PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on Bandwagons

Rosstifer
10-03-2011, 07:44
Just wondering, recently heard a guy at the LGS complaining about new Orc's and Goblins players, how he'd been playing them since 6th and that these guy's where just "jumping on the bandwagon". Why do people have this attitude? Surely more player support is a good thing? And why should people who have played an army for a while have any more right to play an army than new players?

tarkin1980
10-03-2011, 08:15
Well, folks who have only played since 6th edition are not real warhammer players anyway. Don't listen to him. :rolleyes:

Rosstifer
10-03-2011, 08:22
It's not him specifically. I've just noticed a lot of behavior similar to this. I mean, if an army gets released with awesome models, people are going to buy them. And you can hardly blame them.

Ultimate Life Form
10-03-2011, 08:30
After some time, people start identifying with their army and feel they have the 'right' to play it because they always did and consider themselves authorities. Now all of a sudden a bunch of lil kiddies storms the LGS and bereave the shelves of all things Orc. Now the old, well-seasoned player rightfully fears that this will only be a phase, that the new players will lose interest in a couple of weeks, and that the Orcs will end up on ebay, or worse, in the trash bin, which pains him as he loves the army. It's a mixture of a 'don't get on my lawn'/'don't steal my daughter's honor' attitude.

sknich
10-03-2011, 08:42
It also stinks to have played an army forever, and as soon as it becomes the 'flavor of the week' then have people complain that your army is too popular in their group! But people just need to get over it and just have fun.

and lol @6th edition 'authority'

Tarax
10-03-2011, 08:55
I agree on the 'flavour of the week'-thing.
What bugs me most is people who start this new army because at that time it's the best. They will never at any other time play that army, and as soon as another (better) army comes along, they will leave.
A true gamer will pick his army based on anything else than winnability.

Killgore
10-03-2011, 09:01
Just wondering, recently heard a guy at the LGS complaining about new Orc's and Goblins players, how he'd been playing them since 6th and that these guy's where just "jumping on the bandwagon". Why do people have this attitude? Surely more player support is a good thing? And why should people who have played an army for a while have any more right to play an army than new players?

Its pathetic

Without people buying the latest releases GW would go bust

I bet this person is the type of 'old gamer' who just buys the new army book, maybe a new unit or two and then doesnt touch the rest of the new models because his older ones 'are better'.

Squigkikka
10-03-2011, 09:08
I dislike people who buy a new army just because it's the most powerful one, but I have no problem with people buying an army because it releases cool stuff (or simply because they like it). I'm an OnG player, and it's only nice to see more of our kind!

It's not like the new Greenskins are unbalanced or everything. They got better, but are still far from crazy. Who cares if more people take 'em?

Morkash
10-03-2011, 09:12
ULF's words are very wise, listen to the pinnacle of evolution.
Killgore's point is also a good 'un, because many veterans (can you call a 6th edition guy like that?) love their old models and are too stubborn to replace any of them.
Quite certainly, he is one of those guys who disliked seeing many new Greenskin players after BfSP, and now many who start a spider/savage army or whatever.
He thinks that his army looses his "uniqueness", which it has in his point of view.
People like him do not understand, why other people "dare" to play the same army he does since AGES (...10 years max.?).

Long story short:

Its pathetic

rb.uhs
10-03-2011, 09:23
I'm going to defend the dark side.

I'll admit I get riled up whenever I see hordes of people massing to get the new army, whether or not they actually have much of an interest in them or not. What I do feel is that they are doing it just to be cool/to fit in/because so-and-so told them to (Cue discussion on Emo culture, Dragonforce, Jackass etc.). Personally, I don't feel I have more of a right than another gamer to collect an army; to think so is just silly

Am I right to feel this way? Most likely not. Why do I feel this way? I've developed, in this case, a more personal connection with my army than someone who has just chosen them because they are the new thing. I chose the army due to being drawn to a particular trait epitomised by them (absolute cruelty - Dark Elves) or maybe even drawn to them by something I have seen (Kingdom of Heaven I know is one of many movies that has drawn players to Bretonnians). I've experienced my share of trials and tribulations with them, both on the gaming table and at the end of a paintbrush. I've shed my blood for my little soldiers, though only at the end of a hobby knife.

And yes, I have jumped on bandwagons before, but sometimes it's a coincidence in timing.

Ultimate Life Form
10-03-2011, 09:30
Yup, I know this feeling as well (which is why I could describe it so well), and yet I'm currently in the process of 'jumping on the O&G bandwagon' - if you can say that after multiple years of secretly amassing greenskin models in the drawer. :shifty:

wizbix
10-03-2011, 09:39
'Fad' players are great as it means their models may be on ebay some time soon at a cheaper price ready for me to snap up! :)

Gekiganger
10-03-2011, 09:54
Just wondering, recently heard a guy at the LGS complaining about new Orc's and Goblins players, how he'd been playing them since 6th and that these guy's where just "jumping on the bandwagon".

6th? Golly gosh!

I hate people who throw around the bandwagon phrase, especially when they do it at first sight of someone fielding an army that is 'flavor of the month' (though it's always amused me that warhammer could be something you built an army for at the drop of the hat, most people are complaining about prices). It's tedious having snide remarks directed at you relating to wagons every time a new skaven book is released, despite the models in the army blatantly pointing out to anyone with any experience that the army has been going on far quite a long time.

16 year old collection being called a bandwagon army. In MY days skaven didn't have a shooting phase. :p

ftayl5
10-03-2011, 10:03
Because people who were only just born during 6th edition don't deserve to enjoy the hobby. :rolleyes:

Tokamak
10-03-2011, 10:10
It's great to play an army that is played by many people as it only means you're receiving more GW attention. What makes O&G even better is that they're not a powerhouse either so players can't be blamed for going with whatever is the strongest army. Its just pure love for the greenskins themselves.

Besides, it's pretty rich if that's coming from an O&G player. O&G have ALWAYS been one of the most common armies for as long as warhammer existed.

Play Fimir if you want to be sure you're precious and unique.

Wade Wilson
10-03-2011, 10:18
I just started greenskins with the new army book but had bought the 100 battalion a few months back so i could have the bare bones on an army ready when the new book came out. Do i feel like i jumped on a bandwagon? Hell no. Do i feel i only want to play the newest bestest army? Well, i already have a large Daemon army so no, no i dont. I just love the idea of Orcs and gobbos. Been playing fantasy and 40k for a good 14-15 years and never had the chance to start one for either game so im glad i finaly have the cash to start an army. When the DA faq came out a fair few vanilla marine players started deathwing terminator armies. Did this bother me? Hell no. People should enjoy trying out new armies and experiment a bit to find out what they like. im pretty damn sure in a few months there will be plenty of tomb king players crawling out from their crypts and i for one look forward to playing them! Personaly i hope Bretonnia gets an update soon. Would like to make a small army based on Monty Pythons Holy Grail some time soon....

Mirbeau
10-03-2011, 10:32
I just started greenskins with the new army book but had bought the 100 battalion a few months back so i could have the bare bones on an army ready when the new book came out. Do i feel like i jumped on a bandwagon? Hell no. Do i feel i only want to play the newest bestest army? Well, i already have a large Daemon army so no, no i dont. I just love the idea of Orcs and gobbos. Been playing fantasy and 40k for a good 14-15 years and never had the chance to start one for either game so im glad i finaly have the cash to start an army. When the DA faq came out a fair few vanilla marine players started deathwing terminator armies. Did this bother me? Hell no. People should enjoy trying out new armies and experiment a bit to find out what they like. im pretty damn sure in a few months there will be plenty of tomb king players crawling out from their crypts and i for one look forward to playing them! Personaly i hope Bretonnia gets an update soon. Would like to make a small army based on Monty Pythons Holy Grail some time soon....

Good on ya. I think your sig says all that needs to be said quite eloquently.

Memnos
10-03-2011, 11:18
6th edition? Pshaw. I've been playing since second edition. He's a young'un.*waits for someone to say they've been playing since it first came out.*

Ultimately, I think he misunderstands the 'Bandwagoning' concept. Nobody cares if a group of people play a well-balanced, well-written army. The problem lies with the 'Me, too!' group that see a new army that is not as well-balanced and well-written as the Orc and Goblin book and decide they will play that. And then sell those when the new army comes out.

rb.uhs
10-03-2011, 11:27
You think you've been playing a long time?! I've been playing since before the creators were a twinkle in their parent's eyes!

dragonet111
10-03-2011, 11:49
I like it when a player choose to start one of the army I play. I can discuss with him what we like compare our lists, .....
It's always a good thing.

Spiney Norman
10-03-2011, 12:55
I'm going to defend the dark side.

I'll admit I get riled up whenever I see hordes of people massing to get the new army, whether or not they actually have much of an interest in them or not. What I do feel is that they are doing it just to be cool/to fit in/because so-and-so told them to (Cue discussion on Emo culture, Dragonforce, Jackass etc.). Personally, I don't feel I have more of a right than another gamer to collect an army; to think so is just silly

Am I right to feel this way? Most likely not. Why do I feel this way? I've developed, in this case, a more personal connection with my army than someone who has just chosen them because they are the new thing. I chose the army due to being drawn to a particular trait epitomised by them (absolute cruelty - Dark Elves) or maybe even drawn to them by something I have seen (Kingdom of Heaven I know is one of many movies that has drawn players to Bretonnians). I've experienced my share of trials and tribulations with them, both on the gaming table and at the end of a paintbrush. I've shed my blood for my little soldiers, though only at the end of a hobby knife.

And yes, I have jumped on bandwagons before, but sometimes it's a coincidence in timing.

I think the point is theres never a better time to start an army than when its just been revamped for a new edition. I started O&G when the B4SP (followed swiftly by their new army book) came out because I was looking for a new army, Night Goblins were very different to all my other armies and it was a great way to get masses of model fairly cheaply.

This time around I've decided to add savage orcs to my existing goblin army.

I started dark eldar last nov because the new models were totally awesome and I was looking for a new army (and beastmen really didn't do it for me). If that makes me a bandwagon jumper then I'll just have to live with it.

No doubt, as someone who has played Tomb Kings since they existed as a separate army, I might feel like this in May if TK turn into the next example of power creep and new gamers flock to the undead banner

Col. Dash
10-03-2011, 13:03
I think some of it, especially with a previously not as popular army, an experienced player has a feeling of uniqueness and that goes away when a bunch of new players pick up the army. I can see it as I have been playing OnG since 98. I dont have a problem with it though, been playing this game long enough to see how the trend cycle works. I dont think the new army book is super kickass and when the next one comes out that is more powerful, the bandwagon tourists will jump on that one. Like someone else said, that means some either ebay deals or people in the store will want to trade. I got 4 BFSP goblin armies cheap that way lol. Think i am going to wait until the current "OMG Spiders!" trend fades before I continue work on that army though. NG for the win!

UberBeast
10-03-2011, 17:10
Sometimes people get to feel like they are unique when they play an unpopular army, and that makes them stand out. Those people are always annoyed when their army becomes popular, and the same is true of many things that aren't even warhamer related, like music, or a style of brand of clothing.

It's kind of sad to indentify yourself with being unpopular instead of standing out of the crowd on your own merit.

Spinocus
10-03-2011, 18:37
I picked up Skaven back in mid-2009, back when hideous monkeyrats still ruled the Underempire and before the new book bandwagon even hit the trail. Yes, I was a little miffed to see Skaven become a bandwagon army when their new army book hit the shelves later that same year but the new book and new models were filled with so much awesomesauce that I didn't care.

Sure, powergamers will stick around as long as Skaven remains in the top tier but regardless of whether Skaven maintains or drops in its power rating you can be certain the number of casual Skaven players will thin out over time. We have a long road ahead of us with 8th edition, plenty of army books to come. The new O&G book has already created a sensation, who knows what the rumored TK and OK books have in store for us? As with most trendy things the casual bandwagon crowd always runs out the door when the next popular thing comes along, leaving the true aficionados with their pet indulgence.

And think of it this way, people who give bandwagon armies a try and wind up enjoying the gameplay/hobby will probably pick up another not-so-bandwagon army out of the desire to try something different. More players + more armies = Charlie Ninja Vatican Assassin Warlock Sheen Win for everyone. Ultimately more playing Warhammer is good for our community.

pointyteeth
10-03-2011, 18:50
I think its more a feeling of ownership than anything. On member of my club has been playing Greenskins since 4th edition and doesn't like the potential of people flocking to the army that he's played just because they got a new book. He's played "through the hard times of 7th" and doesn't want people assuming he's just another guy who's hopped onto the newest army. He's a hardcore orc player; so much so that our gaming club is named "The Greenskin Nation".

brightblade
10-03-2011, 20:28
I guess because everybody likes to feel that their army is special and when more players turn up they stand out less.

I have just started an orc and gobbos army, jumping on the bandwagon because the big spider is just gorgeous. I am building the army on comedy lines, wanting as much random stupidity as possible and am looking forward to having daft fun after years of wood elf seriousness....

;)

Nubl0
10-03-2011, 20:39
I just jumped on the beastmen bandwagon today! Don't you all just hate me!? I don't think anyone really does the whole "bandwagon" thing in my store, there are alot of chaos warrior armies. However people seem to get what they think is cool. A good example would be today, the manager was a little upset because everyone after seeing the GK preview said that they had no interest and the DK looked stupid. Well except the little kiddies anyway.

White_13oy
10-03-2011, 21:02
I'm not a fan of the bandwagon thing either, I've always been in the mind set of playing what you enjoy not to play only what wins. Yes, i've never really cared if someone played something op'd if i knew they liked them for any other reason (Models, Fluff) besides the fact that it's borked. It's the same reason I got tired of 40k, 80% of armies were space marines and when the newest book came out, you'd see green space wolves or blue blood angels, It just gets boring playing the same army over and over again, especially when you can guess with about 70% accuracy what units you're gonna see from them.

I admit I do feel annoyed when i see people play an army I have for a long time just because it's new. because you stuck it with them through the bad and the good, now if they play them because they have an actual interest besides "shiny" or "borked" then all the more power to them. I'm hoping TK's don't get too popular because around here we have a nice mixture, and I feel special being as far as I know, now the only player to play them (last person never actually played them, just painted some, but he was a good and nice guy).

Now when it come to tournaments, my logic go out the window.

Feorag
10-03-2011, 21:17
I just jumped on the beastmen bandwagon today! Don't you all just hate me!? I don't think anyone really does the whole "bandwagon" thing in my store, there are alot of chaos warrior armies. However people seem to get what they think is cool. A good example would be today, the manager was a little upset because everyone after seeing the GK preview said that they had no interest and the DK looked stupid. Well except the little kiddies anyway.

Sick of people like you jumping on our beastmen bandwagon remove yourself now! Just because our Rares are to die for and brilliantly underpriced doesn't mean you should play them!

on another note join the most awesome forum ever! Herdstone (http://z2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/index.php?act=idx)

GodlessM
10-03-2011, 22:18
The reason most people react badly to bandwagon jumpers is due to the 7th edition power creep; back then every time an army book came out and was super strong everybody started playing, and mostly for that sole reason. With only Beastmen and OnG since then people haven't had time to adjust that now these books aren't overpowered and people just like the new shiny toys.

All this aside however, this is exactly why I started small warbands of most armies ages ago, so that I could be accused of such things :D

Nubl0
10-03-2011, 22:21
Shall do! In all honestly I didn't find the new orc releases to be that great, the spider is pretty cool but a tad to large for what it really is. I have only really ever liked Blorcs but they seem pretty standard for a special choice imo. Plus when a person starts a new army I'm all for it, I love a variety of armies to play against, even if they are the same army they will probabley have different lists. To me thats the beauty of warhammer, every game can be so different just by tweaking a list or rolling a scenario.

I myself am constantly getting new armies and half finishing them, right now I spread my time between 4 armies. I can already tell my doombull is going to be a monster, during assembly he smashed my lamp when one of those stupid tags of metal pinged off when I cut it... it's an omen I tell you. He hungers, hungers for other toy soldiers to crush!

Imrik-Dragonlord
10-03-2011, 22:23
I agree with everyone saying that it is a feeling of ownership towards a particular army. It's natural in that case to feel threatened when a whole mess of new people start 'courting' your gal.

Cheers
For Caledor

Haravikk
10-03-2011, 22:31
It also stinks to have played an army forever, and as soon as it becomes the 'flavor of the week' then have people complain that your army is too popular in their group!
This is the attitude that annoys me more than the bandwagon one specifically. I mean, when Island of Blood came out I suppose I was one of those people that "jumped on the bandwagon" and became a Skaven player, but only because I'd always enjoyed the way Skaven played and wanted to start an army of my own, and Island of Blood gave me the perfect opportunity to do so. People that have played Skaven for years might think that I was just getting the latest army like everyone else, ignoring the fact I may have wanted to start Skaven for years but never got round to it, and already knew the fluff etc. and played games against other players who did have the army.

As usual I guess it's more just people making assumptions, in fact I doubt very much that there are many people who actually start an army just because it's the newest; they'll have seen the army in action, know the fluff, or have always wanted one, and the update is the push they need to get going.

I mean, how many people can actually afford to play with flavour of the month armies? Starting an army is a big investment of time and money, especially if you want it built and painted to good standard, get it just the way you want etc.

Private_SeeD
10-03-2011, 22:42
I have to admit, when I was young I was one of the mentioned band wagon jumper. But now I'm in my mid Twenties, I have grown out of it. I still will pick up the odd model and the army book if I really like the army and make fictional lists up in my spare time. But the new release of OnG haven't done it for me at all, probably to do that I've never been a fan of that race in either 40k or Fantasy. But again GW is there to make profit and all that so its banking on all the newbie's to shell out on all the new stuff. I was in my LGW and the manager there was showing the new GK's off and he took over a dozen pre-order's as fast as these kids could ring there parents and ask for the money...
Saying that there was one or two kids I wanted to beat to death with a Storm Raven, but thats another story

spetswalshe
10-03-2011, 22:51
It's a natural reaction to wanting to be cool and obscure. Everyone wails when their favourite band gets popular; ironically very few of those 'hardcore fans' are still listening when the band slips into obscurity once again.

Well, folks who have only played since 6th edition are not real warhammer players anyway. Don't listen to him. :rolleyes:

That's exactly what the OP should have said.

"I remember when all this was Realms of Chaos!"

Korraz
10-03-2011, 23:02
I like to ramble a lot about Ye Olden Days. Given I started in 6th, it should be obvious that I'm just making fun of it.

Power Bandwagon Jumpers at best annoy me, but I have better things to do than to be angry at some guy that blows his money for nothing. I know that they will pass on. Currently, you see lots of Blood Angels in the store. But that will pass once Grey Knights hit. And I stopped visiting the store anyway, so the problem of the kiddies (in mind, that is) kind of disappeared.

Personally, I now and then take the announcement of the renewal of an army I always liked.

Dutch_Digger
10-03-2011, 23:20
longbeards complain about new guys and new guys complain about even newer guys, heck a dog starts to bark when the mailman touches the mailbox, it's just natural that some people feel threatened for silly whatnot reasons

i agree that people might fear that their own army might not stand out as much as before because now others join in on their little banwagon, But natural as it may be, it's immature. play your game, others may join in, why not be glad? And If you want to stand out? Now is the time to prove yourself and show your paint, conversionand/or gaming skills.

Forsak3n
11-03-2011, 00:01
greenskins always fight other greenskins....and there is enough variety that no 2 armies should be the same.

ExquisiteMonkey
11-03-2011, 00:04
I'm going to be a bandwagon jumper in May when TK's are launched, but my wagon is going to be pulled by the desire to play an army which looks, plays and feels completely different to DE, rather than a desire to maximize my power potential.

Did I (in the future) do bad?

Bubble Ghost
11-03-2011, 01:47
I picked up Dark Elves during 6th edition before the update. I win more martyr vs. bandwagon points than all of you! All of you, you hear?:D

IVEATCH
11-03-2011, 02:11
.... and mightly glad one should be, to even have a Orc and Goblin bandwagon to leap apon.

I understand how some folks (who have played since 0 Edition) might feel an ownership of a 40K/Fantasy army or even a playstyle. But new players are the lifeblood of supporting this game system and all of it's kit. small price to pay, actually.

AMWOOD co
11-03-2011, 05:37
I currently play 3 armies. The first, my beloved greenskins, bought in the form of the 4th edition starter (you know, the one with the cardboard picture of a rock lobber... grumble grumble). Second, my Chaos Warriors, the first model being the guy that game in my painting set who now is a Chaos Lord (he's big enough). I got them for the powergamer in me (there's how many 10's in a Bloodthirsters stats in 4th?) Finally, my High Elves, bought when the 7th edition version was released.

Yes, I jumped on the HE bandwagon, but to be fair I had been getting trounced by the pointy eared freaks for long enough. My brother never lost a game through 4th or 5th once we knew the rules. 40 archers and the old Repeater Bolt thrower can do that to goblins.

When the 7th edition book came out, I decided to get my own and show everyone else what these guys can do in the hands of someone as deviously minded as myself. Unfortunately, I'm running out of new tricks on my budget. There's only so much you can do before you must repeat yourself.

Bah, it's all in good fun, though.

TheYoungin
11-03-2011, 05:48
Noobs are bad. No matter who they are where they came from or what their doing.

Stronginthearm
11-03-2011, 06:58
Its yet another form of elitism, the same thing as DnD players talking about 2nd edition(actually have a few of those rulebooks) we like to feel superior, individual and not like everyone else, playing an army nobody else does is a proclamation of existance and when others play it the universe is telling you that your existance is immaterial and will pass into the past with hardly a disruption, that you have no value in and of yourself and there are ten thousand more like you waiting to appear

Or we just hate those kids on our lawn

AMWOOD co
11-03-2011, 07:05

I find them good for 2 things... well, 3 if you include the satisfaction of delivering a solid trouncing.

1. A new player will eventually become a veteran player. New blood becomes old blood and you now have a new challenge.

2. A fresh perspective. People who have just come into the game don't have all of our preconceptions about how the rules work. I never realised just how potent the charging changes were until some new guy mentioned it on these forums.

Wade Wilson
11-03-2011, 09:57
I have just started an orc and gobbos army, jumping on the bandwagon because the big spider is just gorgeous. I am builing the army on comedy lines, wanting as much random stupidity as possible and am looking forward to having daft fun after years of wood elf seriousness....

I think thats a great way of looking at it! My other armies are (40k) Dark Angels and Tyranids and Daemons of Choas in fantasy. I looked at starting Skaven, Lizardmen, Warriors of Choas and Dark Elves as i had a fair few models for each of them. But an urge to play an army that is both ferocious and silly at the same time was too strong so orcs it was!

Ergo my Orc and Gobbo warband will be based on Monty Pyhon and the Holy Grail mixed with Harry Potter. (beware the might of Voldemork my Level 4 Shaman and Mork Eye Moody, his trusty Level 2 Goblin shaaman protected by the 'not so brave Sur Gobin' night goblin big boss :p )

orkmiester
11-03-2011, 11:25
its just that some people like to be 'in vouge' as it were, i have no problem with them, as someone mentioned you cannot pass up an opportunity to trounce someone- since some noobs do like to cause problems with the rules etc. I just say modestly ok i'll give you a game, and just get on with it, its the bragging that 'i've got this an that' that does my head in.

i seem to remember quite a few years ago now, playing a 2k game with my ultramarines army that had quite a few tanks in it, the lad and his mates went 'wow' at the number of tanks, i beat him to say the least :eyebrows: that was a long time before i went to my gaming club which seriously enlightned me :angel:

anyway i started O&G in 7th because i play 40k orks and they seemed familiar, i started chaos warriors however because i like chaos in some ways.

my dark eldar got revamped after the new book, only because i had got rid of my old ones after the dex went downhill.

apart from that some do get on your nerves, but thats life, give them a game and test their 'new' army i couldn't resist it, it would put some of the cocky ones in their place :evilgrin:

Briohmar
11-03-2011, 16:58
6th edition? Pshaw. I've been playing since second edition. He's a young'un.*waits for someone to say they've been playing since it first came out.*

Ultimately, I think he misunderstands the 'Bandwagoning' concept. Nobody cares if a group of people play a well-balanced, well-written army. The problem lies with the 'Me, too!' group that see a new army that is not as well-balanced and well-written as the Orc and Goblin book and decide they will play that. And then sell those when the new army comes out.

I'll say it, youngster. I've actually been playing since Ral Partha Imports started Chaos Wars (RPI was how Citadel models were sold at that time.) and Chaos wars was the precursor game.

At any rate, band wagonning, though at times annoying, is how our hobby survives. If GW didn't sell a huge amount of new models with each release, they wouldn't release anything new, fold up and die. Then we'd all be stagnant. For those worried, don't be. Green will only be the flavor of the month. I know, I still use my 4th ed gobbos and orcs, plus Battle Masters 'ard grots. (These are still my most favorite models even though cookie cutter, as the gobbos of the day had a lot of character.)

Sinnertje
11-03-2011, 17:04
I got into the game at 7th ed. Got the starter set BfSP, started orcs n goblins then abandoned them at 1500 points... Would I be jumping on the bandwagon if I'd start em up again because of the new armybook? =p

wizbix
11-03-2011, 17:35

Wth only 111 posts your still a noob yourself! ;)

Nkari
11-03-2011, 21:39
Pfft... 6th edition.. ... :P

Ronin_eX
12-03-2011, 04:36
Ah the time tested art of hating people for liking what you like because you were their first. You see it a lot in 40k and WFB due to the way the codex cycle goes. People hop on when their codex is released and the players who have played them for at least one cycle previously and have become authorities of the army now have the right to berate them for not starting the army they like earlier. Roll on to the next cycle repeat and the new guy who is now a seasoned vet can get his own hate on the bandwagon jumpers.

I think part of it is back before the internet people in gaming groups tried to all play different forces to avoid odd match-ups between the exact same faction. So you would have the Ork-guy, Eldar-guy, Elf-guy, Dwarf-guy, Zoat-guy, etc. and such. So when a new guy came along and decided to choose a force if he selected one that was already picked some of the grumpier *-guys may have felt his toes were being stepped on.

Now with the internet those same *-guys get to spread the hate to more than just their own gaming group because now they have a greater realization of just how not unique they are so they feel like having to wave their e-peen everywhere to make sure they are the alpha-elf who has played their army for longer than god and discovered it just after the first army book was forged in the heart of a newly forming proto-star fresh from the big bang.

You also see these people a lot in counts-as threads where someone has an interesting idea but the purists can't wait to tell them they're doing it wrong. Luckily the two-way anonymity of the internet means its easy to ignore people who have decided to treat a game about plastic army men like a religion and just have fun.

logan054
12-03-2011, 13:03
Sometimes people get to feel like they are unique when they play an unpopular army, and that makes them stand out. Those people are always annoyed when their army becomes popular

I wouldn't say that was the case, I used what I considered to me a more unique take on the HoC lists (lots of chaos warriors, few characters) because it made me a better player. I only get annoyed when people make comments about my army being broken or a cookie cutter lists because the new edition has made the models I like pretty damn nasty in game terms.

Ender Shadowkin
13-03-2011, 01:31
I just think this thread should be called jumping on the pump wagon ;-)....

I always get intrigued by the new releases, but mainly by the art and miniatures. .. iv been dream listing a savage Orc horde led by a night goblin wizard riding an arachnorok supported by tat'ed out giants. ahhh the glorious slaughter....

Cragum
13-03-2011, 13:35
This kind of thing always makes me laugh as its just something that reminds me of the old farts from the muppets. I love when people start using the same army as me, albeit thats starting to be not many left. But none the less i love it because i have someone i usually can team up with instead of lending out models, i can chat to them about what ever there is to talk about in the army book. Also the best bit about it is when they get bored of that army and you havent... you get to buy the models off them for cheap as they are your mate and you can just casually mention that you can do with some models...

drear
13-03-2011, 13:58
i only vcomplain about the bandwagon when i see a trend in peoples armies and spending habbits.

so a kid at my store plays blood angels, then unpainted and unfinished he stops and buys a dark eldar army, never paints it and now orc and goblins are out...we're waiting for him to start this. this is jumpin on the bandwagon
however

there was a guard player in the store, never played fantasy before and because of watching sombody play with goblins (me) instantly bought the last skull pass box in the shop and an army book. this is sombody just purley excited and happy about a new product, with a inished 40k army and some money for a new army.

myself i played high elves because the new starter box was a steal financially , and i full painted them up and finished them. before this i finished 3k points of ogres, all painted and based and played for a while.
ive spent 5-6 months playing space marines, and wanted a new army, saw the new book and was hooked (:

kramplarv
13-03-2011, 14:02
I picked up Dark Elves during 6th edition before the update. I win more martyr vs. bandwagon points than all of you! All of you, you hear?:D

hail to the king baby, hail to the king...:)

Turtleking
13-03-2011, 18:24
I don't get it.

Orc and Goblin players from 1st edition forward, do you want a Mangler Squig model? Or a second wave?

If you do, why not welcome the new players to your army? Boosted sales mean you get better figs and more support to your army. Comrades in arms.

I've been walking a lot longer then most people have been alive. How DARE they walk around me? Serious, without bandwagon jumping we would not have the great minis we have now.

hacknslashgamer
13-03-2011, 21:20
Wow I started 40K when Sqauts were an Army choice I am too old to be considered having jumped on anybodys bandwagon but this is a funny topic.

BEEGfrog
14-03-2011, 01:14
Its yet another form of elitism, the same thing as DnD players talking about 2nd edition

My memory seems to be going (probably effects of concussion from leaping on and off fast moving band wagons) but I don't remember 2nd edition D&D...

- Separate D&D books using "Chainmail" for combat (can't remember their names the senility is spreading)
- AD&D
- Basic D&D
- 2nd edition AD&D

... but no memory of a 2nd edition D&D

Jimmy Invictus
14-03-2011, 04:27
BEEGFrog, I think one of them was "Eldritch Wizardry" and that one sticks 'cause it had a naked chick on the cover.;)

I picked up WH40K:Rogue Trader when it was released and was blown away, even when the pages fell out less than a week later. I didn't make the jump to Fantasy until the early mid 90s, choosing Skaven because noone else was playing them. Back then the Skaven had jezzails, PWGs, and WFT. Oh, and a really goofy looking Doomwheel. I won't even talk about the Screaming Bell; it was worse than the DW. And now the rats have erupted on the scene, are being lauded as the "best army in eighth," and everyone and their mother seems to be starting a Skaven army.

I couldn't be happier. As said earlier in the thread, sales drive development, brings new blood into the hobby, and allows GW to develop other armies that desperately need it....TKs or Welves, anyone? As for the bandwagon, I understand how people develop a sense of ownership, but that bandwagon is a healthy thing for our hobby. Don't worry, the players who are true faddists will move on soon enough.

giant stegadon
14-03-2011, 05:26
When a friend & I started WHFB basically in a void (during 7th) he picked Deamons b/c he also had some friends that played 40k. While neither of us has any clue what we were doing, I still gave him endless hell about his 'broken' choice.

He of course was punished by other gamers for his unforgivable sin by not playing him. Stupid, stupid noobs.

p.s. I was also a 2nd ed Psion in D&D...super fun but theres always a reason for a new edition.

Voss
14-03-2011, 05:37
It's a natural reaction to wanting to be cool and obscure. Everyone wails when their favourite band gets popular; ironically very few of those 'hardcore fans' are still listening when the band slips into obscurity once again.

A natural reaction? No, not really. Its a specific reaction from a very limited and entitled world view, whether its aristos scoffing at the nouveau rich, or goth kids getting bitter about glitter vampires.

minionboy
14-03-2011, 06:16
I've noticed that anyone who starts a new army when a new book comes out is labeled a "Bandwagoner," which disappoints me because often when a new book comes out, the new minis, exciting rules and sudden GW support, people get inspired to expand their collections and create new armies.

I've been playing long enough to have literally owned an army for each of the different books at one time or another, often times people confuse inspiration for bandwagoning. On that note, I'm currently resisting the urge to make my 3rd OnG army.

herohammer
14-03-2011, 08:06
Play Fimir if you want to be sure you're precious and unique.
I actually play fimir
:cool: using ogre kingdoms rules but still:D