what the official fluff is, if he's in the Warp, that's how I'm going to picture him...), and a fair few of the Space Wolf heads fit that perfectly.

mephy77
09-03-2011, 16:49
Clawed fiend for DE, Jokero for Grey knights...anyone taking bets on the Necrons getting a hrud or one of the other xenos creatures from the old SM codex? Maybe Craftworld eldar will get their psychic cat back!

Could anyone in the know (Frgt10 maybe ;) ) tell us what the Monkey looks like? Is it bigger than a marine for example, has it got armour, any current models that are analogous?

I'm excited about getting a hold of that monkey.

Kalishnikov-47
09-03-2011, 16:52
They gave us two Psycannons! I am complete. Psycannon spam is totally viable.

Fugazi
09-03-2011, 16:53
I actually like this line of thinking. I like to think of Draigo as grizzled and at the breaking point, but still fighting the good fight (I don't care what the official fluff is, if he's in the Warp, that's how I'm going to picture him...), and a fair few of the Space Wolf heads fit that perfectly.
Exactly. There are a few long-bearded Wolf heads that would look more fitting (I loathe the fluff, but I have no problem with the model itself).

grundz
09-03-2011, 16:53
Ammo box to the side.....how are these guys supposed to reach OVER their gun to change clips?

They would first need to remember their gun take magazines and not clips, and get a new ammunition magazine (which appear out of nowhere for all space marines) and fold their opposite arm to their stomach which will extend the mag downwards, which is perfectly swapable assuming that the forearm rotates not just the hand.

Scelerat
09-03-2011, 16:55
Clawed fiend for DE, Jokero for Grey knights...anyone taking bets on the Necrons getting a hrud or one of the other xenos creatures from the old SM codex? Maybe Craftworld eldar will get their psychic cat back!
That would be absolutely ace.

BramGaunt
09-03-2011, 16:57
Just to hear some reasonable arguments, why exactly are so many hating the Dreadnight?
- Because it has legs which are long enough to actually walk? (opposite to a Dreadnought)
- Because it has a pilot attached to the front like Eldar Warwalker-Pilots and who is able to use his legs and arms to move freely to control the Dread?
- Because it actually does look technically instead of the overall flat Marine-Power-Armour which seems to move the heavy plates because of pure magic?

Let me hear it, what exactly is it that creates so much hate for that construct? I rather see it as a nice new kit which actually does look like it could work at least, not like a Penitent's Engine that looks like a stupid giant electronic organ with some poor naked fellow in front of it.

I mean after all, what DID people expect from a MARINE RELEASE? That power armours will look differently? That Storm Bolters will become slim like Shuriken Catapults? ORLY?

All of the hate is created by swimming with the stream. Someone said, from the blurry pic, that he didn't like the sculpt and the idea, and everyone else just has to jump on the same train to feel recognized.

Could anyone in the know (Frgt10 maybe ;) ) tell us what the Monkey looks like? Is it bigger than a marine for example, has it got armour, any current models that are analogous?

I'm excited about getting a hold of that monkey.

Don't care how, bu I'll convert mine to look like this (http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/Evil_Monkey_301.gif)

Irbian
09-03-2011, 16:58
3. Personal teleporters look naff, but I'm thinking of bending lenghts of thin copper wire (around 0.25mm thickness), attaching them to the antennas and painting them light blue so that they resemble electric arcs.

4. Marketing old Justicar model as Brotherhood Campion is kinda lazy. ;)

3) Beautiful idea

4) Yes! XD I think that the black templar champion model suit better

Zweischneid
09-03-2011, 17:02
Don't care how, bu I'll convert mine to look like this (http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/Evil_Monkey_301.gif)

Not far off the Reaper Monkey (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Orangutango/latest/50214#detail/50214_p_1_mp)!! :p

VenomBlood
09-03-2011, 17:02
Does anybody mentioned the banner in terms unit: sbolter is on the wrong hand

tezdal
09-03-2011, 17:05

Because it doesn't look like any other Imperial technology? Plus it's ugly

SgtTaters
09-03-2011, 17:07
Because it doesn't look like any other Imperial technology? Plus it's ugly
Do you know what doesn't look like a space marine? a dreadnought.

Dreadknight could look better*, but it still fits the aesthetic of the Imperium.
Think about it this way, space marines finally have a robot that is at least as articulated as their basic powered armor!

Look at the dreadnought. It has no knees. It has stubbly little arms. It is a killa kube. Orks have an excuse to make ramshackle clunky designs, space marines don't. They even make these killa kubes with silly little heads sticking out the middle of the body for no reason. The clunkiness at least made sense as a walking sarcophagus, now you have a cartoon bodybuilder with no knees.

The Dreadknight has knees, it has elbows, it has hands with thumbs. It looks like something Orks didn't build. It actually looks as advanced as the powered armor that basic marines wear. A waddling robot is something I expect from orks, space marine death machines can walk.

*could look a lot better. overall dreadnoughts are a better thought out design. They are meant to be clunky and sort of waddling, being something like a rhino with feet, but I think that's better for orks to carry and space marines deserve some battle machines that look as... 'renaissance artful' as their own infantry.

Godsized
09-03-2011, 17:08
After the Dark Eldar I was hoping for something a little better model wise. Over all not impressed. The dread knight just looks plain silly and the plastics are just the metal ones to my eyes. Maybe missing something but over all poor and just another marine army

Kjell
09-03-2011, 17:09
Hrm, many people who don't like the thing have already explained why. If you read what they have written it should be easy to figure out what their reasoning is.

The short of it is that it has no justification for being a baby harness, in a Grey Knight army or for looking like something from a different toyline altogether. If you had a cockpit, no dumb hands and giant swords and put it in an Adeptus Mechanicus list no one would complain. It would then just be a very small Knight or a very large robot (which the AM has reason for having, to say the least).

Captain Ventris
09-03-2011, 17:10
All I know is, woe be tide the Grey Knights player that loses a Dreadknight to my Orks...(if thats even possible, due to the OTT rules I'm hearing about) cause it will be converted in short order to a Meka-Dread...

Erwos
09-03-2011, 17:10
They gave us two Psycannons! I am complete. Psycannon spam is totally viable.
Yep - two boxes gives you a MSU Purgation squad with four psycannons and a MSU Purifier squad with two incinerators, both of which are perfectly valid configurations. Still not the greatest value on earth, but it does ease the sting of the price a bit.

Terminators only seem to come with one of each, though. Then again, they still have metal psycannon arms in the store, so no big deal.

andyg2006
09-03-2011, 17:11
I personally like the Dreadknight.
I think all too often, it's assumes that 'advanced' or 'high-tech' in 40K means sleeker, smoother and more bling (just like we do now), but I always took it to mean it was just 'something that other people don't use'.
So whereas someone like the Tau and all 3 flavours of Eldar would use more advanced gizmo's and better aerodynamics for their best gear, I think it makes a lot of sense for the GK's to have something which looks older (e.g. thinking the exposed pistons for the arms) as the AdMech view tech with a reverence and to keep the oldest stuff for the best people.
I think if the design had been more widespread (e.g. other Chapters) for the past x thousand years, then they'd eventually have come up with the kind of re-fits that people here are suggesting (e.g. like the Razorback is an up-armed version of the Rhino STC, but it's a relatively new design compared with the Rhino), but the Mech tend to keep things the same, hence why you have the 'exposed pilot' stuff.

Will be really shocked if the dreadknight is the same pts as a dreadnought though...underpriced or what?

Just my thoughts.

Bestial Fury
09-03-2011, 17:11

Looks like a mechanical baby carrier. But I'm sure it can be converted.

Coldblood666
09-03-2011, 17:14
Dreadknight could look better*, but it still fits the aesthetic of the Imperium.

Think about it this way, space marines finally have a robot that is at least as articulated as their basic powered armor!

Look at the dreadnought. It has no knees. It has stubbly little arms. It is a killa kube. Orks have an excuse to make ramshackle clunky designs, space marines don't. They even make these killa kubes with silly little heads sticking out the middle of the body for no reason. The clunkiness at least made sense as a walking sarcophagus, now you have a cartoon bodybuilder with no knees.

The Dreadknight has knees, it has elbows, it has hands with thumbs. It looks like something Orks didn't build. It actually looks as advanced as the powered armor that basic marines wear. A waddling robot is something I expect from orks, space marine death machines can walk.

Do you know what doesn't look like a space marine? a dreadnought.

*could look a lot better. overall dreadnoughts are a better thought out design. They are meant to be clunky and sort of waddling, but I think that's better for orks to carry and space marines deserve some battle machines that look as... 'renaissance artful' as their own infantry.

Yes, the concept of the Dreadnought is very old indeed and newer dreds have been milking from the same old clunker design for a very long time. Its about time GW changed things up a bit and gave 40k some new much needed flavor. All the people that hate the DK need to take a look at all the other armies in 40k and maybe they will realize this is a great release. The new design direction of DE and now the GK's are breathing new life into 40k and im becoming very glad to retire my Fantasy armies for a bit to get back into 40k.

npow34
09-03-2011, 17:14
Whole range is awesome! The dreadknight is much better than originally thought and the rest of the scupts are great! Well done GW.

I do however wonder if they will include decal sheets for the Grey Knights for vehicles and also heraldry on the pads?

lordbeefy
09-03-2011, 17:15
They would first need to remember their gun take magazines and not clips, and get a new ammunition magazine (which appear out of nowhere for all space marines) and fold their opposite arm to their stomach which will extend the mag downwards, which is perfectly swapable assuming that the forearm rotates not just the hand.

...yeah, cos with that bulky a weapon, i am sure that their arms are totally able to multi flex and rotate in place in the heat of battle.

...and please, are you really being picky about the choice of wording between clip, magazine etc?

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 17:15
Not sure why there are a lot of complaints about how vulnerable the Dreadknight looks.
The pilot is a Terminator...
The overall model, according to the leaked rules has a 2+ save...the same as a Terminator...
This makes sense to me...
I think all the models look brilliant and can't wait to add these to my Grey Knight army...
I'm very pleased.

Brotheroracle
09-03-2011, 17:19
I really like the halberds, I mean a lot. I really want to make a dreadNOUGHT heavy army. Well I've wanted to do that for awhile, and I think this is going to be the army to do it with. The picture in my head is of a bunch of halberd wielding troops backed up by a bunch of dreads. Most competitive? Probably not, but it will look cool.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 17:20
yeah, i do think the DK looks pretty cool :)

a good paintjob and it's even better.

I want to add a banner to it though :P

Sanjay

ted1138
09-03-2011, 17:26
Can't believe so many people online don't get the "Jokero" thing yet, you'd think that with an April 2nd release date they'd have figured it out... :cool:

Nubl0
09-03-2011, 17:26
Well if GW really are going to come out with more things like the dreadknight I will never be starting another 40k army... When I first heard of 40k and all the "powered armour" and "chainswords" I dissmissed it as anime crap, but when I actually saw it and read into it. Well I found it awesome, it was mor western, more gothic and pretty gritty and at times silly. However this.. this thing is exactly what I don't want 40k to become the dreadknight looks like somthing out of a japanese toy line with a space marine tacked on the front. The dreadnought is awesome because it looks brutal and functional. Once again the Dreadknight looks like it came out of a cartoon (megas xlr springs to mind) I will weep the day a chaos version comes out and we get some artwork of them wrestling like giant gundams.

I'll stick with my old metals thanks.

solkan
09-03-2011, 17:27
The real question is how many people are suddenly disappointed that the last day of March is a Thursday this year? :p

mephy77
09-03-2011, 17:27
Can't believe so many people online don't get the "Jokero" thing yet, you'd think that with an April 2nd release date they'd have figured it out... :cool:

Don't say that. It's the most exciting part of the grey knight release for me.

It's like telling me there's no Space Santa.

grundz
09-03-2011, 17:29
...yeah, cos with that bulky a weapon, i am sure that their arms are totally able to multi flex and rotate in place in the heat of battle.
Without true grit they aren't using the stormbolters in close combat, its no different from reloading a bullpup rifle except that it is attached to your forearm so you have to pull in a little tighter.

...and please, are you really being picky about the choice of wording between clip, magazine etc?
It is unfortunate that how imaginary toy men reload their weapons haunts your worst nightmares as much as failures in grammar, logic, and terms haunt mine.

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 17:29
@StarFyre...I was thinking of some form of tabard piece to go between it's legs to make it look more like the Brother Captain and Justicar...wonder what would work best...
@ted1138... If it was April 1st, I would be worried ;)...
@Nubl0...sorry about this...I guess you could just ignore the model altogther...you must really hate the Tau, huh?

Shatterclaw
09-03-2011, 17:30
It's not funny. Wasn't funny when people did it for the Dark Eldar a few years back.

Still not funny.

Besides, how many people even remember what a Jokero looks like much less what it dose? You can walk in to a Gw store and yell out Jokero.. and have some little tike make a rude joke about the dark knight.

Now if you had said Squats, well then.. there been enough noise about them for ages.

Okay may be it is a little funny.. Just a tad.

Nubl0
09-03-2011, 17:33
I shall be ignoring it, and as for tau... they are not my favourite but atleast all their units look cohesive and are the same style. The DK does not look imperial in the slightest. I imagine however changing the legs and arms and perhaps adding a cockpit would help alot. As it is, it's just a giant walking baby harness.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 17:36
The Old Scholar - i love freehand, so i actually wanted to add tabards for all the terminator models and more elaborate stuff for the paladins so i can go nuts on em :)

hehe

but that is great. i will add that to the DK maybe as well :)

In fact, the more I look at the models, the more I hate the StormRaven i got since it doesn't look anywhere as cool as these minis do :(

Sanjay

Alsharoth
09-03-2011, 17:40
I know I can't use them but I want a pair of dreadnights in my UM army

SamaNagol
09-03-2011, 17:40
The new terminators are........not better than the old ones.

The new Power Armour marines are a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. So I will be keeping my metal Termies and replacing my PAGK

mephy77
09-03-2011, 17:42
@Shatterclaw - Ahh, but the Jokero is for the connoisseur collector, not for the tyke.

I love these little side releases. Even though I won't be running a clawed fiend in a DE list (I think they were a little shoe-horned in there), I will certainly be buying one. Same for the Jokero.

naked_surfer
09-03-2011, 17:42
That'd be me getting back into 40k then. Due you think the bank will give me a loan to start a grey knights army? :D

I like them all, including the dreadknight. Except I'm not sure about the new terminator's slightly redesigned helmets - I'll have to see them in the flesh to say for sure.

Shatterclaw
09-03-2011, 17:44
Oh, common on, it takes a real man to take a baby walking harness in to battle. I can see the epic battle now, The Blood thrister, KaBalRisah the ever thirsty, is laying waist to some small world off in the far corner of the universe, when who should show up, but the Grey Knights.. they brought an Old (new) toy with them. At first sight KaBlarisah had a good laugh and makes a few rude remarks about the Grey Knight having to baby sit.

Just so the demon players can have a good laugh before they cry as the think takes out every model that makes it to the table.

I'm glad the Grey Knights have the Dread Knight. There won't be so many complaints when i field my Thunder wolves..

You know what would make matter worse.. if you could have a dread Knight hooked up to a Storm Raven and have it dropped in like it dose with the dread.

I shall be ignoring it, and as for tau... they are not my favourite but atleast all their units look cohesive and are the same style. The DK does not look imperial in the slightest. I imagine however changing the legs and arms and perhaps adding a cockpit would help alot. As it is, it's just a giant walking baby harness.

jimbo1701
09-03-2011, 17:45
Anyone else spot Crowe? Follow the green arrow:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/jimbo1701/crowe-1.jpg

Shinnentai
09-03-2011, 17:46
The other figures look good, but that giant exo-armour just looks dumb. So many of Games Workshop's recent large-size releases just look like kid's toys to me. Luckily Forgeworld's designs are more to my liking :-)

Shatterclaw
09-03-2011, 17:48
So true. But you do got to love dropping in some thing that they haven't seen before.

I have this urge to teach the young ones at the local shop. Try to model them in to better gamers. My one fear is from what i have witness, i would just be raising a better class of power gamer to unleash on the world.

@Shatterclaw - Ahh, but the Jokero is for the connoisseur collector, not for the tyke.

I love these little side releases. Even though I won't be running a clawed fiend in a DE list (I think they were a little shoe-horned in there), I will certainly be buying one. Same for the Jokero.

Nubl0
09-03-2011, 17:48
Are those little rods supossed to be the teleporter PAGKS? They should have used the design from dawn of war 2 if so.

Damocles8
09-03-2011, 17:49
don't like the idea of paying $33 American for 5 PAGK......

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 17:49
Nubl0:
Yes, the Tau are cohesive, and the Dreadknight is certainly a bit obtuse, but for me not in a bad way...but your complaint about anime versus a Gothic quality to GW stuff seems to contradict accepting the Tau, but hating the DK...not to start a spat or anything--I totally respect your opinions, sir...
Anyway, I think that the model presents a figure that can have heaps of cool bits added to it to make for a very personalized and unique model...(think purity seals, shields, banners, trophies, and other badges of high honor) that can either promote the Gothic impression the overall game and its models present, or go another direction entirely...
Cheers to the design team at GW...seriously!
@ StarFyre: would love to see some of your freehand painting...I'm horrid at it, so I always appreciate the hardwork and creativity of others.

Voss
09-03-2011, 17:50
don't like the idea of paying $33 American for 5 PAGK......

Odd. I had simply assumed from the time it was announced that they would be packaged and priced like the death company box.

andyg2006
09-03-2011, 17:51
@ Nubl0 - the Dreadknight has definitely got a Megas XLR feel to it. Might try a Chaos version of this and model it as Megas Sonic Abominator (robotic Elvis with 4 arms and pistol and a "sonic bazooka")...Emperor's Children Chapter, naturally - lol.

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 17:51
Anyone else spot Crowe? Follow the green arrow:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/jimbo1701/crowe-1.jpg

Oh, good eye! I love that cape...are you sure that isn't a bit from the PAGK sprue?

Sephiroth
09-03-2011, 17:54
Oh, good eye! I love that cape...are you sure that isn't a bit from the PAGK sprue?

It's Crowe. Been confirmed.

Kalishnikov-47
09-03-2011, 17:57
Yep - two boxes gives you a MSU Purgation squad with four psycannons and a MSU Purifier squad with two incinerators, both of which are perfectly valid configurations. Still not the greatest value on earth, but it does ease the sting of the price a bit.

Terminators only seem to come with one of each, though. Then again, they still have metal psycannon arms in the store, so no big deal.

It will not be as bad ordering from an indy store online. I have one in the States that does 25% no matter what. Sure I will not get them on release day, but I will only be paying $24.75 USD for each box which is as much as an Assault Squad USED to be. So I figured if I get a Rhino from the Warstore for $16 USD and a box of Grey Knights for $24.75 USD with no tax I think I made out alright.

That totals for $40.75 USD per unit which is manageable, and includes the 5 man squad with their transport. Though I will cave in for some Terminators and Dreadknights. Oh I am so broke.

Earthbeard
The Jokaero is real. Damn you naysayers.

The Old Scholar
It's Crowe. Been confirmed.

Cool, I can't wait...

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 17:58
Old - i'm not very good at it...well, not as good as you see at the french golden demons, etc of course BUt here are some of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270717559773&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

the banner, hard to see, but it's a thin road on the edge of a cliff, by a mountain side, and a path to a dark castle in the abckground, with an eye in the eye watching.
Inspiration from the scenes in Bram Stoker's Dracula film.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/74915

glowing runic marks on the wings

http://www.coolminiornot.com/181750
http://www.coolminiornot.com/197233

the runes on the sword, the faces on the base, the "jadzia dax" marks on the shoulders. I screwed up the nude woman on the legs, but i'm much better now. The 2nd version, is after i fixed it up (a day before GD) and i won a silver daemon with it :)

So, as good as I'd like but I plan to spend more time now and i've gotten better since then :)

I can actually draw fairly well (freehand, pencil) but my hand shakes a lot so i have issues painting on banners, etc.

Kalish - yes, i also buy from a store in USA..cheaper prices than Canada (since our dollar is fairly strong right now) and 25% off the GW price.... the guys at my local GW are very nice, etc but i can't afford the extra 150 or so i would spend. I don't know why more people don't buy online/ebay stores....

I plan to get:
Codex 1
Grey Knights boxes 4
Terminators boxes 5
Lord Draigo 1
Dreadknight 2
Stern 1
Vindicare 1

BUt then from forgeworld:

the dread, landraider upgrade kit (redeemer), brass icons, land raider doors, pilot, doors to use on the storm raven, etc.

So gotta save wherever I can...

Sanjay

Spectral Dragon
09-03-2011, 17:58
Love everything I am seeing. A bit pricey but then again this is an army that will more than likely be outnumbered.

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 18:02
@StarFyre: Wow, you're far more skilled than I am...
Yeah, I saw exactly what you were doing with the banner.
Your demons are great.
I don't think you'll have a problem with doing some exciting things for the Grey Knights.

Paedan
09-03-2011, 18:03
Ok, even though this might make a ton of people ridicule me.... personally I was eager to buy one or two Nemesis Dreadknights.... until I saw what they actually looked like. One look at the photo turned me around 180 degrees instantly. For me, the aesthetics of the army is very important, so the DK and Stormravens are a no go for my new GK army. However, if I really needed to field a DK, I guess it wouldn't be too bad... if you look at the third picture at the link here, you can give it a GK Terminator Helm.

On another note, I'm very disappointed in the stats of the shooting weapons available to the DK.

One more thing. Even though those Troops boxes are quite expensive for only 5 plastic models, we have to remember that there are many optional bits and pieces in there as well. Also, we don't need that many models for say 2000 points. I will probably need 5 boxes of GK Terminators (one box being Paladins), a Space Marine Terminator Librarian, Lord Kaldor Draigo with his helmet on as himself or a Grand Master, and a Land Raider Crusader. And the Codex of course, say no to piracy and IP infringement! That adds up to 220.60 Pounds, not including shipping or any discounts. That's certainly cheaper than my Tyranids or Eldar army collections.

I know, many people will say I'm nuts, but I think that is around the normal amount you'd spend on a 2000 points army/collection. Just my 2 cents.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 18:07
I'm thinking, might be able to make some extra cash by figuring good GK librarian conversions for sale on ebay :P

I already do commissions so hey, why not :)

Sanjay

The Old Scholar
09-03-2011, 18:12
I'm thinking, might be able to make some extra cash by figuring good GK librarian conversions for sale on ebay :P

I already do commissions so hey, why not :)

Sanjay

I was looking at the bits on the Terminator sprues and it looks like we can make a decent Librarian from the kit...unless it will turn out looking too much like the Paladin unit leader...
I'm a little sad that they didn't offer a new sculpt of a Grey Knight Librarian in metal...but the way the old one is painted it works well enough.

kamedake88
09-03-2011, 18:25
Great so the Grey Knights are also a Chapter of a thousand warriors as opposed to older fluff. Thank you Gerv.... Guilliman for your daft as ever endless reach. I might as well paint mine blue.

Whitetip
09-03-2011, 18:26
I don't think Games Workshop have done themselves any favours by putting the Dreadknight in the most boring poses possible. I like all the new releases a lot and think more people will be won over after seeing it in the flesh...

grundz
09-03-2011, 18:27
It appears you can make more grey knights than anticipated

from first glance:
PAGK:
Legs 5
shoulderpads 12
Torso 5
Backpack 5
Porter Backpack 5
Helmets 5

Wristless arms: 12
Sidehandle arms 4

shortswords 6
1h greatsword 1
2h greatsword 3
Head Greatsword 1
Stave 1
Daemonhammer 1
Halbard 3
stormbolter arms 8
stormbolter mag 5

the GK termies come with 1 extra set of shoulders as well.

so if you use the extra termie shoulders on a judicar, you have 2 extra sets of PAGK shoulders and 2 extra special weapons. Trim down the extra backpacks and use standard space marine bodies (since they will be covered by giant gun anyway) and you have 2 more grey knights minus the heads which can possibly be sourced from the terminator sprue (i'm thinking the helmet-less ones)

so as long as you have a few space marines kicking around you get roughly 2 extra bodies for each terminator+pagk box you pick up

Rabid Bunny 666
09-03-2011, 18:27

I think its because it breaks from the established aesthetics of the Space Marines too much, most Space Marine tech is blocky, angular and heavy looking, this one looks too rounded for Imperial tech. Also, the background suggests it might be alien tech that further detracts from the Grey Knight's puritan nature.

The releases do look nice, i'm seriously considering a small Power Armoured force backed up by cannon fodder. The PAGK are nice,the teleport backpacks look a little dodgy but I was thinking of converting a small reactor onto their backpacks for mine. The fencing arms look a bit off too, but its Halberds all the way for my guys. The Terminators look nice, but a bit off. I think its the large helmets that are the problem. I'm glad to see that most options are represented in the kit, I thought it would be like the Chaos Termies where you get 1-2 of each weapon and are told to deal with it.

edit: Using the Emperor's Champion as a GK Champion is cool, I've got the limited edition one lying around waiting for a reason to get painted.

BobtheInquisitor
09-03-2011, 18:29
It will not be as bad ordering from an indy store online. I have one in the States that does 25% no matter what.

Which one is that? The War Store only gives 20% off...

Lexington
09-03-2011, 18:31
Really want to like the PA Knights more, but that hideous, boxy Storm Bolter just ruins all the other good parts. This whole wrist-mounted ranged weapon style is terrible.

StarFyreXXX
09-03-2011, 18:32
Bob - if Kalish isn't able, i can message you with the store I use...i can't check Gmail from work :(

Sanjay

MikeRC97
09-03-2011, 18:38
Regarding the storm bolters - I can see the seperate magazines (clips, whatever) in the sprue for the GKSS but on the termie sprue it looks like they are attached. For the GKSS SBs I think I'll cut the end of the clip from a regular bolter and glue it to cover the hole on the side so it looks like the magazine slides in to the SB like a clip from a old rifle like the WWII M1 Garand.

Aside from the storm bolters (which can be fixed easily - thanks to the magic of plastic) and the hopeless NDK that looks like a termie in a baby bjorn I'm happy with the army.

majian
09-03-2011, 18:44
25% and free shipping 75$ or more, great place, puts less of a sting in the wallet with all these great looking new releases.

Azazyll
09-03-2011, 19:02
I have to say, the dreadknight of titan is at least encouraging for the possibility that we may one day see the dreaded knight titans (sorry, I couldn't resist).

I would own an army of this just to field the jokaero. Looking forward to the little buggers.

I was very surprised to see how much of the witch hunter's dex was stolen by GK. Take a look at the elites section on the website - arco flagellants, among other things, and no reference to storm troopers at all.

Overall, I think I'll miss mixing in a squad of GK with other armies. the fluff makes this sound even more logical now than it was before. And having an inquisitor around makes sense in any imperial army. Mix and match days are sadly gone however. I remember in second edition when I used to take a mixed marine and eldar list using the allies rules.

Mott
09-03-2011, 19:03
MY PERSONAL GOAL

Buy the Dreadknight kit and make it look COOL.

As in convert the hell out of it cause that kit is a mess. But also a mess of potential.

When i heard knight back when rumors flew around I thought they were bringing the old Imperial Knights back and just scaling em way down to uber dreadnought size instead of small titan size. Instead we get a terminator in an exo suit. wtf is this garbage.

The blurry pics that were leaked were more pleasing to the eye then the final model.

Ragnar_Blackmane
09-03-2011, 19:10
On another note, I'm very disappointed in the stats of the shooting weapons available to the DK.

Not entirely sure about that. Yeah, the Gattling Psylencer is crap (35 pts.? you can get 6 Storm Bolters (same amount of shots) for Wolf Guard for 18 pts.) and the Heavy Psycannon isn't much better either (who needs an expensive AP4 template which doesn't even ignore cover o.O?) but the Heavy Incinerator seems to be a must have. lousy 35 pts. for a gun which is often worth the 130 pts. you pay for them being mounted on a Hellhound? It is probably the best anti-horde flamer in existence which easily compensates for the weakness MCs normally have against hordes. Considering the firing distance and the way you place the template together with S6 AP4 you should be able to easily kill 10+ boyz a shot.

kaimarion
09-03-2011, 19:17
Ok I've only read up to page 7 and it looks like no one has noticed the PLAGUE BEARERS head on the PAGKs base?

Kalishnikov-47
09-03-2011, 19:19
Which one is that? The War Store only gives 20% off...

There is the Miniatures Market and I can personally vouch for them. They do free shipping on orders over $75 and are National only at the moment. Also they always do 25% GW merchandise no matter what. I ordered my Dark Eldar from them and received them promptly.

EDIT- There is also Dice Bucket, but they do not always do 25% on everything all the time there are select things they do 35%, but they always charge $6 for shipping.

Cheers

Mr_Rose
09-03-2011, 19:20
Ok I've only read up to page 7 and it looks like no one has noticed the PLAGUE BEARERS head on the PAGKs base?
There's also a terminator justicar holding the severed head of a bloodletter and probably a few other daemonic bits lying around the kits.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
09-03-2011, 19:22

Oh, it's been noticed. And it's awesome. I have plenty of things I don't care for with this release, but the new plastic PAGK are not among them. I'll be getting at least one box to redo my Justicars and upgrade my special weapons.

ThatDude
09-03-2011, 19:23
There's also a terminator justicar holding the severed head of a bloodletter and probably a few other daemonic bits lying around the kits.

There's a Power Armored Grey Knight holding a Daemonette head as well. I'm glad for all of these bits as I've been thinking of doing similar conversions for years and now I don't have to. I also like the fact that the little heraldry crests on the shoulderpads now have designs on them. no more freehanding or decals!

x-esiv-4c
09-03-2011, 19:24
"no more freehanding or decals!". That's a big downer for me.

Kalishnikov-47
09-03-2011, 19:29
I know we have been getting on GW on not having all the options for their units, but damn. These kits have it all. In the Terminator kit I counted 5 sets of Falchions, 5 sets of Halberds, and 5 sets of Swords.

It also comes with a Psycannon, an Incinerator, Psilencer. The Warding Stave and Hammer are there as well. All in all this release is at par or better than Dark Eldar in terms of how many options they gave us.

Bravo GW.

Gazak Blacktoof
09-03-2011, 19:37
I think these new releases capture the essence and style of the metal models faithfully in plastic. My problem with the knights has always been the clunky addition of the gun to the power and terminator armour, I was hoping for a redesign to make them a bit more sleek.

I may get one box to see if I can make them look more respectable, or alternatively make some GK type heads to chuck on standard marines. The visored helms and gorgets are by far the best design features of this line of models.

kaimarion
09-03-2011, 19:41

The bloodletter one looks very kick-ass, anyway my point is that it's not the head off of one of the metal PB's it could indicate what the new PB's may look like.

Doppleskanger
09-03-2011, 19:45
The reason the dreadknight doesn't echo previous Imperial styles is probably quite fluff based. Normal Imperial stuff that we know is all STC based, and that is the common thread that we recognise as Imperial. Dreadknights are surely not STC's but artificer designed in some super special forge on Titan. How many of them are in existence in total? 5? 10? 20? couldn't be more than that. Mind you, i bet the amount of time you see them on the table top from now on it will feel like there's a lot more than that!

Shamutanti
09-03-2011, 19:45
To be honest, for me, the terminator and power armoured squads are a touch of a let down. I think they have hints of coolness, but nothing that makes me go 'wow'. I do like the command squad style of the terminators though.

On the other hand, I freaking love the Dreadnight. It's just cool in my eyes. He's going to go head to head with a Greater Daemon in that bad boy and I can picture every second of it. Love it.

baphomael
09-03-2011, 19:47
Feeling exposed while wearing Terminator Armour?!? get a grip!

Models look ace tbh, cant wait to get to grips with the kits to see what i can come up with. Interested into what size base the dreadknight is on. It looks bigger than 60mm to me.

Same base as trygon, valkyrie and stormraven